The Early and Late Games - Week 17

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000898396/article/nfl-playoffclinching-scenarios-for-week-17

NFL playoff-clinching scenarios for Week 17

This is it. We're on the cusp of Week 17, when the playoff scenarios become labyrinthine and the postseason comes down to one scenario of a matrix of possibilities. Some teams are simply win and they're in (Baltimore, Tennessee), while others need some help (Buffalo, Seattle).

You could spend time assembling a wall full of possibilities -- or you could make life easier on yourself by scrolling down to read the breakdown. Besides, there are Christmas cookies to eat.

AFC

CLINCHED: Pittsburgh -- AFC North and first-round bye; New England -- AFC East and a first-round bye; Jacksonville -- AFC South; Kansas City -- AFC West

NEW ENGLAND
New England clinches home-field advantage throughout AFC playoffs:

1) NE win
2) PIT loss
3) NE tie + PIT tie

PITTSBURGH STEELERS
Pittsburgh clinches home-field advantage throughout AFC playoffs:

1) PIT win + NE loss or tie
2) PIT tie + NE loss

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Baltimore clinches a playoff berth:

1) BAL win or tie
2) BUF loss or tie
3) TEN loss or tie

TENNESSEE TITANS
Tennessee clinches a playoff berth:

1) TEN win
2) TEN tie + BUF loss or tie + LAC loss or tie
3) BUF loss + LAC loss

LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
L.A. Chargers clinch a playoff berth:

1) LAC win + TEN loss or tie + BUF loss or tie
2) LAC win + TEN loss or tie + BAL win or tie
3) LAC tie + TEN loss + BUF loss or tie

BUFFALO BILLS
Buffalo clinches a playoff berth:

1) BUF win + BAL loss
2) BUF win + LAC loss or tie + TEN loss or tie
3) BUF tie + LAC loss + TEN loss

NFC

CLINCHED: Philadelphia -- NFC East, home-field advantage and first-round bye; Minnesota -- NFC North; L.A. Rams -- NFC West; New Orleans -- Playoff berth; Carolina -- Playoff berth

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Minnesota clinches a first-round bye:

1) MIN win or tie
2) CAR loss or tie
3) NO win
4) LA Rams win

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
New Orleans clinches NFC South:

1) NO win
2) CAR loss
3) NO tie + CAR tie

CAROLINA PANTHERS
Carolina clinches NFC South:

1) CAR win + NO loss or tie
2) CAR tie + NO loss

Carolina clinches a first-round bye:

1) CAR win + NO loss or tie + MIN loss + LAR loss or tie

ATLANTA FALCONS
Atlanta clinches a playoff berth:

1) ATL win
2) SEA loss
3) ATL tie + SEA tie

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Seattle clinches a playoff berth:

1) SEA win + ATL loss or tie
2) SEA tie + ATL loss

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/264057/nfl-playoff-picture-whats-at-stake-in-week-17

NFL playoff picture: What's at stake in Week 17

I'll be straight with you: Week 17 won't be as interesting as Week 16.

Only three of the NFL's 12 playoff spots remain unclaimed. Seven of the eight division titles are decided, as are three of the four first-round byes. Still, here is everything you need to know about the lingering drama, which will all be played out in two relatively equal time slots Sunday afternoon.

i
i

AFC home-field advantage will be decided early
The AFC path to Super Bowl LII will go through New England if the Patriots beat the New York Jets in Foxborough. But if they lose, the Pittsburgh Steelerscan leapfrog them for the No. 1 seed with a win at home over the 0-15 Cleveland Browns. Both games kick off at 1 p.m. ET. The distinction between the No. 1 and No. 2 seed has been significant in the four most recent postseasons. According to ESPN Stats & Information, seven of the eight No. 1 seeds since 2013 reached the Super Bowl. The Philadelphia Eagles already have clinched the NFC's home-field advantage.

