The elephant in the room or on the field..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Reading all this discussion on Goff's development this year, it brings up fact that were all wanting to find indisputable proof that Goff has arrived- or at least I do!

It seems a lot of the so called NFL "experts" that were all calling him a bust last year are now changing their tune! Dont get me wrong I was worried myself, I just thought he deserved a shot considering the state of the team last year.
My concern now, I'm worried that after having a year of studying and analyzing McVay and Goff, defenses are going to be better prepared to play us. Is Goff going to be able to over come this!?

I want to believe this kid that's done all the right things and can turn the corner and be our "franchise"! We deserve it right, how long has it been since we've had some watchable football!? The thing that scare me is:

Nick Foles, RGlll, and Ryan Fitzpatrick to name a few one hit wonders!

So please, someone tell me that we've seen enough from him that we dont have to worry about him being added to this list!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
There's not much new information to go on when it comes to defending Jared Goff. Stop the run and put pressure on him consistently and he will not do as well. This is true for most any quarterback.

Defenses eventually adjust to run-option quarterbacks like RGIII and Colin Kaepernick. This is why their stats progressively go down after a few seasons. They are one-trick ponies, Jared Goff is not.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think McVay's strategy of making defenses "defend every blade of grass" bodes well for Goff's future. That, and playing with a dominant back like Gurley also is a benefit. Defenses can try to shut down one aspect of the Rams scheme but they can't shut it all down. There will always be an opening to exploit.

So I think at the very worst, Goff will be a successful, mid-tier quarterback distributing the ball in a well coached offense.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Little early if you’re asking for “indisputable” evidence regarding Goff.

But I’ll say this much.

Plenty for Rams fans to like about the kid this season.

He’s miles ahead of where he was last year. He’s surrounded by outstanding coaches and now blessed with 10 other teammates on O that make his job a helluva lot easier.

I’m feeling pretty damned good about our QB situation right now, tbh.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I concur the Rams have a young riser in Goff, the backup Mannion is alluring albeit this might be his last season and Brandon Allen, who offers something different from the other two. Sean Mannion will get a chance to be signed as a free agent, with an opportunity to start could see him in Miami and Allen would be the primary backup next year.

As to Goff, one game at a time and again under McVay, LaFleur & Greg Olson I believe strongly the QB position will be a position of strength for many years to come.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are too many variables for a DCoordinator to destroy Goff. Having a similar look of a play, but can run or pass from the same look (and variations of the type of run and pass) will make it very difficult for opposing defenses to deal with. Plus, I think McVay will feature guys like Everrett and Watkins more for the 2nd half of the season. Gurley will still be the relief valve, and will be critical in the Pass game as well as the run game vs the Giants. The Giants can't handle TE's that well, what about a gifted receiving RB like Gurley? Different looking playbook is about to be unleashed by McVay.
Rams are going to the playoffs, and McVay will be Coach of the Year.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
He’s miles ahead of where he was last year. He’s surrounded by outstanding coaches and now blessed with 10 other teammates on O that make his job a helluva lot easier.

I look at Goff this way. THIS is his first season. Last season doesn't count because

1: He did not get any NFL level QB coaching or constructive experience last season

2: He had to learn a new offense when McVay became coach.

As much as I'm loving the ride we're having this season, I really look forward to Goff's play next season. He'll have had two complete training camps and offseasons in the same offense with outstanding coaches and a season of NFL play. I hope he goes to that QB guru again to fine tune the little things like he did last year.

I think the Rams are set at QB for a LONG LONG time. :yess:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
why did Kurt Warner get better?

Because he played a LOT of football.....

Camp with the Packers

Arena League

NFL Europe

Goff shows an upward trajectory of development....play a lot of football!

The extra practices and games of a Playoff run would do wonders for a kid that had never huddled and never taken snaps from center.

I saw somewhere that Goff had taken almost twice as many snaps under center this year over last year.

Play a lot of football.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
All he needed was a good Shepherd to guide and protect him.

04.03-2_0.jpg

usatsi_10290065.jpg

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame

Don't think he's going to join that company.

Right now he's a talented young QB who has come a long way from last year but is still a ways off from joining the elite at his position. How far he eventually will ascend is up to him.

There will be gains, significant gains in his and the Rams progression. There will also be rough patches, bad games, underwhelming playoff games, maybe even an entire season where Goff and the Rams offense never completely gets on track. We might have started this season 5-2 but that doesn't mean we won't start 3-4 next year or the year after. You have to accept that because that's how it goes. With the exception of only the very elite, no player or team consistently runs roughshod over the NFL. Talent is too evenly dispersed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Goff has said he did some "Self-Scouting" during the Bye week. I wonder what adjustments he's made! I can't wait to see them in the Giants game!(y);):D Is it time for his 1st 4 TD passing game!?!o_O

Ram65

Legend
My concern now, I'm worried that after having a year of studying and analyzing McVay and Goff, defenses are going to be better prepared to play us. Is Goff going to be able to over come this!?

They have a good amount of video on him already. McVay will always be tweaking the offense and putting in new plays. It comes down to execution a lot of the time. Woods, Kupp, Higbee, Thomas, Reynold Everett and Gurley will grow with Goff.

So please, someone tell me that we've seen enough from him that we dont have to worry about him being added to this list!

Goff has both the physical talent and mental ability to get better each year. . These others had limited abilities in certain areas. The more he sees defenses the more he will learn and the better he will get. Goff has demonstrated that he is willing to put forth the effort to excel. Combine this with the young talent mentioned above and there is no doubt that Goff will get better moving forward.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Yeah sorry but anyone who still hasn't figured out that Jared Goff is and HAS been (smh my freaking head) all along the real deal...well you're not very keen talent evaluators, and frankly...

I really can't understand, all the signs were there, whiners gonna whine tho

Carry on

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Goff has said he did some "Self-Scouting" during the Bye week. I wonder what adjustments he's made! I can't wait to see them in the Giants game!(y);):D Is it time for his 1st 4 TD passing game!?!o_O
im just hoping he and the receiving corps utilized the time off wisely

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
im just hoping he and the receiving corps utilized the time off wisely

Yep, this. I think many of us will settle for 1 TD pass and a Rams win.

side note: but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be ecstatic seeing 4, I just never have those expectations.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff has arrived, and he's only going to get better. If Sammy Watkins gets his shit together for the second-half of the season, our pass offense is going to be very difficult to stop.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Reading all this discussion on Goff's development this year, it brings up fact that were all wanting to find indisputable proof that Goff has arrived- or at least I do!

It seems a lot of the so-called NFL "experts" that were all calling him a bust last year are now changing their tune! Don't get me wrong I was worried myself, I just thought he deserved a shot considering the state of the team last year.
My concern now, I'm worried that after having a year of studying and analyzing McVay and Goff, defenses are going to be better prepared to play us. Is Goff going to be able to overcome this!?

I want to believe this kid that's done all the right things and can turn the corner and be our "franchise"! We deserve it right, how long has it been since we've had some watchable football!? The thing that scare me is:

So please, someone tell me that we've seen enough from him that we don't have to worry about him being added to this list!

When you have an offensive mind that's willing to adjust to what defenses do, it's hard for defenses to adjust.

Defenses eventually got to Martz not because he was figured out, but because his system REQUIRED him to expose his QB to brutal punishment while making ridiculous throws. Warner could do it and Bulger was pretty darn good at it, too.

The WCO requires weapons and a quick processing QB who can be accurate. Yeah, you had Joe Montana/Steve Young, but they had Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Dwight Clark and a pass-catching RB in Roger Craig. Without the weapons to FORCE the D to make choices and a QB that can make a defense pay for it, it falls apart.

The reason teams "figured out" the WCO wasn't because it was figured out, but because with it being the easiest to install and having lots of proponents, it was run with less than creative Offensive minds who didn't have enough QB or weapons to make defenses pay. Of all the offenses, without what's needed, the WCO can be shut down the easiest.

And as bad as the Rams O was in 2014 under Schotty, as it morphed from his Coryell/WCO hybrid to more WCO without what was needed to run it (especially the play calling and OL support), the Rams ended up with a historically bad offense.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I don't think Goff has arrived, and I mean that in a good way, he's close though. He's a young QB who had to adjust to a pro system, and he's only played 14 games. I've said this before, I think it'll be next season when Goff fully "arrives/makes the leap". He's playing well enough now for the Rams to win games, and that's all that matters.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I look at Goff this way. THIS is his first season. Last season doesn't count because

1: He did not get any NFL level QB coaching or constructive experience last season

2: He had to learn a new offense when McVay became coach.

As much as I'm loving the ride we're having this season, I really look forward to Goff's play next season. He'll have had two complete training camps and offseasons in the same offense with outstanding coaches and a season of NFL play. I hope he goes to that QB guru again to fine tune the little things like he did last year.

I think the Rams are set at QB for a LONG LONG time. :yess:
Agree. I mentioned this about a week ago. I don't believe much of the 180 degree turnaround we're seeing from JG derives from that 1st to 2nd year improvement at all. He'll take that proverbial leap next year.