The World loses a great Rams Fan and a great human being

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
My grandfather passed away last night. He was a great sports fan and at one time a very good athlete. I'm not looking for sympathy per se, just need to talk this out.

He grew-up in St. Louis City and played baseball against hall of famers Joe Gargiola and Yogi Berra. The Cardinals even offered him a contract, but he turned it down in favor of getting married-it was still the great depression and a minor league salary was not very great, he had a good job opportunity from a utility company where his brother worked and took it so that he could get married. He was married for 61 years until his wife passed away (something I don't think he ever really recovered from). My grandfather was a generous man, a humble man and a good hearted man. My friend got married at the Catholic church he and his wife went to for over 50 years (every week), during the sermon the priest singled out my grandfather and grandmother as the ideal marriage.

He volunteered as a coach for soccer and baseball and tried to teach my father sports, but my dad was never big into athletics. I obviously was, and he taught me how to play baseball and soccer. He probably would have taught me football had he played it in high school.

My family didn't have much money growing up, but he always made sure I had food and clothes. If I needed a ride to practice, to school, or a game he was always willing and available. He took me to baseball games, hockey games, football games. He has as much impact on me being a sports fan as anyone in this world. I will truly miss him.

RIP George Michael Burgard, 1922-2012

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My sincerest condolences, Michael. I know what that's like. My Grandfather was the only male figure in my family I cared about. My wife's father passed not that long ago, and he too had some times to Yogi. Yogi was his catcher in the minors, so maybe they knew each other. Same era and everything. I'm going to do some digging later, and let you know if they played together. That would be a great story for the two of us.

Again, very sorry for your loss.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wow Michael , so sorry to hear about your loss.

My Grandfather was my Hero growing up. I lost him when I was still in college. Since then, there hasn't been a day go by that I haven't had thoughts of him cross my mind, or found myself doing something just like him. Every time this happens , it feels like he's standing right next to me. He'll always be my hero , and I know that a big part of him is still alive in me.

Your Grandfather sounds like a great man. He'll always be with you .

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Rest in Peace indeed. Sounds like your grandfather was a great man to all he came in contact with. Your memories of him will serve you well as time goes on. I'm sure he would appreciate that. My thoughts go to you and your family.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I want to give my utmost condolences to your and your family. May your grandfather find everlasting peace on his way to the heavens.

superfan24

Starter
Very sorry for your loss, man. That brought up a lot of memories of my grandfather who I looked up to and always loved discussing football with and his stories of growing up next to Knute Rockne and all the other ND football greats. Sounds like a great man, Broke.
Sorry to bring this off-topic but my family in STL goes to a Catholic Church every week (two different ones). Let me know the name when you have a chance.
RIP Mr. Burgard

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I always look @ these thing this way: They lived a long, eventful life. And it sure sounds like your granddad did. Everything from the Great Depression to 9/11, from all the natural disasters, wars, and technological advancements. Old radios to blu-ray disc players, cars too. He saw it all evolve. You have my condolences.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you guys. I'm now leaving for St. Louis. The funeral is on Friday. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Well, we got one more rooting for us in heaven.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So sorry to hear it Broke. Know that we are with you bro. Have safe travels to St. Louis.