The Mud Bowl 1977 Vikings at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
...if you can stomach it. Observations about the broadcast:
  • Freak Haden. He had no arm, and no killer instinct.
  • Look at all the legends on the field. Both sides
  • Commercials included. For the young guys- look at how cheap a new car was. sigh
  • Charlie Young the TE was one of the clean uniforms at the end of the game...kind of illustrated how we misused his talent.
  • Watch post-game comments. Very interesting:
  1. Speculation by always-wrong Jimmie the Greek that Chuck Knox was going to be fired, and George Allen would be hired.
  2. Post game complaining by Alan Page and Jim Marshall that the Rams held them all day, and the refs wouldn't call it.
Did I mention Haden sucked and had no killer instinct?

View: https://youtu.be/koU-k3B1t1c

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have always LOVED "Mudder's" Real Football Great memories, when we Win!!(y):D
09e349f012d32ae9493ce71ee0e4a4cb.jpg
130604111423-deacon-jones-merlin-olsen-079009811-single-image-cut.jpg
deacon_jones_1969_09_13.jpg
Merlin%20Olsen3.jpg
merlin_olsen_1970_11_08.jpg
Olsen vs Viks.jpg
VikingsRams60s.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Watching it at 11 years of age back in 1977 was enough. The most difficult part of that loss was the parting of the ways with Chuck Knox who shuffled off to Buffalo and Carroll Rosenbloom was very close to hiring Stanford Head Coach Bill Walsh, but decided to go with George Allen instead in 1978 only to fire Allen after two preseason games and replacing him with Ray Malavasi...Too bad Rosenbloom did not follow his gut and hired Bill Walsh because things would have been so different.

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watching it at 11 years of age back in 1977 was enough. The most difficult part of that loss was the parting of the ways with Chuck Knox who shuffled off to Buffalo and Carroll Rosenbloom was very close to hiring StGeanford Head Coach Bill Walsh, but decided to go with George Allen instead in 1978 only to fire Allen after two preseason games and replacing him with Ray Malavasi...Too bad Rosenbloom did not follow his gut and hired Bill Walsh because things would have been so different.
I agree Den. I saw this game and fast forwarded toward the end to see how we blew it. I guess I was just a glutton for punishment this morning.

Thanks for the reminder about the Allen debacle.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have the 1989 NFC Championship game to watch... :popcorn:

:baghead:

:burp:Gee, I hope the Rams win this one...

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
...By the way Den, I was 12 in '77. Sure seem to be a lot of us 45-55 types on this board. (y)
Might have something to do with the fact that the Rams were badass in the late seventies when a lot of us starting really paying attention.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
11-12-66....think I was 11 too(more likely ten).....and if I remember it....we had a pretty good record for a couple of years...got the home playoff game, and lost to Dallas & Minnesota...I'm sure we would have won if not for a freakish rain storm...

and I don't wanna see one of the most painful memories....in Rams history....in 77 we had an excellent team...and Haden had a nice deep ball...but had small hands or something...he couldn't throw in the rain for shit.

Ram Pat

Rookie
I thought that was gonna be our year ....again, I was 12 also. We beat Minn on monday nite in Oct. 35-3 that year. I remember looking so foward to having home playoff game... then it rained at christmas.... and kept raining..WTF

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
...By the way Den, I was 12 in '77. Sure seem to be a lot of us 45-55 types on this board. (y)
Yep we are a strong Demographic that have endured our share of tough losses. I wont watch it....not yet. I was 14.
Anyone notice the Blue and Gold Rain jackets to go with the Blue and White uni's

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Might have something to do with the fact that the Rams were badass in the late seventies when a lot of us starting really paying attention.

True, but could've rooted for the Steelers too and saved my stomach from various ulcers.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"I was in my Mid 30's, Kid's, and 'Lovin' every minute of it! Lots of GREAT Post Game Parties in those Days!!":D:mrburnsevil:

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Somethings, you just can't unsee.... like Jimmy the Greek. No words.

Shoman01

Rookie
Watching it at 11 years of age back in 1977 was enough. The most difficult part of that loss was the parting of the ways with Chuck Knox who shuffled off to Buffalo and Carroll Rosenbloom was very close to hiring Stanford Head Coach Bill Walsh, but decided to go with George Allen instead in 1978 only to fire Allen after two preseason games and replacing him with Ray Malavasi...Too bad Rosenbloom did not follow his gut and hired Bill Walsh because things would have been so different.

I didn't know that, I met Walsh at a function in March 1999. Talked to him about about the Monday night game '89 where the Rams gave up the 2 long scores to lose. ( still pisses me off)
He talked about how Vermiel was a friend of his. I told him to please tell Vermiel to get rid of Banks, and find another quarterback. He said he was already doing that. He was a nice guy.
Too bad we didn't have him as a coach.