The Rams are the best team in the league according to the stats at Football Outsiders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/week-14-dvoa-ratings

Week 14 DVOA Ratings
by Aaron Schatz

This week, the Philadelphia Eagles and Los Angeles Rams played the best and closest of the recent DVOA Bowl games. The Eagles pulled out a 43-35 win (that was really a 37-35 win plus a meaningless touchdown returning the Rams' fumble on an end-game "zillions of laterals" attempt). So the team that wins the DVOA Bowl should be No. 1 in DVOA now, right?

Nope.

DVOA analyzes the play-by-play and cares not for the simple binary of win and loss. And when it analyzes the play-by-play for this game, it says that the way the Rams played is much more indicative of future success than the way the Eagles played. It was one of a number of close games this week where the team that lost came out with the higher DVOA rating.

Here's a look at the DVOA. Remember, both teams get big bumps from the opponent adjustments. But those bumps are similar for both teams, so I'm going to just run DVOA here and not also VOA:

DVOA/OFF/DEF/ST/TOT
PHI 18.4%/19.1%/-15.9%/-16.6%
LARM 62.5%/-9.6%/4.1%/76.3%

What's going on here? One issue is that there were three fumbles in the game and the Eagles recovered all three. But when I mentioned this on Twitter, people rightfully pointed out that one of those fumbles was the meaningless final play. Another was an aborted snap to Nick Foles, and that's a play that only gets a small penalty in DVOA because it's usually recovered by the offense. So the fumble recovery luck is not a big issue here.

No, the bigger issue here is the problem of measuring efficiency vs. total value. DVOA measures the former. The Eagles outgained the Rams, 455 yards to 307 yards. But the main reason behind that is that the Eagles ran 85 plays to just 45 plays for the Rams. That's a discrepancy similar to last year's Super Bowl.

The Rams were much more efficient, gaining 6.8 yards per play compared to just 5.4 yards per play for Philadelphia. The Rams were not as good on third down, but they rarely even got to third down. The Rams were 2-of-7 on third downs. The Eagles were 8-of-20. That's a better percentage, but also, wow, 20 third downs. There was also a red zone discrepancy, as the Rams scored on all four of their red zone trips while the Eagles scored on three of five.

And then there's the issue of special teams. The gap between the teams is not just about the blocked punt that the Rams returned for a touchdown. The Rams got 74 yards on four kickoff returns while the Eagles didn't return a single kickoff. However, the DVOA system does penalize the punting team more for a blocked punt than it credits the return team. That's something that needs to be fixed in the next iteration of the system.

To those questioning: at a certain point, yes, I do need to figure out what to do about these ridiculously lopsided games where one team is more efficient but runs far fewer plays. Is there some predictive value to running more plays that I should be including? It's certainly a project for the future. (And am I asking for trouble by being open and honest about the possible deficiencies of the DVOA system? Of course I am.)

But with the Rams climbing to No. 5 on offense this week, they've achived something remarkable. The Rams are currently ranked in the top five in all three phases of the game. This is remarkably rare.

Going back to 1989, there are only four other teams that ranked in the top five in all three phases any time after Week 14: the 1991 Redskins, 1992 Eagles, 1996 Packers, and 2012 Seahawks.

Expanding that to the top six in all three phases brings in more teams, but still only four teams since the year 2000. Most of them are the rival the Rams will have to face this week. The teams to rank in the top six in all three phases since 2000, any time after Week 14, are:

• 2012 Seahawks after Weeks 14-17
  • 2013 Seahawks after Week 14
  • 2015 Chiefs after Week 14
  • 2015 Seahawks after Weeks 16-17
  • 2017 Rams after Week 14
That's right. Nobody did this so late in the season between the Jaguars in 1999 (after Week 14) and the Seahawks in 2012.

This doesn't mean that the Rams are one of the greatest teams in DVOA history, or that they should be considered the Super Bowl favorites. At 35.5% DVOA, the Rams are tied with the 2012 Broncos and 2007 Cowboys as the No. 19 teams DVOA has ever measured through Week 14.

And much like the 2012 Seahawks, the Rams are probably going to have to go on the road at least once in order to advance to the Super Bowl. If they lose this week, they'll probably have to go on the road three times.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like some made-up stuff to try and make the author sound intelligent.

