The Jim Harbaugh rule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
From Clark Judge of CBSSports:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark-judge/21737156/nfl-to-head-coaches-stay-where-you-belong--on-the-sidelines%5B/url%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark ... %5B/url%5D</a>

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NFL won't call it the Jim Harbaugh Rule, but it might as well. The San Francisco head coach is one of those the league's competition committee has in mind when it took action to keep coaches from wandering onto the field.

Harbaugh was on the field more than once during the playoffs, and the NFL wants that to stop -- making sure coaches understand that's where players, not coaches, belong. So it will make sideline discipline a point of emphasis this year, with coaches warned that they can and will be flagged if they don't comply.

"We need to be much more disciplined about where our coaches go in terms of the box," said Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations, "and venturing out on the field beyond traditional markers is something that is just not appropriate. It can interfere and it can be viewed as intimidating, and we really are going to rein that in."

Coaches already are discouraged from charging onto the field, but while they are supposed to be limited by defined parameters -- all on the sidelines -- they are rarely penalized if they don't adhere to them, as Harbaugh did during the playoffs.

That doesn't mean he was the only one, but the NFL has had enough and decided the rule needs to be re-emphasized -- only this time with a stern warning.

"There are borders," said Anderson, "but, very frankly, they're loosely enforced. But they will be more aggressively enforced going forward because we need to rein it in."

Meaning?

"Coaches can be flagged," he said. "It's about enforcement and point of emphasis. So coaches who, after appropriate warning, continue to venture out will pay the price with a penalty that potentially could hurt heir team."

And if they're repeat offenders?

"They can be fined," said Anderson. "No question."

Lesson

Oh, really?
Excellent.

I also think it's a good rule to have in place. No need for coaches going crazy off the sideline.

Psycho_X

Legend
Lesson said:
Excellent.

I also think it's a good rule to have in place. No need for coaches going crazy off the sideline.

Agreed, it's a "give an inch, take a mile" sort of thing. Most coaches take an inch but Harbaugh would go the mile just to throw his childlike temper tantrums. If I was a ref I'd be asking for the NFL for permission to throw a flag at him also.

nittany ram

Rookie
I wish they'd begin flagging the whiny trantrums and rage induced histrionics. A player on the field wouldn't get away with that behavior without drawing a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct so I don't see why a coach should get away with it. Especially when they're up in the ref's grill...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
nittany ram said:
I wish they'd begin flagging the whiny trantrums and rage induced histrionics. A player on the field wouldn't get away with that behavior without drawing a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct so I don't see why a coach should get away with it. Especially when they're up in the ref's grill...

Those should be like Technical Fouls in basketball. 15 yards for the first one,,, if you get a second one in the same game then you'll get another 15 yards and an automatic ejection from the game.

It's the threat of getting the second one in the same game that really gets control of the game. I used to wield that hammer when I ref-ed B-Ball. I rarely had to T-up many the second time.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He wont be able to control himself. This is good.

We should have Finnegan start taunting him on the sideline to draw one hahahaha

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Leave it to one guy to spoil a rule everyone else follows.

I say put a shock collar on Harbaugh and leave things as they are. :cool:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Username said:
He wont be able to control himself. This is good.

We should have Finnegan start taunting him on the sideline to draw one hahahaha
Watching him try to control himself, now that would be entertaining.

Cue the Scanner's vid of the guy's head exploding.

nittany ram

Rookie
Selassie I said:
nittany ram said:

Those should be like Technical Fouls in basketball. 15 yards for the first one,,, if you get a second one in the same game then you'll get another 15 yards and an automatic ejection from the game.

It's the threat of getting the second one in the same game that really gets control of the game. I used to wield that hammer when I ref-ed B-Ball. I rarely had to T-up many the second time.

Works for me.