The Sophomore Class Can Make or Break the Rams in 2021

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Its quite remarkable to think that the Rams could begin the 2021 season with second year players starting at 4 positions: RB Cam Akers, OLB Terrell Lewis, SS Terrell Burgess and FS Jordan Fuller, as well as 2 key rotation spots: WR3 Van Jefferson and TE2 Brycen Hopkins.

With the exception of Hopkins, who didn't see any significant action, last years rookies all showed promise. On the down side, Akers, Lewis, Burgess and Fuller all missed time with injuries. While some injuries cannot be prevented (and, in Lewis' case, arose from lingering problems from prior injuries), I wonder if the Sophomore class will fare better after a full offseason under the supervision of the Rams' trainers. Last year's offseason was extremely truncated as a result of the pandemic, and perhaps that contributed to the bumps and bruises sustained during the season.

Certainly, the front office expects a lot from the Sophomore class, as they allowed Malcolm Brown, Josh Reynolds, Gerald Everett, Samson Ebukam and John Johnson - all of whom will likely be replaced by 2nd year players - to depart. Its a plan with some risk, but I feel pretty good about the prospects of achieving equal or better production with these rookie contract players.

Who knows... by this time next year, we may be looking at the 2020 draft class as one of the best the Rams have had in recent history.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm sure the answer will be somewhere in the middle, rarely is there a draft where there's consistent hits across the board. 2017 surely was that way. Everett, Kupp, John Johnson, Reynold, Ebukam and a few that didn't make it.

I think we can reasonably feel good about Akers and Fuller right now though the jury is still out on those two in regards to frequency of injuries. Jefferson looks like he will be a contributor, for sure. Lewis, sadly, is trending down due the the apparent "chronicity" of his knee. Burgess seems like he'll at least be average and so we really need to figure out what we have with Hopkins but I'm cautiously optimistic with him as TE notoriously take some time to develop, we were two-deep ahead of him and he lost valuable reps in TC due to covid protocols.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Only likely drop off I see is in replacing JJ.

Love to get a TE that's nearly as big as an OT (so he can handle DE's and stone LB's) while being able to make a catch once in awhile and provide a load for any DB's to tackle.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah... It looks like a strong class and potentially great. Thank goodness. It’s saving our ass.

Early Returns;

HITS:
RB Cam Akers
FS Jordan Fuller

LIKELY:
WR3 Van Jefferson

COULD GO EITHER WAY:
OLB Terrell Lewis
SS Terrell Burgess
OG Tremayne Anchrum

PROBABLY NOT:
TE2 Brycen Hopkins

I guess Hopkins could surprise, but he didnt so much as sniff snaps on offense. Thats Onobun level of concern... but... we are all guessing here.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah... It looks like a strong class and potentially great. Thank goodness. It’s saving our ass.

Early Returns;

HITS:
RB Cam Akers
FS Jordan Fuller

LIKELY:
WR3 Van Jefferson

COULD GO EITHER WAY:
OLB Terrell Lewis
SS Terrell Burgess

PROBABLY NOT:
TE2 Brycen Hopkins

I guess Hopkins could surprise, but he didnt so much as sniff snaps on offense. Thats Onobun level of concern... but... we are all guessing here.

I consider Anchrum at least a could go either way. He played a couple of snaps at left tackle when both Whitworth and Noteboom went down. Honestly, I think he could be what Barrett Jones should've been.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I consider Anchrum at least a could go either way. He played a couple of snaps at left tackle when both Whitworth and Noteboom went down. Honestly, I think he could be what Barrett Jones should've been.

Good catch. I edited and added.

It’s a solid class. Even the question marks haven‘t busted.

cough * Sloman * cough

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would move Burgess up to LIKELY and Hopkins up to COULD GO EITHER WAY.

jjab360

Legend

Early Returns;

HITS:
RB Cam Akers
FS Jordan Fuller

LIKELY:
WR3 Van Jefferson

COULD GO EITHER WAY:
OLB Terrell Lewis
SS Terrell Burgess
OG Tremayne Anchrum

PROBABLY NOT:
TE2 Brycen Hopkins

Onobun had a relatively free path to snaps at TE iirc but Hopkins had a clear duo in front of him in Higbee and Everett as well as an established backup in Johnny Mundt

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think it's Hollins job to lose opposite Floyd. His snap counts were increasing at the end of the year, and they like his size. Obo and Lewis will compete for the rotational pass rushing role.

Burgess vs Rapp will be interesting. The drop-off from JJ may not be as big as people speculate. Fuller was better than JJ back in coverage, and these guys aren't afraid to hit. I'm still scared from when Rapp was beat deep against the 9ers, so I'm leaning towards Burgess as the other deep safety and for Rapp to be the 3rd box safety. As long as someone stays deep and doesn't bite, we should be fine.

Hopkins not playing last year doesn't worry me. Too many players and not enough balls to go around...Jefferson barely got targets and snaps so Hopkins definitely weren't going to steal any from Everett and Higbee. The room is less crowded with Everett gone so maybe he'll get some of his targets. But I expect Jefferson and Desean to get their share so I don't expect much unless there are some planned 12 personnel packages.

Cam is intriguing. I don't think he's large enough to be running as hard as he does up the middle. I think we need a complementary power back. Maybe we draft someone or sign a 1 yr vet after the draft.