The Really Discouraging Part

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AZRamsFan93

that's why I say freak it bring Sam back for his last year. spend the high picks on the Oline and linebackers and just go for it. if he gets hurt then fine nail in the coffin. But I want to see Bradord sling the ball 40 yards downfield because you could tell in preseason he was ready to let it rip. he's got reciecers now so give him a line and go.
Except Sam may not be ready to play. Period. Can we count on that, or do we take steps to mitigate the risk?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that's why I say freak it bring Sam back for his last year. spend the high picks on the Oline and linebackers and just go for it. if he gets hurt then fine nail in the coffin. But I want to see Bradord sling the ball 40 yards downfield because you could tell in preseason he was ready to let it rip. he's got reciecers now so give him a line and go.
And burn 16mill of cap space? Just crazy

AZRamsFan93

I get that people are frustrated after yesterday. And all this frustration is only exaggerated because of the optimism coming off the Seattle win. And if somehow they go into SF and find a way to win this week, then we are back to feeling good about where they are. The issue here, IMO, is the only consistent thing about this team, is the INCONSISTENCY we will get from it, with a 4th string QB, and backups being thrust into starting roles all over the field.
Therein lies a big part of the problem. The Seattle win was smoke and mirrors. You cannot hope to repeat that kind of performance week in and week out. At some point the good guys have to win by just lining up and beating the guys across from them, playing clean, hard-nosed football with few mistakes. They need better blocking, better tackling, better QB play, and better coaching. When that happens we will see a consistent winner. Until then all we can hope for is the occasional upset.

AZRamsFan93

I understand, and have a harder time coping with their success than say the Colts, as we have touched on. But again, these are teams that are so much further along in the development of their roster than the Rams were. But, I also understand, at some point, they need to get the 2nd and 3rd year players to step up and start being contributing members, or once again, they end up chasing their tail all over again, and continue to replace them with even younger players.
I am beginning to question how good our 2nd and 3rd players really are. They are good on paper, but will they ever be good on the field? I guess we will find out.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I do believe that the Rams are 'close.' You can see it, even though it sometimes comes with an unearned penalty or even an earned one. Some of the tackles that they are making are things of beauty, but they don't carry it over to one play after another. They are ragged, uneven; they are, for the most part, finding their way. I DO believe that they are far better than the crapola that we are seeing each week take the field. I DO believe that it was a HUGE mistake to get Gregg Williams when we really DID have Sack City last year. Fisher should have DEMANDED that Williams leave alone any defensive schemes that were actually working, and just tinker with those that were not. I mean, even our blitzes last season were more efficient and, therefore, probably better designed than the ones that are being called this season. WTAF?

Maybe we will see the return of Sack City when Chris Long returns. God forbid that he tears HIS ACL!

And Schotty? I am at a loss for words. Did he draw up just ONE damned drive for this week's game? Or were his schemes so dependent on having Brian Quick available that they just went to crap?

Speaking of crap, RB by committee is a colossal fail. I was unable to watch yesterday, but I heard Zac Stacy's name and it seemed like he got some good yardage on a couple of plays and then I lost my signal for a while and when it returned I never heard Stacy's name again. WHAT HAPPENED??? Did HE GET HURT, too??? Or did they revert to someone else or simply abandon the run?

Speaking of this sack city crap..Portraying themselves as "all that" with an ego-driven nick makes them look pretty silly when they rank last in the area that got them the stupid nick...What happened to the types of players who, when making a play, acted like they had been there before...

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Except Sam may not be ready to play. Period. Can we count on that, or do we take steps to mitigate the risk?
the recover time is suppose to be about the same. so he could actually be further recovered. it's either risk the 16 mil or take a gamble on a QB but I'm not impressed with the draft options

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The Seattle win was smoke and mirrors.
Now, this is what drives me crazy. It wasn't smoke and mirrors. It was "any given Sunday." Too many have tried to put Seattle on this unapproachable pinnacle because they came together as a team toward the end of the year and put together a great run and won the Super Bowl. Yeah for them....(Yeah, I kind of threw up in my mouth even writing that but it was what it was......). But that didn't place them ahead of every team for the entire season until replaced as champion. They have their ups and downs just like every team.

