The Really Discouraging Part

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
....is checking in with the Colts game....a rookie starting at C and LG and the number one rated overall offense. The Cardinals with a suspect line and multiple, big losses on their D is playing very well and is 6-1. The Browns with less talent (in my opinion) playing hard and competitively nearly every week and is winning some games.
Why is it other teams/coaches have been able to make turn arounds and the Rams are stuck in the mud? Maybe the Rams are old at a couple of very bad spots to get old (LT and C) and too young every where else. Maybe there is something just embedded with this team, something intrinsically wrong with them. I am not a person who believes in curses or voodoo. I believe you put good, competent people in position and let them do their thing. If the team was competitive and losing that would be acceptable (although not great). This was first in what is probably a series of embarrassing losses. The coaches dont seem to be able to lean on a strength of the team because it appears to be a team without a strength. The one strength that was a "sure thing" has been removed from the D.
It is probably a mix of things. Injuries (bad depth), inability to bounce back from set backs (mindset, coaching) and just idiocy (have GZ pound the ball out of the back of the endzone instead of adhering to some philosophy regarding kick coverage).
200 yards on offense. A kick return given up for a touchdown. A missed field goal. Alex Smith 24 for 28.
This is bad football.
Many, including myself, saw the hiring of Fisher as the possible thing that could lead this team back to the light of meaningful football. With the way things are going that is getting harder to believe. The really sad thing is there are not many other options. What established coach would be interested in coming to the Rams? Especially if there is a hole at QB (perceived or real). The best bet is to stay the course I guess....it just seems there is no clear idea where that course is going.

Part of that is that the Rams were one of (or the) the worst teams in NFL history - including expansion teams.
So, IMHO not an apples to apples comparison between the Rams and other building teams.

Having said that, I still think the Rams should be further along than they are.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Part of that is that the Rams were one of (or the) the worst teams in NFL history - including expansion teams.
So, IMHO not an apples to apples comparison between the Rams and other building teams.

Having said that, I still think the Rams should be further along than they are.
Fair enough. Arizona certainly had a more complete roster than the Rams. Same for the Colts. The Browns, not so much and they were in organization chaos.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
a few thoughts after reading through this thread.

First of all, comparing the Rams situation with that of the Colts for example is apples and oranges. The division and subsequent schedule that Colts play alone make any comparisons between the two teams invalid. The teams the Colts play, had a combined W-L record 124-132 (compared to the Rams schedule of 146-110). Putting the Rams in the AFC South, and they are a playoff team LAST YEAR and most likely THIS year, even with the injuries.

Second of all, I think in many ways, the minute Bradford went down in the Preseason, this season was a lost cause. People are commenting (JT reporting about yesterday) how the team seemed to quit after the second half KO Return. Well, IMO, most of the people in that locker room, and coaches offices knew what lay ahead of them going into this season with EITHER Hill or Davis at QB. Davis is what he is. I have spent enough time sharing my opinion on that situation not to rehash it here.

The injuries to key members of this team cannot be overlooked, and simple dismissed as "every team has them", because not every team is so inexperienced in the depth players as this team is. To think they were forced to START 3 rookies in the secondary yesterday is brutal. And for the oline, its one thing to get hit with an injury or two, and have guys dinged up. But when they lose 3 starters in 2 quarters of the same game, when they are already thin (Barnes out, Jones not ready), not many teams can flourish under those conditions.

I still don't get the commentary towards Schottenheimer, as it pertains to his play calling. I was in KC yesterday, haven't had a chance to watch the TV broadcast yet, but many seem to be under the impression he "called" all these deep balls that Davis kept attempting. It's not like they have 4 guys just taking off and all running deep. Davis continues to force the ball downfield, and doesn't seem to see plays develop "on time" underneath. Even on the TD pass to Kendricks, he had Harkey right away in the flat, but instead, ends up getting flushed (bails on the pocket) and ends up "making a play" with his feet, which alot of people seem to like. But if he finds Harkey in the first place, he gets the ball out, Harkey walks into the EndZone, and the result is the same.

