The stats say throw against the Eagles, but the running game could be key.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I feel like our run game will be about like it has been (minus the Cindy debacle). I think this game hinges on whether or not our D can clamp down on the Eagles’ runs.

oldnotdead

Legend
McClendon doesn't look to have the feet to play OT at this level. I think they drafted him as an OG, but got Dotson because it takes a year or so to transition a guy who has never played OG to the position at this level. If you are going to play McClendon at OT then RT would be his best fit. Dotson at least last week looked like a capable player. I'm not overly concerned with him. It's Jackson being able to holdup at LT is what concerns me. He has big lapses in his technique that gives him trouble against good edges. It's why I've always seen him on the right side either as an OG or RT. Havenstein is a flip the coin kind of player. You never know what you are going to get.

A limited Jackson will face an elite edge in Riddick. He had 18 sacks in 2022. They will need Nacua to give Jackson a chip assist on slow developing plays. That said the Eagle interior DL is damn good so the 3 interior OL will have their work cut out for them. They will have to put on their big boy pants. That Philly DL is as good as the Niner DL IMO. The key is the Rams must have some success in running the ball to force Philly to honor it. McVay cannot afford to abandon the run unless the game is out of hand. You give Stafford time and the Rams WRs out match the Eagle secondary.

The Rams must simply run the ball enough to be efficient to stay ahead of the chains. If they do that the Rams can take this game the spread be damned. Stafford and the WRs will win the game but the RBs and OL must be efficient enough to set the passing game up.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see our George Hamilton fans (aka The Tan-Gents) have joined the discussion.

oldnotdead

Legend
I don't consider Noteboom a bust. He's like Allen very talented, capable of playing at this level. But neither can stay healthy. IMO a bust is someone who was touted as being highly talented but proved otherwise, like some overpaid QBs. Murray's a bust because he refuses to make the effort to develop. Kyler Murray with his mega contract is the definition of a bust.

Then you have guys like Dak Prescott who is capable of playing at an elite level then suddenly he makes stupid mistakes. Josh Allen is exactly the same way. He will be playing lights out then suddenly it's like he can't hit the side of a barn or throws into triple coverage ignoring a wide open receiver. Are those guys busts?

Noteboom when he's healthy can play at an elite level, and that isn't coming from me but Whitworth and Havenstein. He simply can't stay healthy enough to stay on the field. He played well at RG to the point when Anchrum came in you could immediately see the difference. They sent an injured Noteboom back out because he was better than a healthy Anchrum. IMO Anchrum is gone because 4 years and still playing like a scrub that is a bust. His physical metrics say Anchrum's best position would be center. They tried him out there and he didn't even make it through practices. He struggled to make the calls. Why do you think they even played Kolone at center before Anchrum?

Shelton was not as good as Allen when it came to making the OL calls. But to his credit Allen mentored him. What do you call a guy who mentors a player who will take your job? You call him a true professional. That is one of the reasons Shelton looks so good this year as a starter. At UW Shelton was constantly being shifted around to fit their needs. He played OG and even LT besides center. You can see how it helped him when you watch him block on the second level. He's good at it and will get even better as he continues to develop. That second level blocking is why the Rams named him the starter. Shelton is a feel good story about perseverance and belief in yourself. He was an UDFA signing with the Niners. Cut after TC and signed to the Cardinal PS for 2 years. Cut after his second TC and is now the starter in LA and into the future. People could have called him a bust for 3 years but obviously they were wrong. The right team, the right coaches, the right offensive scheme and help from someone you are in competition with have made him a very good starting center.

No IMO a bust is a player who is highly touted and simply proves otherwise. The only thing Noteboom and Allen proved is that they need to spend an offseason with new trainers who will help them play better while protecting themselves. Poor conditioning and lapses in technique are the causes of most injuries on the OL. They need to take a page from Kupp's experience. After his first injury, he sought out professional help at EForce in Portland, OR. I'm not saying they should go there but there are a couple in San Diego and Phoenix that might help. I know the one in San Diego is really good for QBs. They changed Drew Brees from a struggling young QB into the HOF player he will be.

IMO Kroenke should contract one of these places to physically train and coach up the Ram's promising young players in the off season. It would be a way to protect and develop his investment. Properly conditioned players using proper techniques stay healthier overall and develop into better players as they train and hone their base skills during the off season. One year would be enough to give them a road map to continue on their own into the future as Kupp has. IMO one off season with EForce changed the trajectory of Kupp's career from being a good WR to being an elite WR.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I just hope McVay learned something in Cincy and not freak out when they stack the box. Bring the two or 3 TE sets from time to time and throw out of it. Might see Sko in the backfield a little bit this game.