The job isn’t done for LA Rams defensive back Jordan Fuller

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

The job isn’t done for LA Rams defensive back Jordan Fuller​

The fact is that LA Rams starting defensive back Jordan Fuller has been an overwhelming surprise for the team may be a bit too much, but it’s close in terms of finding a safety who can start for the Rams defense with the 199th pick of the 2020 NFL Draft. The next hurdle is keeping him on the field.

He missed four games in his rookie season with a nagging shoulder injury. In 2021, he played all 17 games but had his ankle stepped on in the last game of the season by San Francisco 49ers offensive lineman Alex Mack. That injury was so severe that it required surgery, forcing the young former Buckeye to miss the NFL Playoffs.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsonfilm/status/1499151791929401346?s=21&t=qsSlo-DrNdTf5qQ8N2VHIw

The same NFL Playoffs that saw LA Rams veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford go on a four-game winning streak, the first postseason victories of his career, to lead the LA Rams to a win in Super Bowl LVI. Jordan Fuller earned his Super Bowl ring, but he didn’t earn it on the football field. For that reason, the job is not done.

Jordan Fuller is finding his way back

So far, the season seems far away from the third-year starting defensive back. Right now, the immediate goal is getting back onto the football field. He’s had offseason surgery on his ankle, yes. But the LA Rams season ended in late February, which pushed the timetable of his recovery back a bit. You see, getting injured on January 9, 2022, has placed the rehab into OTAs.

So far, both Jordan Fuller and TE/WR Jacob Harris are working their way back. And if he stays on track, he will be ready to put on the pads. But this will be a new season, how will it change for Fuller?

For starters, look for veteran inside linebacker Bobby Wagner to be wearing the green dot. That itself should free up Fuller to focus on coverages and the secondary. His snap count ran at 1,029 defensive snaps and allowed him to top the team with 113 tackles and one interception. While he only broke up four passes, he did manage to thwart opposing quarterbacks by allowing only 66.7 percent of passes targeting him to find their mark.

Job’s not done

How will the Rams step up this year? With a strong middle of the defense presence, Fuller will be able to direct more attention to pass defense, which is absolutely his strong suit. That will depend upon how well a combination of Ernest Jones / Bobby Wagner defends the middle, of course, but I’m optimistic there.

Even though the LA Rams won Super Bowl LVI, the job is not done for Jordan Fuller and the dozen or so players who had to watch their teammates from the sidelines or the comfort of their homes due to injury.

Winning a Super Bowl ring is always a highlight for any professional football player. But earning a ring by playing in the game that decides who emerges the victor is a different thrill altogether. That is what third-year defensive back Jordan Fuller is looking for this year. Here’s hoping he finds what he is looking for.

oldnotdead

Legend
Fuller is much like Ernest Jones, i.e. the potential to be very good is there. He needs to come out this season and take that next step in his development.

He's going to be pushed this year. Rapp will be fighting for his job, Scott is emerging as a very good FS, Lake and Yeast project as future starters. His position as a starter will be challenged. This competition should make him better. I like the safeties that the Rams have.

Rapp and Scott are in contract years. I think only one might be extended next year and IMO that's Scott because of his speed. It gives them a true FS that none of the others are. But drafting Lake and Yeast, is a clear sign that at least one of the vets if not both might not be extended next year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rapp and Scott are in contract years. I think only one might be extended next year and IMO that's Scott because of his speed. It gives them a true FS that none of the others are. But drafting Lake and Yeast, is a clear sign that at least one of the vets if not both might not be extended next year.
I don't think you will get much debate on the board with the preference of extending Scott over Rapp. Scott has proven to be better in coverage, Rapp excels blitzing and playing more of a LB role in the defense. Overall, the starting two of Scott & Fuller seems strong plus I am liking the Quentin Lake selection too as I'm expecting Lake to provide depth plus offer the opportunity to be a starter in a couple of years.

F. Mulder

Starter

The job isn’t done for LA Rams defensive back Jordan Fuller​

The fact is that LA Rams starting defensive back Jordan Fuller has been an overwhelming surprise for the team may be a bit too much, but it’s close in terms of finding a safety who can start for the Rams defense with the 199th pick of the 2020 NFL Draft. The next hurdle is keeping him on the field.

He missed four games in his rookie season with a nagging shoulder injury. In 2021, he played all 17 games but had his ankle stepped on in the last game of the season by San Francisco 49ers offensive lineman Alex Mack. That injury was so severe that it required surgery, forcing the young former Buckeye to miss the NFL Playoffs.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsonfilm/status/1499151791929401346?s=21&t=qsSlo-DrNdTf5qQ8N2VHIw

The same NFL Playoffs that saw LA Rams veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford go on a four-game winning streak, the first postseason victories of his career, to lead the LA Rams to a win in Super Bowl LVI. Jordan Fuller earned his Super Bowl ring, but he didn’t earn it on the football field. For that reason, the job is not done.

