The X-factor players for all 32 NFL teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
The X-factor players for all 32 NFL teams
By Danny Kelly

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/5/22/8620327/surprise-players-every-nfl-team-jadeveon-clowney-rg3

Danny Kelly has a look at the one player on every roster that can put their team over the top.

Every NFL team has a wild-card player or two. Prior performance be damned: 2015 is a blank slate, and if these players can perform up to their potential (or outperform it), they could help turn the tide for their team and become the driving force for success. On Wednesday, we looked at five X-factor players who could really change the NFL landscape, but let's make a quick run-through of the other 27 teams.

As a quick refresher, our other five players were: Darren McFadden, Dallas; Frank Gore, Indianapolis; Jairus Byrd, New Orleans; Haloti Ngata, Detroit; and Sam Bradford, Philadelphia.

Arizona Cardinals: DB Tyrann Mathieu

Mathieu's shot at the Defensive Rookie of the Year award in 2013 was cut short by an ACL tear. He appeared in 13 games last season, but played sparingly as the team eased him back into action. The instinctive and playmaking ballhawk should find himself in a versatile role in 2015 for Arizona's new defensive coordinator, James Bettcher, and could be a big spark to what was an already dominant group. The prototypical joker piece on defense, Mathieu has an uncanny feel for where the ball is going, and in an increasingly "spread out" NFL, should play a big role matched up with slot receivers, tight ends, and running backs.

Atlanta Falcons: DT/DE Ra'Shede Hageman

Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn utilized Michael Bennett in a number of roles in 2014. He won from the weak side end spot, the three-technique under-tackle position, and from the strong side end, depending on the down and distance. Will Hageman become Quinn's version of Bennett for his new defense?

The former Minnesota standout isn't necessarily similar to Bennett in size and speed, but he's got the physical ability at 6'6, 310 pounds to dominate at the point of attack when he's really on his game. Quinn has a reputation for maximizing skill-sets among his players, and made his mark on pretty much every defensive line he's coached over the years. As has been pointed out over the past few weeks, there's a reason that his former players want to follow Quinn to Atlanta. Will Hageman live up to his physical potential and become that moveable chess piece for his new head coach? If so, it would have an enormous impact on the rest of the defense.

Baltimore Ravens: WR Steve Smith

Baltimore's going to need a steady offensive weapon to lean on with the loss of Torrey Smith in free agency. A trio of rookie draft picks -- Breshad Perriman, Maxx Williams, and Darren Waller -- have immense potential, but in the immediate future, the Ravens will need to lean on their experienced vets. Smith, the salty playmaker, caught 79 passes in 2014 but just turned 36 -- will he continue to produce the way the Ravens need him to? That's a big factor.

Buffalo Bills: QB Matt Cassel/E.J. Manuel

Look, the NFL is a passing league and quarterback's the most important position, period. The Bills already had a sick defense, and they've added to Rex Ryan's offensive weaponry during the offseason. They look poised to challenge the Patriots for AFC East dominance, but there's that enormous question at the quarterback position. Will E.J. Manuel take a big leap in his third season and lead the Bills to the promised land? Or, will Buffalo to lean on the steady but limited Cassel? The answers to those questions could have major implications.

Carolina Panthers: LT Michael Oher

It's a bold move by Carolina to depend on the veteran Michael Oher to protect Cam Newton's blind side. That could mean Newton's time to throw to new weapon Devin Funchess is limited. The Panthers may have the twin-towers receiving duo in Funchess and Kelvin Benjamin, but can they give the QB the time to drop back?

Chicago Bears: QB Jay Cutler

I don't even have to say it. You know.

Cincinnati Bengals: QB Andy Dalton

I ... I don't even have to say it here either, because you know.

Cleveland Browns: QB Josh McCown/Johnny Manziel

I really love what the Browns did in the draft and free agency, but at the risk of being obvious, the quarterback position is pretty important. McCown's the likely starter here. If Johnny Football can somehow skyrocket into maturity and be the player the Browns envisioned, he could really shake up an uber-competitive AFC North. Cleveland's run game should be solid; their offensive line is among the league's best.

Denver Broncos: WR Cody Latimer

The Broncos switched from a wide-open passing offense that helped Peyton Manning throw 55 touchdowns in 2013, to a more balanced, run-heavy style in 2014, which saw "only" 39 touchdowns from the future Hall of Famer. Denver may go that balanced route again next season, but if Cody Latimer can emerge as another viable touchdown maker for the Broncos offense, could we see Manning have yet another renaissance? Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders are the major go-to players in this offense, but if Latimer -- who only caught two passes last year -- can break out, this Denver offense could be scary.

