The World of Combine Training and other stuff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/05/nfl-draft-combine-training/

T-Minus 84 Days: The World of Combine Training
In the first installment of The MMQB's new weekly draft column: A peek inside the burgeoning industry of combine training. Plus, a bizarre run-in with Michael Sam's (now former) publicist, getting to know the late-round prospect whose brother is a three-time Pro Bowler, Quote of the Week, Stat of the Week and more
By Robert Klemko

PHOENIX — Just 20 miles from the site of the 49th Super Bowl, the next generation of NFL players are training for what has become the league’s most curious initiation ritual. At the EXOS facility in Phoenix, 30 men—all likely to be drafted into the NFL—spend their Saturday in high-intensity bench press sessions, pushing up 225 pounds to mimic the test they’ll perform at the upcoming combine.

Rabid shouts, most prominently from Nevada’s Brock Hekking, a pass-rushing prospect with a Brian Bosworth blond mullet, drown out the hip-hop. There are no high fives or embraces after a set well done—this is a desperate competition between relative strangers.

“It makes you want to fight more because you know the guys around you are fighting for the same thing,” says former LSU defensive end Danielle Hunter. “So when it gets down to that last rep, you can’t give up on it.”

The training is comprehensive, including tutoring on nutrition with an emphasis on recovery, but it is the least football-specific work done here. Every year the EXOS Phoenix training center (formerly Athletes Performance) hosts a class of approximately 30 prospects preparing for the league’s underwear Olympics. EXOS coaches estimate 30% come back the next offseason for a lower intensity course that includes more position specifics. For now it’s about 40-yard dashes and agility drills for guys like Arie Kouandjio, an offensive lineman from Alabama who will probably run 40 yards downfield once in a blue moon as a pro.

“The combine is something [NFL evaluators] like to see, so it’s something I’d like to do my best at,” he says. “I’m doing it because they like it. Right after the combine I’m going to focus on getting stronger, more football. But as far as the combine goes this is the best place to prepare.”

We visited EXOS during Super Bowl week partly out of convenience of the location. But it is also one of the most respected and popular offseason workout facilities in pro football, part of a burgeoning multimillion dollar industry that includes names like IMG, D1 and XPE, with sites all over the country.

Agents say that within the last two years incoming rookies have come to know which workout facility they’d like to attend before they pick their agent. “That was one of the biggest reasons I went with the agent I went with,” says former Texas State linebacker Mike Orakpo.

About half of the class of 30 in Phoenix are EXOS recruits, and the other half come from player referrals and/or agents whom EXOS regularly deals with.

“Our agents play a key role for us because they’ve had good experiences,” says EXOS NFL combine program director Adam Farrand. “The last couple years we’ve been very active in it. I want to educate kids on what’s available, whether that’s through a direct mailer or social media.”

Agents can expect to spend up to $20,000 on behalf of a player for six weeks of a program plus housing in the area. There have been instances of players dumping representation after the combine; most agents now include clauses in their agreements that allow them to recoup losses should a player move on.

“These programs are not a waste of money, but it’s being oversold,” says NFL agent Blake Baratz. “I think a great trainer is a great trainer. He can take you in the back yard and get the most out of you. It doesn’t have to be a fancy gym.

“With the players, it becomes keeping up with the Joneses. The kids start giving demands. I should get this and this other player gets this. They talk about the draft all day long until everyone’s blue in the face. What’s more important is that these guys are staying in shape after the draft to be ready for OTAs.”

EXOS organizers say the program does just that, primarily from an education standpoint, with classroom sessions on how to be a pro.

“The combine is such a different event than these guys are normally preparing for. It’s more like a track meet,” Farrand says. “They’re doing very specific tests. It’s very different than our NFL offseason program. On the education side is where we have the most impact on helping these guys for the rest of their career. The things they need to do to maintenance on their body.”

EXOS Director of Performance Education Nick Winkelman says that the balance between NFL prep and combine prep has been an internal topic of discussion. EXOS, which has facilities in Arizona, Texas, Florida, San Diego and Carson, Calif., trained 87 players for the combine a year ago, and they offer a discount to players returning during their first NFL offseason.

