The Most Boring Play in All of Sports Has Been Changed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Because it's not a real play. They are worried about the extra point being a gimme play? Has a QB ever missed hitting the turf? Make him throw an out toward a receiver or at least in the direction of any other eligible receiver. Talk about adding excitement. Let a CB jump an out route to seal the game. Now THAT is a football move.
That's a good point actually. I never thought of it that way. I do kinda think it's stupid that you can be out of timeouts and basically have a free one just by dropping the ball in front of you.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's a good point actually. I never thought of it that way. I do kinda think it's stupid that you can be out of timeouts and basically have a free one just by dropping the ball in front of you.
Exactly. And in most cases, they get away with motion on the line too. Those guys are wobbling and flinching all over the place while trying to get set. It's a BS "play".

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that would be crazy, would be you have to attempt the point after (or two pt try) from the yard line you scored a TD from...or from the 50 yard line at the longest. You would still have some teams running out of bounds at the 1 yard line instead of converting an 80 yard TD.

That would add intrigue.

I'm glad they didn't make TDs worth 7 points because it would impact NFL records for scoring.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 with remembrances:
Filmed just up the road from me BTW.
Probably before your time. Your Grandfather probably told you about that. :LOL:
Is there really a town called Elk Snout?
"Dean Proffitt: [in a backwoods accent] Well up here in Elk Snout ma'am see we don't know 'bout them closets, nor bathrooms neither. Shit woman, you're lucky I am house broke." :ROFLMAO:

In my top 5 movies of all time.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Exactly. And in most cases, they get away with motion on the line too. Those guys are wobbling and flinching all over the place while trying to get set. It's a BS "play".
It's a loss of a down at least.

I have a strong disdain for intentional grounding, or it's lack of enforcement.

Alan

Legend
Legatron4 with his take on spiking the ball:
That's an interesting take on that rule change but might you and @RamFan503 be forgetting what the status quo was before that rule change? All they did was throw it out of bounds in the vicinity of a WR split out close to a side line. Not much difference there. I believe that rule came in to play to help prevent totally unnecessary injuries. Especially to the QB and WR.

I like it myself. That play didn't really change anything except to give the O a couple more seconds. Anything that cuts down on injuries (within reason) I'm in favor of.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Probably before your time. Your Grandfather probably told you about that. :LOL:
Is there really a town called Elk Snout?
"Dean Proffitt: [in a backwoods accent] Well up here in Elk Snout ma'am see we don't know 'bout them closets, nor bathrooms neither. crap woman, you're lucky I am house broke." :ROFLMAO:

In my top 5 movies of all time.
No Elk Snout but the festival in the movie is actually a real thing and pretty damn similar. It is a crab derby held in Nehalem, OR. Been to it and it is a real piece of Americana - a real hoot. That is one of our all time favorites too.

And everyone knows that caviar shouldn't be some gelatinous muck. It should be round and hard and of adequate size and burst in your mouth at precisely the right moment.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It should be round and hard and of adequate size and burst in your mouth at precisely the right moment.
officex-large.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying in your first paragraph because it actually does the opposite of forcing teams to rely on their kicker. I'm missing something there. As for your question in that paragraph, what I want is for them to stop trying to fix things that aren't broken. I don't agree with this or any other rule change when it comes to the PAT.

There are several strategies and types of strategies to be considered here and I think you're focusing on only one of them. Deciding whether to go for 1 point or 2 points is the strategy I'm referring to. You're talking about tactical strategies (what play to call when going for 2 points) after you've already made the strategic decision I'm talking about. I like them both to be in the mix.

There is no strategy in this either way. Kickers should not be deciding wins and losses unless it's a field goal. What would you rather rely on, given the lesser of two evils: a thirty-seven-yard PAT attempt (which they said would increase if the conversion rates for field goals stays the same) or a two-point conversion at the five yard line? I'd love the rules to stay where they are, but they're not. Not when thirty owners voted for the proposition. What do you think coaches are going to do when they go for PATs and start missing them all? They're trying to phase it out no matter what.

And I mean it when I said that it was going backwards. Early on, kicks were worth six points. A touchdown was worth two. The forward pass hadn't even been invented yet. Things change. Do you want a kicker to have to decide a game on a long PAT for one measly point? I don't. If they hate it so damned much, just get rid of it and force them to do TPCs all the time. Don't give the false representation of choice when there really isn't one.

It's really telling that the only people who like this rule (so far) are kickers.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd rather they just quit trying to make the game cuter for the low attention span audience. Having an accurate kicker comes in just fine on every kick but the extra point. I'd personally rather see them get rid of the LOS spike. They're so worried about the integrity of the game and meaningful plays, get rid of THAT BS.
Damn right. I've been harping on this for years. It's LITERALLY intentional grounding.
Couldn't possibly agree more..Maybe the dumbest rules change in the history of the game...
I dunno. I kind of like the ability to stop the clock without burning a T.O.
Especially when it benefits the Rams in a last minute drive.

Alan

Legend
Memento not setting the table correctly in his scenario:
There is no strategy in this either way. Kickers should not be deciding wins and losses unless it's a field goal. What would you rather rely on, given the lesser of two evils: a thirty-seven-yard PAT attempt (which they said would increase if the conversion rates for field goals stays the same) or a two-point conversion at the five yard line?
So here's where the more complicated strategy comes in. After scoring that TD, the score is 37 - 30 with a minute and 36 seconds left in the game. Do you go for the two point conversion knowing that the chances of success are less than (barely) 50% or do you assure yourself of at least a tie by kicking the extra point which is almost always successful?

If you fail on the two point conversion attempt they can score a TD and with a two point conversion snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Success means victory is virtually assured.

How does the fact that kicking that extra point, the success of which is now no longer a given, effect your strategy? Suffer a 5 yard penalty (for whatever reason ) and the decision is even harder. Getting that penalty when you're at the 2 yard line changes nothing if you're only going for 1 point.

The strategy under yesterday's rules is much less complicated and for me, much less interesting. But I would still rather they just left it alone.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Everyone against this rule clearly hasn't seen the movie BASEketball.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I was at a Dodger game where the pitcher got a wee bit too close to the plate and Yeager (I think) took the pitch off the opposite wall. Wasn't boring at all. They need to leave the games alone and quit screwing with tradition.

Funny - you don't look like an old guy.

(Oh wait...I'm not talking to you since you changed your avatar).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So here's where the more complicated strategy comes in. After scoring that TD, the score is 37 - 30 with a minute and 36 seconds left in the game. Do you go for the two point conversion knowing that the chances of success are less than (barely) 50% or do you assure yourself of at least a tie by kicking the extra point which is almost always successful?

If you fail on the two point conversion attempt they can score a TD and with a two point conversion snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Success means victory is virtually assured.

How does the fact that kicking that extra point, the success of which is now no longer a given, effect your strategy? Suffer a 5 yard penalty (for whatever reason ) and the decision is even harder. Getting that penalty when you're at the 2 yard line changes nothing if you're only going for 1 point.

The strategy under yesterday's rules is much less complicated and for me, much less interesting. But I would still rather they just left it alone.

The NFL doesn't want the PAT to be almost always successful. They said that if the conversion rate is too high this year, they'll move it back another ten yards. They are phasing out the PAT in favor of the TPC. And a TPC at the two yard line is stupid as well. Move it back to the five or ten. Then you'll see some excitement. That's what they want, right? A more exciting game?

Listen, I hate this rule just as much as you do. But that's what they're trying to do. Might as well make the most out of it, no matter how big of horseshit it is.