Just beat SEA this week... save the munbo-jumbo for NASA scientists. :LOL:

fearsomefour

Legend
Stats are neat.
But I know what I see.
A massively improved team that can play with anyone in the league. A team NO ONE will want to face come play off time.
But, a team with some weaknesses and missing pieces.

Psycho_X

Legend
It shows we're a great team that keeps getting in its own way. It's a young team that isn't used to this type of success. Even if we don't make it to the SB this year it is going to be incredible experience for this team past this season. Hopefully we can cash in on it now though. :)

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Stats are good and all, but only one stat counts... currently 9-4.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stats are neat.
But I know what I see.
A massively improved team that can play with anyone in the league. A team NO ONE will want to face come play off time.
But, a team with some weaknesses and missing pieces.
In a nutshell... well said!! (y)

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
It really boils down to the timing of the penalties, turnovers and such. The unsportsmanlike penalty on Tru could not have happened at a worse time than when it did.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take the win over any stats.
I'm sure that the Eagles would agree.
Yeah... I said that in one of the threads about the Johnson penalty.

In the first half? Not that big.

4th quarter with the game on the line? Johnson has to have better situational awareness.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Sounds like some made-up stuff to try and make the author sound intelligent.

Just beat SEA this week... save the munbo-jumbo for NASA scientists. :LOL:
It may be made up, but this was the only projection site I know of that was using stats to project the Rams as a 2017 playoff team before the season started.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It shows we're a great team that keeps getting in its own way. It's a young team that isn't used to this type of success. Even if we don't make it to the SB this year it is going to be incredible experience for this team past this season. Hopefully we can cash in on it now though. :)

Yep, this is a better indication that what we're seeing is real and not inflated through luck or something else that likely isn't sustainable.

Advanced stats can be very important. Advanced stats in the NHL explained why teams like the LA Kings and Blackhawks were seemingly unbeatable for a stretch there, because their advanced stats were off the charts. Same with making the post season, there was a correlation between teams with high corsi numbers (indicating possession) and teams in the playoffs.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Yeah, I like F.O. to feed my confirmation bias or when it helps me push an agenda, but as far as ultimate usefulness, I'm undecided.

One thing here might be that FO seems to be equating efficiency with team quality and basing efficiency on average yardage -- or, "the way the Rams played is much more indicative of future success than the way the Eagles played". The last I checked, the ultimate goal on offense is to score points, not get yards.

One of the most painful losses in Rams' overall history was where the "less efficient" team scored more points.

I dunno, maybe some kind of points per possession metric like in basketball might be more indicative of. . . something. And since special teams contribute to points (including by field position), a ppp metric would reflect the contributions of special teams. Then do a ppp scored versus ppp allowed to get more . . . something.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It shows we're a great team that keeps getting in its own way.

And there it is. This is the lack of experience factor. I'm getting a little weary of "the Rams are one of the youngest teams in the league" mantra that seems to be written about us every season. I hope this team eventually becomes a core group of battle hardened veterans at some point and takes us all the way to the Super Bowl.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It really boils down to the timing of the penalties, turnovers and such. The unsportsmanlike penalty on Tru could not have happened at a worse time than when it did.

i find it unbelievable they threw the flag at that moment. the team makes a stop on 3rd down at a critical part of the game and the official decides to throw the flag then to extend the drive? the DNA rifle. he's not supposed to decide the outcome of the game, the players are. throw the flag on 1st down or after a turnover, not on 3rd down after a team stopped the other team. this is why fans hate refs in all sports.

bluecoconuts

Legend
And there it is. This is the lack of experience factor. I'm getting a little weary of "the Rams are one of the youngest teams in the league" mantra that seems to be written about us every season. I hope this team eventually becomes a core group of battle hardened veterans at some point and takes us all the way to the Super Bowl.

I think we'll get into the playoffs, win a game, maybe two and then exit.

But we'll have been there, and these guys are going to get hungrier, and then watch out NFL.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I'd rather be the best team in the playoffs, but hey not being the worst team is great!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
He had me at yada yada yada.....should be Superbowl favorites