The not so obvious

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Does anyone know what Jamon Brown is doing extending his left arm pre snap? It seems to be new - just curious if anyone has any insight into what that is...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Does anyone know what Jamon Brown is doing extending his left arm pre snap? It seems to be new - just curious if anyone has any insight into what that is...
Its a 'silent snap" key. He does that so the center knows to snap the ball. Its a little funny looking, but it works. I'm a little surprised that the D didn't key off on it.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
His calling sure isn't tackling. I was watching some of the whiners game and was envious of them having Bowman.

Ogletree always goes for the clothesline and ball carriers will duck it or run through it. He needs to hit lower and wrap up.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’ve got a couple of observations to add.

First one is Wade Phillips. He actually was implementing some adjustments before the actual halftime. But here’s the biggie. Something clearly happened in that Ram D locker room at halftime. Wade made a speech? A Defensive captain made a speech? I dunno for sure, but here’s what I think happened based upon post game quotes AND what we saw from our D on the field in the second half.

I think that one (or more) players pointed out that the Cowboys were doing in the first half exactly what Wade had said that they would do. And that if the Ram players would simply start executing Wade’s scheme instead of doing so much damned freelancing then the D could prosper. And that seems to be exactly what they did with the second half results that we all enjoyed. Incidentally, Wade’s new D’s have historically taken 3-4 games to settle in when he’s taken over a new team. So, perhaps the Ram’s D is right on schedule?

My second observation has to do with Goff. More specifically, his ball security for a 22 year old QB starting only his 11th game. It’s beyond amazing, if you ask me. McVay really values this trait and has obviously drilled it into Goff’s head. One single Goff turnover could have transformed that win into a loss. Ball security might be the most impressive thing about our young QB, tbh. Goff and McVay are all about winning. Far more than about any damned stats.

I love that.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Its a 'silent snap" key. He does that so the center knows to snap the ball. Its a little funny looking, but it works. I'm a little surprised that the D didn't key off on it.

I thought so, too, but it wasn't an automatic snap every time. Sometimes Sullivan worked in a delay, and sometimes Goff mixed in a hard count. I liked it.. seemed super effective.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There are several things about this team that ROD members have proclaimed yet the media recognize at a snail’s pace. For this reason, I’d like to continue this tradition by pointing out things this season the lazy media will pretend later they knew all along.

Awesome post leo.

I'll just add that overall McVay has them playing as a TEAM. Look at the Steelers, Brown throwing tantrums because he's not padding his stats, guys being all about themselves. Rams aren't like that, these guys seem to really love each other and are genuinely happy with the group success.

Something truly special is happening in LA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wade made a speech? A Defensive captain made a speech? I dunno for sure, but here’s what I think happened based upon post game quotes AND what we saw from our D on the field in the second half.

It was reported that Ogletree made a very impassioned speech. I think the second half of this game was a key milestone for this defense, where they finally as a group came together in this scheme.

Remember they did not play together as a unit in preseason. So it makes sense they are finally starting to click. They need to improve still and have some non-optimum parts, but all defenses do. I think this will be a better unit game to game from this point forward.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His calling sure isn't tackling. I was watching some of the whiners game and was envious of them having Bowman.
I agree, he needs to be told how to tackle. I’m not a coach and am not aware of personality characteristics but the coaches need to make it known he has to do a better job in that regard.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I am hoping that the D made a big jump in the second half.

That said, currently IMO the Rams do not have a single LB that is a good fit for the 3-4. Barwin being the exception, but on a strong downward path of his career.

It's good that Wade's D tries to build in the strengths of the players, so it does not stick out quite as much.
Ogleetree is an excellent player, just don't see the natural fit.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Bitchen is refreshing to see! I used to say "let's jam" which was get the hell out of here back in the 70's.
Heh!!! I absolutely remember that one also. I also recall a time when "bad" actually meant "good."
Very confusing years the '70's and all.....

~ArkyRamsFan~

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
There are several things about this team that ROD members have proclaimed yet the media recognize at a snail’s pace. For this reason, I’d like to continue this tradition by pointing out things this season the lazy media will pretend later they knew all along.

The Rams have the only effective offensive line in the NFC West. Veldheer made Lawrence look like a HOF candidate while Hav and Brown silenced him completely. The Hawks and Cards have two of the WORST OLines in the NFL.

While we were all fawning over Gerald Everett, McVay was regularly giving Tyler Higbee nearly twice as many reps. Lance Kendricks was deemed expendable and McVay has trusted Higbee even when he struggled. Carrier has been responsible for several key blocks this year. The development of our TE position is unsung SO FAR.

McVay holds his cards well in terms of player usage. Different players get featured in different ways each week. Screen pass to Brown? Higbee deep? Kupp vertical down the sideline? Gurley on a seam post? Tavon off tackle? Carrier as a first read for Goff? Good luck future DC’s figuring out what’s coming next. Sean’s got something coming for your @sses.

Guys like Longacre, Fox, Smart, Walker, and Thomas are getting coached up and becoming more integral to the success of the defense while Brockers and Donald snatch the headlines.

Mark Barron has overtaken Ogletree as the leader of this LB corps.

The Rams have the NFL’s best ST units. The blocking scheme on Cooper’s KO return was masterful (I admit wanting him to just down every KO in the end zone but Bones isn’t the timid sort). I won’t mention our kickers because, well...I promised not to be obvious.

Goff’s light will shine so brightly that the QB’s in the east will swear the sun is rising from LA. By year’s end, he will be starting on winning fantasy football teams.

Until the Cowboys get Sean Lee back, the Dallas D will continue to get shredded, not only by us.

Joyner was the only significant Ram that didn’t play this game. The Rams may have the healthiest team in the league. (Fingers crossed)

Finally, this team isn’t beating itself often with boneheaded mistakes, turnovers, and late hits. This is becoming a smart team all the way down to a lack of stupid, me first celebrations.

I invite my brothers to add to this thread those things we see but haven’t yet garnered media attention.

This is all I can find, but basically saying I co sign this post...
giphy.gif