The Sensabaugh Signing….Why?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As all of us sit on the cusp of the first game of the season the one quandary that could gnaw at me all season is the Coty Sensabaugh signing and on every play that he comes up a day late and a dollar short am I going to just shake my head in great disdain?

As we look back when Janoris Jenkins passed on an offer and changed agents (which behooved him greatly) it was obvious the Rams had made a decision that they would keep Trumaine Johnson over Jenkins based on size and the ability to sign Johnson long term although now I am concerned about the viability of that plan as well, so after Jenkins signed his mega deal with the NY Giants the Rams had a need at Corner Back.

I thought they would take their time bring in several free agents and then sign the best one, however, in Jamie Duncan like fashion the Rams quickly came to terms with another former Titan (shocking) a corner back that did not exactly set the world on fire while he was there in Coty Sensabaugh.

Now Sensabaugh’s measurables seemed fine, 5’11 and a fast 40 time, however, when the Rams signed him many Tennessee Titan fans breathed a sigh of relieve and basically game him Craig Dahl like treatment and bided him a fond adieu. All of us remember the social media fan reaction, can’t cover one on one, the best evaluation I read from a fan was that Sensabaugh was miscast last season and was more of a slot corner.

I’m not a big fan of the word “slot.” IMO, if you can cover as a CB, you ought to be able to cover anywhere on the field, now granted Joyner is shorter as example, so the slot might be better for him, but Sensabaugh at 5’11 should be able to cover anywhere and not just the slot. So my feeling was to trust Gregg Williams who coached him in Tennessee and apparently got the most out of him combined with the return of E.J. Gaines I was not overly concerned because I had not seen Sensabaugh play.

Well, now I am concerned. Gaines coming off of Lisfranc injury has not been healthy at all and the season starts tonight. Rams gave Gaines some added time during OTA’s and Training Camp to get healthy and he had a hamstring injury and is now nursing a quad, so who knows if he’ll be healthy at all or to the point they can depend on him week in and week out.

Now, the Rams have Troy Hill, who showed me more in preseason then Sensabaugh albeit against less competition, but he seemed to be in better position than Sensabaugh, however, to this point does not seems like Hill will start, the Rams added another CB to the mix in Steve Williams, but again his best position? The damn slot!

In the end you want to trust the coaching staff and I do trust Gregg Williams and Jeff Fisher when it comes to defense, but like Lovie Smith did with Jamie Duncan years ago I fear the Rams got caught up in a player that would understand the system more than the ability to actually make the plays.

Now I hope I am wrong, I hope Sensabaugh plays tonight and we hardly notice then Gaines comes back week two and all is forgotten, but I can’t help but have trepidations and wonder if the Rams panicked after the Jenkins departure and signed the first guy that said yes to their offer?

lockdnram21

Legend
The Rams didn't choose Tru over Jenkins. Jenkins said after they low balled him He ended contact with them and new he wasn't coming back

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to believe they couldn't have gotten him for less money and from what I remember he wasn't great in preseason. Truly puzzling

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As all of us sit on the cusp of the first game of the season the one quandary that could gnaw at me all season is the Coty Sensabaugh signing and on every play that he comes up a day late and a dollar short am I going to just shake my head in great disdain?

As we look back when Janoris Jenkins passed on an offer and changed agents (which behooved him greatly) it was obvious the Rams had made a decision that they would keep Trumaine Johnson over Jenkins based on size and the ability to sign Johnson long term although now I am concerned about the viability of that plan as well, so after Jenkins signed his mega deal with the NY Giants the Rams had a need at Corner Back.

I thought they would take their time bring in several free agents and then sign the best one, however, in Jamie Duncan like fashion the Rams quickly came to terms with another former Titan (shocking) a corner back that did not exactly set the world on fire while he was there in Coty Sensabaugh.

Now Sensabaugh’s measurables seemed fine, 5’11 and a fast 40 time, however, when the Rams signed him many Tennessee Titan fans breathed a sigh of relieve and basically game him Craig Dahl like treatment and bided him a fond adieu. All of us remember the social media fan reaction, can’t cover one on one, the best evaluation I read from a fan was that Sensabaugh was miscast last season and was more of a slot corner.

I’m not a big fan of the word “slot.” IMO, if you can cover as a CB, you ought to be able to cover anywhere on the field, now granted Joyner is shorter as example, so the slot might be better for him, but Sensabaugh at 5’11 should be able to cover anywhere and not just the slot. So my feeling was to trust Gregg Williams who coached him in Tennessee and apparently got the most out of him combined with the return of E.J. Gaines I was not overly concerned because I had not seen Sensabaugh play.

Well, now I am concerned. Gaines coming off of Lisfranc injury has not been healthy at all and the season starts tonight. Rams gave Gaines some added time during OTA’s and Training Camp to get healthy and he had a hamstring injury and is now nursing a quad, so who knows if he’ll be healthy at all or to the point they can depend on him week in and week out.

Now, the Rams have Troy Hill, who showed me more in preseason then Sensabaugh albeit against less competition, but he seemed to be in better position than Sensabaugh, however, to this point does not seems like Hill will start, the Rams added another CB to the mix in Steve Williams, but again his best position? The damn slot!

In the end you want to trust the coaching staff and I do trust Gregg Williams and Jeff Fisher when it comes to defense, but like Lovie Smith did with Jamie Duncan years ago I fear the Rams got caught up in a player that would understand the system more than the ability to actually make the plays.

Now I hope I am wrong, I hope Sensabaugh plays tonight and we hardly notice then Gaines comes back week two and all is forgotten, but I can’t help but have trepidations and wonder if the Rams panicked after the Jenkins departure and signed the first guy that said yes to their offer?

Coty Sensabaugh signed a 3 year, $15,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $6,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,000,000. In 2016, Sensabaugh will earn a base salary of $1,000,000, a roster bonus of $3,500,000 and a incentive bonus of $350,000. Sensabaugh has a cap hit of $4,850,000 while his dead money value is $5,500,000.

:huh:.....:palm:

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Its fair to question this move as well as others by the FO this off season. The only one that will matter is the QB decision. If Wentz turns out much better than Goff (as was McNabb over Couch), franchises dont recover from them. Furthermore, if Lynch or Prescott turn out to be as good as any other QB from this draft, and we gave up the farm for Goff, every personnel decision go forward with this regime would need to be questioned.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I think we are all trying to make senseabaugh of his signing. The obvious logic was the Rams needed an experienced corner to offset the huge losses of Jenkins and McLeod from their secondary.

We will know much more if he's going to be a worthy signing after the first few games.

until we see some regular snaps there appears to be some big holes in the secondary....
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm still have the scent of Coty Musk on me....it's a hard stench to get off you
SO i am going to double down -- let's hope today he plays lights out

Coty_MUSK_M_001.JPG

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I just think they felt they were potentially a corner light - and possibly were considering Joyner playing FS instead of the slot position so they needed another corner - and possibly that guy to be a slot corner too. Whenever they're in need of a FA Fisher seems to look to Tennessee and Sensabaugh was the one available...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if i'm SF i go after Coty ..from what i've seen of him in PS (which is admittedly not a lot) and what i've read mostly from here he hasn't even been close to worth that contract

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams didn't choose Tru over Jenkins. Jenkins said after they low balled him He ended contact with them and new he wasn't coming back
Was it that the Rams Low-Balled Jenkins, or that the NYG would Over-Pay Him!?!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some possible reasons for this signing of Coty & what should have been a very solid Nickle & Dime DB & not so good starting outside corner.....Grasping a bit here on four possible reasons.....:cautious::unsure:

#1- Important DB Rodney McLeod was the second Nickle Back DB for 3 seasons & his departure seriously effected two of the five starting secondary posts.

#2- Two full years of total knowledge on the skills & abilities of starting Nickle-Back 2nd round draft selection Lamarcus Joyner & his serious deficiencies (shortness) in playing the 2 outside corner posts plus the complete discovery & final acknowledgement that Joyner is much more FS or deep safety NFL material outside corner.

#3- Concerns that projected starter @ outside corner post unhealthy EJ Gaines was going to need much more time to get physically ready to start in 2016 season.

#4- 2015's top reserve outside corner Marcus Roberson had not improved in 2015 under Gregg Williams coaching. Roberson was absent the aggressiveness needed & demanded by GW.

Lastly you could throw in the probable departure of top corner Trumaine Johnson to follow the Janoris Jenkins route in 2017 UFA'cy.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
#3- Concerns that projected starter @ outside corner post unhealthy EJ Gaines was going to need much more time to get physically ready to start in 2016 season.

#4- 2015's top reserve outside corner Marcus Roberson had not improved in 2015 under Gregg Williams coaching. Roberson was absent the aggressiveness needed & demanded by GW.

Lastly you could throw in the probable departure of top corner Trumaine Johnson to follow the Janoris Jenkins route in 2017 UFA'cy.
Definitely agree with #3.....EJ's health after recovering from Lis franc injury.....it's affecting other parts of his lower body...which should have been anticipated...

Still, like @den-the-coach proposes, why did we choose to sign Coty?!?

I think Coty has been giving a trial by fire....on the outside...and has been close, but hasn't made a pbu or int while being targeted early and often this preseason. Titan fans have stated Coty is a liability...I haven't ruled him completely useless, but instead have focused on Joyner...
Slot corner...nickle-back...it's a tough cover...It's basically as close to 7 on 7 or 1 on 1 drills as you'll find in a regular game...the receiver typically has a two way go....and the db must stay close to him...I'd like a physical style press corner in this position...which they "claim" Joyner excels in...Sensabaugh has been close enough on most plays to make a tackle...I think he can improve his technique and get better...in the slot...but he's lining up outside tonight...no Roberson to kick around as a backup...with Joyner still leaving that spoiled child taste in my mouth...
If Joyner and Coty don't play better tonight, I'd like to see a quick hook, with Williams go inside, and Hill go outside...I can't really see Gabbert threatening this defense on national tv...but going forward, worry about certain pass heavy teams..
I actually think Coty has a great game tonight...good stuff usually happens to good people...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You can believe that, but they liked Johnson better because of his size and was less vulnerable to letting up the big, however, last season Jenkins was much better at preventing the big play...Believe me if the Rams offered more than the Giants, he would've stayed.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's see what he does when it counts . He had some pretty good coverage in pre season only to get beat by a perfect throw .

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why? Temporary insanity? Panic?

They weren't sure about EJ, being ready and wanted someone familiar with Williams concepts.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm more upset that EJ can't seem to stay healthy. I don't mind having Coty as a backup.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Williams probably told Fish "this guy has the talent, he works hard, and we might be able to get it out of him." Fish probably figured ensuring they have the raw talent was better than going with Roberson. As to overpaying, though, it was desperation plain and simple.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
You will not be alone Den.