The stats say throw against the Eagles, but the running game could be key.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The Rams’ strength on offense this season has been the passing game, which is averaging 288.8 yards per game, 2nd in the NFL. By contrast, the running game ranks 17th with 104.0 yards per game (and only 3.7 yards per attempt).

The Eagles’ defense is also a bit imbalanced. They are 2nd in the NFL against the run, allowing only 63.0 yards per game (and 3.3 yards per attempt), but 27th against the pass, allowing 260.8 yards per game.
So the Rams should be pass happy this Sunday, right?

Not entirely.

While I think the Rams will likely find their best success throwing the ball, I think they need to mix in the run as well. In addition to the obvious reasons (keeping the defense guessing, eating clock, keeping the Eagles’ offense off the field), there is another reason I think this could be key.

It comes from the Eagles’ injury report. Right now, it looks like they will be missing two of the DTs in their rotation, Fletcher Cox and Marlon Tuipulotu. This is particularly significant when you look at the snap percentages of their DTs:

Fletcher Cox 70.0%
Jalen Carter 47.5%
Milton Williams 41.44%
Jordan Davis 38.8%
Marlon Tuipulotu 12.2%
Kentavius Street 8.8%

Cox’s absence, in particular, and Tuipulotu’s to a lesser extent, will likely mean that Carter, Davis and Williams, who are used to getting a lot of breathers and playing spurts, will have to carry a bigger workload (and it won’t help them that the gametime temperature is forecast to be 88 degrees).

The Rams need to mix in a healthy does of running plays and try to wear down the Eagles DTs. This could give us a real advantage late in the game if its close and they’re a bit gassed. So, while I do expect we’ll pass more than run, a somewhat balanced approach could be a key to winning this game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would make against most defensive lines in the NFL, but I've heard the Iggles are deep as far as backups go. The Rams need to run the ball, for sure, but I will surprised if they crack 80 yards rushing, total, imo.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm interested to see how Avila handles Carter. So far, Carter has been pretty incredible as a rookie, but so has Avila. A big test for the big guy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
You can't abandon the run. You have to at least give the defense something to think about. But I don't think trying to be balanced between the run and pass is the best game plan.

A defense who is tough against the run but vulnerable against the pass. An offense whose passing game is clicking well. High quality receivers and a quarterback who can pick apart any defense if he has time.

If they have 60 plays I gotta think 35 or more passes is the best option. Shorter, high percentage passes on first down can soften the run defense enough. If you consistently pick up 4 or 5 yards on first down you're likely to be in more manageable 3rd downs.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can't abandon the run. You have to at least give the defense something to think about. But I don't think trying to be balanced between the run and pass is the best game plan.

A defense who is tough against the run but vulnerable against the pass. An offense whose passing game is clicking well. High quality receivers and a quarterback who can pick apart any defense if he has time.

If they have 60 plays I gotta think 35 or more passes is the best option. Shorter, high percentage passes on first down can soften the run defense enough. If you consistently pick up 4 or 5 yards on first down you're likely to be in more manageable 3rd downs.
I agree with all that (pretty much what I meant by “somewhat balanced”). The short passing game, which can lead to long, time consuming drives, is also a good way to wear down the opposing defense.

TexasRam

Legend
If by run you mean jet sweeps, bubble screens, end arounds, QB keepers on fourth and 1 and handoffs to Kyren around the goaline….

Then yes. We should run it sometimes.

~ Sean

jap

Legend
 We need a healthy LT to win this game. Both Jackson and Boom are not looking like they are good to go for this weekend thus far. Cannot carve up the Gang Green secondary if Matthew is in his back.

A running game will help keep the Eagles off Matthew's case, but we need to target a legitimate starting LT for 2024 while we wallow through 2023.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
 We need a healthy LT to win this game. Both Jackson and Boom are not looking like they are good to go for this weekend thus far. Cannot carve up the Gang Green secondary if Matthew is in his back.

A running game will help keep the Eagles off Matthew's case, but we need to target a legitimate starting LT for 2024 while we wallow through 2023.
Good news on that front:

View: https://x.com/latimesklein/status/1710363907611910631?s=46

Looks like it will be Jackson, Avila, Shelton, Dotson, Havenstein.

jap

Legend
Good news on that front:

View: https://x.com/latimesklein/status/1710363907611910631?s=46

Looks like it will be Jackson, Avila, Shelton, Dotson, Havenstein.

 Still not close to ideal. With cap issues this season I suppose it was too much to ask for the Horns to solidify the tackles. Matthew is the type of QB who can guide a team through the playoffs and win a Super Bowl with a less-than-ideal offensive unit. However, he still requires a fairly solid OL and some weapons before he can don his Comeback Maestro costume.

Boom is solid enough when healthy, but he spends too much time on the sidelines. We need solid ballers health-wise for the Matthew to Cooper/Puka/Tutu circus to put on a performance.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
 Still not close to ideal. With cap issues this season I suppose it was too much to ask for the Horns to solidify the tackles. Matthew is the type of QB who can guide a team through the playoffs and win a Super Bowl with a less-than-ideal offensive unit. However, he still requires a fairly solid OL and some weapons before he can don his Comeback Maestro costume.

Boom is solid enough when healthy, but he spends too much time on the sidelines. We need solid ballers health-wise for the Matthew to Cooper/Puka/Tutu circus to put on a performance.
I’m not really addressing the issue of a long term LT. The jury is still out on Jackson. We certainly might prioritize the position this coming offseason.

Having Jackson available for this Sunday, however, is significant.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Well the stats for the Eagles could be because they led in most games and the other team had to abandon the run.
But unsure and games scoreboard don't really show a huge lead. And I haven't watched the games.

But ... Stats seems to support this

Passing Attempts Eagles 130 Opp 164
Rushing Attempts Eagles 140 Opp 76
Rushing 1st Downs Eagles 43 Opp 15

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I’m not really addressing the issue of a long term LT. The jury is still out on Jackson. We certainly might prioritize the position this coming offseason.

Having Jackson available for this Sunday, however, is significant.
I feel like they do need to prioritize the left tackle position. We know we can't count on Noteboom. Jackson is starting to look like another injury prone guy. Unless McClendon shows promise this year, left tackle should be a position to address. Even if its a mid level veteran. I'd like to see them draft one earlier than later.