The thing I don't understand this year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To put in my two cents, I think the failure falls on Boudreau. I don't think it's because Boudreau is an ineffective coach. I think it's a combination of factors. Here are my thoughts:

1. From what I've heard, Boudreau runs a very complex blocking scheme. When you combine that with our needlessly complex offense (left over from the Schotty days), I think our young guys are struggling mentally to execute it. We need to simplify. Because I don't think they look like a unit right now. They look like a bunch of individuals trying to execute their assignments individually. An OL should look like a cohesive unit.

2. As I recall, Boudreau has had health issues and is getting up there in age. Honestly, it just might be time for him to retire.

3. As I mentioned earlier, the OL is a unit. I think a unit is only as strong as its weakest link. Unfortunately, our OL has a couple very weak links this year. Tim Barnes has been a major liability this year in the running game. He's not built for a zone scheme. He lacks the athleticism to make certain blocks. And when he tries, he loses the leverage battle and gets manhandled. Cody Wichmann has also been a major liability for some of the same reasons. Both are competent pass blockers but major liabilities in the running game. Robinson, Saffold, and Havenstein are more inconsistent than anything. Same with Tyler Higbee and Kendricks. I think their inconsistencies go back to point #1.

4. We have an OL of mismatched parts. That's actually just like the rest of the offense. @Mackeyser has talked about this a lot. Our offense has no identity. They took Schotty's Air Coryell base, added elements from a bunch of other offenses, and managed to take an offense from some semblance of an identity (under Schotty) to a monstrosity that doesn't resemble anything and has no consistency. Our players reflect that. We have a bunch of players who fit different schemes all grouped into this identity-less offense. Our OL is one of the worst examples of that. Saffold, Greg, and Barnes best fit a PBS. Wichmann, Donnal, and Havenstein best fit a ZBS.(although Havenstein can play in a PBS) Our HB, Todd Gurley, best fits a PBS (although he can play in a ZBS).

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
To put in my two cents, I think the failure falls on Boudreau. I don't think it's because Boudreau is an ineffective coach. I think it's a combination of factors. Here are my thoughts:

1. From what I've heard, Boudreau runs a very complex blocking scheme. When you combine that with our needlessly complex offense (left over from the Schotty days), I think our young guys are struggling mentally to execute it. We need to simplify. Because I don't think they look like a unit right now. They look like a bunch of individuals trying to execute their assignments individually. An OL should look like a cohesive unit.

2. As I recall, Boudreau has had health issues and is getting up there in age. Honestly, it just might be time for him to retire.

3. As I mentioned earlier, the OL is a unit. I think a unit is only as strong as its weakest link. Unfortunately, our OL has a couple very weak links this year. Tim Barnes has been a major liability this year in the running game. He's not built for a zone scheme. He lacks the athleticism to make certain blocks. And when he tries, he loses the leverage battle and gets manhandled. Cody Wichmann has also been a major liability for some of the same reasons. Both are competent pass blockers but major liabilities in the running game. Robinson, Saffold, and Havenstein are more inconsistent than anything. Same with Tyler Higbee and Kendricks. I think their inconsistencies go back to point #1.

4. We have an OL of mismatched parts. That's actually just like the rest of the offense. @Mackeyser has talked about this a lot. Our offense has no identity. They took Schotty's Air Coryell base, added elements from a bunch of other offenses, and managed to take an offense from some semblance of an identity (under Schotty) to a monstrosity that doesn't resemble anything and has no consistency. Our players reflect that. We have a bunch of players who fit different schemes all grouped into this identity-less offense. Our OL is one of the worst examples of that. Saffold, Greg, and Barnes best fit a PBS. Wichmann, Donnal, and Havenstein best fit a ZBS.(although Havenstein can play in a PBS) Our HB, Todd Gurley, best fits a PBS (although he can play in a ZBS).

Excellent, thanks!!
Was about to ask ya'll about PBS and ZBS under Boudreau

* so now I just need to find out what the preferred blocking scheme of each offensive minded coaching candidate is to maybe have a better guess at which players might be staying or going personnel-wise. When we drafted Greg Robinson, i thought we eere all about power blocking. I mean we all imagined him as our road grader for the next 15 years

Last edited:

RAMBUSH

Starter
No motivation...I could see it miles away, the lack of it was blatantly obvious. Everything can or could be talented eventually if properly trained and utilized. The players got too emotional and let their frustrations take the best of them that's how we lost games also. They didn't finish all the way through to the final stretch. Oh well we will see if that has changed by tonight. Go Rams!
Motivation ! I often wonder about that . I always say 4th and goal gimme the ball, they would have to kill me to keep me out . And I'm just a fan , imagine if I got paid millions.... professionals that need motivation are not that professional if you ask me...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Motivation ! I often wonder about that . I always say 4th and goal gimme the ball, they would have to kill me to keep me out . And I'm just a fan , imagine if I got paid millions.... professionals that need motivation are not that professional if you ask me...

