The little things that make Sammy Watkins a big deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
The Little Things That Make Sammy Watkins A Big Deal
By Matt Waldman2 months ago ( 16 )

Watkins has the upside to lap the field of some fine receiver prospects when it comes to NFL potential. Photo by PDA.Photo.
The great strength of Sammy Watkins’ game is in the finer details.
If Sammy Watkins didn’t possess excellent hands and speed, he wouldn’t be a top prospect at his position. However, it’s the little things that make Watkins a special prospect.
Weeks ago, I profiled Allen Robinson’s penchant for leaving his feet to catch targets thrown at a height where he could have maintained his feet during the act of the reception. Consistent application of this detail will earn Robinson greater opportunities for yards after the catch.
Robinson is already a fine ball carrier, but even at 6’3″, 210-215 pounds, he’s better at avoiding defenders than he is running through tackles. This is based on watching Robinson at Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Central Florida, and Nebraska).
Attention to detail is an essential reason why Watkins is ahead of the rest of his draft classmates. The Clemson receiver is like a jazz musician playing in a pop band – few appreciate every nuance because the knowledge often requires hours of study or an enormous intuitive feel for the game to get beyond the environment of the performance to see everything that makes him special.
I’m sharing two plays that provide glimpses into what makes him special, but some miss because they either haven’t seen enough snaps of Watkins or they are too chained to the Clemson scheme to see the skills that transcend it.
The first is a classic case of great process, bad result. I love sharing these plays, because they underscore my belief that behavior is more reliable than the outcome.
The second is a case of great process, great result, and an uncommon play for the Clemson offense. The process also reveals skills that translate to other aspects of Watkins’ game.
Great Process, Bad Result
The play is a 12-personnel, 1×1 receiver set with Watkins as the receiver on the left inside the numbers of the flat. He’s positioned two yards behind the line of scrimmage and the cornerback has outside shade and five yards of depth.
By the way, the Ohio State corner does a fantastic job on this play because he has Watkins one-on-one with no safety help. Here’s the formation pre-snap.

The single safety is at the opposite flat, which is a huge key that Watkins is facing single coverage. Tajh Boyd recognizes this coverage and the opportunity to deliver a quick throw for Watkins to win one-on-one.
However, Boyd’s throw lacks the precision for the situation. Watkins has turned to the quarterback and squared his pads to provide a good target, but Boyd leads the receiver too far into the teeth of the oncoming defender.

Watkins doesn’t react the way I see from countless receivers that I watch in these situations where the ball is thrown above chest-level. The receiver extends his arms away from his body and attacks the ball, but he does not leave his feet.
Watkins also frames his body so his pads and hips are down field and the ball ahead of him. Screen after screen in this game, this receiver gets into this position before catching the ball.
I never see this kind of attention to detail on a screen or throw-out that is one of the simplest routes to execute for a receiver. Moreover, Watkins’ approach is extraordinarily consistent.

Despite the impending contact, Watkins stays true to his process. He understands it gives him the best chance to win the match-up and at worst, prevent a bad outcome.
Watkins’ technique places the receiver in position to make the catch, secure the ball to his sideline arm, and extend his free arm to attack the defender with good pad level and leverage despite the defender’s advantage.

There’s no way Watkins has a chance to contest this hit if not for his pre-catch attention to detail. As the contact collapses Watkins stiff arm, the receiver’s arm and pad level is like a shock absorber.
Watkins has enough balance and leverage to turn sideways through the contact. With the ball high and tight to the outside arm, the receiver withstands the corner’s attempt to rip the ball loose.

All of this sound technique is the reason Watkins is able to absorb the contact, push back and force the defender to the ground. If Watkins doesn’t collide knees with the defender, I believe he runs through the contact up the left flat.
The corner does everything right on this play to win the match-up, but Watkins’ fundamentals make it a win by the slimmest of margins. Don’t be surprised if you see Watkins win some of these plays in the NFL – and win big.
Great Process, Great Result
Watkins’ critics say that the receiver only runs screen plays and he’ll need the right scheme to thrive in the NFL the way he thrives in college football. This statement implies that all he can do well is run screen plays or zone routes.
Here’s a single coverage route – one of the prettiest examples of route running I see in college football.

