The answer to the most asked Stafford question is....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair, I have always considered Stafford top 5 talent in the league. Damn near since he came in.

His toughness and arm talent along with decision making.

And, we won't go round and round. Good luck finding a time I've ever disputed someone's opinions on a player. I just dont care that much. To each there own. My two cents and I always respect everyone else's opinion.
I agree Stafford has top 5 talent. Just from an arm standpoint he’s up there with anyone. But IMO talent alone doesn’t dictate his place amongst those guys. At some point talent and potential have to meet results in terms of wins, individual accolades, championships etc. otherwise it’s just another what coulda been scenarios in the long line of what coulda beens the NFL churns out. And though those aren’t perfect ways to measure how one player stacks up to another it’s really all we got otherwise it’s just an eye test and pretty doesn’t always mean better.

That being said....do I expect Stafford to make the leap into the conversation amongst the leagues best next year and maintain that trajectory with the rams as long as his body allows? Yes, I wholeheartedly do. And when he does, I will consider him as such...not before. I looked over it and Staffords career to this point compares favorably with Big Ben through his first 12 seasons aside from the winning, pro bowls and postseason success. Now I agree with you it’s not all on Stafford at all that he hasn’t achieved that level of success as the lions organization has been a joke so he doesn’t get all the blame and it’s understandable why the two career trajectories went the way they did. So while Stafford shouldn’t be blamed for all of the shortcomings of the lions, he also can’t get the same level of praise that those guys get because he hasn’t achieved the same level of success. And just because he compares well with those guys to this point does not mean it will continue and though I don’t expect that to be the case, we can’t just consider it a forgone conclusion and heap praise upon the guy, for all we know he has 1 more snap left in his career and then trails all of those guys in everything and is way behind in accolades.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While I agree that Stafford might well keep going several more years, with all due respect I don't believe this can be safely predicted because of the potential effect of injuries, past and future, on any particular player.

It was a little bit concerning to hear Stafford describe all the injuries he played through last year. I'm also concerned about our oline protecting him, at least pending any further moves which may be forthcoming.

And also as of now-- hopefully this will change very shortly -- we still only have him on a two year contract.

Yeah, good points @FarNorth

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

We can expect 5 more solid seasons from Stafford.

Maybe more.... but I got to looking at the career arc’s of the most recent great QB’s. You can argue my method, because I am speaking in generalizations here....

Looking with blurry vision at their careers....

Both Payton Manning and Matt Stafford starting putting up consistently productive numbers at age 23. Seen in the blue upward bars.

Brady about age 25. His accession is represented in maroon.

Brees, Rivers, and Roethlisberger all about age 27. They started playing their best then. These players share the grey bars upward.

All of these QB’s were studs overlapping age 27-37. Wide stretch of grey below.

About 37... a few start to taper off. Represented by grey bars going downward.

Brees played solid longer, IMO. Age 39. His desent represented in gold.

Brady probably even further, but you could argue where. About 41, maybe. He is still going so who knows.

Anyway... Stafford is 33... if he matches the shortest, but also most likely curve... we should see 5 solid seasons up to age 37.

No science. Just approximate.

View attachment 44237
I see Stafford playing a good seven years, saving a truly debilitating injury.
You have supplied a excellent QB comparison but , I would like to add another variable to our guess. If I may.

And that is the "want to" variable.
Would Big Whit still be playing had he continued on with the Bengals?
He spent a good part of his career in an up and down team and I think the enticement of playing with a
team that has consistently been capable of winning and competing for a ring, has extended his desire to
continue playing.

I think to an extent Stafford feels his time with the Lions was a bit of a waste and that now he has a chance
to compete for a ring, year in and year out. I think he feels he has something to prove. I think he will relish
his time with Mcvay, Much like Brees does with Peyton. And will play as long as his body allows.

Of course this is all guessing and could change quickly, but I just feel like Stafford past will play a part in his
desire to keep going.

Last edited:

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 12.37.58 PM.png

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Stafford is a Ford GT, but spent the last 12 years on crappy Detroit roads... hopefully, no permanent damage done that hasn't already been fixed.

Watching him on a wide open freeway (yeah, I'm old enough to remember SoCal freeways not being jammed 24/7...) should be something to behold.

Bradford was a Mustang GT that was a lemon. Should have been pretty nice, but simply broke down too often to be useful and ended up costing a lot of people repair bills before being scrapped.

Wolford was a Focus RS. Pretty sporty, decently solid, but if you whack it, it's gonna break. He's not an F-150 by any means.