Jordan Fuller is finding his way back

So far, the season seems far away from the third-year starting defensive back. Right now, the immediate goal is getting back onto the football field. He’s had offseason surgery on his ankle, yes. But the LA Rams season ended in late February, which pushed the timetable of his recovery back a bit. You see, getting injured on January 9, 2022, has placed the rehab into OTAs.

So far, both Jordan Fuller and TE/WR Jacob Harris are working their way back. And if he stays on track, he will be ready to put on the pads. But this will be a new season, how will it change for Fuller?

For starters, look for veteran inside linebacker Bobby Wagner to be wearing the green dot. That itself should free up Fuller to focus on coverages and the secondary. His snap count ran at 1,029 defensive snaps and allowed him to top the team with 113 tackles and one interception. While he only broke up four passes, he did manage to thwart opposing quarterbacks by allowing only 66.7 percent of passes targeting him to find their mark.

Job’s not done

How will the Rams step up this year? With a strong middle of the defense presence, Fuller will be able to direct more attention to pass defense, which is absolutely his strong suit. That will depend upon how well a combination of Ernest Jones / Bobby Wagner defends the middle, of course, but I’m optimistic there.

Even though the LA Rams won Super Bowl LVI, the job is not done for Jordan Fuller and the dozen or so players who had to watch their teammates from the sidelines or the comfort of their homes due to injury.

Winning a Super Bowl ring is always a highlight for any professional football player. But earning a ring by playing in the game that decides who emerges the victor is a different thrill altogether. That is what third-year defensive back Jordan Fuller is looking for this year. Here’s hoping he finds what he is looking for.

I don’t dislike Fuller but I’m far from sold on him. For me he really needs to step up this year. To me he is a poor tackler and needs to be better at diagnosing plays instead of reacting. I’m strongly on the fence (lol)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He needs to hold it down back there this year. I expect he will too. If Scott can pair with him and settle the safety roles down we should definitely have a noticeably better secondary because of that plus Hill's addition and more young talent in the draft at corner. Seems like the secondary at large should have a lot of energy in camp because there's gonna be dudes battling for big jobs.

I think there's a bunch of different ways they might stack out too. Which is in itself a good sign for our depth. Seeing how this defense will take shape should be fun. :thumbsup1:

oldnotdead

Legend
Rapp isn't a scheme fit under this type of zone system. He doesn't have the freedom to flow to the play as he sees it. Under Wade, and why Rapp excelled in that scheme Rapp was played to his strength. After watching him at UW for years, Rapp's strength is his quick ability to read and react to a play. He would play about 10 yds off as a true SS and play downhill. Under Staley and now Morris, he's being played as a hybrid ILB and he doesn't have the speed to react that quickly. Whether people believe it or not scheme fit is a very real thing. Rapp would be a good fit in the Raven's style of defense.

Both Lake and Yeast look to be good fits for Morris' style of zone defense. Both are a bit faster than Rapp. and Fuller. This is why IMO drafting both Lake and Yeast tells me Rapp and Fuller may be out. Scott should remain simply because he's the only true FS they have. The reason I think the Rams want more speed at safety is because of the likelihood that Morris might be gone next year meaning another defensive scheme change. Lake and Yeast being a bit faster than both Rapp and Fuller would give a new DC more flexibility as both fit a wider variety of schemes.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Fuller is much like Ernest Jones, i.e. the potential to be very good is there. He needs to come out this season and take that next step in his development.

He's going to be pushed this year. Rapp will be fighting for his job, Scott is emerging as a very good FS, Lake and Yeast project as future starters. His position as a starter will be challenged. This competition should make him better. I like the safeties that the Rams have.

.Surprsing Fuller lead the team in tackles? Troy Reeder & SJD69 are going to add to SD Chargers defense.

Rapp & Fuller we’re the main combo safeties. I’m not a fan of Taylor Rapp though.

The post season A.Robinson really step up along with D. Williams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rapp is a damn good player, but he feels like a guy that could reach a higher ceiling on another team.