There were plenty of instances yesterday, when if he finds his first or second read, and gets the ball out "on time" the sack totals, and the perception of the O-Line are totally different. This is what he did so well in the Seattle game, not so much in many of the others. How does Jared Cook not have a single target when the game is still close? And did Austin have a single pass thrown to him? These are NOT on Schottenheimer. Its on the QB not getting the ball to them.

I get the frustration, and seeing other teams have success while this franchise can't seem to get out of its own way. But for me, anyway, they are so much better off than they were 4 years ago, and just need to catch a break (go a season relatively healthy), and get the younger "vets" to start playing up to their ability.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We need to add an "Agree" button for the posts that are painful to read but I agree with all of it...
I have been thinking the same thing for a while now, I just didn't think to put it out their!!(y) (y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
a few thoughts after reading through this thread.

First of all, comparing the Rams situation with that of the Colts for example is apples and oranges. The division and subsequent schedule that Colts play alone make any comparisons between the two teams invalid. The teams the Colts play, had a combined W-L record 124-132 (compared to the Rams schedule of 146-110). Putting the Rams in the AFC South, and they are a playoff team LAST YEAR and most likely THIS year, even with the injuries.

Second of all, I think in many ways, the minute Bradford went down in the Preseason, this season was a lost cause. People are commenting (JT reporting about yesterday) how the team seemed to quit after the second half KO Return. Well, IMO, most of the people in that locker room, and coaches offices knew what lay ahead of them going into this season with EITHER Hill or Davis at QB. Davis is what he is. I have spent enough time sharing my opinion on that situation not to rehash it here.

The injuries to key members of this team cannot be overlooked, and simple dismissed as "every team has them", because not every team is so inexperienced in the depth players as this team is. To think they were forced to START 3 rookies in the secondary yesterday is brutal. And for the oline, its one thing to get hit with an injury or two, and have guys dinged up. But when they lose 3 starters in 2 quarters of the same game, when they are already thin (Barnes out, Jones not ready), not many teams can flourish under those conditions.

I still don't get the commentary towards Schottenheimer, as it pertains to his play calling. I was in KC yesterday, haven't had a chance to watch the TV broadcast yet, but many seem to be under the impression he "called" all these deep balls that Davis kept attempting. It's not like they have 4 guys just taking off and all running deep. Davis continues to force the ball downfield, and doesn't seem to see plays develop "on time" underneath. Even on the TD pass to Kendricks, he had Harkey right away in the flat, but instead, ends up getting flushed (bails on the pocket) and ends up "making a play" with his feet, which alot of people seem to like. But if he finds Harkey in the first place, he gets the ball out, Harkey walks into the EndZone, and the result is the same.

There were plenty of instances yesterday, when if he finds his first or second read, and gets the ball out "on time" the sack totals, and the perception of the O-Line are totally different. This is what he did so well in the Seattle game, not so much in many of the others. How does Jared Cook not have a single target when the game is still close? And did Austin have a single pass thrown to him? These are NOT on Schottenheimer. Its on the QB not getting the ball to them.

I get the frustration, and seeing other teams have success while this franchise can't seem to get out of its own way. But for me, anyway, they are so much better off than they were 4 years ago, and just need to catch a break (go a season relatively healthy), and get the younger "vets" to start playing up to their ability.
Agreed! And VERY WELL PUT I may add!!!!(y) (y)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

What I find ironic is that in Bradford's career so many people were bashing him for not pushing the ball down the field, checking down too much, and now we have a guy who is doing just what they wanted from Sam.

I think that's correctable for Davis, but for those that were bashing Sam for not pushing the ball downfield (often times because nobody was open in the first place), this is what all of his checkdowns prevented.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I have to admit, I am envious of the other good teams in the league who have been able to sustain success for long periods and the teams who have been able to turn things around quickly. The Colts had how many consecutive 10+ win seasons with Manning? They had to endure one, only ONE bad season and they get Luck and are back to 10+ wins each season (I know their bad division helps but still). Then the Cardinals. I thought they would have a tough season with their injuries but they have put it all together still and keep winning. I think that the Rams lack the players who have pride in their job and want to succeed as well as coaches who are not doing their job. How many players on the Rams do you think really care that they're 2-5? Outside of a few I would imagine that most of them would prefer to be 5-2 but they are getting their checks anyway so it doesn't bother them that much. I think the culture and attitude of these players needs to be changed and I'm getting closer and closer to saying we need new coaches. This sucks :cry:

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
One big issue I see is stability. We have a rotating roster every year. That's one. Then we have a coach who likes to rotate RBs. That's two. Then we have injuries to key positions like QB and Offensive line. That's three.

