The NFL’s Offensive Explosion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Listening to a recent Snead interview... he really stressed the offensive side of the football team as a place to “feed playmakers”, etc.

We also have a thread up about Emmitt Smith’s rushing record, and how the game has changed.

If it changed, we can thank Mike Martz and the Rams for introducing the arcade element to the NFL.

The story of Warner. The offensive fireworks. The “worst to first” Super bowl Championship. After that January 2000 Superbowl... teams started to mimic/adjust.

If it wasn’t the Rams, it was something. The increase started right around the GSOT era.

The Rams changed the game. :biggrin:

1A1FEBB9-2D1A-4896-A1FB-455A28D9D5C8.jpeg

Memphis Ram

Legend

2002: It is illegal to hit a quarterback helmet-to-helmet any time after a change of possession.

This eliminated a particularly ruthless bit of defensive strategy: “It used to be that the quarterback throws an interception, the defenders they were taught, ‘Hey, go find number 14 and hit him as hard as you can. Free shot on the quarterback. Do it as violently as you can.’ That’s changed.”

Hasselbeck also noted that, in the event of a turnover, coaches today will often urge the QB to focus on self-preservation as opposed to try to turn into Lawrence Taylor: “If Tom Brady throws an interception, the idea of taking on a defensive lineman who’s trying to put a block on him on the return, I think most reasonable minds would say that’s probably not a battle we want him fighting.”

2006: Low hits on the quarterback are prohibited when a rushing defender has an opportunity to avoid such contact.

“Preventing guys from being around your feet is a big one for longevity.”

2007: A block below the waist against an eligible receiver while the quarterback is in the pocket is a 15-yard penalty instead of a 5-yard penalty (an illegal cut block).

How many times have you seen a quarterback looking for an open receiver… but they’re all covered… and he keeps looking… and suddenly he’s obliterated for a sack. The NFL strives to reduce these moments. Hasselbeck noted the NFL has put limits on defenders “in terms of how you can make contact with receivers as they’re trying to get open… With the size and athleticism of receivers and your inability to defend them, that’s been a big part of quarterbacks being able to get out of their hand quickly.”

2009: It is an illegal hit on a defenseless receiver if the initial force of the contact by the defender’s helmet, forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of the receiver. Penalty: 15 yards.

“I do believe that as the NFL has looked at making the game safer, one of the things that they’ve tried to do is acknowledge that there are plays where people in general, whether quarterbacks or receivers, are deemed defenseless.”

2009: Clarified rule regarding low hits on passers: A defender cannot initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the passer in the knee area or below, even if he is being contacted by another player.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2002: It is illegal to hit a quarterback helmet-to-helmet any time after a change of possession.

This eliminated a particularly ruthless bit of defensive strategy: “It used to be that the quarterback throws an interception, the defenders they were taught, ‘Hey, go find number 14 and hit him as hard as you can. Free shot on the quarterback. Do it as violently as you can.’ That’s changed.”

Hasselbeck also noted that, in the event of a turnover, coaches today will often urge the QB to focus on self-preservation as opposed to try to turn into Lawrence Taylor: “If Tom Brady throws an interception, the idea of taking on a defensive lineman who’s trying to put a block on him on the return, I think most reasonable minds would say that’s probably not a battle we want him fighting.”

2006: Low hits on the quarterback are prohibited when a rushing defender has an opportunity to avoid such contact.

“Preventing guys from being around your feet is a big one for longevity.”

2007: A block below the waist against an eligible receiver while the quarterback is in the pocket is a 15-yard penalty instead of a 5-yard penalty (an illegal cut block).

How many times have you seen a quarterback looking for an open receiver… but they’re all covered… and he keeps looking… and suddenly he’s obliterated for a sack. The NFL strives to reduce these moments. Hasselbeck noted the NFL has put limits on defenders “in terms of how you can make contact with receivers as they’re trying to get open… With the size and athleticism of receivers and your inability to defend them, that’s been a big part of quarterbacks being able to get out of their hand quickly.”

2009: It is an illegal hit on a defenseless receiver if the initial force of the contact by the defender’s helmet, forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of the receiver. Penalty: 15 yards.

“I do believe that as the NFL has looked at making the game safer, one of the things that they’ve tried to do is acknowledge that there are plays where people in general, whether quarterbacks or receivers, are deemed defenseless.”

2009: Clarified rule regarding low hits on passers: A defender cannot initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the passer in the knee area or below, even if he is being contacted by another player.

Are you saying IT WASNT the Rams?

tenor.gif

So... which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The Rams offense? or... These rules to help teams set off fireworks like the Rams offense? :biggrin:

TexasRam

Legend
What is this, Opposite Day. That graph thingy was going The wrong way.

looks like 2011 is when it jumped.

I’m thinking rules was the main reason.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is this, Opposite Day. That graph thingy was going The wrong way.

looks like 2011 is when it jumped.

I’m thinking rules was the main reason.

LOL, I thought the same thing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They make the rules so it’s harder to defend. I don’t think it’s any huge offensive change of philosophy it’s just coaches finding ways to exploit the rules. Just what the good ones have always done.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think around 2009 is when Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees were all slinging it at their peaks.