Green Bay Packers: WR Davante Adams

Like Latimer in Denver, Davante Adams has the real opportunity to become a premiere touchdown maker for an already stacked offense. Adams excels in jump ball situations with his strong hands, and it just so happens that Aaron Rodgers is maybe the best quarterback in the NFL in giving his receivers a chance for those passes. Adams caught 38 throws for 446 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie, but could make a big jump in year two.

Houston Texans: OLB Jadeveon Clowney

This one's obvious -- if Clowney can get healthy and play the way that helped earn him the reputation as a generational talent, the Texans could potentially field two of the most dominant defensive players in the game when paired with J.J. Watt.

Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Blake Bortles

The Jags have made major investments into putting weapons around Bortles -- from the offensive line (Luke Joekel, Jermey Parnell, A.J. Cann, Stefen Wisneiwski), to the receiving corps (Julius Thomas, Allen Robinson, Marqise Lee, Rashad Greene), to the running backs group (T.J. Yeldon, Denard Robinson, Toby Gerhardt) -- and hope that these additions can take the pressure off of their second year signal caller. Bortles' first year was rough, but if he can make a jump in 2015 and produce at a level they believe he can, the Jags could make a run in the AFC South.

Kansas City Chiefs: WR Jeremy Maclin

The Chiefs' main goal in 2015 is to probably have a receiver score a touchdown. I'm actually pretty high on the Chiefs for next season. I think they got better in the draft, already had a pretty talented defensive group and can obviously run the ball. If they can score with more regularity in the passing game, they could really surprise some people. Maclin obviously has experience under Andy Reid, so I'm guessing Reid has a specific plan in mind for him.

Miami Dolphins: DT Ndamukong Suh

The Dolphins gave Suh quarterback money, so they are evidently hoping that he can have a quarterback-level impact on the defense. Miami's front-line is already extremely talented, and adding Suh brings a whole new dimension. That's what they're banking on, of course.

Minnesota Vikings: RB Adrian Peterson

He's still the best running back in the game. With the further development of Teddy Bridgewater, that Vikings offense could be better than people expect in 2015. It starts with Peterson, though. He'll be the catalyst.

New England Patriots: S Devin McCourty

Darrelle Revis, Brandon Browner and Kyle Arrington are all gone. I don't know what Bill Belichick's plan is for the secondary, but McCourty, one of the best safeties in the game, will have a lot on his shoulders. Without most of his secondary-mates from 2014, the Patriots' defense will need him to carry the load.

New York Giants: WR Victor Cruz

His 2014 season was cut short because of a devastating patellar tendon injury, an exit that was overshadowed by Odell Beckham's freakish breakout to the NFL receiving elite. I have to think that OBJ will only get better, but if Cruz can make it back onto the field and look even remotely like his former self, Eli Manning's going to have himself a great receiving duo.

New York Jets: WR Brandon Marshall

The Jets needed a true No. 1 receiver and got one in Marshall. This pushes Eric Decker to his true niche as an outside No. 2 type of guy. Adding in Devin Smith as a take-the-top of a defense third or fourth receiver gives New York some weapons to put around their quarterback Geno Smith. Bottom line? Marshall gives the Jets a better chance at scoring touchdowns -- just what they need.

Oakland Raiders: RB Trent Richardson

Look, I'm not saying this will happen, but if Trent Richardson suddenly has the lightbulb go on for him and he starts to live up to the billing he earned coming out of Alabama, the Raiders just hit the jackpot.

Pittsburgh Steelers: RB DeAngelo Williams

The Steelers face the prospect of playing without one of their top offensive weapons in Le'Veon Bell for the first three games of the season. Much of the offense runs through the versatile runner and pass-catcher, and without a true backup, Pittsburgh went out and signed 32-year old veteran DeAngelo Williams. They will likely lean on the former Panther to carry the load as they face the Patriots, 49ers, and Rams to start the season. Those are some tough front-sevens, and in the ultra competitive AFC North, every game counts. Williams could turn into a big-time wild card for Pittsburgh's season.

San Diego Chargers: RB Melvin Gordon

The Chargers averaged 3.4 yards per carry in 2015, second-worst in the league, only better than Arizona. Trading up to grab the former Badger in Gordon is a clear signal that San Diego wants to improve their run game in 2015. With Phillip Rivers still calling the shots from under center, Gordon could make a major impact for a team that's searched for a true franchise bell cow over the past few years.

