The Cardinals are tough...but overrated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I keep hearing all this talk about how great the Cardinals are and how far ahead they are than the Rams. I don't buy it.

Yes, they won 10 games last year. They did this with their starting QB the entire season. The Rams won 7 games while missing their starting QB for a big chunk of the year. The key difference to me in the 2013 Rams and Cardinals seasons were three games. The Cardinals were able to beat the Seahawks, Panthers, and Titans. The Rams weren't far off from beating those three teams and probably should have pulled out a win in at least 2 of the 3. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...but I just don't see this gap as large as some of the pundits are making it out to be. I also think the Rams have more of an ascending team while the Cardinals have ascending areas but also have some spots that probably aren't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't disagree. Cardinals also have an aging QB who could cause them to go backwards.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not to mention that Palmer is gonna get Kolbed... I mean Killed when we play the cards this year.

LOLZ

PhxRam

I dont think the Cardinals are overrated in the least. If anything, I still think they are underrated.

The Cardinals beat Seattle IN Seattle which not many teams managed to do last year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I said that it would be unwise to overlook them before the season began last year.
And I'll say it again this year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the cards d is so good they only need palmer to be average. hopefully losing dansby hurts them a bit.

man the nfc west defenses will rule the nfl for awhile.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I said that it would be unwise to overlook them before the season began last year.
And I'll say it again this year.
Maybe I should put it this way...the are overrated compared to the Rams. The gap isn't as wide as many of these preseason rankings are suggesting.

PhxRam

Maybe I should put it this way...the are overrated compared to the Rams. The gap isn't as wide as many of these preseason rankings are suggesting.

If the gap between us and the Cardinals is not as large as you think, you might as well include Seattle and San Fran as being overrated because those preseason rankings have AZ right with those two.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree. The separation between the Cards and Rams isn't wide at all.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the gap between us and the Cardinals is not as large as you think, you might as well include Seattle and San Fran as being overrated because those preseason rankings have AZ right with those two.
I've been seeing the Seahawks and 49ers in the top three...the Cardinals in the top 10ish areas...and the Rams hovering around 20. Considering in the past two seasons we've hung in there against Seattle and San Fran (for the most part) and at least split with Arizona this past season...I think it is safe to say we aren't far behind them.

In regard to Seattle and San Fran, they've done well at feeding their team with talent...but their core guys have also hit their stride...the Rams still have a good chunk of core guys that are primed to hit their stride this season and the next 2 or 3.

I look forward to a good tough division year in and year out. I hope for the next 15 years these 4 teams are tight and up at the top.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think second place is up for grabs.
Let's face it Seattle is the best team in football. (That hurts just writing it).
However, that doesn't mean they can't be beat.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Losing Dansby will hurt them, much more than anyone has mentioned. Now they have strengthened their secondary. But I can't see them being as strong against the run as they were last year. It allowed them to get a win or 3 they probably weren't figured on getting. But that's the difference sometimes. Just one simple dynamic changes and the team is drastically different.

PhxRam

Losing Dansby will hurt them, much more than anyone has mentioned. Now they have strengthened their secondary. But I can't see them being as strong against the run as they were last year. It allowed them to get a win or 3 they probably weren't figured on getting. But that's the difference sometimes. Just one simple dynamic changes and the team is drastically different.

Some of the Cardinals D-Line suggested that Dansbys success was because of them.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'd put the Cardinals on the same level with the 49ers and Seahawks a step ahead. Bruce Arians is a hell of a coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd put the Cardinals on the same level with the 49ers and Seahawks a step ahead. Bruce Arians is a hell of a coach.

Agreed on Arians, he is impressive and may be the best coach in this division. What he did with that team last year was amazing. I see no reason to think the Cards will dip, if anything they will be tougher for the Rams to take.

Good thing, however, is that Fisher upgraded the coaching defensively which will help a great deal. Williams is going to nullify some of the matchup issues the Rams had from the coordinator positions last season, to include that of Arizona. The Rams' defense is going to be a juggernaut next year, and I like the combination of the power running game pieces Fish added. Seems to me the Rams are much better suited to match up in the NFC Best after this draft and adding Greg Williams.

So I won't take anything away from the Cards. But I'll say this is going to be a much more difficult Rams' team for them this season as well. Gonna be fun.