The QB Market Crash

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rarely listen to Mike & Mike on ESPN, but I found this exchange interesting:

Greenie asks Golic, who is playing the best football right now, Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson?
Golic responds, that it is Russell Wilson.

Greenie then asks Golic, if he were building your team who would you want?
Golic responds, that you never see an old running QB, declares his prejudice for pocket passers, and chooses Luck.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that most everyone would take Luck over Wilson, but that never seen an old running QB comment just makes me cringe. The goal is to win the Super Bowl which Russell Wilson's team has done. Who cares if he doesn't last as long?!? The goal was and is the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I think this might be where our disconnect is as I question if even Auburn consistently puts guys close as you suggest. We aren't talking about Georgia Tech's wishbone here.
You are probably right.
The rushing T offenses I have seen are pretty rudimentary and usually are put in because they are pretty simple and can cover for other weaknesses. A good coach with an ability to implement elements and diversify things could have success with anything I would think.
The only coaching I have done was at a very low level, teenagers, but as we all know there is a lot you can do out of a couple of sets.
Its interesting to think about.

Memphis Ram

Legend
cinman@bayareanewsgroup.com

POSTED: 12/10/2014 09:30:03 AM PST# COMMENTS| UPDATED: ABOUT 2 HOURS AGO

Parcells then wondered aloud about the general state of NFL quarterbacking, and underscored how difficult it can be to find a franchise star.

"All these quarterback gurus around the country, these so-called quarterback gurus, if they're all so great, how come we don't have more great quarterbacks playing?" Parcells asked. "The great ones have these attributes you can't see that allows them to go forward and be successful. In other cases they have attributes you can't see that act as deterrents for them.

"I think Kaepernick is right at the crossroads right now. He's showed he can do something."

Averaging 18.8 points per game, the 49ers are tied for 26th in scoring with Washington. They have scored 17 points or fewer in six of their past seven games.

Injuries have forced the 49ers to field their most inconsistent offensive line in Harbaugh's four seasons. Tight end Vernon Davis hasn't had a touchdown catch since the season opener.

A more pass-oriented offense hasn't developed behind a wide-receiver corps that has had starters Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree supported by Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton and Kassim Osgood. Johnson hasn't had a reception in two of the past three games.

Running backs Frank Gore (775 yards) and Carlos Hyde (278 yards) have shown promise as a 1-2 tandem but Kaepernick's running threat has lessened as the quarterback still searches for his first rushing touchdown.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see what you are saying because it works both ways. I've seen pass happy pocket QB having teams that couldn't do anything in the post-season because they couldn't run the football.

But, I'm not suggesting 3 yards and a cloud of dust here. It's not all or nothing. There is still a passing game in Malzahn's offense. That's the reason you have at least two physical WRs that can get downfield. It's just that the majority of it comes via play action. And while it doesn't happen all the time, I've seen play-action work with and without successful running games for the patient teams willing to stick with it.

BTW, a bit off subject here, but in watching these games, for all the big plays Sammy Coates makes, he might have just as many drops. Gazooks.

Yea, Coates is a frustrating guy to watch. Makes circus catches but then inexplicably drops easy ones.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rarely listen to Mike & Mike on ESPN, but I found this exchange interesting:

Greenie asks Golic, who is playing the best football right now, Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson?
Golic responds, that it is Russell Wilson.

Greenie then asks Golic, if he were building your team who would you want?
Golic responds, that you never see an old running QB, declares his prejudice for pocket passers, and chooses Luck.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that most everyone would take Luck over Wilson, but that never seen an old running QB comment just makes me cringe. The goal is to win the Super Bowl which Russell Wilson's team has done. Who cares if he doesn't last as long?!? The goal was and is the Super Bowl.

Well, the goal is to win as many Super Bowls as possible. If you believe one guy can be a great QB into his late 30s...why not take him? He'll likely keep you in contention until then. Plus, it's also possible he doesn't think there's much of a difference at this point between Wilson and Luck so that longevity makes up the differences.

Then again, they're also on ESPN so you just kind of accept the ridiculous things people on ESPN say.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Here We Go Again

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...lYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDMwNF8x

Mel Kiper says Auburn's Nick Marshall could be 4th or 5th round pick as a DB

“You project (running quarterbacks) to wide receiver, some move to running back, or that safety spot,” Kiper said Thursday per Al.com. “For Nick Marshall, that’s a possibility. I could see him in the fourth round, fifth-round pick as a DB.”