It's just something they're really really good at it. It doesn't mean they love their job. It's a job to a lot of them. It's a ticket to a better life.

Rams77

Starter
I think it's a combination of poor Offensive scheme and poor IQ of some players. The problem is Boras really scripts the first 10 plays pretty well then it's horrible. He can not adjust to any defense. Also we have some pretty "dumb" players on this offense. Football is just as much a cerebral game as it is a physical one. This offensive line is out of position because one or two players consistently miss an assignment or use poor technique. You are only as good and as cohesive as your weakest link. This along with a rookie QB and WRs with iffy hands results in a horrid offense.

2017 To Do-
Fire OC
Fire OL coach. Fire all Offensive coaches
Hire McDaniels or Shanahan or David Shaw and their handpicked coaches.

Need to get rid of the weak links-
Greg Robinson, Brian Quick, Barnes, Kendricks-He stinks at the worst possible times.
Sign FA or trade for a # 1 RT/LT and draft a C in the 3rd or 4th RD.
Addition by subtraction just by getting rid of #73-boost in morale to the rest of the OL-I really think this OL sucks because of #73. The OL was decent before injuries in 2015.

Trade or sign a FA #1/2 WR. Have to resign Britt. Now have Britt, Cooper, Austin, Spruce and new #1/2 (Jeffrey or Pryor).

Sign Kalil ,Schroeder or Reiff at RT/LT. Higbee at TE.
LT-Reiff/Kalil/Schroeder ,LG-Saffold, C-Rookie, RG-Brown,RT-Havenstein
Sign Martellus Bennett as TE2.

PS Cut Mike Thomas if he continues to screw up in the preseason. Can't afford players that can't consistently perform fundamentals like catching kickoffs/punts and passes. I don't care if you run a 4.2 40.

On defense-Hire a D.C that wants to continue in the 4-3 scheme. Need to play more press coverage/bump and run. Less blitzing hopefully and less Prevent/bend but don't break. Need a true FS.

Restructure Quinn or release him to free up $. Draft a DE in the 2nd round and groom.
Resign Trumaine Johnson
Sign a true FS like Darian Stewart.
Draft a CB in the 3rd and groom.
Rest of D is solid.

Keep ST-solid

We need to be active in FA. Would not be opposed to trading Tavon if it meant we can add a good to great OL.

I dunno if this is doable. The Giants revamped their entire D in one offseason with a new coach and are now a SB contender.

Debacled

Starter
Gonna keep posting this everywhere I can, players play and coaches coach.

The coaches can't play for the players. They aren't on the field. Not every dude that gets run out there is going to develop into a starter let alone anything of note. Robinson has been noticeably slow to develop (this was obviously going to be a problem, being the scheme he came from). You have a 2nd year pro on the right side who is struggling with what he did in college - speed rushers. Tim Barnes in the middle is nothing special, and what they are paying him highlights that fact. Saffold has his moments, when healthy, and the other guard position is a turnstile of mid round guys who are all young let alone not top of the line talents.

And people wonder why there is a problem? Simplify the scheme all you want, all that does is water down what they can run and makes it all that much easier for the defenses to diagnose what is going on (not that it isn't already obvious). Pin it on the coach all you want, firing him and bringing in someone else will do nothing to alleviate the problem.

RAMNATION

Rookie
Boudreau is a real good teacher. I mean, real good. I've heard him speak about his craft a few times, and he oozes knowledge. Maybe he's not a good motivator or something, because I don't think this is a failure on his part. These guys *have to* know how to play the position, individually, but somehow they're not doing it together. Maybe they just need a new scheme and someone who can tap into their inner strength. I dunno. It's perplexing to say the least.
IMHO Scheme and play calling are 80% of the lines problem (mostly scheme). Talent on the line is there. There are only 2 or 3 teams in the NFL with elite OL talent across the board, most teams have 1 maybe two "good" players then plug the rest in with journeymen.