All that should gives us reasons as to why the Rams have issues even without looking at bad play calling, bad coaching decisions and just bad luck.................but the reality is =

This has been the same story EVERY year with different players, different coaches, different GMs and different owners!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I have to admit, I am envious of the other good teams in the league who have been able to sustain success for long periods and the teams who have been able to turn things around quickly. The Colts had how many consecutive 10+ win seasons with Manning? They had to endure one, only ONE bad season and they get Luck and are back to 10+ wins each season (I know their bad division helps but still). Then the Cardinals. I thought they would have a tough season with their injuries but they have put it all together still and keep winning. I think that the Rams lack the players who have pride in their job and want to succeed as well as coaches who are not doing their job. How many players on the Rams do you think really care that they're 2-5? Outside of a few I would imagine that most of them would prefer to be 5-2 but they are getting their checks anyway so it doesn't bother them that much. I think the culture and attitude of these players needs to be changed and I'm getting closer and closer to saying we need new coaches. This sucks :cry:
How many of the players that they have counted on being a huge part of what they have been trying to build here, have been on the field this season?

Losing Bradford is the single biggest issue IMO. But add to that, Bailey's early suspension, Trumaine Johnson yet to play a down, Chris Long playing less than one half of one game. Robinson NOT being ready at the beginning of the season. (regardless of the reason, he wasn't ready).

There just isn't much room for error, and then you are now "forced" into playing a 4th string QB, and holding your breath week to week as to what you are gonna get from him, it all adds up to just another long, frustrating season.

And you can say "I know their bad division helps BUT STILL" as if you are dismissing the impact that has. But the Colts have benefited more from that single factor than any team in the NFL for more than a decade. Gimme a schedule that has Jacksonville, Houston and Tennessee on it for 6 games every year, and I think we aren't having the same conversation about the Rams.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
How many of the players that they have counted on being a huge part of what they have been trying to build here, have been on the field this season?

Losing Bradford is the single biggest issue IMO. But add to that, Bailey's early suspension, Trumaine Johnson yet to play a down, Chris Long playing less than one half of one game. Robinson NOT being ready at the beginning of the season. (regardless of the reason, he wasn't ready).

There just isn't much room for error, and then you are now "forced" into playing a 4th string QB, and holding your breath week to week as to what you are gonna get from him, it all adds up to just another long, frustrating season.

And you can say "I know their bad division helps BUT STILL" as if you are dismissing the impact that has. But the Colts have benefited more from that single factor than any team in the NFL for more than a decade. Gimme a schedule that has Jacksonville, Houston and Tennessee on it for 6 games every year, and I think we aren't having the same conversation about the Rams.

When you have Fisher as your coach, and he brings with him his entire good 'ole boys club of coaches, can you really expect more than .500 football at best? Then let's throw on to that his propensity to sign his former players through free agency. What question is there that we can expect anything more than that from him?

The only variable in his coaching tenure in STL is the control he's getting for the roster, and it's not looking too good in the long run. Sure, Quick is looking up...and sure we have 4 first round picks on the D-line. But, what has Williams been able to do with it?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
What I find ironic is that in Bradford's career so many people were bashing him for not pushing the ball down the field, checking down too much, and now we have a guy who is doing just what they wanted from Sam.

I think that's correctable for Davis, but for those that were bashing Sam for not pushing the ball downfield (often times because nobody was open in the first place), this is what all of his checkdowns prevented.
that's why I say fuck it bring Sam back for his last year. spend the high picks on the Oline and linebackers and just go for it. if he gets hurt then fine nail in the coffin. But I want to see Bradord sling the ball 40 yards downfield because you could tell in preseason he was ready to let it rip. he's got reciecers now so give him a line and go.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
When you have Fisher as your coach, and he brings with him his entire good 'ole boys club of coaches, can you really expect more than .500 football at best? Then let's throw on to that his propensity to sign his former players through free agency. What question is there that we can expect anything more than that from him?