And one thing you learn quickly about the NFL is games usually happen because 3 or 4 plays. Like yesterday. What happens if we recover the first Smith fumble? Gaines instead of trying to pick it up simply falls on it. Coupled w/ the fumble that did happen, we get points out of both. Then you have a nail biter deep into the game. And maybe KC gives up on the run. We did get to them, so we get more sacks and then they don't because we feature our running game more. Now KC is a solid team.....but make them play against their strengths and they aren't world beaters. The game came apart and then sealed once they took the 2nd half KO back. This isn't like college where there really is a big gap in talent between the bigger and smaller schools. Every team in the league has good players and it's the coaching staff's job to put those players in position to make plays. And it's the players jobs to execute those situations. But what Coach O seems to be saying, is where some teams have solid exp. players to fall back on, we have to rely on guys who are being asked to step up before they are ready to burden that load. Or because of injuries have to have players come through that would never even see the field in a perfect world. They are still among the best football players in the world. But there are real reasons they weren't supposed to be the starters to begin with. And the season is an ebb and flow on whether your players can win those game hinging plays from week to week.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
These rosters are not even close to being similar. You have a veteran corp group on both sides of the ball. A veteran QB, throwing to arguably the best WR of the last decade (with all due respect to C. Johnson over the past 3 years), who was tutored under the likes of an Anquan Boldin his few few years in the league. Now you add a talent like Michael Floyd as a compliment, and you have a dual threat at WR.

A defense who has one of, if not the most dynamic player (sorry Richard Sherman but I will take Patrick Peterson over any DB/CB in football) and now line him up across from Cromartie, to go along with Ty Mathieu in what makes up a pretty good secondary. Maybe even better than Seattle. The d-line is not slouch, Calais Campbell looks like an All-Pro whenever we play him.

Did I think they would be this good? No. have they lost some key players due to injury/suspension. Oh yeah. But it shows the depth of their overall roster that they can plug in veteran guys rather than the like of rookie and second year players. They acquire a Ted Ginn as a 4th WR, and return guy, we add a ROOKIE. They add a Larry Foote to step in as a replacement at LB, we add Will Herring.

I understand, and have a harder time coping with their success than say the Colts, as we have touched on. But again, these are teams that are so much further along in the development of their roster than the Rams were. But, I also understand, at some point, they need to get the 2nd and 3rd year players to step up and start being contributing members, or once again, they end up chasing their tail all over again, and continue to replace them with even younger players.

I completely agree with you and thank you for your input. I should have worded my question better but I was strictly speaking from just a talent standpoint. I wouldn't say the Cards have that much more talent when these two rosters are compared. Where they are better than the Rams in certain positions, the Rams are better than the Cards in certain positions. I think the Rams need to add more veteran leadership to this team. That's where I see the Cards benefitting so much from compared to the Rams. In my opinion of course. I could be very wrong.

AZRamsFan93

Now, this is what drives me crazy. It wasn't smoke and mirrors. It was "any given Sunday."
I agree, but you are missing my point. The point I was trying to make is that you cannot expect to win every week when you are outgained 463-275, out rushed 171-102, and beaten in first downs 25-18. That recipe usually results in a loss unless there was significant turnover differential or big time special teams plays (like the Seattle game). To win consistently over a season or multiple seasons this team will need line up and beat down the team across the line, have their QB play better than the opposing QB, and call/manage the game well from the sidelines.

This team cannot do that yet. Until they can we will continue to be a losing franchise. IMHO.

AZRamsFan93

the recover time is suppose to be about the same. so he could actually be further recovered. it's either risk the 16 mil or take a gamble on a QB but I'm not impressed with the draft options
That is not what I heard from the surgeon right after the injury. He said at least 12 months to recover, and ideally he would take 18-24 months to fully heal.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
That is not what I heard from the surgeon right after the injury. He said at least 12 months to recover, and ideally he would take 18-24 months to fully heal.
?? fuck that's not what they said before the surgery. shouldve just gotten a robotic leg.

fancents86

Starter
All I know, is that every team we play we make them look like a Super Bowl bound team. Whether it's their offensive schemes or talent as a whole, we look vanilla and incompetent on both sides of the ball for all but 1 qtr.

AZRamsFan93

?? freak that's not what they said before the surgery. shouldve just gotten a robotic leg.
In any case each situation is unique. Bradford will heal at whatever pace his body allows. It is clear that we likely won't know by draft day. Would you risk it? Bet he can play? I say we draft a QB.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The Rams should just send the entire roster to get knee surgery right after every season just to make sure that they get enough recovery time before camp starts.