The Greatest Game Ever Played?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Giants vs Colts

The 1958 National Football League Championship Game was played on December 28, 1958 at Yankee Stadium in New York City. It was the first National Football League (NFL) playoff game to go into sudden death overtime.

The game marked the beginning of the NFL's popularity surge, and eventual rise to the top of the United States sports market. A major reason was that the game was televised across the nation by NBC.

The OC for the Giants was Vince Lombardi. The DC was Tom Landry. Charlie Conerly was the QB and Frank Gifford the RB.

Johnny Unitas was the QB for the Colts. Alan Ameche was the RB. Raymond Berry had a huge game for the Colts at WR.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That is what put the NFL on the Map I only wish that Rams owner Dan Reeves (not the former Head Coach of Denver & Atlanta) would have hired Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry in 1959. However, he stayed with Sid Gillman so missed out on Lombardi and then hired Bob Waterfield in 1960 while Landry landed in Dallas.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I am an old timer, but I stop at 1967-70...preferring 1974+.....I wish I could appreciate this classic. If anyone wants, I have 200+ non-Ram classics from the last 40 years.....I wouldn't say this if it weren't for this post...don't want to bring non-ram vids in to this site....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am an old timer, but I stop at 1967-70...preferring 1974+.....I wish I could appreciate this classic. If anyone wants, I have 200+ non-Ram classics from the last 40 years.....I wouldn't say this if it weren't for this post...don't want to bring non-ram vids in to this site....

Non-Ram vids are fine, Steve. This is after all NFL Talk as well as Rams.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The playoff game vs the Panthers was one of the best games I've ever seen.
The losing part sucked, but the game wore me out just watching it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
1956 NFL Championship

Bears vs the Giants at Yankee Stadium for the 1956 NFL Championship! Beautiful close-up color shots of Bears coach "Paddy" Driscoll, George Blanda, Ed Brown, Harlon hill, J.C. Caroline, Bill McColl, Rick Casares, George Halas and Sid Luckman.

Also shown are Giants coach Jim Lee Howell, 26-year old Frank Gifford, Roosevelt Greer, Dick Modzelewski, Emlen Tunnell, Kyle Rote and QB "Chuckin'" Charlie Conerly.

Giants return the kickoff to the Bear 37, promptly score, and it's all downhill for Chicago after that, as Giants completely dominate the Bears in a lopsided game, 47-7. Rick Casares scores the only Bear TD in the second quarter on a nine-yard run. New York's Ben Agajanian kicks two FG's and five conversions in the romp!

moklerman

Warner-phile
SB XXXIV and Kurt's 2nd to last game, the 2009 playoff game vs. Green Bay. 51-45 Cardinals, Kurt throws more TD's than incompletions.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Rams-Panther was one of the most incredible games I ever saw. I was/am a Rams addict, so in 2003 I decided for ONE GAME to not care--to enjoy, like a normal person---I acutally drove at halftime to someone else's house to watch the game--missing part of the 3rd quarter. It was the Rams-Panther Double OT playoff game. I really enjoyed the game with a room ful of people---and that is the first and last time in my life in 39 1/2 years of Ram ball. I think I have watched...400+ games live....whatever. Torry HOlt getting outmuscled still makes me sad though

By the way, I can't watch a game live, usually; I can't, I just watch starting in the 2nd quarter; I can't sleep if I watch the game, my heart is pounding. I find this sad about myself, but true. This will end in heaven, I think.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is the season i became a Rams fan. I don't remember this particular game, but i remember the players. When did Ferragamo step in?

He appeared in 20 games between 77 and 79 but was not a full-time starter until 1980 - Link

Catching Up With Vince Ferragamo
Posted May 15, 2013
By StLouisRams.com

• aa
    Ferragamo_Feature_420_310_.jpg
By Julia Faron
Special to Stlouisrams.com

Life after the NFL has been robust for former LA Rams’ quarterback Vince Ferragamo.

With his football career in the books, Ferragamo was drawn to a more laid back lifestyle that he could enjoy with his family and friends. The industry that fit the mold was the art of winemaking, beginning with growing the grapes, tending to them and harvesting them for production.

“I was drinking a lot of different types of wines and as I got more into it, I learned to appreciate all the different styles of wines that there are out there and the way people make wine, so that’s what got me into it,” Ferragamo said.

He turned that interest into a private-label wine company on the Tenuta di Ferragamo (Ferragamo Estate). In his personal vineyard, he harvests 1,200 lbs. of grapes, which in turn makes about 40 cases of wine.