The only variable in his coaching tenure in STL is the control he's getting for the roster, and it's not looking too good in the long run. Sure, Quick is looking up...and sure we have 4 first round picks on the D-line. But, what has Williams been able to do with it?
I keep hearing this "good ole' boys club of coaches" commentary. Not sure how this is always a bad thing. Tell me how having a Mike Wauffle, Frank Bush, Ray Sherman, Frank Cignetti, Chick Cecil, Dave McGinnist, Rob Boras, John Fassel, Clyde Simmons, Paul Boudreau is so horrible.

Now compare that to the "who's who" list of asst coaches in the Steve Spagnuolo tunure. Can you even name more than 3 of the position coaches from those days? And do you want to even bring up the list of FA from his regime? James Butler, Craig Dahl, Steve Smith, Billy Bajema, Brian Kehl, Roderick Hood? I, for one, do NOT want to go back to those days.

I get it, you don't like Schottenheimer. But none of us really know what the design of the game plan is week to week. much less the execution of it by the QB play to play. I get it, Gregg Williams sucks. But at what point is executing a scheme fall on the players? Where has the defensive line been all season? Does Chris Long's absence mean that much? How much does it impact the secondary when you start THREE ROOKIES, and have who many feel is your best CB still not play a single down this year? Fair questions don't you think?

I get that people are frustrated after yesterday. And all this frustration is only exaggerated because of the optimism coming off the Seattle win. And if somehow they go into SF and find a way to win this week, then we are back to feeling good about where they are. The issue here, IMO, is the only consistent thing about this team, is the INCONSISTENCY we will get from it, with a 4th string QB, and backups being thrust into starting roles all over the field.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave

I wasn't dismissing their bad division at all. I included that phrase so no one would quote me and tell me that they win 10+ games every year because they play in the worst division. I know that as well as pretty much everyone else I hope. But the fact remains, they continue to have successful seasons year after year. They only had to endure one terrible season. We have had to endure the worse five years stretch of any team in NFL history and still can't break .500. I think most of us would rather play in their division and win 10+ games every year and at least be in the playoffs with a chance compared to playing in ours and having a 7-9 or worse seasons. I agree with you and everyone else who has pointed out how many injuries we've had to key players. I know that is a huge factor and reason this season is lost. I could write several paragraphs on here as to why I am disappointed with this franchise and why this season is lost. But I didn't want to have an extremely long rant for people to read. That and my next class was going to start soon lol. I was actually one of those guys before the season that was saying that we could still be a pretty good team despite losing Bradford. But the injuries, disappointing play of the defense and what I believe to be inferior coaching to this point have led me to just wish that we could finally have a team that will not be cursed with injuries and will play to their potential. Years back this team legitimately didn't have any talent. Now they do and that's what makes it even more frustrating in my opinion. And seeing what the Cardinals are doing just makes it worse for me. They have had huge injuries and just keep on rolling along. Just makes me start to question more things about the Rams. In your opinion are the Rams and Cards that far apart? As I see it, the only thing we have on them is the injury to Bradford. Other than that they appear to have as many big injuries. I'm just at an all time low with this team :cry::unsure::(

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Coach, I would like to ask a question. And I'm not trying to cross you up. You have seen them personally grow/blend/meld into the team we have now and I would like to see if a theory 'sticks".

