The Free safety battle that never was

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you want to man the FS position?

• Total voters

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Didn't Taylor play more SS ?
Hmmmm, maybe early in his career...probably his first season...But he was quickly moved to FS, and his true dominance began to show...Pass breakups (PBU's), interceptions (INT's), and forced fumbles (FF's). Sean Taylor was a monster on the field...and he was a ferocious tackler...Years ago, most of the dominant safeties, free safeties (FS) were larger. The 2 main ones I remember were steve atwater...and kenny easley...I remember Kenny E. and Don Rodgers in college...changing games with hellacious blows on running QB's....I'll always remember Jack Tatum. It's who I tried to pattern MY game after. I love safety play.

My point is by watching a video of some underated rookie your going to say he is going to be a starter, plus he is better than some of The Rams DB's who have put in there time & are part of one of THE BEST SPECIAL TEAM in The NFL !!!
Brian Randolph does have an impressive highlight video, but to really get a sense of his actual game, it's easy to watch film of him. Check out the games against Florida, Oklahoma, and I wanna say it was Bama or Auburn...He's a solid player...I really can't understand myself why he wasn't drafted? I don't know why Duke Williams or Nelson Spruce weren't drafted either. Must be the actual depth of talent coming out of the collegiate game.
I get your drift, you make your points very forcefully...I'm sure you mean no harm...It's hard to debate one's points without being critical, callous, and demeaning. But it's possible.
We all believe in Mo as a talent, we hope he can translate his ability to the field and play well. Jake's article just points out that his journey to the starting lineup is complete. It's his job to lose. I don't doubt he'll keep it. But I also believe guys like Bryant & Randolph could do the job as well....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In one thread you say he was a UDFA in another you think they traded up for him. Are you sure you know about this player? It was actually Lamarcus Joyner who they traded up for that draft, another person with a history and a skill set to play FS. Fisher is happy about every draft pick we can find a video singing the praises of the 6th round picks they took the year Mo was drafted.

Everybody is putting in the work and the time to get better and earn a spot on the team that's what training camp is for. I'm not criticizing Mo by pulling for Randolph I don't know why people do this. I've said it in multiple threads about multiple positions but maybe this time it'll stick. I don't care who wins the job's open on the team. As long as people are competing and getting better and earn the spots. Me pulling for Randolph isn't hating on Mo or Cody or any of the others it just means I like what I saw, maybe a little more than the other guys from all of their highlight video's and game play(yes they all have them).

Yeah-- He was not traded for,& The Rams only gave up a 5th rd pick to get Joyner.
I really liked EJ Gaines. I know Fisher was really excited about Mo & said they got a good player.
-- That's fine to have a player you like as well. I'm just stating Inthink your really wrong on this guy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hmmmm, maybe early in his career...probably his first season...But he was quickly moved to FS, and his true dominance began to show...Pass breakups (PBU's), interceptions (INT's), and forced fumbles (FF's). Sean Taylor was a monster on the field...and he was a ferocious tackler...Years ago, most of the dominant safeties, free safeties (FS) were larger. The 2 main ones I remember were steve atwater...and kenny easley...I remember Kenny E. and Don Rodgers in college...changing games with hellacious blows on running QB's....I'll always remember Jack Tatum. It's who I tried to pattern MY game after. I love safety play.

Brian Randolph does have an impressive highlight video, but to really get a sense of his actual game, it's easy to watch film of him. Check out the games against Florida, Oklahoma, and I wanna say it was Bama or Auburn...He's a solid player...I really can't understand myself why he wasn't drafted? I don't know why Duke Williams or Nelson Spruce weren't drafted either. Must be the actual depth of talent coming out of the collegiate game.
I get your drift, you make your points very forcefully...I'm sure you mean no harm...It's hard to debate one's points without being critical, callous, and demeaning. But it's possible.
We all believe in Mo as a talent, we hope he can translate his ability to the field and play well. Jake's article just points out that his journey to the starting lineup is complete. It's his job to lose. I don't doubt he'll keep it. But I also believe guys like Bryant & Randolph could do the job as well....

--Bryant I think is a good player,& has worked hard to keep on the 53. Cody Davies as well.This guys play real good on special teams. A player like Randolph has to show up in practice & games first.He has not impressed at all. How many times have you seen his name called in camp. --Nelson Spruce you can see he gets down field & suprised the heck out of me in special team drills.He looks like he has that it factor. I'm a Brian Quick fan. He does not play special teams.Bradley Marques Inquestion ,but he solid on special teams.
Chase Reynolds is on the team because of that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It seems to have been well documented why Duke went undrafted.
Yeah....there are a bunch of guys with similar stories that HAVE been drafted. Honeybadger being one of them...what's a 7th round pick worth?

How many times have you seen his name called in camp.
None...that doesn't mean he's not playing, or even playing well...The camp vids I've seen, it appears the defense isn't even going full speed.
ST's.....I'm of the belief that a good ST coach can turn ANY NFL player into a very good ST player. Chase, Cody...hell almost anybody that primarily plays ST could be replaced....True ST warriors to me are guys like Steve Tasker....and they're only very good in that role for 2-3 years...then their performance returns to normal levels...

