Then and Now: Rams Depth Chart in 2011, 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Let's take a look at what we have wrought as a team over the past several years. Position-by-position, how has this team evolved since Fisher took over.

Position - 2011 Starter - 2015 Starter (Projected)
QB - Sam Bradford - Nick Foles
WR1 - Brandon Lloyd - Kenny Britt
WR2 - Brandon Gibson - Brian Quick
WR3/Slot - Danny Amendola - Tavon Austin
RB - Steven Jackson - Tre Mason/Todd Gurley
TE - Lance Kendricks - Jared Cook
LT - Rodger Saffold - Greg Robinson
LG - Jacob Bell - Rodger Saffold
C - Jason Brown - Barrett Jones (SEZ ME)
RG - Harvey Dahl - Jamon Brown
RT - Jason Smith/Mark LeVoir - Rob Havenstein
DE - Chris Long - Chris Long
DE - Robert Quinn - Robert Quinn
DT - Fred Robbins? - Michael Brockers
DT - Gary Gibson? Darrell Scott? - Aaron Donald
MLB - James Laurinaitis - James Laurinaitis
OLB - Chris Chamberlain - Alec Ogletree
OLB - Brady Poppinga - Akeem Ayers
SS - James Butler - TJ McDonald
FS - Quintin Mikell - Rodney McLeod
CB - Ron Bartell - Janoris Jenkins
CB - Jerome Murphy? - Trumaine Johnson
CB - Josh Gordy (bhahahaha) - EJ Gaines

Edited for formatting... GIVE ME REAL HTML PLZ

bskrilla

Starter
Is there a single position we aren't better at now? Or at least as good as?

QB, RB, WR1, and FS are the only ones even close right? Mikell had a pretty solid season in 2011, and QB is close just based on potential, because Sam only played 10 games that year.

Maybe a younger CLong or JLau would likely be better.

Everything looks like a pretty serious upgrade.

EDIT: Center. I forgot how good Jason Brown was at one point.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd say going into the 2011 season, from a pure talent perspective, we SHOULD have had a fantastic O-line. Saffold-Bell-Brown-Dahl-Smith should have been beastly. Shame how reality turned out.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm assuming maybe this is up to compare? So, just some random thoughts about comparing...

QBSam BradfordNick Foles
Well, we still don't know who is better, IMO

WR1Brandon LloydKenny Britt
At the time, Lloyd was considered a very good WR and actually had some success with the Rams as I recall.

WR2Brandon GibsonBrian Quick
Gibson was just so-so... average, at best. I am looking forward to seeing how Quick bounces back from that serious injury. Reports so far seem optimistic... so I will be too.

WR3/SlotDanny AmendolaTavon Austin
The real issue for Amendola was health, right? But, when he was healthy, he was superior to what we've seen of Austin thus far. Maybe Austin breaks out and exceeds Amendola when healthy this year.

RBSteven JacksonTre Mason/Todd Gurley
Tis is what makes any comparison hard. Jackson was an established premier player back then. Can't compare the kids to him yet.

TELance KendricksJared Cook
To me, Kendricks is pretty close to Cook as I write this (better blocker, better hands... but Cook gets his targets, etc.)

LTRodger SaffoldGreg Robinson
I don't think Saffold was as good a T as he is a G... and Robinson is only in his second year... so... ????

LGJacob BellRodger Saffold
Bell, a Linehan acquisition IIRC, was bad... this one is easy....

CJason BrownBarrett Jones (SEZ ME)
Brown never lived up to his rep (sound familiar? A vet Olineman with a good rep comes to the Rams and drops off? :cry:)

RGHarvey DahlJamon Brown
Dahl was also bad... Brown is new... upgrade? Hope so!! Shouldn't take much from Brown.

RTJason Smith/Mark LeVoirRob Havenstein
Ah... Jason Smith... one of the worst busts in Rams history. Havenstein would have to have both his legs cut off to perform to Smith's level. :LOL:

DEChris LongChris Long
Solid player... still glad to have him!

DERobert QuinnRobert Quinn
Elite player!

DTFred Robbins?Michael Brockers
Ya know, Robbins did pretty well for us while he was here... that last year, I think he got hurt or his play tailed off because he was pretty old by then... he was part of Spagnuolo's effort to get over the hump with vets (one of his old Giants players). Clearly, it didn't work.

DTGary Gibson? Darrell Scott?Aaron Donald
Give me Donald!!

MLBJames LaurinaitisJames Laurinaitis
Solid player... still glad to have him!

OLBChris ChamberlainAlec Ogletree
Give me Ogletree.. but I want a consistent year out of him, please.

OLBBrady PoppingaAkeem Ayers
Clearly, Poppinga! :LOL:

SSJames ButlerTJ McDonald
McDonald.

FSQuintin MikellRodney McLeod
Mikell was a good, solid safety. Is McLeod as good? Time will tell.

CBRon BartellJanoris Jenkins
Jenkins (cringes)...

CBJerome Murphy?Trumaine Johnson
Johnson.

CBJosh Gordy (bhahahaha)EJ Gaines
Why are you laughing at Gordy?

