The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
So I was on the train to London for work today and I felt like I needed to write this post.
After 4.5years in the fisherball era, I felt I wanted to put my thoughts on paper about the overall state of the team. Really interested to see what people agree and disagree with to be honest.

Good:

Kenny Britt: Playing the way which we've all seen flashes of, consistently with a Below average QB. Boss

AD: Best defensive player in the NFL. Even with consistent double teams. Legend in the making

Safety's: haven't really noticed a massive change since Rodney left. Huge compliment to MoAlex that. They all Hit hard over the middle

Ogletree: stepped up to run the defence from JL. He's the leader of our D now

Special Teams: One thing I'll credit Fisher for is taking special teams seriously. Hekker, Legatron and excellent kick/punt coverage is one of the reasons why all of our games have been winnable (bar SF)

----------

Bad:

Penalties: as much as our dear leader likes to say that he's not worried about the penalties, he should be. Undisciplined football with a below average talented team is some 7-9ish

Tight Ends: Must be a scheme issue because we're getting nothing from our TE's in passing this year. We don't even use the Harkey play anymore :-( I miss that play

OL: simply no push in the run game. Execution is way below average summed up by way below seasons from GRob and RHav. Pass pro surprisingly ok considering we have a QB who runs into pressure and no rushing attack. and what the hell is Tim Barnes doing btw :-/ Coach Bou has had 5years to create the line and it's embarrassing

Tavon: Should never have been paid, doesn't fit in this team. Any other team would have traded him, see Percy harvin and the hawks. Dropped passes a problem

Gurley: Many factors why our run game is spluttering and Todd gurley is one of them. Has to take advantage when the rare holes are there.

Sacks: 10 sacks for a defence with Quinn a Donald on it? Totally not acceptable. Scheme and players both share responsibility. Embarrassing

Case Keenum: we know who keenum is by now. He will not win us a superbowl but might get us to 7-9. He's the perfect fisherball player

------------------

Ugly:

Draft Class: Goff, Higbee, Cooper, Spruce, Hemmingway. Anyone? Injuries a factor here sure but essentially all of our 2016 draft class are adding nothing to this season. How many NFL teams draft 5 offensive weapons and haven't got a single strand of production from any of them? Bemusing.

Run game: No toss's, no misdirection, no creativity, poor blocking, poor running back play. Totally disgraceful situation for a "power football" team. Say what you want about Cignitti, he had a solid run game.

QB situation: it's really bad, make no mistake about it. Keennum is an above average back up and shouldn't be leading this team. The fact we've given up so much to get Goff and he's not on the field is very worrying. The kid needs reps and experience and this is now turning into a farce. We're now in this position:

A) if fisher plays him and he stinks, he gave up a kings ransom for a QB who's simply not ready to play after months and months of trying to get him ready. This would Reflect extremely badly on the coaching staff and GM for choosing goff in the first place. Fisher would be fired and I fear this is a major reason he's not playing goff at the moment. Self preservation
B) if he plays him and does well, he'll be hounded by the media for sticking with Keenum in the first place.

Jeff Fisher: I'm tired of Mr Fisher. I'm tired of his unbelievable arrogance. Tired of his lack of class when winning (see Cards) and I'm tired of him making excuses and not taking responsibility when losing. Tired with his negative and unsustainable brand of football. saying "we'll fix it" and obviously not fixing it. Tired of his consistently bad offence. Tired of 7-9. Tired of of his oversized shirts.

Les Snead: every GM has bad picks, there's no exact science here. That being said, far too many high profile picks that have been "work in progresses" and picks with little or no production. Time for a change

Sorry for the long'ish post. If anything this exercise was more like therapy for me to blow off some steam. We're very lucky to have ROD as a friendly place to air our love for this team, even if it's very frustrating at times! Love you all
Up the rams!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
200.gif

tempests

Hall of Fame
Sacks: 10 sacks for a defence with Quinn a Donald on it? Totally not acceptable. Scheme and players both share responsibility. Embarrassing

Injuries too. The line has been beat up. And IMO, from 2010 to 2013 Chris Long was one of the most disruptive pass rushers in the NFL. Since he declined/injured/left, we haven't replaced that presence in the lineup.

