The Rams Should Trade Their Second Pick Before FA Begins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
103725_Rams_Snead_Football.jpg

by Ryan Van Bibber

Sometimes "BREAKING NEWS" is just repackaged conventional wisdom, a confirmation of something everybody knew. On Monday evening, ESPN poured a little jet fuel of their own, before the 2012 Daytona 500 made large fuel fires cool again, onto the NFL rumor mill, reporting that the St. Louis Rams "will" trade their second overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. After sweeping through the 140-character slums of the internet, Schefter's report got some clarification fixed to it: the Rams have "decided" to trade the pick.

All they need now is another team to trade the pick to, a trade partner.

Last night, one of our front page writers, RamHock, made the case to wait and let "frenzy machine run its course." It makes perfectly good sense. I am of another opinion. The Rams should trade the pick as soon as possible, before free agency begins on March 13.

Why? Allow me to explain.

The prize to be had with the second overall pick is Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. Everyone knew the Heisman Trophy winner was an athletic young man with a cannon for an arm, the accuracy of a well-maintained Predator drone and a heady on-field presence with a knack for finding his receivers. Griffin Is Good.

His performance at the 2012 Scouting Combine, from the weigh-in to the press conference to the love-to-hate-it 40-yard dash, lit the world on fire. Griffin wowed everyone. While the skills may still require some further refinement, he has everything needed to be the face of a franchise, just add uniform and reasonably priced rookie contract.

Emotions are running hot for Griffin. Like any half-assed Don Draper type knows, the key to sales is a direct appeal to the heart, not the head.

Emotion is running hot for Griffin right now. Time, and free agency, will dilute that feeling as well as lower the price the Rams will fetch in return for the second pick.

According to Adam Schefter's ESPN colleague John Clayton, the calming Yen to his raging Yang, only two teams are viable suitors for the Rams' pick. Only Cleveland and Washington, with picks at #4 and #6, have the power to strike a deal. I still would not rule out other potential teams, but Clayton's point is a good one.

Dealing before free agency starts on March 13 would also be in the Rams' interest because of two free agent quarterbacks, Matt Flynn and Peyton Manning. Right now, Manning is an unknown. Will he still be effective enough for a team to pay the kind of money he will expect on the market? Teams cannot be sure of that at this point, since all they have to rely on is second-hand news. Flynn will not come cheap either, especially if the Packers use the franchise tag and then trade him. Flynn also carries a big question mark. His college tape is not on the same level with Griffin's body of work. The former LSU product and Aaron Rodgers understudy may well be a fine quarterback, but he is not Robert Griffin III.

With Flynn and Manning waiting until later in March (Manning will likely be cut loose by March 8 when his monster bonus is due), there is perceived competition for RG3, more competition than when teams can sign Manning and Flynn.

It is well-known that the Rams have had preliminary talks with other teams about trading the pick. How far those talks have advanced depends on the report. In the case of the Redskins, we have heard actual prices mentioned: their three top picks and one or two in 2013.

Another advantage for the team trading for RG3, or the pick, is that they can enter free agency with some very clear goals, knowing they have a cost-controlled rookie quarterback.

The trade rumors floating out of Bristol and elsewhere only stoke the perceptions of inevitability, whether they were meant to or not. If a deal does not happen now, I doubt one happens until April 26, when the first round of the draft starts. No team will be as desperate to deal as they are now until the possibility of losing out on Griffin stares them in the face while the clock ticks away on their future. If the Rams wait that long, they may have to take whatever deal they can get, a smaller one than they might fetch between now and March 8.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/2/28/ ... riffin-iii

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I think I would wait till after his pro day when he puts on a show and makes the Browns and Redskins want him even more. I don't see Manning going to either of them and Flynn will either get franchised or go to the Dolphins.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cullen Bryant said:
I think I would wait till after his pro day when he puts on a show and makes the Browns and Redskins want him even more. I don't see Manning going to either of them and Flynn will either get franchised or go to the Dolphins.

I posted this because it brings up an interesting debate. Do we make the trade before FA begins? Once that happens, it can take away some trade partners. I just dont see how his Pro Day changes anything. IMO, pro days are mostly for guys just coming off injury, didnt participate in the combine. The only thing that will change for RGIII is the media buzz would grow even more, and that just sounds silly because of the environment he will have around him (Baylor WRs).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
JdashSTL said:
Cullen Bryant said:

I posted this because it brings up an interesting debate. Do we make the trade before FA begins? Once that happens, it can take away some trade partners. I just dont see how his Pro Day changes anything. IMO, pro days are mostly for guys just coming off injury, didnt participate in the combine. The only thing that will change for RGIII is the media buzz would grow even more, and that just sounds silly because of the environment he will have around him (Baylor WRs).

Yeah - I'd have to agree with you Jdash. I think the teams that are REALLY interested won't be any more wowed after his Pro day. I also think it allows us a better position coming into free agency. I would think that we would have a much better idea who we could target and get in the draft if we know for sure which position we are drafting in. We could then target free agents around who we are almost certain to get in the draft - at least in the first round.

From a fan standpoint, I am jonesing big time wondering what we are going to get for that pick. Do it..... Do it NOW.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
RamFan503 said:
JdashSTL said:
Cullen Bryant said:

Yeah - I'd have to agree with you Jdash. I think the teams that are REALLY interested won't be any more wowed after his Pro day. I also think it allows us a better position coming into free agency. I would think that we would have a much better idea who we could target and get in the draft if we know for sure which position we are drafting in. We could then target free agents around who we are almost certain to get in the draft - at least in the first round.

From a fan standpoint, I am jonesing big time wondering what we are going to get for that pick. Do it..... Do it NOW.

You guys make good points so I have to agree, if they get the deal they're looking for go ahead and take it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Cullen Bryant said:
I say the sooner we deal the pick the more value we get. As I see it, RGIIIl's value can only go down from this pt forward, as his 40-time has put him on a temporary peak. I just dont see how his pro day can wow anyone any more than they already have been

By no means am i trying to devalue Griffin, as I think he's going to be a huge success in the league, and I really like the kid.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Re:

interference said:
Cullen Bryant said:
I say the sooner we deal the pick the more value we get. As I see it, RGIIIl's value can only go down from this pt forward, as his 40-time has put him on a temporary peak. I just dont see how his pro day can wow anyone any more than they already have been

By no means am i trying to devalue Griffin, as I think he's going to be a huge success in the league, and I really like the kid.

Well he's gonna throw at his Pro Day, and you know people will go nuts about that when we all know its a safe environment for him, theres no injury concerns he has to answer (like Bradford had) and you would be shocked if he didnt perform well. Thats the only way his media buzz will go up a little more.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Is this even allowed??? Trading before the draft, before the start of the new league year?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
Is this even allowed??? Trading before the draft, before the start of the new league year?
Yep. You can broker draft picks before the draft, but not compensatory picks or players.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As much as I would love to see us receive and take a king's ransom for a trade TODAY ,,, it just doesn't seem very realistic.

Just think about this... RGIII gets in a car accident.

Too many variables exist to responsibly make a trade this early .

I hate waiting too, but at least our Rams are getting lots of publicity.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
As much as I would love to see us receive and take a king's ransom for a trade TODAY ,,, it just doesn't seem very realistic.

But maybe we traded the pick to Seattle. :sly:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
Angry Ram said:
Yep. You can broker draft picks before the draft, but not compensatory picks or players.

Any trades cant be made official until FA starts, right? We could have a handshake deal in place by then but I wonder if other teams would wait a few days into the FA period before they make their decision. I dont think were waiting until the last possible minute. I think we will know the picks (and players?) before draft day.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Selassie I said:

Thats been really nice, unless people continue to debate whether or not we should keep Bradford (like ESPN's First Take did this morning). I made the mistake of checking that out just to see what they (Bayless) would say...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
just to see what they (Bayless) would say...

skip-bayless.jpg

[mp3]http://www.moviewavs.com/0084356043/MP3S/Movies/40_Year_Old_Virgin/genitaltogenital.mp3[/mp3]

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fuck Skip Bayless. He says whatever the writers tell him to say. Punk Ass Bitch.

503... Les would earn the "GM of the Year" Award if your trade to seattle scenario happened. As far as I am concerned anyway.

And for the record,,,, Fuck Skip Bayless btw. :cheese:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Waiting closer to the draft could make the bidding war heat up and make the team that REALLY wants RG3 above any FA available pay even more! Patience my brothers!

superfan24

Starter
The sooner the better :mrgreen:
Hate waiting when the media is goin crazy about it right now.
We are on our way Ram bros. Can't wait for all the fun next year

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:
The sooner the better :mrgreen:
Hate waiting when the media is goin crazy about it right now.
We are on our way Ram bros. Can't wait for all the fun next year

Thats been awesome in a way cuz it feels like the draft is upon us, but were still in February :grr:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Dang didn't know that. Ever happen before back in the diz-ay?