The team really lost a lot of it's footing when Bradford went down. Would you say it's safe to say this team is so 'gun shy" now, that the first hint of problems during a game gets them started on the "here we go again" syndrome. As we have lost our QB, our defensive leader. Been forced to play guys before they are ready. And while there is success from time to time....it's still about how inconsitant the team will be from week to week. (Example: Michael Floyd has had Fitzgerald to lean on. He wasn't the go to guy his first year and has been brought along at a nice clip but until this year wasn"t the guy......and still isn't always.......We had Quick. But no one to teach him how to be a pro. And what he was learning was at a much slower pace than Floyd. Now he gets someone like Britt to show him some of the ropes of playing bigger and the time factor is moved along enough, he finally starts showing that ability......but at a much slower time table....and now he's out.....so we are looking to 2nd year guys to fill his void...).
But we are still (because of injuries....) a year away from (several) guys from being difference makers.(?)
Thoughts?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I wasn't dismissing their bad division at all. I included that phrase so no one would quote me and tell me that they win 10+ games every year because they play in the worst division. I know that as well as pretty much everyone else I hope. But the fact remains, they continue to have successful seasons year after year. They only had to endure one terrible season. We have had to endure the worse five years stretch of any team in NFL history and still can't break .500. I think most of us would rather play in their division and win 10+ games every year and at least be in the playoffs with a chance compared to playing in ours and having a 7-9 or worse seasons. I agree with you and everyone else who has pointed out how many injuries we've had to key players. I know that is a huge factor and reason this season is lost. I could write several paragraphs on here as to why I am disappointed with this franchise and why this season is lost. But I didn't want to have an extremely long rant for people to read. That and my next class was going to start soon lol. I was actually one of those guys before the season that was saying that we could still be a pretty good team despite losing Bradford. But the injuries, disappointing play of the defense and what I believe to be inferior coaching to this point have led me to just wish that we could finally have a team that will not be cursed with injuries and will play to their potential. Years back this team legitimately didn't have any talent. Now they do and that's what makes it even more frustrating in my opinion. And seeing what the Cardinals are doing just makes it worse for me. They have had huge injuries and just keep on rolling along. Just makes me start to question more things about the Rams. In your opinion are the Rams and Cards that far apart? As I see it, the only thing we have on them is the injury to Bradford. Other than that they appear to have as many big injuries. I'm just at an all time low with this team :cry::unsure::(
These rosters are not even close to being similar. You have a veteran corp group on both sides of the ball. A veteran QB, throwing to arguably the best WR of the last decade (with all due respect to C. Johnson over the past 3 years), who was tutored under the likes of an Anquan Boldin his few few years in the league. Now you add a talent like Michael Floyd as a compliment, and you have a dual threat at WR.

A defense who has one of, if not the most dynamic player (sorry Richard Sherman but I will take Patrick Peterson over any DB/CB in football) and now line him up across from Cromartie, to go along with Ty Mathieu in what makes up a pretty good secondary. Maybe even better than Seattle. The d-line is not slouch, Calais Campbell looks like an All-Pro whenever we play him.

Did I think they would be this good? No. have they lost some key players due to injury/suspension. Oh yeah. But it shows the depth of their overall roster that they can plug in veteran guys rather than the like of rookie and second year players. They acquire a Ted Ginn as a 4th WR, and return guy, we add a ROOKIE. They add a Larry Foote to step in as a replacement at LB, we add Will Herring.

I understand, and have a harder time coping with their success than say the Colts, as we have touched on. But again, these are teams that are so much further along in the development of their roster than the Rams were. But, I also understand, at some point, they need to get the 2nd and 3rd year players to step up and start being contributing members, or once again, they end up chasing their tail all over again, and continue to replace them with even younger players.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I keep hearing this "good ole' boys club of coaches" commentary. Not sure how this is always a bad thing. Tell me how having a Mike Wauffle, Frank Bush, Ray Sherman, Frank Cignetti, Chick Cecil, Dave McGinnist, Rob Boras, John Fassel, Clyde Simmons, Paul Boudreau is so horrible.

Now compare that to the "who's who" list of asst coaches in the Steve Spagnuolo tunure. Can you even name more than 3 of the position coaches from those days? And do you want to even bring up the list of FA from his regime? James Butler, Craig Dahl, Steve Smith, Billy Bajema, Brian Kehl, Roderick Hood? I, for one, do NOT want to go back to those days.

I get it, you don't like Schottenheimer. But none of us really know what the design of the game plan is week to week. much less the execution of it by the QB play to play. I get it, Gregg Williams sucks. But at what point is executing a scheme fall on the players? Where has the defensive line been all season? Does Chris Long's absence mean that much? How much does it impact the secondary when you start THREE ROOKIES, and have who many feel is your best CB still not play a single down this year? Fair questions don't you think?

