The forgotten man: Robert Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I get that Quinn missed significant time last year... But why does it seem he's fallen off the analyst's radar?

When the media discusses the Rams defense, some fail to put Quinn in the light he deserves. Donald obviously deserves the attention he's getting... But Quinn is a serious player and it seems a forgotten man as analysts suggest our defense has stepped back with the losses of Long, Jenkins, and JL.

Quinn... With 19 sacks in 2013. 10.5 in 2014. Then a hot start to 2015 before being derailed by injury. Dude has always gotten pressure as pass rusher.

Case in point... This article discusses who might lead the league in sacks this year. No mention of the mighty Quinn!

That's alright. The Rams are going to surprise some people.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...lil-mack-leads-candidates-to-dethrone-jj-watt

The last two NFL sack kings -- J.J. Watt (17.5 in 2015) and Justin Houston (22 in '14) -- are currently on the PUP list, recovering from offseason surgical procedures. While Watt is expected to return to the field before Houston, both prolific sack artists carry question marks as we head into the 2016 campaign.

Still, in a passing league, there are plenty of sacks to be had. And we've already heard some eye-opening forecasts around some of the league's elite pass rushers ...

At Cardinals camp, Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu are predicting that their new teammate, Chandler Jones, will rack up 20-plus sacks this season. That's nothing compared to Derek Carr's projection for Raiders teammate Khalil Mack: 30 sacks in 2016.

All of this begs the question: Who will lead the NFL in sacks this season?

Khalil Mack's poised to follow up his breakthrough season with even more dominance
Khalil Mack racked up 15 sacks and earned first-team All-Pro honors as both a defensive end and linebacker in 2015. Imagine what he'll do with another year of experience under his belt and Raidershead coach Jack Del Rio eager to unleash him on opposing quarterbacks once again.

Yes, Mack will feel the absence created by the suspension of Aldon Smith. But the Raiders also signed outside linebacker Bruce Irvin in free agency and he will be excited to have more pass-rushing opportunities than he found in Seattle.

In other words, Mack should be even scarier this coming fall.

Given the uncertainty surrounding J.J. Watt's health, Mack's the pick
When healthy, J.J. Watt is always the pick. We are watching a Hall of Fame player in his prime. In addition, he has the flexibility to rush from any position along the line of scrimmage, as well as blitz from a linebacker position. This helps him take advantage of personnel mismatches.

But, since we don't know how Watt's health will be entering the season, I will pick Kahlil Mack. He has shown steady improvement as a player and pass rusher since his career started in Oakland. Mack will be helped by the addition of Bruce Irvin on the other side, especially on passing downs. The other thing that will help him: I expect the offense to continue its improvement behind Derek Carr. This will put the defense in a position to have more pass-rushing opportunities because the opposition will be playing from behind.

UPSET ALERT: Ziggy Ansah will reach his potential and enjoy a huge year in Detroit
With J.J. Watt's injury, we don't know what he's going to be able to do this year, so I'm taking the upset pick and going with Ziggy Ansah. He was so raw coming out of college and continues to get better every year. I don't think he has even scratched the surface of his potential. Ansah might not have 20 sacks this season, but 16 or 17 is within reach -- and could get him the crown.

Mack attack! Watching the Raiders practice, that pass rush looks vicious
J.J. Watt could be limited early in the season, and that leaves the door open for a new sack leader. I watched the Raiders practice last week and let me tell you: Offenses are going to have a hard time against Bruce Irvin and Khalil Mack. Mack is poised to have a big season with Irvin, a complementary pass rusher, on the opposite site.

Everson Griffen will take full advantage of increased pass-rushing opportunities
Everson Griffen will lead the league in sacks this season because the Vikings are a team that, more often than not, should be playing from ahead. The emergence of Minnesota's offense with Adrian Peterson, Teddy Bridgewater and weapons in the passing game ( Stefon Diggs, Laquon Treadwell and Kyle Rudolph) will give the team early leads, allowing the defense to hunt.

In the past, the Vikings have been in a lot of close games, so the defense hasn't been able to attack. Now that the Vikings are going to be playing against teams that are chasing points, Griffen will have more opportunities to get after the passer.

Mack will wreak havoc with Bruce Irvin on the other side
Khalil Mack is fully capable of improving off his 15-sack season in 2015, especially with Bruce Irvinnow on the opposite side. Irvin will command attention, which will play in Mack's favor. If you leave Mack one-on-one, he will win 95 percent of the time. If the offense guesses wrong about where he's going to line up, he wins 100 percent of the time. He's going to take the crown this season.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm not surprised. He's coming off a pretty serious back injury and the coaches haven't even given him his full practice load yet. So some analysts probably see that as a bad sign. They will see though. The mighty Quinn will dominate this year. And be on these lists next year.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Quinn lost time actually helped Donald. Donald had to learn how to deal with constant double teams. Now having Quinn back healthy and Donald together teams are going to have a nightmare on their hands. I expect to see a ton of holding against both of them. Fisher has to make a big deal about it to the league and the Refs.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A healthy Quinn is as impressive as any pure pass rusher in the league.

The league hasn't really seen Quinn and Donald together yet.

If we get both of these guys firing on all cylinders at the same time, my God...

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Quinn and Donald together all season :mustache::mustache::mustache:

gonna be a thing of beauty. these "experts" are gonna be like "oh yeah, that Quinn guy's pretty good.. totally saw that coming."

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even though we are excited about Quinn ballin' like he did a few years ago...These sorry @ssed "experts" will say "no one" saw this coming (20 sacks by Quinn).......:gtfo:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Bucky Brooks - C'mon man...

If Quinn is healthy, this should be a more dominant D-line than ever before. And watch out for the Rams to be playing with a few leads this season. I realize there is a lot of justified skepticism about the offense but I get the feeling there is going to be enough of a difference to allow them to have some 2 TD leads in games and I think Palmer better get ready for two of them.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I'm telling you guys, I watched Quinn yesterday at practice. He is ready. He is fast, real fast!

It's going to be a great season!

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
nothin finer than one of a team's best players fallin off the radar. opposing OL's still have to deal with Donald, Brockers, Hayes and Coples/Easley. go ahead, forget robert...........ummm.............whats his name?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
nothin finer than one of a team's best players fallin off the radar. opposing OL's still have to deal with Donald, Brockers, Hayes and Coples/Easley. go ahead, forget robert...........ummm.............whats his name?
Your avatar went perfectly with this post.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

in the majority of idp rankings at ff sites they have quinn rated in the top 3, with watt and donald.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams D appears to be loaded inside with Brockers, Donald, Easley, Westbrooks & Cam Thomas may be the best cadre of interior DT's the Rams have had on the roster in a long, long, long time. Its the outside where the concerns are at if Rob Quinn does not return to past form. Eugene Sims is far superior when he can work the relief role @ RDE & inside on passing downs for Rob.

Hayes, Longacre & Coples will work over the LDE post. I will be surprised if Coples shows much for the Rams defense. Not sure he has what it takes to play for Simmons & Waufle to make the team. If Rob Quinn is back & he can find a way to break those massive under the front neck backward bend holds then there's no telling just how good this defense can be.

RAMBUSH

Starter
I'm telling you guys, I watched Quinn yesterday at practice. He is ready. He is fast, real fast!

It's going to be a great season!
It's posts like this that get me fired the hell up . Come on hard knocks! Bring on the fraudy whiners . I'm ready for some football. GO RAMS!!!