The Film Don't Lie: What the Rams Must Fix/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
The Film Don't Lie: Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13063/the-film-dont-lie-rams-4

A weekly look at what the St. Louis Rams must fix:

The San Francisco 49ers just played the Rams in Week 6. Colin Kaepernick & Co. had plenty of success throwing the ball in that game, as he finished with 343 yards while completing 62.9 percent of his 35 pass attempts.

But if Kaepernick spent his bye week watching the Rams lose to the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, he will see that he can actually be more efficient and take fewer risks against the Rams. The key? Keep it short.

In the Rams' latest loss, Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith attempted 28 passes. He completed 24 of them for 226 yards. Of those 28 passes, just one -- a 14-yard completion to Dwayne Bowe -- traveled more than 10 yards in the air. In the process, Smith became the first quarterback to win a game without attempting multiple passes of more than 10 yards in the air since Week 8 of 2012.

And Smith's approach is nothing new. The Rams are 12th in the league in passing yards allowed per game at 231.71, but that number is wholly misleading. Because teams have had such success running the ball against the Rams, they haven't had to throw much -- but when they do, they are having a lot of success. The Rams rank 29th in the league in passer rating allowed (106) and last in completion percentage allowed (70.2) while facing the fewest passing attempts in the NFL (205).

Getting third-year starters Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson back from knee injuries would be helpful, but the Rams must also find a way to be more aggressive in coverage or teams will continue to nickel and dime them up and down the field.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The title of this bit makes Wagoner sound like a moron trying have street cred or something.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'd like a second opinion. This article makes it sound like the Rams aren't good at defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams' defense is improving against the run, and teams are going to need to throw on them in order to succeed. Which makes the health of Johnson and Jenks absolutely critical.

This team is not going to have a strong defense until both those guys are in the lineup. Plain and simple.

BTW re: safety play, if we are lucky Barron will give this backfield a boost at the same time the two CB vets return. That is our greatest hope for improvement.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Wagoner nailed it. If the D doesn't cover anyone for the first few seconds of a play the line never has a chance to make a play and we see exactly what has happened all year. It's just like what Walton did last year before he got trumped by Fisher except GW is using a lot of badly designed blitzes as well.

Slappy967

Starter
All the shit talk about our run defense when they have had only 1 teams leading rusher go for over 100 yards this far. Aaron Donald would have negated Demarco in that game but alas he was still "learning".

Alan

Legend
Our DBs are giving too much cushion and I think that's because WE STILL HAVE NO FS and we don't want to give up a big play.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wish I had the outlook you guys have. The defense I see on gamedays looks overmatched to me.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In today's NFL the FS has become far more important.

Guys like Eric Berry and Earl Thomas have proven invaluable to the rise of their respective teams.
Our defense looked somewhat professional when we had Quentin Mikell back there.

When we're better at FS and outside LBer, our defense can be a top 5-10 unit.

Alan

Legend
snackdaddy needing instructions:
Wish I had the outlook you guys have. The defense I see on game days looks overmatched to me.
Close your eyes, click your heels together and tell yourself we're the best.

You need to put on these ruby red boots first of course.
upload_2014-10-29_12-2-10.jpeg