The debate to end all debates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Donut Wars

• Chocolate Cruller for the win

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Jelly - It's not even close

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
X said:
steferfootball said:
I wish I had a donut right now.

Chocolate filled, lemon filling....just about anything. Though I draw the line at mayo or ketchup filling.
You like those maple icing donuts?

Cuz those just flat out suck.

:slap!:

I agree with you X, no such thing as lemon jelly. That's a meringue or cream.

As for the debate... Chocolate crushes jelly donuts.

.... But maple icing donuts are amazing. Quixote you need to check out frost donuts in Mill Creek WA. Mmmm bacon maple bars

june06_donut.jpg
That just looks wrong. But... I'm not averse to trying new things. I had one of those Crispy Creme Cheeseburgers at a fair last year, and it wasn't half-bad. My intestines didn't share the sentiment, but my taste-buds were on board.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
libertadrocks said:
X said:
steferfootball said:
I wish I had a donut right now.

Chocolate filled, lemon filling....just about anything. Though I draw the line at mayo or ketchup filling.
You like those maple icing donuts?

Cuz those just flat out suck.

:slap!:

I agree with you X, no such thing as lemon jelly. That's a meringue or cream.

As for the debate... Chocolate crushes jelly donuts.

.... But maple icing donuts are amazing. Quixote you need to check out frost donuts in Mill Creek WA. Mmmm bacon maple bars

june06_donut.jpg

All right... Can we put this whole meringue thing to bed? Meringue is the whipped egg white topping that is browned atop a lemon pie in turn MAKING it a Lemon Meringue Pie. Also, the lemon jelly filling is not a cream as there is absolutely no dairy in it. However, many lemon jelly fillings, like their other fruit counterparts, DO have things like starch or gelatin or pectin - making them by definition more closely affiliated with jelly than cream and certainly nothing even close to a meringue. Conversely, lemon filling - ala the afore mentioned Lemon Meringue Pie is a lemon custard made by combining lemon juice and sugar with the egg yolks you carefully kept away from the egg whites to make the afore mentioned meringue. Then that mixture is generally baked to form a custard like substance. Bye the way, even a tiny amount of that egg yoke getting in with the egg whites will make a meringue that won't fluff. How many of your moms bake their jelly? None you say? You'd be correct. This is why you have donut shops selling Lemon JELLY donuts. Even if they call it filling, it is every bit as much jelly as the god awful cherry or berry ones they no doubt sell right along side the Lemon JELLY filled donuts. Oh... and any donut with maple on it is just plain disgusting. Even bacon can't save them. :7up:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
This is why you have donut shops selling Lemon JELLY donuts. Even if they call it filling, it is every bit as much jelly as the god awful cherry or berry ones they no doubt sell right along side the Lemon JELLY filled donuts.
Funny. I've heard people order a "jelly donut" at Dunkin Donuts, and never once heard the server say "What kind?"

Know why?

Because there's only one kind of jelly donut. The one with jelly. The others are called "cherry filled' "raspberry filled" "creme filled", "chocolate filled" and "lemon filled."

Pwned.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
This is why you have donut shops selling Lemon JELLY donuts. Even if they call it filling, it is every bit as much jelly as the god awful cherry or berry ones they no doubt sell right along side the Lemon JELLY filled donuts.
Funny. I've heard people order a "jelly donut" at Dunkin Donuts, and never once heard the server say "What kind?"

Know why?

Because there's only one kind of jelly donut. The one with jelly. The others are called "cherry filled' "raspberry filled" "creme filled", "chocolate filled" and "lemon filled."

Pwned.

Huh. Must be a swampland thing. I have often ordered Lemon JELLY donuts and got EXACTLY what I asked for. Pwned indeed. :nice:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:

Know why?

Pwned.

Huh. Must be a swampland thing. I have often ordered Lemon JELLY donuts and got EXACTLY what I asked for. Pwned indeed. :nice:
That's my point. You said the word "LEMON."

The server probably just thought to him/herself, "Lemon jelly? WTF is that?" But they heard the word "Lemon" and through the powers of their deductive reasoning, got you a lemon FILLED donut. Lucky for you, most people are able to decipher ridiculous statements like lemon jelly.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:

Know why?

Pwned.

That's my point. You said the word "LEMON."

The server probably just thought to him/herself, "Lemon jelly? WTF is that?" But they heard the word "Lemon" and through the powers of their deductive reasoning, got you a lemon FILLED donut. Lucky for you, most people are able to decipher ridiculous statements like lemon jelly.
The donut shops I've been to have their jelly donuts, of various fillings, set together. Thus it is very important to indicate the flavor you want. That does not make lemon mutually exclusive from the other jelly varieties.

See, X, if you wanted to start this poll correctly, you should have said, "Chocolate Cruller vs Jelly Donut, excepting lemon." Then we wouldn't have derailed this thread with the lemon jelly debate, or thrown in disgusting alternatives like ketchup and mayo. :sick:

Maple bars or okay. I have to be in the mood for them. As a kid I used to LOVE them, and the guys at my old work insisted on maple bars from Chuck's.

