The Falcons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
A couple interesting points...yesterday we faced the same offense we'll see next week. Although Shanahan has proven to be a better play caller than Sarkisian, the coach's preparation from last week should carry over quite a bit to this week. Our QB coach, Matt Lafleur, was Atlanta's QB coach last season so he should know a bit about Matt Ryan's strengths and weaknesses, their play-calling tendencies, etc.

Should we be fortunate enough to win on Saturday, it's back to Minnesota for a rematch. I'm excited for this game. I rewatched the first Rams-Vikings game over the weekend and came away with a couple thoughts. 1) We need to treat Keenum a bit like Russell Wilson. Keenum beat us with his feet the last time, almost more so than his arm. 2) Cover the short passes. Keenum doesn't throw deep often or very well. He likes to hit shallow crossing routes and dumps to the RBs. Occasionally, he'll hit Rudolf over the middle. Keep him in the pocket and don't let him out. Cover Thielen with Trumaine Johnson, not Dominique Hatfield. Enough said. 3) Run block better and feed the beast. We didn't run block very well the first game. Gurley had 15 carries and 3 catches in the first game. He needs at least ten more touches. I've been watching football for almost 50 years and honestly don't remember a RB running the screen better than Gurley has this season. He needs to be the focus of the offense, not Goff. I think McVay realizes that now. 4) Gang tackle. Watching the Vikings defense week in and week out, you see how they fly to the ball as a team. I think it was Lovie Smith who said something like he wanted 11 men meeting at the football every play. Watching the Rams defense, you'll always see a few guys STANDING around the ball carrier near the end of the play. Standing, not tackling. Re-watch our games and you'll see what I mean. The Vikings are all there TACKLING. That's a coaching point, not a reflection of how much better their players are than ours. 5) Realize that ANY play during the game could be the key play that makes or breaks the game. As Tom Landry once said, "Do what I say and we'll win the game." Go Rams!

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Getting way ahead of ourselves, no? Atlanta will be a big challenge. Vikings breakdowns next week.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Atlanta is solid against the run. A battle tested team with a lot of playoff success.

Rams have little to no playoff experience. Usually it takes a team a few years of making the playoffs to reach the top.

The betting line of Falcons +6 looks REALLY good.

Just saying.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Atlanta is solid against the run. Battle tested with a lot of playoff success.

Rams have little to no playoff experience. Usually it takes a team a few years of making the playoffs to reach the top.

The betting line of Falcons +6 looks REALLY good.

Just saying.
The Rams Falcon's could be a High scoring event, the O/U is 49 points! But in any event, in these Wild Card Games, I'll take the Home Teams!!(y);):D

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 99 rams didn’t have a lot of playoff experience either. The fact is we have a strong running game when McVay sticks with it, our passing game is strong if protection holds up our run defense is a lot better than the numbers show. I’m honestly more worried about them throwing the ball then running.

I believe we win this game and I don’t even think it’s close 34-17

Montanaramfan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My biggest fear is us covering their RBs out of the backfield. I keep having visions of Kamara burning Ogletree and it wasn't even close. I know their backs aren't quite as fast as Kamara but Ogletree has struggled covering them. I think we'll put pressure on Ryan with our front four. If not, Wade will have bo bring the blitz on occasion.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Pre Rams game Falcon :

9a58969805083ff8c1c9bfb972684e34.jpg

Post Rams game Falcon :

5236929238_ee76738803_b.jpg

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
A friend of mine is a professional sports gambler living in Las Vegas.

He said the opening line of Atlanta +5 was ridiculously high. It is up to 6 now This is a good sign for the Rams. With gamblers there is an sentiment that when a line is too good to be true take the other side.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
A friend of mine is a professional sports gambler living in Las Vegas.

He said the line of Atlanta +6 is ridiculously high. This is a good sign for the Rams. With gamblers there is an sentiment that when a line is too good to be true take the other side.
it would be falcons minus 6, eh?
train

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
The same indoor falcons playing the same Panthers at their outdoor field got Jobbed and even had Cam Newton run on them and dunked the football for a TD and that little #22 from Stanford they just throw screens too. He had a flippin field day. We are gonna tell em to bring the heat and we're gonna screen them all the way back to primetimes old house in hotlanta. They can't stop our screen game. Gurley gonna be catching all kinds of balls. Like that one in Dallas that went to the house. It's gonna be pretty bein rested on our O-Line. Plus AD & Brockers pushing the center back into Ryan. I see 3 turnovers by Ryan at least. GO RAMS!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
what we gonna do about vic beasley tho?:thinking:

Beasley's good and all, but the Falcons haven't had too good of a rush this year. I've watched several of their games and their defense runs well to the ball like Seattle, tackles well like Seattle, and has very good SS involvement, but they're not special on the rush.

I think our OL will do a good job Saturday night.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a cool look at Ryan's 2016 & 2017 charts...

passer-rating-vs-league-average_RYA238179_2016-reg-all_1504657671767.jpeg

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_RYA238179_2017-reg-all_1513895304473.jpeg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared's chart with all of 2017 in the bag:

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_GOF219636_2017-reg-all_1513895286521.jpeg

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Couple initial thoughts after watching the Saints/Falcons game back in Week 14.

Defensively, when Ryan drops back, we need to get great inside pressure from Donald / Brockers / Westbrooks / Walker. We need to push the pocket into him. He is no threat to run unless under great duress. When the Saints collapsed the pocket from the inside, Ryan struggled. The key is getting pressure on Ryan and forcing him into bad throws. Versus the run, we need to contain the edges. We can't let Freeman get out on the edge. They love to lead with a FB/TE outside and seemed to have good success vs. the Saints. It seemed like they run Coleman more between the tackles. Freeman's quickness/speed worries me when he gets into space. Contain, contain, contain. Gap integrity will be a huge emphasis this week from Phillips.

Offensively, we should be able to run outside zone with success. Screens will be huge due to the over aggressive tendency of their defense. Honestly, we should be able to handle their D-Line in pass pro. If they key on Gurley, play action pass will be huge. I will say Jones is going to be a handful. He is the real deal, but he's not quite Bobby Wagner. I am confident, McVay will be able to expose their weaknesses and we should be able to move the ball. The key is to keep them off-balance.

I plan on watching their other games from the final 3 weeks to hopefully gain some additional insight to the falcons.

From an injury standpoint, the falcons have some key players dealing with injuries. Taylor Gabriel (WR/KR) hamstring (questionable), Alex Mack (C) calf (questionable), Andy Levitre (G) tricep (questionable), Wes Schweitzer (G) groin (questionable) and Adrian Clayborn (DE) strained calf (questionable).

The Ramowl

Starter
Their offense doesn't seem very inspired now that Shanny left, but Matt Ryan in a good day can be extremely dangerous and I think he will show up.
IMHO, if we get to him, we win the game. If their OL keeps a clean pocket most of the game we are very much in trouble. Aaron Donald, you know what you have to do