The balance of power in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With 10 games down... a lot can change... but it really looks like a Dallas / New England SuperBowl based on the performances so far.

I'd put Oakland and Seattle firmly in a 2nd tier... but after that? We've got a LOT of flawed teams.

I know the NFL is configured to level the competitive balance, but can anyone point to a recent season where there is such a small handful of "good teams"?

IMG_0852_zpsiieeyzki.jpg

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
With 10 games down... a lot can change... but it really looks like a Dallas / New England SuperBowl based on the performances so far.

I'd put Oakland and Seattle firmly in a 2nd tier... but after that? We've got a LOT of flawed teams.

I know the NFL is configured to level the competitive balance, but can anyone point to a recent season where there is such a small handful of "good teams"?

Of the Top 14 Teams on that list (winning records only), these are their Power Rankings by the 2 other most important stats/criteria imo... Normally when the Post Season starts........

Defense travels well and the teams with the softer defenses and the home field advantage are very susceptible to getting upset. Keep an eye on these rankings at the end of the season when they become official.

Defense Wins Championships (usually)

Total Points Against Rankings

1. Seahawks 173
2. Patriots 186
3. Chiefs 187
4. Broncos 189
5. Vikings 192
6. Giants `200
7. Cowboys 213
8. Texans 215
9. Dolphins 216

10. Steelers 222
11. Lions 238
12. Raiders 243
13. Redskins 264
14. Falcons 283

Strength of schedule plays a large part of point differential but this would be the Top 14 rankings (teams with winning records only)

Point Differential Rankings (Dominating Victories)

1. Cowboys 103
2. Patriots 94
3. Broncos 50
4. Seahawks 46
5. Steelers 44
6. Falcons 37
7. Chiefs 35
8. Raiders 29
9. Vikings 26

10. Redskins 16
11. Ravens 12
12. Lions 9
13. Giants 4
14. Dolphins 2

TWF_Logo.png
chemanim.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theringer.com/rex-ryan-awards-jaguars-best-mediocre-nfl-teams-d5128c708f6#.jc9cfgx07

The Rex Ryan Awards
There’s plenty of mediocrity across the NFL this season, but a few teams might be better than their records suggest. Who are the best two-, three-, four-, and five-win teams in the league?
Danny Kelly
Staff Writer, The Ringer

1*WCdK9KL6bC5j_HO-l48AxQ.jpeg

(Getty Images/Ringer illustration)

Earlier this week, Bills head coach Rex Ryan described the Jaguars as “the best two-win team I’ve ever seen.” That may sound like coach-speak — under the rule of “don’t give them any bulletin-board material” — but this is Ryan we’re talking about. You know, the guy who frequently trash-talks his rivals and recently joked about having sources inside the Patriots locker room. So, are the Jags that good despite being, well, so bad?

Well, they’re certainly the best two-win team in the league right now — that’s pretty clear. So, while the standings probably aren’t lying to you as much as they were earlier in the season, some teams are still better than their records indicate. Going off of Ryan’s rubric, let’s examine why Jacksonville’s the league’s best two-win team and then take a look at the best three-win, four-win, and five-win teams in the NFL standings through 11 weeks.

Best Two-Win Team: Jacksonville Jaguars (2–8)
The Browns (the only zero-win team) and the 49ers (the only one-win team) both come out on top of their categories purely by default, so let’s just skip right to the two-win category. You don’t want to hear about either of those teams anyway.

We’ll never know if Ryan is being truthful about the Jaguars being “the best two-win team [he’s] ever seen,” but they’re definitely the best two-win team in the league this season.

Note: That’s not saying a whole lot. They hold that honored distinction over just one team — the Bears — whose already-bad season has turned into an uncontrollable tire fire after losing quarterback Jay Cutler (to a labrum injury), Alshon Jeffery, and Jerrell Freeman (both to suspension) in a matter of weeks. Still, despite facing a less than 1 percent chance of making the playoffs per Football Outsiders, Jacksonville is the perfect example of a franchise that’s struggled to convert its talent-rich roster into wins.

Head coach Gus Bradley is the main culprit, and Blake Bortles and his regression as a passer sure haven’t helped, but there have been brief glimpses of quality this season that hint at a team capable of stealing a few wins before it’s all said and done. That was on display last week in Detroit, when they gave the NFC North–leading Lions a real run for their money before losing 26–19.

For Jacksonville, the key in that game was creating turnovers — the Jags forced two after going five straight games without one — and this defense has enough playmakers with Jalen Ramsey, Tashaun Gipson, Telvin Smith, and Dante Fowler Jr. to make that more of a habit.

Of course, they still have to score points, and with explosive pass catchers Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, Marqise Lee, and Julius Thomas, and a pair of solid running backs in T.J. Yeldon and Chris Ivory, opposing teams at the very least have to match up with a multitude of weapons — even if Bortles can barely get the football to them.

Best Three-Win Team: Cincinnati Bengals (3–6–1)
The Bengals have been outscored by a total of five points over their past three games and have exactly zero wins to show for it. They couldn’t finish against Washington in Week 8 and ended up with a 27–27 tie, they failed to score on their last possession in a 21–20 loss to the Giants in Week 10, and then lost a hard-fought battle to the Bills on Sunday, 16–12. Cincy is probably not a good team … but it’s also probably better than its 3–6–1 record would indicate.

The offense has fallen off from the incredible efficiency it sustained last season, but still ranks 11th in offensive DVOAthrough 11 weeks. All this despite an inability to protect Andy Dalton — the offense has given up 29 sacks, fourth worst in the NFL — and the absence of star tight end and key red zone threat Tyler Eifert for the first six games of the season as he rehabbed from a back injury.

Dalton will have to make do without injured receiver A.J. Green and running back Giovani Bernard going forward, but with Jeremy Hill to lean on in the run game and an emerging weapon in Tyler Boyd to target more often, the Bengals should still pose plenty of problems for the playoff hopefuls — the Ravens, Eagles, Steelers, and Texans — left on their schedule.

Best Four-Win Team: New Orleans Saints (4–6)
It’s pretty hard to believe, given what we expected coming into the season, but the Saints are a more complete, balanced team than the Cardinals, Panthers, Packers, and the formerly best-worst Chargers after 11 weeks. The Drew Brees–led offense, ranked fifth by DVOA, is as deadly as ever.

The future Hall of Fame quarterback is on pace to top 5,000 passing yards for the fifth time in his career and now has a deadly arsenal to throw to with three equally dangerous targets in Brandin Cooks, Willie Snead, and Michael Thomas.

Except, it’s no surprise that the Saints have a good offense. What’s shocking is the recent improvement of New Orleans’s defense, which was historically bad last season — like, the worst defensive-DVOA-of-all-time bad. Defensive end Cameron Jordan is creating havoc for opposing quarterbacks, defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins has come back from a broken fibula to provide pressure up the middle, and outside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe has provided another spark with his return to the lineup.

New Orleans’s top cornerback, Delvin Breaux (also dealing with a broken fibula), should return from injury soon as well, which means the Saints aren’t going to be such pushovers on defense for the rest of the season.

The defense hasn’t been exactly suffocating — it’s still just the 24th-ranked group by DVOA — but over their past four games, the Saints have held serve against some quality opponents, beating the Seahawks and Niners and narrowly losing to the Broncos (on a weird, last-second extra-point return for two points) and Panthers.

Football Outsiders gives them just a 10.7 percent chance at making the postseason, but teams like the Lions and Falcons are going to be facing a much more balanced opponent — one that still features an explosive passing game under Brees and now doesn’t completely fold on defense.

Best Five-Win Team: Buffalo Bills (5–5)
While the Ravens, Steelers, and Colts may have a better chance of making the postseason, the Bills are the most dangerous of the bunch. Why? They’re built to win late in the season for two reasons: They’ll run the ball all over you and they’ll get after your quarterback.

We talk about the Cowboys’ unstoppable run game a lot, but with LeSean McCoy and Tyrod Taylor at the forefront, the Bills went into Week 11 with the top-ranked rush DVOA, leading the NFL in rushing yards per game (157.8) and rushing touchdowns (17). They will run at you in a number of different ways, including unbalanced offensive line looks, the read option, the wildcat, Power-O, wide zone … you name it, it’s in their arsenal. They’re not going to pass it all over the yard, but with a physically oppressive run game providing the foundation, they’re averaging 25.3 points per game, 10th best in the league.

Defensively, the Bills do one thing very well: They get opposing quarterbacks off their spot and onto the ground. Buffalo is tied for the league lead in sacks (31.0) and it racks up most of that production using a variety of zone blitzes, confounding offensive lines by bringing pressure from all over the field. There’s no better illustration of the type of blitz-heavy pass-rushing attack that the Bills bring to the table than veteran linebacker Lorenzo Alexander being tied for the league lead in sacks with 10. His previous single-season high was 2.5. With Buffalo, you just never know where the blitz will be coming from.