I dunno about maple and bacon. I prefer to keep sweets and protein separated.

steferfootball

Starter
I would like to thank my good friend Megan H. from Bellingham, WA for being the deciding voice in the debate.

[url=http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-jelly-donut-pleasanton:5djw3vq2]Megan H from Bellingham said:
Best Donuts in Pleasanton!! Can't be beat. Every kind you can imagine always fresh and warm, Light and fluffy. Lemon Jelly is my favorite and is sometimes hard to locate, they always have them here! Plus they fill them with cream or custard if you want. Delicous, been going here since was a kid

I've known Megan H. from Bellingham, WA for, like, ever. I'm glad she could come through in the clutch for me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Google "Lemon-Filled Donut" and you get the authority on donuts as the first result.
Notice there is no word "jelly" nested between lemon and donut.

d2c8687fc1854e388ecef6c.png

Now. Borrowing your logic (and other donut aficionados from the WA area), anytime you plug a donut full of filling, it's automatically a jelly donut. Hence the ketchup and mayonnaise references. Doesn't matter that what's being put in the donut isn't jelly, we should just call it a jelly donut anyway. That's the protocol as I understand it. Fine. Let's go with that. Here's a video of custard being injected into what should now be known as a chocolate custard jelly donut.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD4IDknMwx0[/youtube]

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
Google "Lemon-Filled Donut" and you get the authority on donuts as the first result.

Now. Borrowing your logic (and other donut aficionados from the WA area), anytime you plug a donut full of filling, it's automatically a jelly donut. Hence the ketchup and mayonnaise references. Doesn't matter that what's being put in the donut isn't jelly, we should just call it a jelly donut anyway. That's the protocol as I understand it. Fine. Let's go with that. Here's a video of custard being injected into what should now be known as a chocolate custard jelly donut.

As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

I sense a chink in the armor. Bye the way... a custard filled donut is a custard filled donut - NEVER to be confused with a JELLY donut. Custard donuts are killer as long as you have a good chocolate on it. That particular one would have kicked that masculine challenged cruller's ass in my book too. Hard call between it and a lemon JELLY donut though. Those kick ass - y'know... like the lemon JELLY ones up in WA.

steferfootball

Starter
RamFan503 said:
X said:

I sense a chink in the armor. Bye the way... a custard filled donut is a custard filled donut - NEVER to be confused with a JELLY donut. Custard donuts are killer as long as you have a good chocolate on it. That particular one would have kicked that masculine challenged cruller's ass in my book too. Hard call between it and a lemon JELLY donut though. Those kick ass - y'know... like the lemon JELLY ones up in WA.
I sense no such thing. Lemon jelly is just too good for x. He has become delerious because of lack of lemon jelly filling.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, well, just because Donna and some other chick from WA like to misrepresent all jelly donuts by calling the ones filled with lemon goo, a lemon jelly donut, doesn't make it a jelly donut. It's still a lemon FILLED donut. It would be like if someone from North Dakota who had a donut shop and had a different word for Cruller. Like, for instance, calling it a chocolate pinwheel. That's all well and good, but the rest of the free world knows it as a cruller.

And. The rest of the free world knows that lemon filling isn't jelly. Except for Donna, some chick from WA, and Stu. :razzed: :bg:

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
Yeah, well, just because Donna and some other chick from WA like to misrepresent all jelly donuts by calling the ones filled with lemon goo, a lemon jelly donut, doesn't make it a jelly donut. It's still a lemon FILLED donut. It would be like if someone from North Dakota who had a donut shop and had a different word for Cruller. Like, for instance, calling it a chocolate pinwheel. That's all well and good, but the rest of the free world knows it as a cruller.

And. The rest of the free world knows that lemon filling isn't jelly. Except for Donna, some chick from WA, and Stu. :razzed: :bg:
Hey! don't call her some "chick"! Her name is Megan H. from Bellingham, WA. I've known Megan H. from Bellingham, WA for a long time. She'd be mad if you called her a chick.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
steferfootball said:
X said:

Hey! don't call her some "chick"! Her name is Megan H. from Bellingham, WA. I've known Megan H. from Bellingham, WA for a long time. She'd be mad if you called her a chick.
lol. My sincerest apologies to Megan H. :oops:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Bavarian creme-filled donuts with chocolate icing kick the collective arses of every other donut - including lemon jelly/lemon-filled.

Yes, I'm totally trying to derail the thread even more.

steferfootball

Starter
Memento said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:

d2c8687fc1854e388ecef6ca.png

Bavarian creme-filled donuts with chocolate icing kick the collective arses of every other donut - including lemon jelly/lemon-filled.

This man knows.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Memento said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Can't really say I disagree with you here. And I noted that you didn't even mention that quiche eater's desert - the cruller. Of course if we are going with total awesomeness, a chocolate eclair is just ethereal in its goodness. They qualify as a donut don't they? :hehe: