The Rams' Possible Clowney Conundrum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

ncf_u_clowneyj2_576x324.jpg

Jim Dedmon/Icon SMISouth Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney may be the best player in the draft, but is he the right player for St. Louis?

ST. LOUIS -- A little more than a year ago, if you had offered the St. Louis Rams and their fans the opportunity to draft South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, there's a good chance they'd have done it in a heartbeat.

At the time, Clowney was fresh off a dominant sophomore season in which he posted 13 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss. His signature moment came in the Outback Bowl when he leveled Michigan running back Vincent Smith with a bone-jarring hit that cost Smith his helmet and eventually won Clowney the ESPY for best play.

The Rams, meanwhile, were pretty well set at defensive end but not to the point that they'd turn down a possible generational talent such as Clowney. Robert Quinn wasn't yet established as a dominant force, valuable end William Hayes was headed for unrestricted free agency and even fourth end Eugene Sims had only a year left on his contract.

Much has changed in the past year. Quinn became the best 4-3 end in football, Hayes and Sims signed contract extensions and Chris Long continued to produce quarterback hits and hurries even if his sack total dipped. Clowney's junior season came with questions about his effort and his numbers dropped precipitously. He finished with three sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss. His biggest accomplishment seemed to be making it through the season without a serious injury.

Beyond all of that, the Washington Redskins fell from playoff team to the second-worst in football, gifting the Rams the No. 2 overall pick in this year's NFL draft as the final piece of the 2012 trade that landed them quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Now, believe it or not, the Rams find themselves in a position where Clowney very well could be available to them. If Houston opts for a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick, the Rams could face a difficult decision.

The Case For: Although Clowney's final season at South Carolina didn't meet the lofty expectations, he's still widely regarded as the most impressive prospect in the draft. At 6-foot-6, 274 pounds, Clowney has the size, strength and athleticism to step in and play right away. When he's finished with combine and pro day workouts, there's likely going to be little doubt he's the best prospect in the draft regardless of position.

While the Rams appear set at defensive end, there are still plenty of reasons that Clowney in St. Louis could work. Recent Super Bowl winners, particularly the New York Giants, have thrived on the idea that you can never have too many pass rushers. Those Giants found a way to get all of theirs on the field and Rams coach Jeff Fisher and defensive line coach Mike Waufle are creative enough to find ways to get Clowney on the field. They could use him at end, they could move him inside in passing situations, he could even potentially stand up as a linebacker in certain pass rushing spots.

From a financial standpoint, it would represent another fairly large investment in a position where big money is already being spent but Quinn is going to command a massive payday in the near future. Clowney could provide insurance in case striking a deal with Quinn becomes difficult. The Rams could also have Clowney waiting in the wings should the Rams reach a point where Long's contract becomes untenable.

More than anything mentioned above, Clowney could represent the chance for the Rams to land a genuine difference maker, something the team simply doesn't have enough of. Aside from Quinn, there's not another player on the current defense or offense who would be considered one of the best in the league at his position. There are a handful of guys, such as linebacker Alec Ogletree, who could reach that status but for now Quinn is the one. Just because Clowney happens to play the same position as the team's one blue chipper shouldn't preclude the Rams from potentially adding another one, especially if they view him a notch above the rest of the draft prospects.

The Case Against: Clowney's disappointing junior season raised some legitimate questions about effort and desire. He randomly disappeared for stretches of games and those who watched him regularly wondered if his conditioning level was where it needed to be to dominate from down to down.

In some sense, Clowney is a victim of his own success. His exciting talent created expectations and hype that would be difficult for anyone to match. He's also had some injury issues, including bone spurs in his right foot that gave him problems during his junior season. For the most part, weaknesses in Clowney's ability is picking nits, though.

The more precise reasons for the Rams not to draft Clowney correlate directly to need. As mentioned above, the Rams have one of the best defensive line rotations in the league. Not only are the starters good players but they have depth across the board. While the No. 2 pick from Washington is a bit of a luxury since it didn't originally belong to St. Louis, the Rams still have plenty of needs that could be filled elsewhere.

Picking at No. 2, the Rams could add a top offensive lineman or receiver, areas in which they clearly need help. They could also leverage Clowney's stock to make a trade down and continue to add more valuable picks, potentially landing a top offensive lineman or receiver while picking up extra draft capital.

One could also argue that even if the Rams find ways to get Clowney on the field, his value would be limited in 2014 because he'd only be on the field part of the time. For a team that needs to take a big step forward in year three of the Fisher/general manager Les Snead era, they could be better served with someone who can be on the field every down.

The Verdict: Honestly, I can see understand both sides of this debate. If the Rams reached a point where Clowney checked out physically and was clearly the best player available with a gap between he and the rest of the prospects, passing on Clowney would be a move the team could one day regret. Maybe a trade would land more quantity but drafting for need over simply taking the best player is often a recipe for disaster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The last line is a strange one where the Rams in 2012 made a trade for more quantity & as I sit here now I do not see the often recipe disaster. "Maybe a trade would land more quantity but drafting for need over simply taking the best player is often a recipe for disaster". I see the opposite here Rams got more Quantity of draft selections & what I think better quality needed players than RG3.

Rams did not need RG3 & in truth unless the 6-6 274 pound DE can put on another 20 pounds of muscle so he could play some DT & replace Cudjo as the 3rd DT in 2014 this season & give the Rams Org. some options with the DT Kendall Langford in 2015. So Quinn, Long, Hayes & Sims playing the outside.

Fisher used DE's in the interior a lot more in 2012 than he did this season. The non starting DE were used sparingly & Fisher used Brockers & Langford much more & it was effective. So in truth there is no trending by Fisher in using DE's inside. But a 6-6 290 plus Jadeveon may change that.

I am still firmly in this frame of mind "leverage Clowney's stock to make a trade down and continue to add more valuable picks, potentially landing a top offensive lineman or receiver while picking up extra draft capital." I know that pass rushing DE's like Jadeveon are rare and can cause much drooling by teams like Falcons, TB Bucs, Jax Jags.

The team who is in a real pickle is the Vikings who are sitting there @ #8. Real excellent chance that all four of the top QB's could be off the boards. This team needs a QB as bad as the Texans, Jags & Browns. They have needed a QB for many yrs now & a few yrs back "stayed put" & took a left over lower QB and that was a true "recipe for disaster". The Vikings had 3 first rd picks in 2013 so they have some talent youth present. This teams could be the ideal team to offer us a decent bounty of 2014 picks & a future selection or selections. #8 is not too far down & as we know the #13 comes real close.

Imagine how the Browns would react if they caught wind that the Vikings were moving into the top and where the first three picks going for QB's (Bridgewater, Bortles & Manziel) leaving them high & without @ #4! I think they would call Snead & trade up with those two firsts & a third selections.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Legend
Nick should have just used any of our threads on this subject for the pluses and minuses.

Then there's this:
The Verdict: Honestly, I can see understand both sides of this debate. If the Rams reached a point where Clowney checked out physically and was clearly the best player available with a gap between he and the rest of the prospects, passing on Clowney would be a move the team could one day regret.

How can anybody come to the conclusion that he's clearly the best player available based on his 2013 performance? You'd have to completely ignore the whole "case against" that he himself made. I'm not saying that isn't the way to go but it's obviously a case of rolling the dice which isn't part of his "verdict". I think his either or is a false choice.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nick should have just used any of our threads on this subject for the pluses and minuses.Then there's this: How can anybody come to the conclusion that he's clearly the best player available based on his 2013 performance? You'd have to completely ignore the whole "case against" that he himself made. I'm not saying that isn't the way to go but it's obviously a case of rolling the dice which isn't part of his "verdict". I think his either or is a false choice.

Alan my friend ...pass rushers can seriously take over an NFL game like no other defensive position can. If Jadeveon is 3/4 as good as most think..... he is still by far the best player in this upcoming draft period.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alan my friend ...pass rushers can seriously take over an NFL game like no other defensive position can. If Jadeveon is 3/4 as good as most think..... he is still by far the best player in this upcoming draft period.
No doubt. I can't think of another player in the draft who could absolutely dominate at his respective position like Clowney could. It's kinda fruitless to speculate why he had the year he had, because only he knows. I just don't know if he's a guy we can afford to take with all the other needs, but I have a strong suspicion that Fisher is absolutely drooling over the idea of lining him up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No doubt. I can't think of another player in the draft who could absolutely dominate at his respective position like Clowney could. It's kinda fruitless to speculate why he had the year he had, because only he knows. I just don't know if he's a guy we can afford to take with all the other needs, but I have a strong suspicion that Fisher is absolutely drooling over the idea of lining him up.

The ideal of having two pass rushers (Rob & Jadeveon) with the serious pass rush talent they have together would fed off themselves in 2014. The on field competition would be something not seen in a Rams uni since the Wistrom/Little seasons 2001 -2003 but more in line with Jack Youngblood & Fred Dryer early yrs 1973 to 1976.

Chris Long the 6-3 275 pound would give way to Jadeveon on 2nd & 3rd longs...the issue is how to properly use a super costly DL'er like Chris. As we all know by now that Chris does not have the foot speed to take the wide loop in pursuit like Robert & Jadeveon does. Chris moving part time inside would shorten his closing burst. This season as good as Chris was ...there were many times where Chris was engulfed by the larger ORT blockers go back an look @ the Cards game where the average but very large ORT Winston Chris would just get stuck to him all day.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It depends;
  1. Where do our scouts rank him?
  2. What trade offers do we get?
It's a value question from there.

I happen to get a little excited thinking about Clowney. Besides, there is no guarantee Long and Quinn stay healthy.

It might feel like a luxury until you focus on stock piling the best players possible.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam buying into the Clowney hype:
Could be that 2013 was an aberration Bonifay. Snisher might be willing to take that chance. I might too if we didn't have so many other holes to fill.

While I agree that a fantastic DE can really effect a game, they can't do it by themselves. Take a look at all the great DE's in the league now and then take a look at how many championships they've single handedly earned for their team. They need to be surrounded by good players at the other positions too. We don't resemble that team yet. In addition, as I've mentioned before, Clowney wouldn't be replacing the waterboy. He'd be replacing one of the top DEs in the league. Nothing can be looked at in isolation.

Of course we've already had this discussion.

Probably have it 5 or 6 more times before May. :lol:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I guess I just don't see the most dominant player at his position in this guy. I see a quiter that did not put it all out there for his team. There are thousands of other guys out there that deserved his spot on that team and in that college more than he did in 2013. There are also thousands of other players who were playing hard week in and week out to prove they deserve to be drafted. Some of them got hurt others dominated. The draft is a crap shoot and I have seen enough of this guy to pass and go for someone who has proven he has the heart to get out there and leave it all on the field.

Alan

Legend
That too blackbart.

Edit: Although I have to say my judgment is probably not that good on him because I only saw him play in one game. I'm not an expert on him by any means.

tonyl711

Starter
when his production drops to just 3 sacks, his HC calls him out publicly, and game film shows him taking plays off, I see red flags all over the place. if as some say he was just trying to make sure he stayed healthy for the NFL, I say any player on any team who is not willing to give 100% every game he plays in isn't worth having on your team.

Alan

Legend
He looked merely good in the game I saw and not all the time. Against college opponents. When he wants to though...

tonyl711

Starter
Missouri kept him in check the entire game. cant say ive watched every game he has played, but the games I have seen I haven't seen this once in a decade player people talk about.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It's actually pretty simple to explain why he had the kind of year he had.

He's waiting to get paid and decided not to put in the work to play great football.

Once he gets paid it's going to be very difficult to motivate this guy.

No thanks IMO he's going to be nothing special.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's actually pretty simple to explain why he had the kind of year he had.

He's waiting to get paid and decided not to put in the work to play great football.

Once he gets paid it's going to be very difficult to motivate this guy.

No thanks IMO he's going to be nothing special.
But that doesn't make sense. You'd figure once he gets paid, he'll have no reservations about teeing off and sacrificing his body.
*If* that's what was actually happening anyway. Nobody could know that for sure.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But that doesn't make sense. You'd figure once he gets paid, he'll have no reservations about teeing off and sacrificing his body.
*If* that's what was actually happening anyway. Nobody could know that for sure.

After reading about him taking plays off and not putting in effort you'd want that guy with the number two overall pick?

Where is that ROD dunce cap? We need that right now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
After reading about him taking plays off and not putting in effort you'd want that guy with the number two overall pick?

Where is that ROD dunce cap? We need that right now.
No. I'd only want him if we didn't already have Long and Quinn. He's a (get ready for this)
once in a generation type player. :razz:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No. I'd only want him if we didn't already have Long and Quinn. He's a (get ready for this)
once in a generation type player. :razz:

So was Jamarcus Russell you shit stirring bastage.