The key to our "D"....is our Offense.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I know. Sounds a bit silly, but I think I can hash my thoughts out. Our defense has been built to defend the pass. And it is the one type of offense, that the blitz can completely disrupt. But teams won't pass for passing sake. If we can't stop the run, we'll be in line for a year like last year. Brockers has his moments where he's extremely tough against the run, but he's only one cog. We must get the lead and make teams pass, which in turn plays into our strength. How many times at the end of games we won last year, was our defense feasting in the fourth....(I rather like that term.... "Feast in the Fourth!".....) If our offense can extend drives and reduce our opponents drives by shortening the game (use the clock...), I think we can have that winning season everyone is looking for us to put forth.
It's kind of interesting to see where we have weaknesses and how they can be exploited. SF has used that same equation to beat us last year. But another year older, not to mention their offseason hasn't been as smooth as they hoped, gives us a stronger chance to reverse course. Seattle, they shut down the run to make people throw at their strength....their secondary. But grind out drives against them and the secondary is then put on an island to stop teams w/o their great safety support. And their weakness happens to be their offensive line. Get the lead and make them beat you w/ the pass. Yeah, Russell will run around and get a few "highlight" plays.....But we've alreadys hown we can sack him w/ regularity. And both him and Kaopectate will throw short to avoid rushes. Williams will have the guys rallying to the dumps as blitzing usually rotates into the obvious outlets. (See Coach O for a better diagram on that...).
But it's the offense that needs to get leads, control the clock and make teams beat us by dropping back. No, we don't have the greatest secondary, but we might have the best pass rush, which allows some faults in our coverage. We need to let our big guys control the game and make teams gamble on defense.
But these are my thoughts for the moment....

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
No offense, but I think this is common sense. And it's all teams, not just ours. Everyone knows that the longer the offense is on the field, the less time the defense is on the field. The less time the defense is on the field, the better. If you can get an early lead, it helps out the defense because the other team is doing whatever it takes to score points, which usually results in mistakes and turnovers. Though I'm always down for reading about how we punish Wilson and the weaknesses of the teams in our division.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Clock management is a critical part of the game. I don't think fans are going to see the "high scoring" offense some are hoping for. Fisher has a tendency to sit on a lead and it's the only thing about his coaching style that bugs me. This will be a run first, dink and dunk offense all day. So, I think you'll get your wish of the offense trying to ground out the clock.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Also, I think that other offenses will be trying to implement your strategy on the Rams a lot. Run the ball against the blitz. Rape the suspect secondary with the play action. Build up a nice cushion and go to the run game to grind the clock out. Difference between most teams and the Rams is that coaches trust their offenses more to march down the field for a scoring drive. Also I'd be willing to bet most opposing coach's think they can exploit the secondary easier than average.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I after. I'm not to worried about the defense because I know we'll be forcing turn overs.
But the O has got to capitalize on our defense providing plenty of the turn overs!

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No offense, but I think this is common sense. And it's all teams, not just ours. Everyone knows that the longer the offense is on the field, the less time the defense is on the field. The less time the defense is on the field, the better. If you can get an early lead, it helps out the defense because the other team is doing whatever it takes to score points, which usually results in mistakes and turnovers. Though I'm always down for reading about how we punish Wilson and the weaknesses of the teams in our division.
To a certain extent it would be considered 'common sense". To our team it's imperative, we shorten games. Teams like Denver, GB, Philly, and New England all benifit from an up tempo style. We only benifit if their offense is trying to force the issue by driving into our strength. Sam the game manager works very well w/ this style. Sam the franchise QB......maybe not so much.......(unless it's on the last drive of the game.....;))

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Clock management is a critical part of the game. I don't think fans are going to see the "high scoring" offense some are hoping for. Fisher has a tendency to sit on a lead and it's the only thing about his coaching style that bugs me. This will be a run first, dink and dunk offense all day. So, I think you'll get your wish of the offense trying to ground out the clock.
I agree on the Fisher philosophy. But I think you'll see a few more go all in plays....but only when they are in our favor will we take the shot.