In his two seasons at Auburn, Marshall has thrown for 4,291 yards, 32 touchdowns and 13 interceptions while running for 1,848 yards and 23 scores. His completion percentage improved slightly from 59.4 to 60.1 percent from his junior to senior season, but Kiper thinks the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Marshall has a better chance to succeed as a defensive player.

Kiper said the toughness Marshall’s showcased as a runner shows that he could potentially make the transition back to defense.

“You can see the toughness when he’s running with the football, the athleticism, the feet,” Kiper said. “To me, it’s something you’ll look at and say, OK, there’s been some guys who’ve made the move to safety.”

Marshall acknowledged last month that he’d be willing to make the change if it helps him make an NFL roster, though he still prefers to play quarterback.

“It’s just something I have to think about,” Marshall said. “As of right now, I’m open to play anything, but I’m looking to play quarterback.”

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really see how that's here we go again...Nick Marshall isn't a good enough thrower to work within a pro offense...except possibly Philly's(and I have my doubts about that).

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't really see how that's here we go again...Nick Marshall isn't a good enough thrower to work within a pro offense...except possibly Philly's(and I have my doubts about that).

It's here we go again because this is another example of a talented player who probably doesn't fit into the traditional dropback pocket passer model that NFL teams prefer but, can play the position at a high level if used an a creative offense with a creative OC like Malzahn's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's here we go again because this is another example of a talented player who probably doesn't fit into the traditional dropback pocket passer model that NFL teams prefer but, can play the position at a high level if used an a creative offense with a creative OC like Malzahn's.

Could he?

Because we've had option QBs for a long time. This has been happening for a long time. What about Eric Crouch?

He doesn't fit the offenses that NFL teams run...because he's a QB that isn't a good passer.

Could he play the position at a high level in the NFL if used in Malzahn? None of us know. But Malzahn's system isn't used in the NFL and we have no idea if it would be effective.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Could he?

Because we've had option QBs for a long time. This has been happening for a long time. What about Eric Crouch?

He doesn't fit the offenses that NFL teams run...because he's a QB that isn't a good passer.

Could he play the position at a high level in the NFL if used in Malzahn? None of us know. But Malzahn's system isn't used in the NFL and we have no idea if it would be effective.

But, no one is saying that all options QB could do it. My belief is that there are some who can have success in the league with the right offensive coordinator/system.

And there really isn't that much new under the sun. Some of Malzahn's system and/or plays are currently being used in the NFL right now with success.

For goodness sakes, we've all watched Michael Vick have success in this league and he isn't a consistently accurate passer.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But, no one is saying that all options QB could do it. My belief is that there are some who can have success in the league with the right offensive coordinator/system.

And there really isn't that much new under the sun. Some of Malzahn's system and/or plays are currently being used in the NFL right now with success.

For goodness sakes, we've all watched Michael Vick have success in this league and he isn't a consistently accurate passer.

We did. Vick did have success but not consistent success and he was arguably the best runner the modern QB position has ever seen.

It's not some of Malzahn's plays being used, it's the system as a whole. We just don't know if it would sustain success.

Memphis Ram

Legend
We did. Vick did have success but not consistent success and he was arguably the best runner the modern QB position has ever seen.

It's not some of Malzahn's plays being used, it's the system as a whole. We just don't know if it would sustain success.

We did what? Lost me.

Anyway, there are traditional pocket passers who haven't had consistent success in this league. Our very own Rams had one a few years back in Marc Bulger. And he was an accurate passer.

We don't know if any system could sustain success without the proper personnel. And to me given that Malzahn hasn't exactly re-invented the wheel and his system includes actual NFL plays/concepts in it (some run from simply different formations), I'd like it's chances. But, again, with the right personnel.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We did what? Lost me.

Anyway, there are traditional pocket passers who haven't had consistent success in this league. Our very own Rams had one a few years back in Marc Bulger. And he was an accurate passer.

We don't know if any system could sustain success without the proper personnel. And to me given that Malzahn hasn't exactly re-invented the wheel and his system includes actual NFL plays/concepts in it (some run from simply different formations), I'd like it's chances. But, again, with the right personnel.

My concern isn't so much with Malzahn's system as the way you want to implement it.

We did see Vick have success. ;)