Seattle Seahawks: TE Jimmy Graham

The Seahawks struggled in two areas on offense last year: third downs and in the red zone. The Jimmy Graham acquisition was a clear response to this. There have only been a few more prolific touchdown makers than Graham over the past four years (in fact -- only Marshawn Lynch and Dez Bryant). Adding Graham to Seattle's already efficient offense could pay huge dividends for the Super Bowl runner-ups.

San Francisco 49ers: DT Darnell Dockett

The Niners need to replace Justin Smith in 2015. There are a few high-potential players waiting in the wings, but San Francisco needs a bridge on the defensive line that can hold things together until Arik Armstead, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial and/or Lawrence Okoye step up as a true impact players. Dockett's a fiery leader on the field and plays with a berserker style that sets the example for players around him -- and that kind of veteran presence will be helpful for a group that will have to cope with the loss of Patrick Willis and Justin Smith.

St. Louis Rams: DT Nick Fairley

When he's on, Nick Fairley's one of the tougher dudes in the NFL to block. He'll be lining up next to Aaron Donald -- another one of the NFL's toughest dudes to block -- on nickel downs. If you thought the Rams' defensive line was fearsome before, the former Lion has a chance to make them unstoppable. It's all about potential vs. reality with Fairley -- so he's a big-time wild card for the Rams.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: QB Jameis Winston

Duh.

Tennessee Titans: QB Marcus Mariota

No doy.

Washington: QB Robert Griffin III

Obviously, this looks like RG3's last chance in Washington -- even with their decision to pick up his fifth-year option for 2016. If Griffin falters again this year, the team can release him with no salary cap ramifications, and that'll be all she wrote in Washington for the 2012 Rookie of the Year. However, no one's forgetting what Griffin did prior to tearing up his knee that year, and new GM Scot McCloughan looked to help out his potential franchise QB by drafting college's best offensive lineman this year in Brandon Scherff. Griffin's now a few years out from his injury and should be closer to a full recovery -- and if he can put up a performance anywhere near that of his rookie year, get ready for a huge shakeup in the NFC East.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Fairley? Nope. Not even close. X-Factor is the same player I picked to break out. Greg Robinson. If he becomes what his talent indicates, then our offensive line is going to be unchallengeable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You could make a strong case for Fairley. In nickel or obvious passing situations, he's an upgrade over Brockers IMO.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Pretty sure it's Nick Foles, our D-line is already dangerous without Fairley. How Foles performs with his new team will likely depend on how much wins we get this season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pass rushing wise? Maybe. I think Brockers is better overall.
Probably right, but we'll see. And yeah, I did say passing situations, because I don't know how well he does against the run. I do know that Brockers is the unsung hero of that line because he's such an effective space-eater, but I think we'll see much more interior pressure with Fairley in there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pretty sure it's Nick Foles, our D-line is already dangerous without Fairley. How Foles performs with his new team will likely depend on how much wins we get this season.

This is my take.

The media loves to credit Kelly for Foles success, but Warner proved he was more than Martz made.

Foles is our X factor - hands down.

He plays well this team is going deep in the playoffs.

Fairly could shit the bed and if Foles plays well that don't change.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is it just me, or does every thread that has the letter X isolated in it make you do a double-take because you think it's about you?

Yeah, it's probably just me.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I have to agree if Foles plays like 2013 Fairley could suck and it wouldn't matter.

Why did they pick him anyway? An X factor on an already stacked line. Aside from Foles, i would think offensive players like Austin and Bailey.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
The x-factor is if that young Oline as a whole gels quickly...grob included. Without that Foles, Gurley, and the wrs probably dont do their x-factor thing either. To me its all about offense if you wanna talk X factor. Fairley is nice and if he kills it, great!. But pass rush really isn't an area where we need a silver bullet to take us to the next level.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that calling Foles the X Factor kind of flies in the face of what they're trying to accomplish. It's undoubtedly true that Foles is the most important guy to our success this year. But that's true of the QB on all 32 teams. Just the nature of the position and its value.

So if we're looking at it that way, every team's "X Factor" is the QB. But I think they're trying to avoid that distinction. But it seems to me that they're picking players who either through injuries, poor play, or for another reason (AP - Suspension for example) did not have the impact they have the potential to make last year. And that sort of impact could make a large difference for the team they are on this year.

Yes, Foles could fit into that narrative but I think Foles is who he is. And I don't mean that in the negative sense. Just that I don't see him coming out and having a monster year which is what I think the point of this list is.