The Bills aren’t flashy, but they bring a physical and aggressive offense along with an exotic, multiple defense to the table. They may be facing the best two-win team Ryan has ever seen this week, but for a five-win team with just a 22.5 percent shot at the playoffs, Buffalo is pretty good, too.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Seems strange for a 4- 6 team to be 7 point favorites against another 4- 6 team...O stats heavily favor Saints while D stats of course favor the Rams, but not not as much as I might have thought except for pts allowed...Rushing yards allowed is identical while NO gives up more passing yards...Hopefully the Rams found a passing game this week to win this one...Hopefully playing in a dry some with a week of real football out of the way will help Goff...I would think ST play would favor the Rams...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I see Seattle as the toughest team in the NFC...Dallas defense still doesn't look ready for post-season football. Too soft. Ehh, @Rynie ????? ;)
Don't get me wrong...Byron "jump out the gym" Jones is a baller. I liked JJ Wilcox outta the draft, small school former RB, one year as a safety, but hits like a tank. Mo Clairborne...good player but on IR...Yeah I like Jerry's secondary a lil...but they seem vulnerable vs the run.

TexasRam

Legend
3 losses by 4 points or less
1 loss by a TD

1 opening day loss vs the niners.

We should be 9-1.

Thanks Shotty.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems strange for a 4- 6 team to be 7 point favorites against another 4- 6 team...O stats heavily favor Saints while D stats of course favor the Rams, but not not as much as I might have thought except for pts allowed...Rushing yards allowed is identical while NO gives up more passing yards...Hopefully the Rams found a passing game this week to win this one...Hopefully playing in a dry some with a week of real football out of the way will help Goff...I would think ST play would favor the Rams...

Well... look at it this way; in the last 4 games the Saints have scored 25 (against Seattle), 23 (against Denver), and 20 (against Carolina)... all good defenses.

One might argue they'll score around that against us. So say... 24.

That would mean the Rams have to score 17 to cover the 7pt spread which we've only done 4 times this year (score 17 or greater, that is).

So; the spread looks right to me... unfortunately :mad:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

IMG_0852_zpsiieeyzki.jpg
I'll predict a lot of changes in this list over the next 6 weeks! I'm going to save tis to look at after week 17!!(y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One might argue they'll score around that against us. So say... 24. That would mean the Rams have to score 17 to cover the 7pt spread which we've only done 4 times this year.
" This means the Rams are due for their one huge Break-Out-Game, Right!?!":D

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I see Seattle as the toughest team in the NFC...Dallas defense still doesn't look ready for post-season football. Too soft. Ehh, @Rynie ????? ;)
Don't get me wrong...Byron "jump out the gym" Jones is a baller. I liked JJ Wilcox outta the draft, small school former RB, one year as a safety, but hits like a tank. Mo Clairborne...good player but on IR...Yeah I like Jerry's secondary a lil...but they seem vulnerable vs the run.
Our defense does enough. Nobody can stop our offense. Nobody. They keep the defense off the field. We get Barry Church back Thursday, and hopefully Mo Claiborne returns by playoffs.

Lol @ Seattle being the toughest team. The Cowboys have the best record in the NFL. Seattle just lost to Tampa Bay. We'd beat Seattle at home or up there, just like we did in 2014. They won't stop our offense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lol @ Seattle being the toughest team. The Cowboys have the best record in the NFL. Seattle just lost to Tampa Bay. We'd beat Seattle at home or up there, just like we did in 2014. They won't stop our offense.
You'll be at home....and again, just looking at these teams....you'll lose...

But Jerry has built a great team...no complaints here. When some of those defensive players come back, and that rookie LB finally is healthy enough to play...Look out.

Tampa has some pieces. Don't sleep on them. I wouldn't doubt they make the playoffs too. That defense is young, but a lot of pieces are on the field.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The AFC holds most of the big dogs this year. New England is in its usual powerhouse form, Oakland is as tough as any team to beat, Denver still has an elite defense, the Chiefs are almost a copy of the Broncos, and the Steelers may be inconsistent but they are still lethal. In the NFC, I think it boils down to Dallas and Atlanta. Seattle's offense is not good enough.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
You'll be at home....and again, just looking at these teams....you'll lose...

Awesome. Since you can predict the future, can I have the lottery numbers, Nastrodamus?

:jerkoff:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Not going to happen. We'll have a bye and homefield advantage.

Yep - looks like y'all will have the #1 seed in the NFC. Which means some team will come to town hot off a wild card weekend win - maybe even someone in your division.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Yep - looks like y'all will have the #1 seed in the NFC. Which means some team will come to town hot off a wild card weekend win - maybe even someone in your division.
I'd love to beat the vagiants in a playoff game to get revenge for 2007.