The X-Factor of 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I know media circles and fan forums would put Bradford at the top of the list for our team. Definitions of "X-Factor" may vary, but my interpretation is a player or unit that who's varying performance will make or break a game. I emphasize "varying performance." Consistent players who play at a high level are not X-Factors, they are "Keys" or "Staples" to a teams's success. Manning, AP, Rogers, and Watt are all staples of their teams due to consistency. Some X-Factors are guys like D. Jackson, Devin Hester, Bears defense scoring points, due to the varying nature of their performances.

Here's the bottom line on Bradford, you can rarely pin a game on him for its negative outcome. He is a very consistent performer. He is a developed player and is ready to take to take the next step in his career. Bradford is the "Key" to our team, a staple.

The X-Factor of our team this year has to be Tavon Austin or WR'ing group as a whole. This is what will make us or break us going forward.

(This is a big jump from last year. We didn't even have enough peices to categorize any part of the offense as "X-Factors" because we had way too many "?'s." The OL was make shift from the start, we didn't really know what we had in our young WR's, and our there was very little seperation in our RB's. Manu of these questions have adimently been solved, amazingly.

We know our starters on the OL (very stout unit for the first time in forever), a proven RB in Stacy, and and Bradford is dam good (Every team needs their franchise QB healthy, that's a given)).

Being I am sold on our QB, OL, running game, and, defense as a whole (all staples... wow), the performance of our WR's has the biggest impact to make us. In fact if we didn't have Tavon Austin then this unit as as a whole would be a straight up weakness. Fact of the matter is we do have all the components to dominate through the air. Tavon is a load by himself despite being limited by our the scheme last year. We have outside threats that can harass defenses. Givens showed it his rookie year, Quick should be primed to turn his head, and Bailey looked the best out of the three late in the year. I'm throwing Cook in the mix, too.

Teams will target our running game first and foremost, pure and simple. It's the perfect storm of opportunity for guys like Tavon and Givens to gash defenses on a more consistent basis. They are the straws that will snap the camel's back, and defenses will soon feel that pain.

It's all ahead of us, the glory days are back. This is our year.

crazyhorns

Rookie
To be honest I have not been this excited going into a season for over a decade. This team has the talent. They have the coaching that will get the best out of the talent.

I am not one who believes that all units have to play at high level to win. If the defense can play at an elite level then a good running game and a threat of downfield receivers the likes of Givens and Austin can create headaches for the opposing teams. The whiners and seahawgs did well with this formula the last few years. I believe the Rams are in position to compete with these teams and I also believe that when healthy I much rather have Bradford behind center than those other teams QB's. I know some will not agree but I feel that Bradford is accurate and you give him a lead with a running game opponents are going to find out just how accurate he is.

Go Rams

crazyhorns

Rookie
The additions of Joyner, Williams and Donald should help a lot. I do agree, though.

Don't forget Ried.

I like these guys a lot. These little guys have chips on their shoulders and do not play small but play big. Give the little guy who has a lot fight in them over a big guy who plays small anyday. Lets hope these guys motivate Quick to play big.

Go Rams

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't forget Ried.

I like these guys a lot. These little guys have chips on their shoulders and do not play small but play big. Give the little guy who has a lot fight in them over a big guy who plays small anyday. Lets hope these guys motivate Quick to play big.

Go Rams

Oh yeah, he was a force in college. I actually like him better than Gaines coming out.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I am not trying to stray ot but I don't think you can just proclaim our OL as being a strength yet. I think it is. But I haven't seen us running the ball on the NFC West yet and that my friend is the X factor. Thats what willl open up some room in the passing game.I believe in this group but GR is the only real addition so I call him the X factor on whether or not we run on these teams. Because however good we looked at times against the rest of the league, other than the first Seattle game our running game was shut down against the West

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
IMO, If it's an 8-8 or perhaps 9-7 team you're looking for, then Bradford as a "staple" is your man. If instead, you'd prefer an 11-5 team or better, then Bradford must be the difference maker regardless of who he's throwing too.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Bradford must be the difference maker regardless of who he's throwing too.

Dam, that mentality sounds like something straight out of Rams Talk. You didn't say it like a troll, though.

I wanna make this clear, it matters very much who you're throwing to. Sam has plenty of weapons, no question. I beleive in Quick, Givens, Cook, Tavon, and Bailey. Those are some really good options.

Just watch Tom Brady, a "difference maker" to you, throw to scrubs last year as compared to Gronk, Welker, and Moss over the years. He would tell you it matters very much.

I am not trying to stray ot but I don't think you can just proclaim our OL as being a strength yet. I think it is. But I haven't seen us running the ball on the NFC West yet and that my friend is the X factor. Thats what willl open up some room in the passing game.I believe in this group but GR is the only real addition so I call him the X factor on whether or not we run on these teams. Because however good we looked at times against the rest of the league, other than the first Seattle game our running game was shut down against the West

Dude, our OL is a strength. I do proclaim it from a mountain top and at the top of my lungs. However, it does no good if you can't run a balanced attack, see Denver, in this division. Our OL was good last year most of the time. We had Clemens under center, though. That makes it too easy for great defenses to stack the box the whole game. Since I proclaim Sam as a strength, as well, that makes our young WR'ing core the X-Factor. No doubt about it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I believe a lot of fans are overlooking or under-estimating Tavon Austin in the evaluation of this unit. With a unit this young; you can't evaluate last year. You need to be comfortable projecting a little. Which the Rams are doing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh, and... someone had to post this;

The-X-Factor1.jpg

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Oh, and... someone had to post this;

The-X-Factor1.jpg

Lol! Man that's cheesy...

I expected big things from Tavon last year. I thought we would target him in the manner we targeted Ammendola. Tavon didn't even come close to getting the looks Danny use to. I'm now convinced that it was by design. I don't beleive the coaches wanted expose Tavon or throw him into the fire so so early. I expect a much different approach. We need Tavon to be our go-to-guy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, If it's an 8-8 or perhaps 9-7 team you're looking for, then Bradford as a "staple" is your man. If instead, you'd prefer an 11-5 team or better, then Bradford must be the difference maker regardless of who he's throwing too.

I wouldn't have put it like that, but I agree that Sam Bradford is the "X" factor for this team if one is simply choosing one. It's just the nature of the position, in that he can have the greatest impact on this team's success of failure.