I also must disagree with Fairley. Fairley is certainly capable of having a monster year but I don't think he has the same sort of impact that two other players I have in mind would if they break out just because our DL is already stacked.

So that begs the question, who is the Rams' "X Factor"? For me, there are two names that immediately came to mind.

1. Tavon Austin - While I've already said that I have no idea what Tavon will offer us in 2015, I think that's largely the point of this list. But if Tavon breaks out, he doesn't just offer us a good receiving option. He's a player that can flip the field and score TDs on special teams, rip off chunk plays on the occasional run, and score from anywhere on the field as a receiver. That sounds like quite the X Factor to me. If Tavon really breaks out and provides us the type of threat he has the potential to be, he makes this offense a dangerous, explosive unit and gives us arguably the best special teams unit in the NFL.

2. Todd Gurley - I hate to put rookies on the list but the article did so I think it's only fair. My personal opinion is that the HB position is the second most impactful position in football behind the QB. I believe if you do the research, it'll actually represent that this claim is not exaggerated. People devalue the HB position but the truth is that it's the average HBs that aren't value. There are far too many competent HBs in the NFL right now and it's easy to replace a competent HB with another competent HB. However, the very good/great/elite HBs are not easily replaceable as Adrian Peterson proved last year. They impact the game in such a large way that losing their presence can change an offense entirely. And right now, the top couple tiers of HBs are the weakest they've been in years.

Getting to Gurley, if Gurley is healthy (and that's a big if), Gurley is the type of talent that could entirely change this offense and team. And I mean that. He's a guy that could influence a 4-5 win swing. And people will call me crazy but if you go back and look at many great HBs in their prime, when they were at their best, they were capable of elevating teams far beyond what they should have been capable of. Because not only does Gurley make our offense a far more effective unit but a run heavy gameplan puts far less stress on the defense and keeps them off the field. It shortens the game. It basically has the opposite effect of what Philly does. And it's the strategy that Seattle has used for the past few years which is why their defense saw the second fewest drives of any defense in the NFL last year.

It's been stated over and over again that Gurley is incredible talent and that's undeniably true. I went to South Carolina during Gurley's first two years at Georgia and I went to UF during his final year at Georgia. I've seen up close and person just how good Gurley is. He's a team changing type of talent. Some compare him to Adrian Peterson but I'm not quite willing to go that far. However, Gurley's combination of burst, speed, size, strength/power, and violent running style along with his pass catching ability does make him a rare talent. I've compared him to Edgerrin James. Others have compared him to Fred Taylor or Jamal Lewis or Eddie George or Marshawn Lynch. All are high praise. If Gurley can come in healthy and be ready to take over as our bell-cow HB around Week 4 or Week 5, he has the talent to put up a rookie season on par with the top 25 HB rookie seasons of the Super Bowl era. And if he does that, he will completely change the game for this team. Here are the 1000+ yard seasons since the merger:
http://pfref.com/tiny/AyekV

If Gurley put up a season comparable with the top 25 seasons on that list, we've suddenly got ourselves a potent and effective offense to go along with our defense as long as Foles is capable of managing the game efficiently.

And just as a quick aside, I don't know if you noticed but every single player that I noted that Gurley has been compared to is on that list.

So if I'm being honest, Gurley is our team's "X Factor" but I did want a chance to give Austin some positive attention. :LOL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably right, but we'll see. And yeah, I did say passing situations, because I don't know how well he does against the run. I do know that Brockers is the unsung hero of that line because he's such an effective space-eater, but I think we'll see much more interior pressure with Fairley in there.

Depends on the role. If we're talking about who is better purely, you can make a very strong argument for Fairley if he's healthy and motivated.(which can be an issue with him)

However, Fairley is super effective in the Donald role as a 3-Technique (is a very disruptive run stopper and pass rusher). In the Brockers role (1-Technique Nose), he's not anywhere near as good as Brockers.

But yes, Fairley will add far more on passing downs. Brockers is an unsung hero but he's nothing to fear as a pass rusher. Fairley is. He has the talent and has shown (at times) that he can be one of the most disruptive interior rushers in the league. Problem with him has been consistency, effort, and health. I think the first two won't be an issue this year. He has something to prove to earn that next big contract and is in the perfect situation to do it.

Alan

Legend
-X- with this:
Is it just me, or does every thread that has the letter X isolated in it make you do a double-take because you think it's about you?
Yes, It's just you.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Yeah, it's probably just me.

Maybe you should role with it and start making your own references to your name and have an annual X-Factor list. Then you could have a list later on called the X-men, followed be the Xponential, Xtreme, Xact, Xtreme, Xtra, Xude.

When I read the thread title I thought this was your list too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think that calling Foles the X Factor kind of flies in the face of what they're trying to accomplish. It's undoubtedly true that Foles is the most important guy to our success this year. But that's true of the QB on all 32 teams. Just the nature of the position and its value.

So if we're looking at it that way, every team's "X Factor" is the QB. But I think they're trying to avoid that distinction. But it seems to me that they're picking players who either through injuries, poor play, or for another reason (AP - Suspension for example) did not have the impact they have the potential to make last year. And that sort of impact could make a large difference for the team they are on this year.

Yes, Foles could fit into that narrative but I think Foles is who he is. And I don't mean that in the negative sense. Just that I don't see him coming out and having a monster year which is what I think the point of this list is.

I also must disagree with Fairley. Fairley is certainly capable of having a monster year but I don't think he has the same sort of impact that two other players I have in mind would if they break out just because our DL is already stacked.

So that begs the question, who is the Rams' "X Factor"? For me, there are two names that immediately came to mind.

1. Tavon Austin - While I've already said that I have no idea what Tavon will offer us in 2015, I think that's largely the point of this list. But if Tavon breaks out, he doesn't just offer us a good receiving option. He's a player that can flip the field and score TDs on special teams, rip off chunk plays on the occasional run, and score from anywhere on the field as a receiver. That sounds like quite the X Factor to me. If Tavon really breaks out and provides us the type of threat he has the potential to be, he makes this offense a dangerous, explosive unit and gives us arguably the best special teams unit in the NFL.

2. Todd Gurley - I hate to put rookies on the list but the article did so I think it's only fair. My personal opinion is that the HB position is the second most impactful position in football behind the QB. I believe if you do the research, it'll actually represent that this claim is not exaggerated. People devalue the HB position but the truth is that it's the average HBs that aren't value. There are far too many competent HBs in the NFL right now and it's easy to replace a competent HB with another competent HB. However, the very good/great/elite HBs are not easily replaceable as Adrian Peterson proved last year. They impact the game in such a large way that losing their presence can change an offense entirely. And right now, the top couple tiers of HBs are the weakest they've been in years.

Getting to Gurley, if Gurley is healthy (and that's a big if), Gurley is the type of talent that could entirely change this offense and team. And I mean that. He's a guy that could influence a 4-5 win swing. And people will call me crazy but if you go back and look at many great HBs in their prime, when they were at their best, they were capable of elevating teams far beyond what they should have been capable of. Because not only does Gurley make our offense a far more effective unit but a run heavy gameplan puts far less stress on the defense and keeps them off the field. It shortens the game. It basically has the opposite effect of what Philly does. And it's the strategy that Seattle has used for the past few years which is why their defense saw the second fewest drives of any defense in the NFL last year.

It's been stated over and over again that Gurley is incredible talent and that's undeniably true. I went to South Carolina during Gurley's first two years at Georgia and I went to UF during his final year at Georgia. I've seen up close and person just how good Gurley is. He's a team changing type of talent. Some compare him to Adrian Peterson but I'm not quite willing to go that far. However, Gurley's combination of burst, speed, size, strength/power, and violent running style along with his pass catching ability does make him a rare talent. I've compared him to Edgerrin James. Others have compared him to Fred Taylor or Jamal Lewis or Eddie George or Marshawn Lynch. All are high praise. If Gurley can come in healthy and be ready to take over as our bell-cow HB around Week 4 or Week 5, he has the talent to put up a rookie season on par with the top 25 HB rookie seasons of the Super Bowl era. And if he does that, he will completely change the game for this team. Here are the 1000+ yard seasons since the merger:
http://pfref.com/tiny/AyekV

If Gurley put up a season comparable with the top 25 seasons on that list, we've suddenly got ourselves a potent and effective offense to go along with our defense as long as Foles is capable of managing the game efficiently.

And just as a quick aside, I don't know if you noticed but every single player that I noted that Gurley has been compared to is on that list.

So if I'm being honest, Gurley is our team's "X Factor" but I did want a chance to give Austin some positive attention. :LOL:

I don't think we see Gurleys true impact until 2016. Tavon as an X factor? I never saw the potential that you did. I hope your right.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with CodeMonkey that the Xfactor for the Rams is the Oline. They will change the fortune of the team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe you should role with it and start making your own references to your name and have an annual X-Factor list.
ohboy.gif