The meteoric rise of Rams DL Sebastian Joseph Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
The meteoric rise of Rams DL Sebastian Joseph Day

The LA Rams have enjoyed the quiet eruption of defensive lineman Sebastian Joseph Day on the defensive line of scrimmage. But it’s been a subtle eruption, almost like a flower blossoming in early spring. A slowly developing emergence, steadfast in its daily reach towards the light each day. Constant swelling of ability and potential, so determined that it achieves new growth each day. And there it is, in plain sight.

Sometimes, we become so trained to see stark changes and sharp turns in the road that a steady rate of linear growth is almost invisible to the eye. Even I am guilty of missing the obvious because it’s right there developing in front of me in full display. I don’t think I’m the only one guilty of that either.

Looking for talented players to erupt is akin to training the eye to catch a distant sudden flash of brilliance on the team. A sudden burst of production from a young player is like a burst of light from a fourth of July fireworks display. And yet, SJD is right there, on the starting line, and seizing the opportunity to play in an ever dominating fashion to little to no fanfare.

I won’t be lulled into tranquility. SJD is a huge force on this LA Rams defense, and it’s time we acknowledged that. After all, he has settled in at the nose tackle position for the team, arguably one of the most difficult and physically demanding positions on defense.

In a 3-4, the nose tackle is the epicenter of the defense. Everything that the offense does is within the radius of the nose tackle. So it takes a particular dedicated, strong, and sharp player to excel in the role. And wouldn’t you know it, the 195th player chosen in the 2018 NFL Draft from the University of Rutgers exhibits all of that and more.

From practice squad to NFL star

The 6-foot-4 310-pound nose tackle spent his first year on the team’s practice squad. But with the departure of free-agent DL Ndamukong Suh, SJD was the player who slid into the rotation alongside Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald. He did well, well enough to earn a larger role in 2020.

After all, he needed just 481 defensive snaps in 2019 to put up 44 tackles, five tackles for losses, five quarterback hits, and two quarterback sacks. He earned a 2019 grade of 63.0 from Pro Football Focus, a sign of promising young talent.

The LA Rams added veteran NT A’Shawn Robinson in 2020, but due to health reasons, he was unable to take snaps until the second half of the season. But ‘Sea Bass’ (he does not like that nickname given him by veteran teammate Michael Brockers) was prepared. He bulked up, focused on playing the nose tackle position, and surprised many.

With 15 percent fewer snaps, SJD rolled up 55 tackles, one tackle for loss, four quarterback hits, and one quarterback sack. His Pro Football Focus skyrocketed in 2020 to a grade of 80.6. In just three years from the sixth-round of the 2108 NFL Draft, Sebastian Joseph Day is a rising NFL star.

Tackler, food critic, social leader, and 2021 romantic

If you only see football players as, well, football players, you are missing the best parts of life and of the NFL. In 2020, Sebastian Joseph Day was a leader in all respects. Amidst the pandemic crisis that forced self-quarantine and a tremendous burden upon health care workers, Joseph Day donated from his own pockets to feed front-line, medical workers.

When social injustice gripped the nation in 2020, once more it was Sebastian Joseph Day who led by example. He engaged in meaningful dialogues, conversations, and debates to represent all sides fully, and to reach lasting holistic solutions.

It was not all heavy topics in 2020, mind you. Late in 2020, word got out that SJD was converting his passion for food, culture, and history into a YouTube channel called Dine-N-Bash. You need to check it out because he covers a wide swath of culinary establishments and eateries at a time when finding new dining spots is awfully tough to do. SJD does the heavy lifting for you.

And finally, there was the announcement of the engagement of Sebastian Joseph Day and Rachel Lucosky.

AYE!! IM MARRYING MY BEST FRIEND! AIN’T NO BETTER FEELING DAWG! IM TELLING YA!

— Sebastian Joseph-Day (@SJD_51) February 10, 2021

Too much in one year? Doubtful. A flourishing football career, a new business venture, and a blossoming romance. Everything is coming up roses for Sebastian Joseph Day in 2021. It’s been a subtle eruption, almost like a flower blossoming in early spring. A slowly developing emergence, steadfast in its daily reach towards the light each day. Constant swelling of ability and potential, so determined that it achieves new growth each day. And there it is, in plain sight.

Congratulations Sebastian and Rachel. Here’s hoping 2021 is your best year yet. Perhaps, with a little luck and perseverance, Sea Bass can add one more ring to the jewelry collection this year. An engagement ring, a wedding ring, and a Super Bowl Championship ring.

oldnotdead

Legend
Hmmm he still can't shed a block. His stats have more to do with AD and Floyd's influence on the DL than his own. On run plays he is still blown off the LOS and it doesn't take a double team to do it. Most of his run stops are off the LOS but unfortunately on the wrong side. Simply watching is play and understanding what your seeing is all the confirmation one would need.

The author simply needs to do his research. SJD had 1 TFL and 1 sack in 2020. If his "rise" was so impactful why were they much better in 2019? One reason is his snap count was down significantly in 2020 from 2019 to only 40%. If he's so good why did he play less? Sounds like a guy on his way out not on the rise. With Robinson and Gaines out playing him that isn't a good thing for a guy going into a contract year.

Greg Gaines played better on half the snaps and his stats refelect it. So SJD is on the rise when the team gave more snaps to Robinson and Gaines in 2020?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love these “type” of players;

“From practice squad to NFL”

Guys like Day are what shape the best NFL rosters. You need to find them and the Rams have become good miners.