I get that people are frustrated after yesterday. And all this frustration is only exaggerated because of the optimism coming off the Seattle win. And if somehow they go into SF and find a way to win this week, then we are back to feeling good about where they are. The issue here, IMO, is the only consistent thing about this team, is the INCONSISTENCY we will get from it, with a 4th string QB, and backups being thrust into starting roles all over the field.

Coach, at what point do you look back at the history of the Rams being in STL (barring the GSOT years) and put those terrible season on the coaching staffs? I understand that we are the youngest team in the league, but these kids have played football their whole lives. It's on the coaches to put them in position to succeed. We've seen that Fisher holds players out, not because of talent, but because he feels that he owes something to the Vets to start the season.

Is that a huge part of why we start out slow? Davin Jospeh was absolutely dreadful starting the year. We throw in G.Rob and he grades out fairly well while playing guard. Our run game sputters, and we throw in Mason who rips off the two longest runs of the year.

I'd like to flip the bolded part in your post above and say that rather than feeling good about where we are, I think that we'd just be feeling complacent after the win, and forgetting about our dreadful coaching staff for one more week, until they fall back to where they have been.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach, I would like to ask a question. And I'm not trying to cross you up. You have seen them personally grow/blend/meld into the team we have now and I would like to see if a theory 'sticks".

The team really lost a lot of it's footing when Bradford went down. Would you say it's safe to say this team is so 'gun shy" now, that the first hint of problems during a game gets them started on the "here we go again" syndrome. As we have lost our QB, our defensive leader. Been forced to play guys before they are ready. And while there is success from time to time....it's still about how inconsitant the team will be from week to week. (Example: Michael Floyd has had Fitzgerald to lean on. He wasn't the go to guy his first year and has been brought along at a nice clip but until this year wasn"t the guy......and still isn't always.......We had Quick. But no one to teach him how to be a pro. And what he was learning was at a much slower pace than Floyd. Now he gets someone like Britt to show him some of the ropes of playing bigger and the time factor is moved along enough, he finally starts showing that ability......but at a much slower time table....and now he's out.....so we are looking to 2nd year guys to fill his void...).
But we are still (because of injuries....) a year away from (several) guys from being difference makers.(?)
Thoughts?
I don't think its so much a "here we go again" mindset. I think its more a case of having young players who tend to feel the pressure, and when they guys like Chris Long, Tru Johnson and yesterday, even Janoris Jenkins aren't on the field, it easily gets away from them.

But it all comes back to having such a young "raw" QB, who seems to get flustered, and then wants to "get it all back" in one play all too often. They had 65 yards of offense after the opening drive. (until the late 4th qtr "drive" when they had already had 34 endured unanswered points). He forced the ball the same way he did against SF in the second half. I don't really want to hear about how BAD the Oline was. There were plays to be made, but he just doesn't see the field. He can't expect to "keep plays alive" every snap, and this is exactly what I saw throughout training camp each of the past 2 years. When he scrambles in the 7 on 7 drills, it tells me he doesn't know where to go with the ball "on time". On the flipside, Alex Smith didn't throw a single pass "deep" all day. But yet, he took what he could get, and methodically took the ball down the field. Missed tackles were the cause for their "big plays".

That game turned when they get a turnover inside the 10 yard line, and got NOTHING out of it. There is absolutely no justifying taking TWO sacks in that situation, and holding the ball that long in the RedZone. Then to add insult to injury (no pun intended) you take an 18 yard sack when you clearly had more than enough time to find a receiver, or at the very least throw the ball into the 3rd row. Not excusing Zuerlein's missed FG, but seriously? 3 plays starting at the 6, and we "net" a -16 on that "drive!

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach, at what point do you look back at the history of the Rams being in STL (barring the GSOT years) and put those terrible season on the coaching staffs? I understand that we are the youngest team in the league, but these kids have played football their whole lives. It's on the coaches to put them in position to succeed. We've seen that Fisher holds players out, not because of talent, but because he feels that he owes something to the Vets to start the season.