The initial release is patient and a straight line into the body of the defender with good pacing that remains constant throughout the route. One of the things that made Jerry Rice a great route runner was not only the fact that every route looked the same in terms of maintaining a straight line with every release, but also a consistent pace.
Varying speed can be a useful tool, but it’s an attempt to lull an opponent into a lapse of focus. Maintaining a constant speed puts the opponent in a constant state of discomfort.
This straight stem is 12-yards long and the top of the stem features a dip inside with the head turned and then a fantastic head fake outside-inside leading to a second jab-step inside and use of the shoulders that forces the corner to turn his hips. This sequence of moves are all performed without any variance in pace – difficult to do.
By the time Watkins breaks to the corner, he has left the corner in the dust. All of these qualities are performed with the same efficiency I see as a ball carrier – patience, pacing, and layers of moves.
It’s not an indicator of good route running with many receivers, but it’s behavior consistent with Watkins across all aspects of his game.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjab360

Legend
Did I really just see a screen pass where Watkins got tackled for a loss used as proof that he's an elite prospect? :LOL:

tbux

Rookie
great breakdown- shows how dedicated the kid is and how well he takes to coaching- blend that with his drive and work ethic- cant miss.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here’s a single coverage route – one of the prettiest examples of route running I see in college football.

Major overstatement. I've seen the route here's referring to. It's an impressive double move but this is quite a bit of an exaggeration.

Here's the route for those curious:
Sammy5.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the guy that was in my opinion by far the best route runner in college football. Jared Abbrederis of Wisconsin. And trust me, you see him run routes like these and fake CBs out of their shoes seemingly every week.
RD6FZPhnBk0rfDaasf1idoUeoYZw_f19qazy_VYBqF0MDBPRnCiMNKIIMcTp3PHZO5rOMLlmY5YwhZuCCIiTyup1lNY-fiYupsl_bZFmx_9gwo2SVe6i0ttSmw

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Abbrederis looks a lot like amendola running that route (and not because hes white)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is the guy that was in my opinion by far the best route runner in college football. Jared Abbrederis of Wisconsin. And trust me, you see him run routes like these and fake CBs out of their shoes seemingly every week.
RD6FZPhnBk0rfDaasf1idoUeoYZw_f19qazy_VYBqF0MDBPRnCiMNKIIMcTp3PHZO5rOMLlmY5YwhZuCCIiTyup1lNY-fiYupsl_bZFmx_9gwo2SVe6i0ttSmw

He is my favourite "late WR"... Like 3rd round.

Dude is a salesman on his routes!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Abbrederis looks a lot like amendola running that route (and not because hes white)

Guy is magnificent as a route runner. If I have time this weekend, I'll try to cut together some videos from last year that show some of the routes he ran.

And unlike Amendola, Abbrederis is 6'1" and ran a 4.44 unofficial 40 time at the combine. I've heard there are concerns about his concussion history but man, the guy is impressive on the field. Needs to add strength and bulk to get off the jam in the pros but his route running ability is already unbelievable.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Rather grab Cooper next year. Watkins is a stud, but I just like Cooper better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is my favourite "late WR"... Like 3rd round.

Dude is a salesman on his routes!

If his concussion history isn't too bad, Abbrederis or Jordan Matthews would be the two WRs that I'd really want to draft. IMO, they'll be excellent value and can contribute as rookies. Especially Abbrederis. Sam would love that guy.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Me too, Tron, me too!

Glad to have someone in my court on this!! Cant wait to see how he does this year fully healthy and with a QB who won't under throw him half the time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Guy is magnificent as a route runner. If I have time this weekend, I'll try to cut together some videos from last year that show some of the routes he ran.

And unlike Amendola, Abbrederis is 6'1" and ran a 4.44 unofficial 40 time at the combine. I've heard there are concerns about his concussion history but man, the guy is impressive on the field. Needs to add strength and bulk to get off the jam in the pros but his route running ability is already unbelievable.

Yep. Probably pushes down a little.

Indianapolis — Wide receiver Jared Abbrederis of Wisconsin has a history of head injuries that could affect how high he is selected in the National Football League draft.

Executives in personnel for four NFL teams expressed concern in the last week about what they described as Abbrederis' history of concussions.

It was the understanding of two scouts that Abbrederis suffered "three or four" concussions during his four-year career for the Badgers.

"I've heard it's three or four," a personnel director for an NFL team said. "I've got to find out the depth of it. I love him, but it makes me nervous."

Abbrederis insisted he has had only one concussion: September 2012 against Oregon State.

"And it wasn't even a bad one," said Abbrederis, who sat out the next game.