“It’s just for family and friends,” Ferragamo said. “I donate some to local charities and there are a couple restaurants that want it, so maybe (someday I’ll sell it).”

The wine is a Sangiovese-Cabernet blend, created using a mid-way clone of those two grapes. The name of the wine is Caressa J., and comes from a combination of his three daughters’ names: Cara, Venessa, and Jenna.

“They all like wine and they drink it, they love it and help me with the harvest,” Ferragamo said. “We had a big planting party and had a bunch of friends over, it’s fun.”

After retiring from football following the 1986 season, Ferragamo dabbled in the financial arena and took an interest in real estate as a second livelihood. With a little research, he decided to open his own company, Touchdown Real Estate, and later Endzone Mortgage.

With the help of some of his financial advisors, Ferragamo experienced success in the real estate industry in Orange County, Calif., and the surrounding coastal beach area.

Ferragamo and his family also operate a foundation benefitting the Special Olympics and other need sports programs. His wife of 34 years, Jodi, pitches in on fundraising by hosting a fashion show to raise monies for breast cancer detection and hospital machinery.

Ferragamo spent the 1977 through 1984 seasons with the Rams, with the exception of the 1981 season which he spent with the CFL Montreal Alouettes. He took the Rams to the Super Bowl at the culmination of the 1979 season, the same year that he got his first NFL start.

“We were a good team then because we played as a team,” Ferragamo said. “There weren’t any individual stars, everybody just played as a team and that’s what makes a great team.”

To get to Super Bowl XIV, they had to take down Dallas – a team that had beaten the Rams by 24 points earlier in the season - and Tampa Bay, both on the road.

“We were able to beat the really good teams who had great speed, we could beat them with the deep ball because for some reason they didn’t really expect us to throw the ball like the way we did, so that’s what really gave us the edge in the big games,” Ferragamo said.

Though talented players are a necessity to win games especially in the NFL, Ferragamo credits the team’s success just as much to the camaraderie among players.

“You are always humble and play for each other,” Ferragamo said. “When you do that, that’s when you know you have a great team and a team you want to be around.”

In a record-setting game against Chicago on Dec. 26, 1982, Ferragamo threw for 509 yards (second-most in Rams history), three touchdowns and two interceptions. One of those picks came from Bears safety Jeff Fisher.

The stat brought a chuckle from Ferragamo but he carries no hard feelings towards the Rams head coach. In fact, he praised Fisher for his efforts in St. Louis.

“He’s a good communicator and he relates well to people – that’s like 90 percent of your job,” Ferragamo said. “He’s tough and you have to be tough to play football, but he also recognizes that it has to be fun and you have to have fun while you do it.”

Last season, the Rams celebrated their 75th anniversary and invited several alumni to the festivities in St. Louis for the San Francisco game.

“Jeff had us come in the locker and he wanted us to say hello to the entire team the Saturday before the game and have a fun, relaxed time,” Ferragamo said. “Tell a story about your favorite pet, favorite movie, what school you went to…fun little, crazy stuff - the guys really get into it.”

Ferragamo went on about that ‘reunion’ weekend and how much he enjoyed seeing his former teammates and being able to talk with the current players.

“I can tell you that it was a really good feeling to hear some of the other athletes that I played ball with saying, ‘Wow, it’s a like a whole hometown week, it’s nice to be welcomed back,’ I can’t tell you how great it was,” Ferragamo said.

Though the days of quarterbacking are over for Ferragamo, the memories they created continue to be cherished.

“Football has been a big part of my life, in all my years.”

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah he took us to the Super Bowl...but at what point during the '79 season did he get the start over Haden and why? Did Haden get injured or benched? I don't remember.
I was only 10 yrs old. :D Old timers help me out.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
In the past few years, I fully believe the Rams OT win over the 49ers was the best game played. Going further back though, it's difficult to say... I haven't been around long enough...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yeah he took us to the Super Bowl...but at what point during the '79 season did he get the start over Haden and why? Did Haden get injured or benched? I don't remember.
I was only 10 yrs old. :D Old timers help me out.

Haden began the 1979 season as the starter, but a broken finger midway through the season sidelined him in favor of Vince Ferragamo.

Because of Rams' coach Ray Malavasi's policy of giving an injured starter his job back, Haden began the 1980 season as the starter with Ferragamo as the backup. Haden was injured in the Rams season opener against the Detroit Lions. Ferragamo took over as the starter and didn't relinquish the job (despite Haden returning mid-season), passing for a then Rams-record 30 touchdown passes. Link