The forgotten Man, Brycen Hopkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
When he was drafted I saw him as basically Everett's replacement as I speculated that the Rams felt they would be out-bid for Everett as a FA. As I began to look into Hopkins, I saw he seemed to have a lot of upsides. He looks competent in running the Y route tree, simply needing polishing more than anything else. What also struck me was no matter what was asked of him he gave good effort, particularly in blocking. He struggled as most college TEs do with inline blocking. That is usually a very coachable issue. But he was also used occasionally as a run blocker, providing both a wham type of block on an inside run or as a lead blocker. Again the lack of technique was obvious, but the effort he played with was equally obvious.

McVay's offense uses play-action as a staple. In that regard having a TE as an H-back could pay dividends if incorporated into the scheme. That lead blocker would also provide another pass option because many times that lead blocker will be unaccounted for by the coverage. Hopkins has decent speed at 4.66 and is a good receiver. Coach him up as a lead blocker and they will have a player who can play TE or H-back interchangeably. If they want to take this offense to the next level having a lead blocker would seem in-line with that evolution. Too many times runs could have been broken if the Rams had used a lead blocker. Having one that can also provide a good receiving option only makes sense. Mundt lacks the speed and the hands as a receiver. So now I'm looking at Hopkins as probably more of a replacement for Mundt who can play as a blocker and a receiving TE regardless of if Everett is re-signed.

I think we are likely to see Hopkins, after the bye. I also feel that the Rams offense and defense must change to be more consistent and to play to a higher level.

Psycho_X

Legend
You almost made it through a whole post without bitching about the defense. But managed to slip it in a discussion about a rookie TE at the very end.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't think that Hopkins sees the field unless Everett gets a nagging injury again. What concerned me the most about him on draft day was not that he struggled blocking, but how he struggled blocking. He's very much a soft player. My quote was as follows: "He's softer than a baby sea otter's ass". He needs to toughen up if he ever wants to play. You don't play a guy like that at H-back; he's a tall receiver who can occasionally play inline if he learns how to block. But he'll never truly be an H-back or a lead blocker. Think of him as an Evan Engram-lite: he'll make plays in the passing game. Don't expect him to block well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I know this isn't popular but I like Mundt as our TE2. Nothing against Everett who is a solid run blocker for the type of TE he is, but I think Mundt is more willing to put his head in there on dudes when he's lead blocking (which this offense could use) and is really solid on the inline too as a blocker. It's ok to have one guy be a lunchpail type. Those two on the inline need to be factored in the run game, and Higs can mismatch most LBs and a ton of the safeties in this league.

I would trade Everett. I'm serious. Just move him for a midround pick and maybe down the stretch throw Hopkins in there a bit and let him get his feet wet.

We definitely nuke our players around here and we are acutely aware of Everett's talent level. But that ship has sailed and this group has excellent depth.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I know this isn't popular but I like Mundt as our TE2. Nothing against Everett who is a solid run blocker for the type of TE he is, but I think Mundt is more willing to put his head in there on dudes when he's lead blocking (which this offense could use) and is really solid on the inline too as a blocker. It's ok to have one guy be a lunchpail type. Those two on the inline need to be factored in the run game, and Higs can mismatch most LBs and a ton of the safeties in this league.

I would trade Everett. I'm serious. Just move him for a midround pick and maybe down the stretch throw Hopkins in there a bit and let him get his feet wet.

We definitely nuke our players around here and we are acutely aware of Everett's talent level. But that ship has sailed and this group has excellent depth.

You are good at insight and predictions @Merlin but trading Everett is a long shot without an equal return in value for this season imo.

Of course it could happen but for a midround pick just because he's likely gone after this season?

I just don't see it happening and I doubt the Rams do it with what they have behind Higbee at the TE position should they win on Monday night.

Now if the Rams get slapped around by the Bears and fall to 4-3, I might change my thinking. I said might.... No way would I trade Everett for a 4th round pick unless they fall to 4-4.

I'm assuming you consider the 3rd and 4th rounds as a mid round pick.

https%3A%2F%2Fnflspinzone.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2018%2F08%2F1272341786-850x560.jpeg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I agree to a point. Mundt would be a solid two, and I'd consider trading Everett if we can get something of high value for him. But Hopkins is not even close to being ready. I'd rather just bring up Blanton to play. As y'all probably know, I love my Mizzou players. Blanton's worth it, though; he's a solid blocker himself, and you can actually use him in the passing game, unlike Mundt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not sure we'd get enough value for Everett.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are good at insight and predictions @Merlin but trading Everett is a long shot without an equal return in value for this season imo.

Of course it could happen but for a midround pick just because he's likely gone after this season?

I just don't see it happening and I doubt the Rams do it with what they have behind Higbee at the TE position should they win on Monday night.

Now if the Rams get slapped around by the Bears and fall to 4-3, I might change my thinking. I said might.... No way would I trade Everett for a 4th round pick unless they fall to 4-4.

I'm assuming you consider the 3rd and 4th rounds as a mid round pick.

Yeah I was envisioning a round 4 pick. Is that likely? Probably not. I would not move him for whatever I can get, the guy is a valuable role player for us.

But I also like Mundt's blocking ability. The thing here is that McVay loves the explosive guys and I get that, but sometimes the lunchpail types mixed in can give you more consistent production. We keep waiting for Everett to explode and he's done it but not consistently. So at this point I'm thinking playoffs and hardass defensive fronts and how are we going to handle them and from that perspective I'd be comfortable with a pick now for Everett and a 3 man room with Hopkins getting some work in very limited quantity.

From the Rams' perspective this whole conversation probably revolves around Hopkins and how far he's come. But we don't know all that.

Also it's hard to say what McVay feels this team will be in six weeks. I think Jefferson is going to promote into that WR3 role and he's a better threat for the offense than Everett in the passing game, and that will affect Everett's value in remaining playing time too. But maybe McVay has a different expectation and that of course would be factored in too.

But also I did say I knew it wouldn't be popular.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The time to trade him came and went. He will definitely get paid to be a starter next year unless the cap crunch prevents it. Either way Hopkins was definitely drafted to replace him - no need to Hopkins to see the field, this redshirt year will do him some good.

He's once again stuck behind 3-4 guys for targets - so his numbers won't be great - but if Higbee goes down for any period of time, we will be very glad that we have him.

Btw this is a very fan thing to do:

(Everett traded in the off-season) "OMG Higbee is injured. Mundt is the starter? Why did we trade Everett?!!??!?"

(Everett not traded)
"Everett won't be here next year we should trade him now"

Let's be happy with the depth

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
We could look at Brycen as a Big slot receiver as well. He's got the tools.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with @Memento. Hopkins is soft and never really stood out. He's nowhere near Ever tech's level blocking, receiving, or with yac. Hopkins even had some drops trouble in college. I think Mundt is a better TE.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'll give Hopkins the benefit of the doubt, he's a rookie and TEs usually take a year or two to develop. I remember Higbee not making much of an impact at the TE receiving position until last season. Would be interested in converting him to a WR if he's not developing as a blocker, we could use a 6'5" receiver to contest catches in red zone situations but he'll need to overcome his current softness.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd trade Everett for a 4th in a second. Dont know why any team would do that though

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I see your point.;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see your point.;)
Mundt did get jacked pretty bad tonight though by Mack lol. Looked like a freshman trying to block varsity lmao. But yeah glad to see him get a chance to get out there.

This team may not win it all but by God they're a likeable bunch aren't they. :beer2: :cool: