The secret to good homemade Popcorn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
like at the movies , but at home

microwave popcorn doesn't come close

so the secret is ........................

well first , one of those stirring popcorn poppers , we use the West Bend Stir Crazy , but I'm sure most any stirring popcorn popper will work , there pretty much all the same , you probably could even just do it the old fashion way and make it over the stove

the secret is , the secret ingredients

butter flavored Coconut oil , and..........................Flavacol , it's like a yellow salt , it's what the movie theatres use

we always have to order them off of Amazon , because to stores around here don't sell them

The butter coconut oil comes as a solid , so put about two table spoon glops in the pooper and let it warm up and melt , then sprinkle about a tea spoon of Flavacol in the popper about the same time as the kernels

and enjoy , a little Flavacol goes a long ways , it's only takes a liitle , but you'll have to experiment to your liking

flavacol.jpg

stircrazy.jpg

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is the secret.

Don’t get cute with it, though.
It’s very salty.

I have a silicone rubber bowl made just for popcorn. It collapses for storage and is easy to clean.
works amazing and the popcorn is movie quality.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I love the taste of popcorn...

But I HATE eating it because the kernel skins or whatever the fuck they are get stuck in my teeth and gums. It takes me forever to get all of that shit out after I eat even a small amount of popcorn. I can't stand it... so I stopped eating it years ago.

I love it though, and hearing how to make it taste perfect makes me slightly consider actually eating some again. Wish there was a solution to that problem.

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

But I HATE eating it because the kernel skins or whatever the fuck they are get stuck in my teeth and gums. It takes me forever to get all of that shit out after I eat even a small amount of popcorn. I can't stand it... so I stopped eating it years ago.

I love it though, and hearing how to make taste perfect makes me slightly consider actually eating some again. Wish there was a solution to that problem.
IMG_4117.jpeg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Nah, I'mma just go to the movies, buy myself a large bucket of popcorn, eat it all during the movie and get a free refill. That's what I always do at AMC.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nah, I'mma just go to the movies, buy myself a large bucket of popcorn, eat it all during the movie and get a free refill. That's what I always do at AMC.
My problem is finishing all of it during the movie previews.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have one of those poppers but I do not like that butter flavored coconut oil at all. I use my popper once or twice a week I'm an absolute crack head for popcorn :)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have one of those poppers but I do not like that butter flavored coconut oil at all. I use my popper once or twice a week I'm an absolute crack head for popcorn :)
Have you tried Flavocal on it?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you tried Flavocal on it?
I don't remember the brand honestly but it was the same brand as some organic popcorn that was sent to me that was really very good.

Thinking more on it I want to say the brand name had something to do with Amish popcorn.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't remember the brand honestly but it was the same brand as some organic popcorn that was sent to me that was really very good.

Thinking more on it I want to say the brand name had something to do with Amish popcorn.
Flavocol is a special popcorn salt. It has that distinct flavor, you get with theatre popcorn.

@IowaRam posted a pic of it up top.

Psycho_X

Legend
Going to bump this thread for my appreciation as it encouraged me to buy a popper and the ingredients suggested in OP and it is amazing. It's super easy to make but the popper is a huge pain in the ass to clean still lol. But the popcorn is top notch.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I love it though, and hearing how to make it taste perfect makes me slightly consider actually eating some again. Wish there was a solution to that problem.
You truly are a brother from another mother. :laugh1:

Funny thing is that I'll still eat a whole box of Screaming Yellow Zonkers in one sitting. I pay for it, but it's worth it. Buttered or theater popcorn? Not so much. Get that shit out of my gums.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I almost bought that one but was skeptical of it working in the microwave that well. We ended up buying the following and it works really well but the surface you put the oil on doesn't pop off so have to clean it by hand which is a bit of a pain.

View: https://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Quick-Heat-Technology-Measuring-Stainless/dp/B0C547MXPX/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1I7ISN4VTBOMH&keywords=nostalgia+popcorn+maker&qid=1698418894&s=home-garden&sprefix=popcorn+maker+n%2Cgarden%2C95&sr=1-11

Yeah.
The silicone bowl is extremely easy to clean.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is the secret.

Don’t get cute with it, though.
It’s very salty.

I have a silicone rubber bowl made just for popcorn. It collapses for storage and is easy to clean.
works amazing and the popcorn is movie quality.
Exactly how my wife does it. She's a popcorn nut! I bought her a 50 pound bag one time but don't do that! Bugs will be in it before you can pop it all.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You truly are a brother from another mother. :laugh1:

Funny thing is that I'll still eat a whole box of Screaming Yellow Zonkers in one sitting. I pay for it, but it's worth it. Buttered or theater popcorn? Not so much. Get that shit out of my gums.
The Goobers is what I destroy.