The Devil is in the Details

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Here is what will make this season the beginning of something special like 1999. Not the same...but similar. There may not be the instant gratification of "The Tackle", but it will reflect the extended excitement of the GSOT and beyond.

Initially and foremost, McVay is a combination of the passion of DV (without the tears and experience), the intellect and creativity of Martz, and his own unique exposure to several family and professional relationships that form his football identity combined with the youthful energy we get to have at 31 and I know wanes now that I'm 52. He lives, studies, and breathes football while paying attention to the other factors that affect a team socially, psychologically, media wise, financially, and in terms of how people learn things. That's a TON to process and filter. This is the kind of genius I've seen in leaders named Lombardi, Wooden, Krzyzewski, LaRussa, Walsh, Churchill, and Phil Jackson. For all the obvious differences, the similarities should be obvious though he's at a relatively early stage in his development.

The next step to greatness is the support of his teaching staff. Wade Phillips is the obvious choice asset at DC but Kromer may be even more important as he produced the top rushing offense with the Bills WITHOUT a credible passing game...Woods and Watkins notwithstanding. By adding Olsen and LeFluer, he exceeds Martz by trusting experienced, intelligent input. Hell, he even retained Bones though he was the interim and listens intently to him during live action. McVay's emotional intelligence to humble himself in the heat of battle is unprecedented in my athletic observations.

In '99, the Rams were coming off 4 wins and were written off by ALL media, including the local sportswriters. It wasn't until the Rams beat the 9'ers that the media jumped on the bandwagon. Unless the '17 Rams beat the Cowboys AND Seahawks the next two weeks, the media will fail to recognize what's happening. My point is that long term success is inevitable EVEN IF they lose both games...though I believe they won't. But now it's time to evaluate the players.

The primary target of media pundits concerning the Rams begins with Jared Goff. Today the feeling is that he's Alex Smith incarnate. Given great weapons, he can succeed. Given a sh*t show OL and WR's and he's less than ordinary. McVay turned the ordinary Cousins into someone you need to franchise tag in order to keep. That's what MOST people can hope he will do with Goff. Allow me to segue to say I preferred Wentz and always will, but McVay can make Jared into the next Bartkowski/Gabriel/Ryan/Testaverde. Others may consider that statement a slam but I hold each of those QB's in high regard. Allow me to take it a step further, if Goff stayed with Fisher...he would have a career similar to Manning...not Peyton nor Eli...I mean Archie. We beat the hell out of the AIN'TS for years, but it wasn't Archie's fault.

Now we move on to the rest of the offense. When you get crushed .0034 seconds after you get a handoff several times a game, even if your name is Todd Gurley, Walter Payton, or Sam Bam Cunningham, you're screwed. Get a scheme, blocking, and a legit passing game...and suddenly you will remember how to be a running back. Replace an athletically gifted but intellectually and emotionally fragile LT with a stalwart in the mold of Slater and Pace, and I suppose a QB can stop looking over his left shoulder to anticipate the next disaster. Get a center that doesn't get walked or run back to the QB/RB every other play and I guess things will improve. Take away a Britt and Quick and replace them with a Watkins and Woods, and I suppose there might be a difference. When you learn that Kupp and Everett will both develop into Pro Bowl caliber players...how could anyone doubt future explosive success?

Of course it's now time to address the defense that is in MAJOR TRANSITION. Everyone's favorite Ram: AARON DONALD, is playing for a contract elsewhere. If an agreement was possible, we'd have it by now. The question going forward is if he can deliver a SB win this last year in LA. We hope so. But as he dominates, his trade value will remake this unit. Tru is priced out like AD. Ogletree is a miscast WIL in a 4/3 and he hasn't played there in two years. Amazingly, in spite of past production and current perception, almost everyone else is subject to replacement other than, IMO, Brockers and Joyner. The 2000 Ram defense was blamed on the coordinator, and rightfully so. This year, Phillips will Band-Aid this unit much like Marinelli did last year in Dallas. My fingers are crossed. But mark my words...next year the D will see major overhaul and Wade Phillips is the perfect guy to identify who comes and goes. They resigned Westbrooks (I wouldn't) and I suspect Longacre will survive. While I root for the rest, I do so suspecting that Wade and Snead are scouting defensive players in college and the rest of the NFL.

I may be an outlier, but save this post like someone did in '15 on GROB and tell me I'm wrong...

Zodi

Hall of Fame
It all sounds great, and I love what McVay has done with this team so far-- and without a first round pick, mind you.

However, we still need to beat the good teams, especially on a national stage. A win over Dallas in their house would be incredible. Then say, if we were to stomp the Seahags, too... that would go a long way. I just want us to be competitive in every game, and in the playoffs.

Honestly, I think I'd much rather have that year in and year out instead of a three year flash like the GSOT, even though it was a once in a generation type of sports event. I feel like the GSoT was a lot of good luck and things falling into the right place at the right moment. I hope we make our own luck under McVay.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Like you said I think there will be quite a bit of turnover on the defense this offseason.

I still believe that Wade will more than band-aid fix this defense. There is just too much talent amongst the players and the coaching staff.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is the kind of genius I've seen in leaders named Lombardi, Wooden, Krzyzewski, LaRussa, Walsh, Churchill, and Phil Jackson.

Pump the brakes a little LOL.

But your points oin the D are great. Though Donald and the Rams may end up putting something together. If not he's here for 3 more seasons anyway unless he decides to tank.

I feel like the GSoT was a lot of good luck and things falling into the right place at the right moment.

Looking back now almost 2 decades later that's ALL it was. Good luck and everything falling into place.

It took some dumbass shit to fuck that all up. Really, really high level bungling.

Ram65

Legend
Of course it's now time to address the defense that is in MAJOR TRANSITION

Amazingly, in spite of past production and current perception, almost everyone else is subject to replacement other than, IMO, Brockers and Joyner.

I thought the current defense would be very good. Expected more from Quinn. Donald still getting back in football shape. Barron played better but, Barwin looks old. Webster needs to show why he was signed. I agree Brokers and Joyner are are keepers. Joyner may need another week or so to get healthy. I think they all step their game this week. Controlling the line of scrimmage would be a nice start. Still time to show what they can do.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Understand the fear and trepidation.
I really do - 55 years and counting.

But, BUT....

this ain't your father's Oldsmobile boys. I will go to my grave thinking the NFL is 90% attitude and belief in yourself and your mates, and we got that.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Here is what will make this season the beginning of something special like 1999. Not the same...but similar. and tell me I'm wrong...
Dude, love the post; love it!

You prefer Wentz still, that surprised me a bit:I have seen every throw this season, and most last season; he has sooo many skills that Goff doesn't have; and he definitly has some Favre in him, and a strong arm, but maybe not an accurate arm. He is not a great natural thrower, at all, in my opinion (like Bartwski, V Testaverde, Rogers, J George), while Goff is a golden armed thrower. Wentz's arm is way overrated. He did great as a rookie with very few snaps with the first team etc....

I prefered Goff during the draft process, and in 2017, evem more so, as I examine Wentz (below is my opinion, bro)
Some Went observations form his first 3 games:
Wentz has thrown a lot (!) of balls at 4-8 yards off the line of scrimmage, and they aren't place so well like Goff.
*He throws many other passes in suspect locations
*He is great in the pocket, and has great escapability/power to improvise great running and long passes from his scrambles.He is near someone like Rogers...kinda near, but not too near (lol)
*I am not sure he going through his progressions like Goff is now. His rep is 'very' intelligent. Well, Goff had a 3.6 at Cal, so that is pretty intelligent; also, Goff does not look overwhelmed at all. So, Wentz's reputation is stellar, while we are still discovering who Goff is a 'reactor/thinker/processor in the pocket. Goff seems to be rising. Wentz seems to be leveling out.
*He stays n the pocket like Kurt Warner and BUlger....after 5 years of that he will need a break....really, look what happened to those 2 guys after 4-5 years of Martz.
*Overall, I see Wentz, at best, as always just south of the pro bowl type of QB. I don't he has what Matt Ryan showed in his 2nd year, or what R Wilson had in his 2nd...though, he looks a lot better than Brady ever looked in his 2nd year.

Really, I don't like Wentz in comparison to Goff; and would take many others over Wentz.

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It all sounds great, and I love what McVay has done with this team so far-- and without a first round pick, mind you.

When you bring in Whitworth, Woods and Watkins in the offseason - you don't need a first round pick. This has been the best offseason FA action that I can remember in NFL since I've been a fan.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
It's hard to think about another group of guys like Warner, Bruce, Faulk, Holt. Those guys, with others, of course, were something very special.
When Warner and Faulk came in the Rams were 200/1 to win the Superbowl that year.
I looked at the roster and thought it was a pretty good each way bet.
However, with the NFL media having none of it I decided not to take that bet.
Its why I don't bet on the Rams, a good luck charm if you will.

There's plenty of good signs that we have something special on offence again. There's still plenty of tests to come but the outlook is bright.
The thing is with this season, even though we're only 3 weeks in, I think every team looks beatable.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Good points on the defense. Hopefully he can scheme enough with the personnel we have to make us respectable. Also, how salty and silly do Martz' comments on McVay sound about now? Still surprised by that shit.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
When you bring in Whitworth, Woods and Watkins in the offseason - you don't need a first round pick. This has been the best offseason FA action that I can remember in NFL since I've been a fan.

Good point. I don't think anyone anticipated starting the season with a guy like Watkins on our roster, though. That's huge.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Good point. I don't think anyone anticipated starting the season with a guy like Watkins on our roster, though. That's huge.

I was gutted when we didn't get Garçon, hoping he'd come to us because of McVay - but Woods AND Watkins blows Garçon out of the stadium

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Appreciate the write up Bro! I was all in until the last paragraph on the D. I really think we're experiencing some growing pains with the 3-4 transition. This isn't new in a Wade transitional D. Look back at past first year Wade D's and you will find similar growing pains. I'll reserve judgement till about week 8.