However, Abbrederis also suffered head injuries against Penn State in November 2012 and against Northwestern last October.

Each NFL team will assign a medical-risk grade on Abbrederis. It's possible some clubs, given the culture of concussion awareness, could lower his overall grade or even remove him from their draft boards.

"The only problem with Abbrederis is he's had a number of concussions," an AFC personnel director said. "I think he had three to four concussions during his career. That could be an issue."

Abbrederis' ability to separate himself from the pack in an extraordinary pool of wide receivers would be his return ability. He owns UW's record for kickoff-return average (25.8 yards, 31 returns) and ranks fifth in punt-return average (10.7, 55 returns).

"But I don't know if the kick returning would suit him concussion-wise," another AFC personnel man said. "I worry a little bit about him holding up physically. He's had a bunch of things."

Abbrederis also had foot and rib injuries in his career.

"That (concussions) is a concern," an NFC scouting director said. "And the way he plays and the way he is, that's not surprising. He'll probably always be banged up, and you'll be worried about him."

Physicians from all 32 teams had the chance to examine Abbrederis earlier in the week.

"I don't think it's that big of a deal," said Abbrederis. "Teams will see that. I'm not worried about it."

Last spring, Abbrederis (6 feet 1 inch) weighed 185 pounds, 10 fewer than what he weighed at the combine. If he can maintain the 195 pounds or perhaps even reach 200 without losing speed, it could help him in the more physical pro game and perhaps allay the concerns some teams have about his durability.

On Sunday, Abbrederis will run two 40-yard dashes that also will have a major bearing on his draft status.

His goal is anything in the 4.4s. One scout said 4.56 would be a good time for him.

"I think I'm fast," he said. "I'm excited for that, because that's definitely been underrated, I guess you could say."

By now, Abbrederis' story is familiar. He went from being a walk-on quarterback from Wautoma in central Wisconsin to all-Big Ten first-team honors in 2012 and 2013.

He tied Brandon Williams' school reception record (202) while finishing second in receiving yards (3,140) and touchdowns (23).

"I mean, you try not to like him, but all the kid does is make plays," an NFC scout said. "Everybody thinks he's just a slow walk-on guy. But he just knows how to play football, and he does it well. Fourth round."

An AFC scout, who views Abbrederis as a third- or fourth-round pick despite his medical history, cites his 10-catch, 207-yard explosion Sept. 28 at Ohio State.

"You watch him against (cornerback) Bradley Roby, who's a first-round-type pick," said the personnel director. "He wore him out. Big-time game for him. He really kept Wisconsin in the game.

"He should be able to come in and play, and play early. He's not an NFL starter. He's a slot player or a No. 3 receiver, maybe a No. 4 on a very good team. He's going to be active on game days just because he's polished."

Abbrederis, who scored 32 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, grew up watching Donald Driver achieve stardom after being drafted in the seventh round by Green Bay 15 years ago.

"I loved the way he played the game," said Abbrederis. "The fearlessness going over the middle and kind of his underdog story as well.

"I obviously have the underdog mentality. When I set a goal, I do everything in my power to achieve that.

"That just kind of carried me on through my career as a walk-on and then trying to achieve my goals here in the NFL."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...raft-b99211464z1-246732461.html#ixzz2xlXQY9Xa
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its the full head fake to go along with everything else that sells that one. He does a complete 180...lol.
Alot of WR's do a half-assed job selling that head move.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its the full head fake to go along with everything else that sells that one. He does a complete 180...lol.
Alot of WR's do a half-assed job selling that head move.

Yep. Although most WRs just don't have the loose hips and acceleration to be able to gear down like he did and then get back up to speed so quickly. He's very explosive in and out of his breaks.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I wouldn't care too much if we passed on Sammy, for one I think Evans is a better fit at what we need, big, tall guy who can get up and fight for balls somebody who can make a difference and forces a team to focus on him ala VJax. That would allow our other guys to get open with more propensity and then we can rain touchdowns on the masses. His biggest knock is his temper, and if anybody can curb that it the master of disasters, Fisher.

If we draft no WR I'm fine with that too, they looked good when Stacy emerged as a threat, I wouldn't hate to see what they can do with both Stacy and Bradford in the back field.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yo man, why's he gotta be white bro????? What ya tryin to say?:sneaky:

I like Abbrederis and wouldn't mind him being a Ram if we could get him in the 3rd round or later. And every team needs at least one "vanilla" WR.