Last edited:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'd say going into the 2011 season, from a pure talent perspective, we SHOULD have had a fantastic O-line. Saffold-Bell-Brown-Dahl-Smith should have been beastly. Shame how reality turned out.
Well you also have to take into account that half of those guys were in their twilight years. On paper maybe 5 years before 2011 that would have been beastly, but only Dahl had anything left at that point. Bell and Brown were washed up.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Well you also have to take into account that half of those guys were in their twilight years. On paper maybe 5 years before 2011 that would have been beastly, but only Dahl had anything left at that point. Bell and Brown were washed up.
I'm not sure that's true... Brown was 28. Bell was 30. Dahl 30. Smith 25. Saffold 23. By all accounts, that should have been an O-line that was a strength of the Rams for the next three to five years.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This, on looking back, seems laughable...and painful...why open old wounds?
At the time, Lloyd was considered a very good WR and actually had some success with the Rams as I recall.
I liked Lloyd...thought he should have been re-signed.
@DCH I liked Josh Gordy....dude was thrown into the fire & survived....

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm not sure that's true... Brown was 28. Bell was 30. Dahl 30. Smith 25. Saffold 23. By all accounts, that should have been an O-line that was a strength of the Rams for the next three to five years.
Everybody runs out of steam at different times. Brown's heart wasn't into it anymore and Bell was definitely washed up, he lacked the speed and movement that made him good for the Titans and it showed, and judging by what he said when he retired it looked like he slowly lost heart too. Can't call Saffold or Smith washed up because they were young and Smith never had it.

Lot of guys taper out in their 30s, not everyone can be like Paces or Ogdens playing almost into their 40s at a high level. I probably should have specified I meant football twilight years, not like normal twilight years.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
This, on looking back, seems laughable...and painful...why open old wounds?
I liked Lloyd...thought he should have been re-signed.
@DCH I liked Josh Gordy....dude was thrown into the fire & survived....
When McDaniels went, he took Lloyd with him.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, we still don't know who is better, IMO

I think Sam is better based on talent alone.

At the time, Lloyd was considered a very good WR and actually had some success with the Rams as I recall

I hated this trade and was the final straw with the Billy Devaeny/Steve Spagwhatever duo. He was a journeyman and still is. Overrated. Trading for a journeyman, SMH.

Gibson was just so-so... average, at best. I am looking forward to seeing how Quick bounces back from that serious injury. Reports so far seem optimistic.. so I will be too.

Brandon Gibson really never improved. But he always made important catches.

The real issue for Amendola was health, right? But, when he was healthy, he was superior to what we've seen of Austin thus far. Maybe Austin breaks out and exceeds Amendola when healthy this year.

Different kind of players. Danny was the feeder, Tavon is the gamebreaker.

To me, Kendricks is pretty close to Close as I write this (better blocker, better hands... but Cook gets his targets, etc.)

I think this is a wash, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I don't think Saffold was as good a T as he is a G... and Robinson is only in his second year... so... ????

Rodger Saffold was pretty good at tackle, until he kept getting hurt.

Bell, a Linehan acquisition IIRC, was bad... this one is easy....

He wasn't THAT bad.

Brown never lived up to his rep (sound familiar? A vet Olineman with a good rep comes to the Rams and drops off? :cry:)

He actually had a damn good season his first year here, but then stopped caring. But I always give him a pass based on his personal life. I don't blame him.

Dahl was also bad... Brown is new... upgrade? Hope so!! Shouldn't take much from Brown.

He wasn't bad. Maybe overhyped.

Ah.. Jason Smith... one of the worst busts in Rams hitory. Havenstein would have to have both his legs cut odd to perform to Smith's level. :LOL:

I always wonder how Jason Smith would've turned out if he never had those concussions.

Ya know, Robbins did pretty well for us while he was here... that last year, I think he got hurt or his play tailed off because he was pretty old by then... he was part of Spagnuolo's effort to get over the hump with vets (one of his old Giants players). Clearly, it didn't work.

Yeah, 1 good year and then the wear and tear of 10+ years caught up to him.

Give me Donald!!

Hell, I'd take Alex Carrington.

Give me Ogletree.. but I want a consistent year out of him, please.

Chris Chamberlain was forced there right because of injury? He and Bryan Kehl.

Clearly, Poppinga!

He was entertaining on the radio.

Jenkins (cringes)...

I always liked Ron. Still think he'd be here for a while longer if he didn't hurt his neck.

Yup.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Jenkins (cringes)...
I dunno about that. Bartell was actually a really good damn CB, covered a lot of the bigger names in the NFL really well. It was him injuring his neck that really spelled curtains for him, any idiot not named Al Davis could see that he wasn't going to recover from that.

Big Game

Living The Dream
WOW we have had pretty much a complete make over of the roster. Shows how bad the front office was during those years. Are should I say how many misses on draft picks and vets we either drafted or brought in.

Glad Les Snead and Fish have gotten this team back to respectability now go win some games this year!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's very telling to me in just a few years we've turned over every position but 3, well 2 really since Saffold is at guard now. Just our two DE are in the same spot.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
It's very telling to me in just a few years we've turned over every position but 3, well 2 really since Saffold is at guard now. Just our two DE are in the same spot.
JL

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
MLB?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hated this trade and was the final straw with the Billy Devaeny/Steve Spagwhatever duo. He was a journeyman and still is. Overrated. Trading for a journeyman, SMH.
Wasn't McDaniels the driver of that trade? I may be wrong.

Different kind of players. Danny was the feeder, Tavon is the gamebreaker.
Gioven Amendola's shortened career and all... Austin ought to be able to surpass his numbers easily. We shall see.

He wasn't THAT bad.
You are very gracious IMO

He actually had a damn good season his first year here, but then stopped caring. But I always give him a pass based on his personal life. I don't blame him.
Again, very gracious... funny how one article can change the view of a person forever.