i

The Minnesota Vikings will (likely) lock up a first-round bye, win or lose
The Vikings have a 99.6 percent chance of grabbing the final first-round bye, according to ESPN's Football Power Index (FPI). They can clinch it with a home victory over the Chicago Bears (5-10), or with help from one of three teams in the following scenarios: 1) If the Atlanta Falcons defeat the Carolina Panthers; 2) the New Orleans Saints beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers; or 3) the Los Angeles Rams defeat the San Francisco 49ers. (The Rams announced they will rest key players, but the other two games should be competitive.)

i
i

The NFC South will be decided late
The Saints have the cleanest path to the last remaining division title. They can clinch it with a victory over the Buccaneers. But if they lose, the Panthers can win it by defeating the Falcons. The advantage, of course, is getting a home playoff game in the wild-card round. Both games kick off at 4:25 p.m. ET. If New Orleans and Carolina lose, the Saints are the division champions.

i

The Panthers have a slim chance for the No. 2 seed
As noted above, there are all kinds of reasonable scenarios that put the Vikings at No. 2. But the Panthers could sneak up there with a victory over the Falcons -- as long as the Saints, Vikings and Rams all lose. Then, the Panthers would win a head-to-head tiebreaker with Minnesota at 12-4 thanks to their Week 14 victory over the Vikings. (The Saints can't win a similar tiebreaker because they lost to the Vikings in Week 1. The same goes for the Rams, who lost to the Vikings in Week 11.)

i
i

The NFC's second wild card will be ...
The Falcons, if they defeat the Panthers at home, or if the Seahawks lose to the Cardinals at home (or both). But if the Falcons lose, the Seahawks can jump into the No. 6 spot with a win over the Cardinals. To be clear: If the Falcons and the Seahawks lose, Atlanta would be the wild-card team.

i

The AFC's wild-card picture is larger
Four teams are fighting for the two remaining spots, with two holding a decisive advantage. The Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans are both in if they win their respective games. But if the Ravens lose at home to the Cincinnati Bengals or the Titans fall at home to the Jacksonville Jaguars, then the door opens for the Los Angeles Chargers or the Buffalo Bills. Rather than try to spell out the multiple outcomes necessary for either of those outside teams to clinch, I'll pass along this awesome graphic the NFL published to explain it. The entire block of relevant games kicks off at 4:25 p.m. ET, so make sure to get your bathroom breaks in early.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boy if the Bears shock the world and beat the Vikings, the late games would get pretty interesting

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It looks like all the meaningful games are in the later game slots!

That kind of caught me by surprise.

Anyone know if there were schedule changes to make that happen?

I guess the logic could be to keep the teams playing all out if they have something on the line... as opposed to the late game teams adjusting strategy pending the early outcomes.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
we only really care about the falcons v panthers and seahawks v cardinals right

Ram65

Legend
I'm watching the Eagles Vs Cowgirls.

Demarcus Lawrence getting pressure. Eagle get stop on 4th and less than a yard after Cowgirls stop Eagles on 4th and 7 after Torry Smith drop. It's cold very cold.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Vikings and Pats both up early in their games.

These early games probably are going to be lame.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm watching the Eagles Vs Cowgirls.

Demarcus Lawrence getting pressure. Eagle get stop on 4th and less than a yard after Cowgirls stop Eagles on 4th and 7 after Torry Smith drop. It's cold very cold.

Maybe I should tune to that one.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What happened to Foles..........I'm on Buffstream watching and he isn't in the game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What happened to Foles..........I'm on Buffstream watching and he isn't in the game.
I guess 30+ yards passing and an INT was all they needed to see in Philly? lol....If I listen closely, the meltdown commences over Nick Foles...ha!

Ram65

Legend

The Nate Sudfeld era begins at the beginning of the 2nd quarter.

Foles was not good at 4-11 39 yards 1 INT. Had some pressure but, didn't look good. Torry Smith drop stopped some mo on first drive.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Man, Cleveland really wants that perfect season. Down 14-0 to Steeler backups and it could be worse.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Benched! QB controversy in Philly! JK he was taken out for Sudfield, likely they meant to but he really didn't look good at all.