Draft Class: Goff, Higbee, Cooper, Spruce, Hemmingway. Anyone? Injuries a factor here sure but essentially all of our 2016 draft class are adding nothing to this season. How many NFL teams draft 5 offensive weapons and haven't got a single strand of production from any of them? Bemusing.

Maybe, but like most other positions, if you're looking for early impact you have to take WRs early in the draft class. Mid to late round rookies are works in progress and can't be counted on for much. I never thought the expectations for Higbee, Thomas, Spruce being discussed here were that realistic.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
never thought the expectations for Higbee, Thomas, Spruce being discussed here were that realistic.

Fair point but some production or flashes of talent would be nice. We've seen very little or nothing from any of our draft picks this year

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well written my friend. I agree on pretty much every point. Tough to see the Rams have so many premium draft picks over the past 5 years and still have a sub-par roster. That falls on Snisher. In some cases the players have talent, in others they have discipline. Rarely do the same players possess both. Ah well....the cycle continues. Just gotta hope against hope that they can turn this thing around.

This season will be quite the embarrassment for the Fish if he indeed goes 7-9.....or worse. What he said to the team this preseason was not unique, but the fact that it was on Hard Knocks made it an almost self fulfilling prophecy, lolz. Go RAMS!!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I would probably put Ogletree in a "meh" column. Some game should he's great, some games he's brutal. He needs to be more consistent. That'll take time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmm....interesting thoughts... I gotta little sis in the UK...

The ugly stuff...we're 3-4...as disappointing as that is to a few (me)...it's not terrible. This team needs to learn how to win, not just compete. Draft picks take 3-4 years to analyze...So, way too soon. I think Forrest & Thomas are playing well for rookies...Snead... I actually like many of his players selected...Not necessarily the positioning...Running game...it indeed is ugly...and I keep thinking this is the week we break out...esp. against the Giants. Seems like we went away from the run game too soon. Now we get the Panthers...tough front 7...great test...Time for coach Boudreau to earn his money...
The bad...I think Gurley & Tavon are great players...and really, I'm not worried about great players...I think we need to find a way to use these great players...there is nothing wrong with being a decoy. They should embrace those roles..We only have 10 sacks on the season? Quinn is obviously not the same player. Coming off a back injury, it was to be expected. Still, we need some upgrades. Esp. a DE....Or, give Longacre some damn snaps. I'd like to see more targets for Kendricks b4 I say the TE's are a problem...Can Case see them? Case...Case was basically mentioned in your bad & ugly assessments...Too funny...I don't know what's going on at this moment, but the Keenum experiment is coming to a "case closed" conclusion...ahahahahahahah...And, I'd like to thank him for his services.
3-4....how close are we to being 6-1? 3 late game drives? 3 key turnovers? who knows? maybe the line plays a lil better with some type of spark. the kind of spark that a franchise QB can provide. That's my story...and I'm sticking to it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
True, But! At least the Rams "D" is 3rd in the League in Tackles for Lose against the Run with 31. According to ESPN. That's something!
But Yes the sack total is very disappointing for our Rams Team that used to average 50 per Year!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well written my friend. I agree on pretty much every point. Tough to see the Rams have so many premium draft picks over the past 5 years and still have a sub-par roster. That falls on Snisher. In some cases the players have talent, in others they have discipline. Rarely do the same players possess both. Ah well....the cycle continues. Just gotta hope against hope that they can turn this thing around.

This season will be quite the embarrassment for the Fish if he indeed goes 7-9.....or worse. What he said to the team this preseason was not unique, but the fact that it was on Hard Knocks made it an almost self fulfilling prophecy, lolz. Go RAMS!!
200.gif