“We’ve been talking a lot about it lately,” Winkelman says. “When we talk about the rookie process we say ‘The most important step is the one in front of you.’ But you find that in preparing for the combine, you’re still gaining physical skills that translate to the game.”

Some players swear by EXOS’ combine prep and programs like it. Both Odell Beckham Jr. and Demaryius Thomas returned to facilities shortly after the season. Their motive? Recovering “that combine speed.”
Every week, we’ll ask a current NFL player what he would have done differently in the time between his final collegiate game and the day he was drafted…

Brock Vereen, Safety, Chicago Bears (2014 draft, round 4, pick 131): “I would spend more time taking care of my body. Not nutrition, because whoever you’re training with will definitely make sure that you’re eating right. But things like body recovery and flexibility. You don’t realize it during the season but really you’re playing two back-to-back seasons with no break in between since you roll right from your final college season into training, then into your first NFL season. You definitely feel the wear and tear around Week 10.”
You know Jameis and Marcus, Amari and Melvin. Every week in this space, we’ll introduce you to a lesser-known prospect of interest with whom you should become familiar…

Mike Orakpo, Linebacker, Texas State

mike-orakpo-360.jpg

Courtesy Texas State Athletics

Coincidentally, our first prospect turns 24 today, making him the oldest potential rookie training at the EXOS facility in Phoenix. Mike Orakpo, younger brother of former Washington first-round pick and three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Orakpo, took an inconceivably rocky path to the draft. He split five years between Colorado State, Baylor and Texas State. He transferred from CSU after being arrested and dismissed from the team in April 2012 for his role in what was described as a “beating” of several CSU students.

“I have one of my former teammates training with me here,” Orakpo said. “We talk about it from time to time. It’s my journey. It was my experience, and I can’t erase any of it. I had a good time there. I don’t have any ill will toward Colorado State. I had to move on.”

He became devoutly religious and, after a brief stop in Waco, eventually landed at Texas State. He made an immediate impact in the weight room (a school-record 500 pounds on the incline bench) and became a starter at middle linebacker with 4.5 speed, sideline-to-sideline range and unique stopping ability between the tackles. He entered his fifth and final season on the Butkus Award preseason watch list, but tore his ACL and MCL against Navy in the season’s second game.

“Coming into my senior year I had a good first game, and then second game, second series against Navy, boom, [my] whole season’s gone,” he says. “I’m a football geek, so it was tough not being able to be with my teammates. But I knew my leadership was still needed, so I needed to pick my head up and lead from the sideline.”

Orakpo has more played more football than most 30-year-old pros. He started playing tackle as an 8-year-old in Houston, actually before his older brother strapped on shoulder pads. (Brian, five years older, didn’t start playing until high school.) Mike played in 24 games at CSU and a full season at Texas State before he was a senior. He projects as a late-round pick or a UDFA and hopes to work out for teams at a date closer to the draft when he’s closer to full health.

“I’m not 100% healthy yet, but I’m still getting valuable technique down. I’m a month ahead of schedule and still have time.”
Jordan Plocher @StarvingScout

Based solely on film I would not draft Jameis Winston until the 3rd Round.

SportsNation ✔ @SportsNation

.@marcelluswiley: I'd take Cardale Jones (in the NFL draft) over Mariota.

thehammer

Rookie
Porsche to give out cars (with a cheetah on them) to players with the three fastest 40 times at the NFL combine

Phillip Dorsett has dibbs on one....

Athos

Legend
Well, everyone will be in on that action. Bet Archer wishes he could it again.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/323-players-invited-to-nfl-scouting-combine/

323 players invited to NFL scouting combine
Posted by Josh Alper on February 6, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptcwmmmwogq4ztfmnzrhmduymza3mzdmodvmntfizdjm.jpeg
AP

The NFL has released the list of the 323 players invited to take part in the annual scouting combine in Indianapolis that will be held from February 17-23.

All of the big names in this year’s draft class are on the list, including Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, USC defensive lineman Leonard Williams and Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper. You can check out the entire list right here.

There weren’t many notable seniors left off the list of invites, but two that jump out are Marshall quarterback Rakeem Cato and Michigan quarterback/wide receiver Devin Gardner. Cato threw 131 touchdown passes during his collegiate career, good for fourth in FBS history, and Gardner is trying to transition back to wideout after a disappointing career as a quarterback for the Wolverines.

Fourteen underclassmen who declared for the draft were also not invited. Wide receivers Zach D’Orazio (Akron); George Farmer (USC); Deontay Greenberry (Houston); Chris Harper (Cal); Nigel King (Kansas); Jaquel Pitts (Trinity International) and Tacoi Sumler (Appalachian State) make up the biggest group from any one position. Offensive tackle Patrick Miller (Auburn), guard Tyler Moore (Florida), defensive end Deion Barnes (Penn State), defensive tackle David Irving (Iowa State), linebacker Max Flores (Northern Colorado), linebacker Darien Rankin (North Carolina) and long snapper Easton Wahlstrom (Arizona State) round out the list.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16086/combine-names-to-know-for-the-rams

Combine names to know for the Rams
February, 9, 2015
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The annual NFL scouting combine is set to begin a little more than a week from Monday in Indianapolis. There, the NFL world will converge on Lucas Oil Stadium to get a look at the future of the league.

On Friday, the NFL released the names of the college players invited to participate in the yearly underwear olympics.

Of note locally, there are five former Missouri Tigers making the trip: receiver Dorial Green-Beckham (listed as Missouri even though he transferred to Oklahoma but didn't play), end Markus Golden, end Shane Ray, offensive tackle Mitch Morse and running back Marcus Murphy. Southern Illinois tight end MyCole Pruitt also earned an invite.

But for the St. Louis Rams, the focus is much broader. Namely, the Rams figure to enter this year's combine with a particular eye on the offensive line and at quarterback. Of course, that doesn't mean the Rams will ignore the other positions. In fact, they'll almost certainly interview every prospect in Indy either formally or informally.

In the meantime, here's a look at the quarterbacks and offensive linemen to receive invitations to Indianapolis:

Quarterbacks

Anthony Boone, Duke
Brandon Bridge, South Alabama
Cody Fajardo, Nevada
Garrett Grayson, Colorado State
Connor Halliday, Washington State
Brett Hundley, UCLA
Sean Mannion, Oregon State
Marcus Mariota, Oregon
Nick Marshall, Auburn
Bryce Petty, Baylor
Blake Sims, Alabama
Jameis Winston, Florida State
Bryan Bennett (throwing QB), Southeastern Louisiana
Shane Carden (throwing QB), East Carolina
Jerry Lovelocke (throwing QB), Prairie View A&M

Offensive linemen

Al Bond (OT), Memphis
Brett Boyko (OT), UNLV
Jamon Brown (OT), Louisville
Trenton Brown (OG), Florida
A.J. Cann (OG), South Carolina
T.J. Clemmings (OT), Pittsburgh
Takoby Cofield (OT), Duke
La'el Collins (OT), LSU
Rob Crisp (OT), North Carolina State
Reese Dismukes (C), Auburn
Andrew Donnal (OT), Iowa
Jamil Douglas (OT), Arizona State
Cameron Erving (OT), Florida State
Tayo Fabuluje (OT), TCU
Jon Feliciano (OG), Miami (Fla.)
BJ Finney (C), Kansas State
Jake Fisher (OT), Oregon
Ereck Flowers (OT), Miami (Fla.)
Andy Gallik (C), Boston College
Max Garcia (C), Florida
Laurence Gibson (OT), Virginia Tech
Mark Glowinski (OG), West Virginia
Hroniss Grasu (C), Oregon
Chaz Green (OT), Florida
Chad Hamilton (OT), Coastal Carolina
Jarvis Harrison (OG), Texas A&M
Bobby Hart (OT), Florida State
Rob Havenstein (OT), Wisconsin
Sean Hickey (OT), Syracuse
D.J. Humphries (OT), Florida
Tre Jackson (OG), Florida State
Arie Kouandjio (OG), Alabama
Greg Mancz (C), Toledo
Ali Marpet (OT), Hobart
Josue Matias (OG), Florida State
Darrian Miller (OT), Kentucky
John Miller (OG), Louisville
Mitch Morse (OT), Missouri
Robert Myers (OG), Tennessee State
Cedric Ogbuehi (OT), Texas A&M
Andrus Peat (OT), Stanford
Terry Poole (OT), San Diego State
Jeremiah Poutasi (OT), Utah
Corey Robinson (OT), South Carolina
Ty Sambrailo (OT), Colorado State
Brandon Scherff (OT), Iowa
Adam Shead (OG), Oklahoma
Austin Shepherd (OT), Alabama
Donovan Smith (OT), Penn State
Tyrus Thompson (OT), Oklahoma
Laken Tomlinson (OG), Duke
Daryl Williams (OT), Oklahoma