We need wrs first...I'd rather have a backup RB that like, can really run the ball if he gets in the game...and they should all be on minimum contracts. As soon as they could get raises, I'd replace them with the next wave of udfa's....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah-- He was not traded for,& The Rams only gave up a 5th rd pick to get Joyner.
I really liked EJ Gaines. I know Fisher was really excited about Mo & said they got a good player.
-- That's fine to have a player you like as well. I'm just stating Inthink your really wrong on this guy.
And everybody is entitled to their opinion. You just seem to throw colorful adjectives when you disagree with people. If I'm wrong I can live with that as long as the Rams are a better team. Me stating an opinion on limited information is hardly a life threatening situation.

Stony32

Fan since tickets were $5.50
Yeah....there are a bunch of guys with similar stories that HAVE been drafted. Honeybadger being one of them...what's a 7th round pick worth?

But in Duke's case, it was made clear in everything I read on why he was undrafted. The guy didn't even get signed right after the draft and had to tryout onto the 90, forcryinoutloud. Glad to see him getting one last chance to turn it around and seemingly doing something with it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

None...that doesn't mean he's not playing, or even playing well...The camp vids I've seen, it appears the defense isn't even going full speed.
ST's.....I'm of the belief that a good ST coach can turn ANY NFL player into a very good ST player. Chase, Cody...hell almost anybody that primarily plays ST could be replaced....True ST warriors to me are guys like Steve Tasker....and they're only very good in that role for 2-3 years...then their performance returns to normal levels...

We need wrs first...I'd rather have a backup RB that like, can really run the ball if he gets in the game...and they should all be on minimum contracts. As soon as they could get raises, I'd replace them with the next wave of udfa's....

Perfect example of an UDFA The Rams have on there roster who will make the team is Aaron Green.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You left out the name of our most experienced safety......

I want Mo Alexander to continue to be the starter @ safety as he did last season. I have been an advocate of playing TJ McDonald in Rodney McLeod position. The duo of Mo & TJ fits what our DC desires to do. Tj has been a starter in this secondary since his rookie season. TJ has the experience to play deep this season.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Seriously though, what happened to signing Whitner? I thought it was a sure fire thing in April (even Whitner said it would happen on twitter) and then we haven't heard anything since.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And everybody is entitled to their opinion. You just seem to throw colorful adjectives when you disagree with people. If I'm wrong I can live with that as long as the Rams are a better team. Me stating an opinion on limited information is hardly a life threatening situation.
Sorry if I offended you . --I'll just say it will be fun to watch.
--- My thing is I think Mo Alexander is going to be a really special player for The Rams. The view point comes as he can be interchangeable.This is what will make the defense one of the tops in the league. Mo Alexander has so much knowledge of Greg Williams defense,a rookie has to learn.
Enjoy the preseason .I'm freaking so FIRED UP !!! I will get to record games on Regular HD since that A-Hole Al Davis changed the location rule. Loved when LA area Ram fans could watch games even if taped delayed .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry if I offended you . --I'll just say it will be fun to watch.
--- My thing is I think Mo Alexander is going to be a really special player for The Rams. The view point comes as he can be interchangeable.This is what will make the defense one of the tops in the league. Mo Alexander has so much knowledge of Greg Williams defense,a rookie has to learn.
Enjoy the preseason .I'm freaking so FIRED UP !!! I will get to record games on Regular HD since that A-Hole Al Davis changed the location rule. Loved when LA area Ram fans could watch games even if taped delayed .
Nah didn't offend me I'm pretty hard to offend. Annoy? That's another story! Initial depth chart has Mo at SS, which personally I think fits his skillset and the defense better and Cody Davis at FS. I've heard Williams rave about the work both have done so not too surprised there. We'll see how the next 3-4 weeks shake out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Or Malcom Brown....(y):cool::nice::shades:

Malcolm Brown already has made the roster. He should get more playing time this season. Aaron Green is a smaller guy,but he has a big heart & excellent motor. Really like the way he scooters.He is like a poor man's Sporles.
He is not afraid to put his body in the way of a pass rusher.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You left out the name of our most experienced safety......

I want Mo Alexander to continue to be the starter @ safety as he did last season. I have been an advocate of playing TJ McDonald in Rodney McLeod position. The duo of Mo & TJ fits what our DC desires to do. Tj has been a starter in this secondary since his rookie season. TJ has the experience to play deep this season.
That is what makes it work. Joyner can lay back & cover deep when asked as well. It makes things tough for a QB to read a formation by position.
-- communication is huge . If you go out to UCI you can see how untuned Mo Alexander is on defense .TJ is a 3(4) year starter as well. He is a intelligent NFL player most of the time.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
This defense is yet to take its final form.

Prepare yourselves for the 'Yuge Nickel'. A secondary and LB corps comprised of all safeties and converted safties. Think of the 1-5-5 with Donald as the anchor and all safties.

We'll have all the best defensive stats.