The Golden Boy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I am from Marin County, went to Cal and live in Berkeley. I have been a Jared Goff fan for a loong time. And let me just say, Jared Goff is the exact same guy I've been watching since he was on the Elite 11 TV show in high school. Even then, there was this automatic tendency to underestimate him. He consistently ranked second or third on the show but never first; different guys would leapfrog him to get the top spot. The coaches would always briefly acknowledge his performance on camera ("well you have to have Jared up there"), but they hardly every showed him. Then he got to Cal, where the majority of fans were rooting for RS frosh Zach Kline to win the starting QB spot. Still, it was pretty obvious who the better player was. Cal proceeded to be absolutely atrocious with Goff as the starter, but his talent was obvious. We also saw that he never got down on himself; he just kept slinging it no matter what else was happening. By his junior year, he was in total command of the offense at the line of scrimmage. The preternatural pocket presence, the wow throws, the spreading the ball around, it was all there. It's super gratifying to see him do it now against the best in the world. And just like before, people will damn him with faint praise until he forces them to acknowledge the truth. Honestly, 16 is perfect for him; he does have Joe Montana-like qualities. I think Walsh would have loved him too, biggest reasons being his feet and that he throws a catchable ball.

Anyways, I'm a traditional Niner fan but I gotta say it's been a long time since I rooted for a team like your Rams. There are a lot of other truly great players on this team, and it feels like a special year. This is my first post, thanks for reading.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Awesome man, welcome! Great first post. Jared Goff is what most of us who watched him college expected him to be. The crazy part is, he hasn’t even reached his full potential yet. Next year will be when people really acknowledge him as one of the best QBs in the league.

Glad he could help somewhat switch your alliance. Blue and white looks better anyway ;)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great post, thanks for giving us some perspective from a long time fan. There is something calming about the kids demeanor to me. Even when we were in the throws (pun intended) of his 0-7 rookie campaign, I didn't really have much doubt in him. I think we had all seen what he had come through at Cal and had confidence he could do it at this level. His father stated in an interview before the season that fans should get ready for good things from him. This is just what the kid does.

fearsomefour

Legend
Great post, thanks for giving us some perspective from a long time fan. There is something calming about the kids demeanor to me. Even when we were in the throws (pun intended) of his 0-7 rookie campaign, I didn't really have much doubt in him. I think we had all seen what he had come through at Cal and had confidence he could do it at this level. His father stated in an interview before the season that fans should get ready for good things from him. This is just what the kid does.
I agree.
This is what would crack me up about people making assumptions about his fire, drive or leadership. The dude seems chill. Doesn't mean he is not a competitor and isent a leader.
The assumption that a guy has to be like Phillip Rivers (whom I also like) running around like a crack addled wacko at a Walmart Black Friday sale, yelling and screaming, to be a leader is just silly.
I don't think the guy is meat is ceiling.
Also, every week if the offense has to punt or Goff gets sacks a couple of times, someone is saying he is getting rattled. Just because something doesn't work doesn't mean he is rattled. Haven't seen that at all. Doesn't mean he is immune to it. I don't believe that either. But, haven't seen that at all.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the post!

Ya know, we've reserved one more seat on the bandwagon, if you want to come over from the dark side.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
You're welcome to denounce that Niner taint you considered yourself a fan of and join us ;)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Cool, great to hear from someone who was from the hood...though marin, CA ain't no hood :)
Ya, I always heard he was tough..and his slight frame fools you as to whether he can be an NFLer.....he and Bradford have had more hate heaped on them than any QBs in NFL history...am I wrong?

49ers will be back sadly....enjoy the Shanny future...there will be some great fights in the next years!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I am from Marin County, went to Cal and live in Berkeley. I have been a Jared Goff fan for a loong time. And let me just say, Jared Goff is the exact same guy I've been watching since he was on the Elite 11 TV show in high school. Even then, there was this automatic tendency to underestimate him. He consistently ranked second or third on the show but never first; different guys would leapfrog him to get the top spot. The coaches would always briefly acknowledge his performance on camera ("well you have to have Jared up there"), but they hardly every showed him. Then he got to Cal, where the majority of fans were rooting for RS frosh Zach Kline to win the starting QB spot. Still, it was pretty obvious who the better player was. Cal proceeded to be absolutely atrocious with Goff as the starter, but his talent was obvious. We also saw that he never got down on himself; he just kept slinging it no matter what else was happening. By his junior year, he was in total command of the offense at the line of scrimmage. The preternatural pocket presence, the wow throws, the spreading the ball around, it was all there. It's super gratifying to see him do it now against the best in the world. And just like before, people will damn him with faint praise until he forces them to acknowledge the truth. Honestly, 16 is perfect for him; he does have Joe Montana-like qualities. I think Walsh would have loved him too, biggest reasons being his feet and that he throws a catchable ball.

Anyways, I'm a traditional Niner fan but I gotta say it's been a long time since I rooted for a team like your Rams. There are a lot of other truly great players on this team, and it feels like a special year. This is my first post, thanks for reading.
Welcome aboard! Once you switch to Rams, you'll never want to leave!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Thank you for stopping by and for such a good first post. Hope to read more from you in the future.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And just like before, people will damn him with faint praise until he forces them to acknowledge the truth. Honestly, 16 is perfect for him; he does have Joe Montana-like qualities. I think Walsh would have loved him too, biggest reasons being his feet and that he throws a catchable ball.
Nice post.....very true...catchable ball and sweet feet....

Anyways, I'm a traditional Niner fan
anigif_enhanced-buzz-10618-1376006022-22.gif

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Great post. I was a peninsula guy growing up. (We used to play against Marin Catholic) I know how you feel, having divided rooting interests. I'm proud, and disgusted to have Tom Brady from my high school. Like that feeling when you eat too much cake. :puke:

Also many Ram fans rooted for Kurt Warner during those 08-09 seasons despite him being on the rival Cardinals.
We will keep an open stool for you any time you want to come over and root for Jared's success.

:cheers:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blah blah blah blah blah I’m a forty niner fan
Blah blah blah blah blah

Just kidding. Nice post

49ers can suck it though

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't know anything about Goff coming out of college, but he seems to be everything people said he was. Great arm, great feet, competitive, confident, etc. But the thing that strikes me most about him is his demeanor. Even in this LA, NFL quarterback, star-in-the-making, pro bowl season..., he is kind, gracious, humble, and never says the wrong things. He is Warner-esque in that regard..

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nice of you to visit and your thoughts on Goff/:yay:

Our two favorite teams: Rams and whoever play the 48ers.:deadhorse:

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Forfeit your loyalty to the 9ers and pledge your allegiance to the Rams :p
Going to keep my eye on Jimmy G tho. That should be exciting for you guys. Go bears.