The thought of losing our dominant Defense...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
What makes the terrible play of Nick Foles even tougher to swallow is that it's very possible our defense will not be quite as great next season, due to most likely losing 2 or 3 key starters because of $$$.

It was Right now! This year! ... that we needed to have at least an average offense. With an average offense we'd be playoff bound for sure. But we have a far far far far below average offense and so we are the usual .500 team under Fisher. (well, to be honest he's been around .400 winning percentage with our Rams)

So it's really sad we're missing this window of opportunity regarding this defense. Even IF in a year or two we get a decent QB and Receiver, by that time, most likely our defense will have fallen back to the middle of the pack in the league, no longer able to keep teams at low scores. This year was our chance and it's just not going to happen. Nick Foles cannot get us there this year. I'm certain of it.

Yes some of you are going to call me "not a fan" because "i don't believe in the team" but I'm just being realistic. I look at Jeff Fisher and his refusal to care about the passing offense, or to care about having a quality OC on staff. I look at Nick Foles deer in headlights look on his face game in and game out. I look at 4 long years completely wasted on Brian Quick. I look at years wasted on Jared Cook. I look at Greg Robinson the turnstile who we used pick #2 on, and so I'm just being realistic. We won't get to the playoffs this year.

And it's all a terrible, horrible, heart wrenching feeling knowing that this great defense is being wasted.
Call me what you want, but most of you agree with me deep down.
I love my Rams and will continue to root for them but I'm realistic with what I'm seeing. I refuse to say "were such a young team" as an excuse.

nighttrain

Legend
What makes the terrible play of Nick Foles even tougher to swallow is that it's very possible our defense will not be quite as great next season, due to most likely losing 2 or 3 key starters because of $$$.

It was Right now! This year! ... that we needed to have at least an average offense. With an average offense we'd be playoff bound for sure. But we have a far far far far below average offense and so we are the usual .500 team under Fisher. (well, to be honest he's been around .400 winning percentage with our Rams)

So it's really sad we're missing this window of opportunity regarding this defense. Even IF in a year or two we get a decent QB and Receiver, by that time, most likely our defense will have fallen back to the middle of the pack in the league, no longer able to keep teams at low scores. This year was our chance and it's just not going to happen. Nick Foles cannot get us there this year. I'm certain of it.

Yes some of you are going to call me "not a fan" because "i don't believe in the team" but I'm just being realistic. I look at Jeff Fisher and his refusal to care about the passing offense, or to care about having a quality OC on staff. I look at Nick Foles deer in headlights look on his face game in and game out. I look at 4 long years completely wasted on Brian Quick. I look at years wasted on Jared Cook. I look at Greg Robinson the turnstile who we used pick #2 on, and so I'm just being realistic. We won't get to the playoffs this year.

And it's all a terrible, horrible, heart wrenching feeling knowing that this great defense is being wasted.
I love my Rams and will continue to root for them but I'm realistic with what I'm seeing. I refuse to say "were such a young team" as an excuse.

Why it;s time to go to Keenum immediately, get him in against the Bears,no more waiting.
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I do not fear too much here on this. Kevin Demoff has some very big $$$$ Ram players who are not helping this team win now that have a ton of $$$ tied up in .....like 17 mil in TE Jared Cook, Chris Long over 14 mil, Rodger Saffold 20 mil & easy restructure JL's 15 mil too.

Demoff has many options here to ponder with from this point on. Every time Jared Cook exits a big game with only one catch for 10 yds, every game Saffold misses after undergoing back to back same yr shoulder reconstructions, Chris Long could only finish 5 games in 2014 and now has been out for a month & longer..............That's over $$$$ 50 million in those four alone that he can deal out to many of those main 2016 Ram UFA's on defense. I.E. Janoris Jenkins, Mark Barron, Trumaine Johnson, Williams Hayes, Rodney McLeod, Eugene Sims & Nick Fairley.

Last edited:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think we'll be OK in 2016 re: Defense. We can afford to lose a 2-3 players on D--maybe one of either Jenks or Tru, & maybe even lose Barron. Don't forget, EJ is waiting in the wings--you know, the rookie CB who beat out Tru last year. Joyner is coming along. A Donald is still in rookie contract, & Quinn is locked up, our two defensive MVP's. I have a feeling Hayes will do anything to stay on this team & play for Fish. Brockers was locked up / extended, no? Tree will still be in his rookie contract & was playing out of his mind before his leg broke. TJ still in rookie contract, but McCleod will need to get re-signed.... C. Long may need to restructure or Longacre / Westbrooks will take his spot. As long as G.Williams doesn't get in hot water I think we're OK in 2016.

Now, 2017.... lookout. I think we'll fall off a cliff w/o re-signing a majority of these guys.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I do not fear too much here on this. Kevin Demoff has some very big $$$$ Ram players who are not helping this team win now that have a ton of $$$ tied up in .....like 17 mil in TE Jared Cook, Chris Long over 14 mil, Rodger Saffold 20 mil & easy restructure JL's 15 mil too.
He has many options here to toy with from this point on. Every time Jared Cook exits a big game with only one catch for 10 yds ..............That's over $$$$ 50 million in those four alone that he can deal out to many of those main 2016 Ram UFA's on defense. I.E. Janoris Jenkins, Mark Barron, Trumaine Johnson, Williams Hayes, Rodney McLeod, Eugene Sims & Nick Fairley.

Forgot about Fairley, we need to re-sign 2 of 3 out of Fairley, Hayes & Sims.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He has many options here to toy with from this point on. Every time Jared Cook exits a big game with only one catch for 10 yds ..............That's over $$$$ 50 million in those four alone that he can deal out to many of those main 2016 Ram UFA's on defense. I.E. Janoris Jenkins, Mark Barron, Trumaine Johnson, Williams Hayes, Rodney McLeod, Eugene Sims & Nick Fairley.

It's true. We have a lot of money in average or below average players. The Rams can rectify a lot of that and have a ton of capital for the stars and depth.

RamzFanz

Damnit

I don't think anyone would ever say you're not a fan for being frustrated with this team. I do think you went a little too far though in a time of frustration.

I don't think Fisher doesn't care about the passing offense, I just think it's not working. He has made a ton of moves like Foles, Britt, Cook, Austin, Bailey, Gurley, drafting an o-line, trying to keep what we expected to be good o-line players, all for naught so far.

I'm also not down on Quick. He was breaking out when many WRs do and he had a horrific injury. I still have hope for him this season.

The playoffs are not out of reach, but this is definitely do or die going forward.

Athos

Legend
I'm worried that this great D unit is being wasted, will be wasted, until nothing is left and even it returns to league average or worse...all because of the shit-heap offense.

The guys we currently have scouting, instructing, etc......currently aren't worth their wait. Cigs has done an OKAY job....

But honestly, Gurley and Tavon are the ONLY offensive threats Fisher and Snead have brought to this team in 4 drafts.

It's time to shake things up on offense. We need guys who know what they're fucking looking at.

I.E. Guys who can produce right from the start or close to it. So many WRs and TEs up and down the draft in rounds 1-3 have come on to produce quite well for other teams in the NFL.

What the fuck can't we do that?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Forgot about Fairley, we need to re-sign 2 of 3 out of Fairley, Hayes & Sims.

Rookie DE Matt Longacre had a good first outing yesterday playing very well in run defense. 2nd yr DT, now moved to DE Ethan Westbrook is also holding his own too on the outside. Do not forget the 6-3 256 pound LB'er Akeem Ayers, who was used heavy in the 2014 post seasons drive to a championship by the Pats was as a RDE pass rusher & (until this past Sunday) has been utilized more & more with the Rams defense involved in pass rushing defenses too.

So if Mark Barron is signed to start & play OLB along with Alec Ogletree, all Demoff has to do is have these 5 youthful DE's on the roster i.e. Quinn/Hayes/Westbrook/Ayers/Longacre. Could you live with that? Demoff already has four Donald/Brockers/Worthington/Louis Trinca-Pasat lined up & easy signed for 2016. All they need to draft a rookie NT.

Now for the sad part......I am thinking that its highly probable DT Fairley will move on for a more $$$ offer in 2016. I think its highly probable that two over 30 yr old veteran DE's Chris Long & Eugene Sims will be UN-affordable & will not be a Rams in 2016.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think Fisher doesn't care about the passing offense, I just think it's not working.
The playoffs are not out of reach, but this is definitely do or die going forward.

I get where you're coming from. I suppose when I say "he doesn't care" I'm kinda meaning what you said, after 4 years it's not working. So I'll slightly change my wording to, "he doesn't care enough to get it right."

I'll be even angrier at Fisher if I ever find out that he's not only hiring conservative OCs, but also holding them back even more during games by telling them, you will NOT pass it here. Run it, run it, and then run it.