Is that a huge part of why we start out slow? Davin Jospeh was absolutely dreadful starting the year. We throw in G.Rob and he grades out fairly well while playing guard. Our run game sputters, and we throw in Mason who rips off the two longest runs of the year.

I'd like to flip the bolded part in your post above and say that rather than feeling good about where we are, I think that we'd just be feeling complacent after the win, and forgetting about our dreadful coaching staff for one more week, until they fall back to where they have been.
For every player he "holds out" who steps in and performs once they finally get the opportunity, there have been just as many who have been pressed into action who have struggled early on. Ogletree was not very good at the outset of last season. Neither was TJ McDonald. Tavon Austin? They pushed McLeod into the starters role last year, and how did that work out, especially early. I don't think it has anything to do with him "feels he owes something to the vets", but they they just are better suited and more "ready" at the outset of the season.

The NFL has changed dramatically over the past 3 years. With the new CBA, they just don't have the practice time to get THIS MANY young players the reps they need to feel comfortable enough to trust they know what they are doing on opening day. When they are now the "youngest team in the league" 3 years running, they are much more susceptible to this issue than most of the other teams. Especially teams in their division.

You also seem to discount the FACT that so many players (Saffold, Long, Wells, Barnes, Jones) all missed time in training camp. Now if you want to discuss the choices they made in terms of the roster, that's another discussion. But Davin Joseph was actually one of the most consistent players on the line all throughout training camp AND the preseason.

I guess we will just agree to disagree when it comes to the coaching. I have been "fortunate" to watch up close and personal, the last 3 coaching staffs and how they go about "coaching" this team, and its not even close. Fisher has forgotten more about being a Head Coach, and assembling a REAL NFL Coaching staff than the other two combined. Doesn't mean I agree with everything they do. But at some point it has to be on the players to perform.

I am not trying to be a smartass with this,, so bare with me. You say these "kids have played football their whole lives", and yet, many of them have no idea what an NFL Playbook looks like, much less the techniques involved in playing at this level. The college game has become a video game, and these kids, just don't have much of an understanding of what fundamentals are. The younger players who come in and succeed right away, in most cases are on teams where they have a veteran presence around them, and aren't being asked to do more than their share day one. That hasn't been the case here. At what point, when they are now the "youngest roster in the league" for the 3rd straight season, does it catch up with them? And IMO, its more about the overall youth at the depth spots, than it is with the starters.

The one thing I do agree with you on, is at some point, this roster needs to start developing. They are not seeing the progress from the majority of the 3rd year guys who have had plenty of chances to step up.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think its so much a "here we go again" mindset. I think its more a case of having young players who tend to feel the pressure, and when they guys like Chris Long, Tru Johnson and yesterday, even Janoris Jenkins aren't on the field, it easily gets away from them.

But it all comes back to having such a young "raw" QB, who seems to get flustered, and then wants to "get it all back" in one play all too often. They had 65 yards of offense after the opening drive. (until the late 4th qtr "drive" when they had already had 34 endured unanswered points). He forced the ball the same way he did against SF in the second half. I don't really want to hear about how BAD the Oline was. There were plays to be made, but he just doesn't see the field. He can't expect to "keep plays alive" every snap, and this is exactly what I saw throughout training camp each of the past 2 years. When he scrambles in 7 on 7 drills, it tells me he doesn't know where to go with the ball "on time". On the flipside, Alex Smith didn't throw a single pass "deep" all day. But yet, he took what he could get, and methodically took the ball down the field. Missed tackles were the cause for their "big plays".

That game turned when they get a turnover inside the 10 yard line, and got NOTHING out of it. There is absolutely no justifying taking TWO sacks in that situation, and holding the ball that long in the RedZone. Then to add insult to injury (no pun intended) you take an 18 yard sack when you clearly had more than enough time to find a receiver, or at the very least throw the ball into the 3rd row. Not excusing Zuerlein's missed FG, but seriously? 3 plays starting at the 6, and we "net" a -16 on that "drive!
Great post. Davis may have been playing better than our wildest dreams, but that doesnt mean he is playing well. He's not, and that's ok. He is making mistakes that he just cant make