We have a lot of nice pieces, some potential building blocks, with Scott, Fuller, Lake, and Yeast, etc.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be cool to see Rapp finally figure shit out back there. But what's cool is that both him and Scott are UFAs after the season so this is a paycheck competition. There's a lot on the line for these safeties this year. :thumbsup1:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Fuller has the talent. But with the ascension of Scott and Rapp, he needs to stay healthy to compete for the starter position. Not sure where they plan to play Burgess. He was a safety in college but I keep hearing about him in the nickel. He's a guy who needs to stay healthy too. If the secondary group as whole stays relatively healthy, that would be the deepest area on the depth chart.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I like Taylor Rapp a lot. I've defended him a ton, I like how hard he works out...but I don't see a future for him on the team. Scott emerged in the postseason and is probably our best safety. Burgess has been featured a ton in the offseason, and I have to think there's a reason for that. Fuller was solid during the regular season. We drafted two safeties in Lake and Yeast, both of whom I like.

I can't see Rapp having a future with this team unless we go with eleven defensive backs, which I doubt we will.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure where they plan to play Burgess. He was a safety in college but I keep hearing about him in the nickel.
He might be in trouble on the roster. Certainly couldn't play slot for us. Couldn't play a whole lot even when it wasn't like guys were locking things down.

Rams drafted two slot corners this year. They have Ramsey to move into the slot vs strong run teams and teams with bigger slot threats. They drafted two safeties who will be cheap and under team control.

Burgess is definitely in that danger zone, he's gonna have to show some stuff to stick this year.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fuller shows him how it's done correctly. Anytime I can rub the 49's fans face in this, I'm going to.
1657202641929.png
1657202664089.png

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fuller is highly regarded for his leadership. I think it’s overblown. When Weddle showed up the improvement in play for the DBs was significantly upgraded. So Fuller is not at an elite level mentally and he’s average physically. I don’t see what the celebration is about.

I think the Rams allow both Rapp and Scott to test free agency. Neither should command huge contracts though. But the Rams have drafted and signed their future replacements this spring.

Hopefully they can retain Scott on the cheap. He doubles his value on STs.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IF I recall correctly, we all thought our defensive backfield was going to be the best in the NFL last year. Boy, were we wrong. Darius Williams had an "off year"... Rochelle made some rookie mistakes and then got hurt... Burgess never blossomed - maybe he never fully recovered from his severe ankle injury? And Fuller did not get much better in his second year. David Long also disappointed during the regular season. Fortunately, Ramsey still played great.

Like many others here, I am hoping that Scott is the real deal at free safety, and there seems to be good depth at safety overall with Fuller and Rapp and Burgess. Rochelle needs to grow in leaps and bounds this year, while Tory Hill and the two promising rookies round-out the cornerback spots.

Here's to drinking the kool-aid. Go Rams!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fuller is highly regarded for his leadership. I think it’s overblown. When Weddle showed up the improvement in play for the DBs was significantly upgraded. So Fuller is not at an elite level mentally and he’s average physically. I don’t see what the celebration is about.

I think the Rams allow both Rapp and Scott to test free agency. Neither should command huge contracts though. But the Rams have drafted and signed their future replacements this spring.

Hopefully they can retain Scott on the cheap. He doubles his value on STs.
I do not see Jordan Fuller not ending up being on the field in DC Morris's defense as anything less than a starter. That thought does not excite me either.

I'm not a big fan of his 2021 on-field performances even though most Ram fans throw up his leading tackling stats. The bottom line here JF is just too slow to be an effective deep safety. When NIck Scott took over in the deep even Ram fans sleeping could see the difference in deep secondary plays.

Might be his injuries too that have caused me not to be on his bandwagon. Another thing is JF is here on an Econo contract too...so he is a bargain. JF is our biggest & tallest safety at 6-21/2/ 205 lbs. When utilized as he was in the DC Staley defense in JF's rookie season made many more plays on the field.

JF was a very good discovery late in the 6th rd by Snead it's my strong belief that the key to how well JF performed this 2022 season hinges on where DC Morris assigns him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fuller's ideal game is when he plays with anticipation. I agree he wasn't as good last year as he was under Staley, that could be explained by coaching (preparing and understanding the gameplan as well as gameday calls) or maybe he was nicked up or something idk. But I do like that he actually has played well at this level.

As opposed to say Burgess who they keep trotting out there in package work. Great guy and all I'm sure and one of our best athletes in that safety group but something is missing there.

I suspect Raheem just needs to get that safety room stacked the way he wants it. Which is to say maybe he wants to play less quarters and more cover three for example in 2022. That would impact the corners too but the safeties are gonna be key there if he's moving away from quarters even a little in his approach. Note that I'm not suggesting they won't play quarters. But every DC has a mix he is comfortable with given down/distance/situation and Raheem needs to call what he's comfortable with so the better safety depth should give him a lot of room for trial and error in camp to find the right guys.