Day seems to be a sideline leader too. Or at least, it seems I see a lot of shots of him jawing and into things on the sideline.

Easy guy to root for.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Guys like Day are what shape the best NFL rosters. You need to find them and the Rams have become good miners.

Day seems to be a sideline leader too. Or at least, it seems I see a lot of shots of him jawing and into things on the sideline.

Easy guy to root for.
SJD homer

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Easy guy to root for.

He is better than Three man Myers guy on The J.E.T.S. even know he did help beat The Rams at SOFI before getting hurt.

They thing that stood out to me the MOST besides of course his #69 Jersey.
It is the way The NFL allowed him to wear his #69 Jersey.The woman must have loved it.It brought the OKLAHOMA NCAA Day’s Billy Simms with the cut - OFFS with the belly showing.He showed how Hard he has Worked to get Stronger & Faster.
His tackle numbers for a DT were impressive & training with AD#99 could be a fill of the Jersey away.Say Ole Route 66 the long way to finish a career.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
He is better than Three man Myers guy on The J.E.T.S. even know he did help beat The Rams at SOFI before getting hurt.

It is the way The NFL allowed him to wear his #69 Jersey.The woman must have loved it.It brought the OKLAHOMA NCAA Day’s Billy Simms with the cut - OFFS with the belly showing.He showed how Hard he has Worked to get Stronger & Faster.
His tackle numbers for a DT were impressive & training with AD#99 could be a fill of the Jersey away.Say Ole Route 66 the long way to finish a career.

tenor (9).gif

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Sebastian Joseph-Day was not on the Practice Squad in his rookie season in 2018. He was on the 53 but was a game-day inactive.

The Rams apparently knew they had something, and did not want to expose him. He was effectively red-shirted as a rookie.

I am not a big Bret Suter guy. He needs to generate a lot of material, some of his stuff either lacks substance or is just off.

I am a big Joseph-Day guy. Thought he was OK in 2019 as first time starter. Thought he was terrific this year. Strongly disagree with the poster who thinks he can’t shed blocks or get off the line.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Sebastian Joseph-Day was not on the Practice Squad in his rookie season in 2018. He was on the 53 but was a game-day inactive.

The Rams apparently knew they had something, and did not want to expose him. He was effectively red-shirted as a rookie.

I am not a big Bret Suter guy. He needs to generate a lot of material, some of his stuff either lacks substance or is just off.

I am a big Joseph-Day guy. Thought he was OK in 2019 as first time starter. Thought he was terrific this year. Strongly disagree with the poster who thinks he can’t shed blocks or get off the line.
He's a real solid NT for us. Holds up and helps in the run game, and occasionally makes the splash play.

You could do better than SJD, but you could do A LOT worse.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was outstanding this year. He was the main reason we had above average run defense for what feels like the first time in 20 years.

Home run pick for Snead

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He's a real solid NT for us. Holds up and helps in the run game, and occasionally makes the splash play.

You could do better than SJD, but you could do A LOT worse.
The improvement from 2019 to 2020 was so extreme, in my opinion, Joseph-Day would be one of the last players on the Team I would look to up-grade from.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
The improvement from 2019 to 2020 was so extreme, in my opinion, Joseph-Day would be one of the last players on the Team I would look to up-grade from.
It really was quite the jump. As always, having AD next to you helps, but SJD was excellent vs run and was a big reason why our Run D improved. We all know it wasn't due to ILB play.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
SJD is an example of the type of talent that can be found later in the draft. The catch is they need seasoning time learning the pro game and getting their body in NFL shape as well.
You see it with Gaines as well, he took a nice step forward in his second year. He should be primed for a nice jump going into year 3. They have a nice rotation of run stuffers going right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's a solid NT. Gets a good share of stalemates, wins sometimes, gets blown off the ball sometimes too. Gaines and him are a nice rotation. Gaines is probably better at digging in vs doubles but he's not as good at keeping his feet as SJD when he's gotta move like vs a zone rush game.

Will say again it would be nice to upgrade at 5T (this DL group could use some fresh legs) but tbh I don't think they can fit that in with the other needs they have. They may end up considering a guy like Rashad Weaver if they're concerned there but I have to think we'd also see a move before the draft if that was the case.

Probably not a good year to address DL in the draft anyway. But I have no real preconceptions for our round 2 pick. Whoever is the best guy on the board just take that player. Bringing in impact guys is the key for us with this approach they are taking so that round 2 pick it's kind of important they find a guy on par with those first rounders if possible.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Easy guy to root for.
Did I mention he went to Rutgers ? :ROFLMAO:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Memo to Snead: Draft a massive (Low-man wins in football) 6'0 350 pounds nose tackle that will clog up the middle and hold the point of attack

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

This is the best stream-of-conscious post I've read since I stopped dropping acid.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Memo to Snead: Draft a massive (Low-man wins in football) 6'0 350 pounds nose tackle that will clog up the middle and hold the point of attack
You make it sound so easy.

But I agree that would be nice if one's there when we draft.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Joseph-Day and Gaines filled the interior-DL role very well last year. I would stick.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I am not a big Bret Suter guy.
According to Bret, he is never wrong.
Told him the Rams were gonna draft a kicker last year.
and he told me the Rams wouldn't waste a pick on a kicker.
Yet somehow after the rams drafted a kicker, he was still right
and I was wrong. lmao.

So never question his author- i -tah
1613410877381.png