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That is a lazy list by Wagoner. Might as well just include the entire combine.

He could have actually picked certain QBs and Olinemen that he feels fit what the Rams like/do.

And excluding top twenty talents in general is silly. If the Rams pick at ten and a guy falls that they rate top three, but isn't a lineman or QB, does he really think they pass for need?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/12/nfl-draft-california-chris-harper-combine-snub/

cal-story.jpg

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images

T-Minus 77 Days: The Reality of a Combine Snub
California wide receiver Chris Harper declared early for the draft but was among a number of underclassmen not invited to the combine. What happens now? Plus, get to know an ex-Oregon quarterback not named Marcus Mariota and much more
By Robert Klemko

This is the Crespi Carmelite High School edition of the draft countdown, as we examine two pivotal decisions made by a couple of high school teammates that led them to the 2015 draft. The first is a junior member of an endlessly talented wide receiver class that experts think will yield at least four first-round picks. Chris Harper is not one of those four.

The Cal product made a “game-time decision” to declare for the draft after seeking advice from family, friends, and mentors including former Cal coach Jeff Tedford and former NFL receiver Keyshawn Johnson. He was fresh off a junior season during which he caught 52 balls for 634 yards and six touchdowns, and this ridiculousness and alsothis, which is just silly.

And yet, Harper wasn’t invited to the combine in Indianapolis to be among the 330-plus prospects who participate in Olympic and football-inspired non-padded drills, aptitude tests and interviews. For those who grew up in a world in which the combine is broadcast on NFL Network and high schoolers are quicker to brag on 40 times than touchdowns, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

“I watched since I was a little kid. It was a dream to go,” Harper says after a day of training at Proactive in Westlake Village, Calif. “I’ve just got to keep working hard. I think it’s extra motivation at this point.”

Harper was one of 74 underclassmen granted eligibility, down from a record 98 early entrants a year ago. Several of those guys find themselves on the street less than a year later, including Brett Smith, whom I wrote about and who is now under contract with the San Jose SaberCats of the Arena Football League. Smith was counting on the combine after three years at Wyoming and didn’t get invited.

In response to the scourge of juniors at its gates, the NFL simplified its advisory committee’s response to players’ requests for a prospective draft grade. Instead of telling a player he could go between rounds 4 and 7, the committee now writes back that the player “should remain a student-athlete, maturing as a potential pro prospect while continuing his education.”

So, naturally, the league got fewer requests. The number dropped from 214 in 2014 to 149 in 2015. Harper figured he might as well not ask.

“I knew I wasn’t a first- or second-round pick, and I didn’t want to hear them tell me to go back to school,” he says.

So here he is, training for a regional combine and then a pro day just like many snubs before him. Chargers running back Branden Oliver was one such snub a year ago, coming out of the University at Buffalo. Like Harper, in middle school he would come home and park in front of the television during combine week to watch the glorified workouts.

To this day he remembers Ronnie Brown’s 40-yard dash time at 233 pounds down to the hundreth of a second: 4.43. In the weeks leading up to his own combine, Oliver called the NFL and was put on hold. No, they said, he didn’t make the cut for an invite. Last season as a rookie he rushed for 582 yards and four touchdowns.

“I was always one of the kids watching the combine. I thought I would get an invite but that didn’t happen,” Oliver says. “I think the 40 is what guys stress about. They think if they run a good 40 I’ll be alright. And sometimes that is the case, and sometimes it isn’t.”

Harper’s agent, Jerome Stanley of Safe Sports Management, considers the whole tradition bloated and overblown. Stanley believes the NFL is at fault for inflating the importance of the combine in the minds of fans and young athletes. What’s more, he doesn’t understand why the process of choosing the invitees is shrouded in such secrecy.

