The importance of music before a game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Calming nerves or stoking flames, music playlist does trick in NFL pregame
justin-forsett-40-50.jpg
Justin Forsett Contributor @JForsett
  • It could include taking one last look at the playbook, watching some last-minute film, praying or even meditating. Being mentally ready for a game is highly important, because you want to make sure you know your assignments so well that when it’s time to execute, you’re not thinking. You’re reacting.

When they're done with this part of the mental preparation, most go into a place of extreme focus; a place I like to call "the zone." It’s a place where a player goes to prepare his mind for battle.

One aid most players use to get in the zone is music, a powerful tool. Each Sunday, you'll see players head into stadiums with headphones on. Then you'll watch them warm up on the field before the game with headphones on their ears and iPods in their pockets. This happens because music has a special way of triggering emotions that can be conducive to your focus and performance.

Don’t get me wrong: Not all players listen to music before games. But those who do usually have a couple reasons. One reason is it helps pump them up before a game.

Music can put you in a state of excitement with the tempo, rhythm and beat of a particular song, which is helpful when you are going into a game that is very fast and physical. The right song on your playlist can spark your imagination in such a way that you feel like you are a superhero. It’s like watching your favorite superhero come on the scene with his theme music playing—you feel unstoppable.

Another reason players listen to music is to calm their emotions. Some guys are so on edge and so pumped that they need something to calm the storm. So they may listen to songs with slower melodies to take that edge off.

Personally, as a Christian athlete, when I listen to music before a game, I’m looking for songs that remind me of my purpose; why I play. For me, the rhythm and beat is not as essential as the content. I’m listening for words in a song that are going to keep me uplifted. I want to be in a mental state of peace going into the game because it allows me to play without restrictions.

Before his game, a player can be filled with anxiety, worry and nervousness because he doesn't want failure. This is why it’s important that, after I go over all my assignments, notes and film and do everything in my ability to prepare for a game, I remember to trust God.

I have to remember this because it's what gives me strength. Whatever happens in the game—success or failure—I know there's purpose behind it all. And at the end of the day, it’s going to work for my good.

I choose to listen to gospel music and Christian hip hop because it's a reminder of my greater purpose in the game. It helps me accomplish my mission to play with controlled aggression; never letting my highs get too high or my lows get too low.

Music can ramp you up or it can keep you even-keel. I believe it’s an awesome tool not only for football players, but also anyone with a nine-to-five job. When used properly, music is a great aid. But it’s up to you to find out what works.

So before you go back to work, put together a playlist of songs you think will help you find your zone. Let me know how it goes.

Justin Forsett is a running back for the Baltimore Ravens and contributor for Sporting News. He writes on religion, faith and family, and how each fits in his sport. Follow Justin Forsett on Twitter: @JForsett

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Music can ramp you up or it can keep you even-keel. I believe it’s an awesome tool not only for football players, but also anyone with a nine-to-five job. When used properly, music is a great aid. But it’s up to you to find out what works.

True. When I used to have to go to a Contractors meeting I'd called, and needed to chew some ass to get things on point, I'd listen to Three Days Grace or Metallica in my car the whole way down to the meeting. Same thing at the gym. But when I'm stuck in traffic for a long time, I switch over to The Beatles or Eagles or something more mellow to keep from ripping my steering wheel off the column. Some nice old school R & B is ideal for other situations as well. :shades:

Someone will need to help me understand how "Eye of the Tiger" did anything for Rocky though.
That song would make me want to punch myself in the face.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Metallica is a great choice. Whiplash is my personal favourite for when I'm p1ssed off and need some release.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That top 10 list is freakin terrible. Fail to see how that could get one "pumped."