“It’s one of those things that is what it is because it’s been what it’s been,” he says.

In 2011 he had an incoming rookie client who started at linebacker for USC who also grew up watching the combine. When he didn’t get an invite, he was devastated. He fell into a serious funk bordering on clinical depression. Stanley encouraged him to look forward to his pro day, but the linebacker wouldn’t hear it. Eventually, Stanley resigned because he felt the client would forever associate him with a failure to reach the combine, and he didn’t want to stagnate the young man’s career.

The rookie? Seahawks linebacker Malcolm Smith, Super Bowl XLVIII MVP.

BETTER KNOW A PROSPECT
You know Jameis and Marcus, Amari and Melvin. Every week in this space, we’ll introduce you to a lesser-known prospect of interest with whom you should become familiar…

Bryan Bennett was a senior in 2010 at Crespi Carmelite in Encino, Calif., when Chris Harper was just a sophomore. The four-star recruit fielded offers from Boise State and Pitt before signing with Oregon, only to have the younger Marcus Mariota beat him out for a job in 2012. While Mariota continued his ascent to the top of the upcoming draft, Bennett mulled his choices in December 2012. Like many of the country’s top prep QBs, he was a devout Manning Passing Academy pupil, so he went to the Godfather of American quarterbacking for counsel.

bennett.jpg

Bryan Bennett (Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

“When I was going through the process, I was talking to Archie Manning a lot for advice,” Bennett says. “He told me those coaches at Southeastern Louisiana were good and some good things about the program. After I got that from him I began talking with them.”

Southeastern Louisiana? Really? Oregon and new coach Mark Helfrich wanted the 6-3 Bennett to switch to an ‘athlete’ role that would have afforded opportunities to carry and catch. But SLU wanted him to throw, and because it was an FCS program, he wouldn’t have to sit out a year to play. Friends texted him incredulously. Even students at SLU mocked him in line at the cafeteria or on the way to class.

“Some people at the school were like, why’d you come here?” he remembers. “I know the success hadn’t been high, but talking with the coaches and players I believed in it, and we got a positive vibe there and made it work.”

Bennett helped give Hammond, La., something to brag about: Two Southland Conference Championships and its third-ever alum invited to the NFL combine. He led the team with 1,046 rushing yards and 3,165 passing yards in 2013, but his accuracy and production dipped in 2014 as he dealt with nagging injuries and the departure of a coordinator (Greg Stevens left for a coordinator post at Eastern Illinois).

Bennett’s been working on improving his footwork mechanics, among other things, at EXOS in Carlsbad, Calif. He holds no grudge against the decision-makers or his teammates at Oregon, but holds out hope that he and his buddy Mariota will meet again on a football field.

“Whenever I got the chance to watch those guys I rooted for them and wanted to see them have success,” he says. “I wish it would’ve went differently, but I had to move on. I do imagine that one day we’ll end up playing against one another one way or another. A situation like that would be fun.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Polian was just on Cowherd and talked about metrics. He said measurements and the forty have been proven over time to be the two most important measurements. He said people look at ten yard splits for Olinemen and it is not indicative of anything. The Forty is telling at every position.

Interesting because in recent years we hear how the forty is not a specific enough measurement.

thehammer

Rookie
Polian was just on Cowherd and talked about metrics. He said measurements and the forty have been proven over time to be the two most important measurements. He said people look at ten yard splits for Olinemen and it is not indicative of anything. The Forty is telling at every position.

Interesting because in recent years we hear how the forty is not a specific enough measurement.
posted sparq scores last year on stltoday...hope I can find them and post them for this year

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
posted sparq scores last year on stltoday...hope I can find them and post them for this year

I remember that and the seemed to be a very good indicator of who would be good. They probably don't mean much for QBs but they seem accurate in most cases.

One player who had a high SPARQ rating, that I really expected to see results, but didn't was Christine Michael. If you have last years list it would be interesting to see who was at the top and compare if the players were productive.

Unfortunately measuring instincts and football IQ is a bit tougher. Figure that out and combine it with SPARQ and a GM could nearly eliminate busts.