The answer to the most asked Stafford question is....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

We can expect 5 more solid seasons from Stafford.

Maybe more.... but I got to looking at the career arc’s of the most recent great QB’s. You can argue my method, because I am speaking in generalizations here....

Looking with blurry vision at their careers....

Both Payton Manning and Matt Stafford starting putting up consistently productive numbers at age 23. Seen in the blue upward bars.

Brady about age 25. His accession is represented in maroon.

Brees, Rivers, and Roethlisberger all about age 27. They started playing their best then. These players share the grey bars upward.

All of these QB’s were studs overlapping age 27-37. Wide stretch of grey below.

About 37... a few start to taper off. Represented by grey bars going downward.

Brees played solid longer, IMO. Age 39. His desent represented in gold.

Brady probably even further, but you could argue where. About 41, maybe. He is still going so who knows.

Anyway... Stafford is 33... if he matches the shortest, but also most likely curve... we should see 5 solid seasons up to age 37.

No science. Just approximate.

EED54FA4-1C0A-4B7A-83A8-DAF76374A541.png

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bold move putting Stafford in the same conversation as those guys IMO he has not earned that comparison.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Maybe more.... but I got to looking at the career arc’s of the most recent great QB’s. You can argue my method, because I am speaking in generalizations here....

Both Payton Manning and Matt Stafford starting putting up consistently productive numbers at age 23. Seen in the blue upward bars.

Brees, Rivers, and Roethlisberger all about age 27. They started playing their best then. These players share the grey bars upward.

Brady probably even further, but you could argue where. About 41, maybe. He is still going so who knows.

Anyway... Stafford is 33... if he matches the shortest, but also most likely curve... we should see 5 solid seasons up to age 37.

View attachment 44237
Love this. Thanks for the info

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty sure he was only comparing ages and longevity, not quality.
Right but those guys defy every conventional measurement because they are all time greats. It is not normal to play at a high level until you are 37...it is a baseline for comparison amongst those pro bowl all pro super bowl champion all time NFL record holding group of guys. You have to put Stafford in their category to make the comparison.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right but those guys defy every conventional measurement because they are all time greats. It is not normal to play at a high level until you are 37...it is a baseline for comparison amongst those pro bowl all pro super bowl champion all time NFL record holding group of guys. You have to put Stafford in their category to make the comparison.
Carson Palmer played until 38, coming off issues with his knee and having to face the Rams pass rush...
Cant see why Stafford wont have 4-5 good years left. 40 is the new 30 it seems

Also, Stafford surely can fit in the Phillip Rivers/Eli Manning group

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Carson Palmer played until 38, coming off issues with his knee and having to face the Rams pass rush...
Cant see why Stafford wont have 4-5 good years left. 40 is the new 30 it seems
I forgot about Palmer That’s actually a really good comparison. He was a good qb for Arizona those years.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I see nothing wrong with the comparison. But then, I am a Rams fan that likes Stafford. As stated, he certainly belongs in any conversation that Rivers is in...Great post @CGI_Ram

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nice work @CGI_Ram At 33 I expect the Tams will get a solid 5 years from Stafford. AD will be 35 by then and likely will have tapered off a bit. That gets us to 2025 for expected competitive football. I’m looking forward to it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty sure he was only comparing ages and longevity, not quality.

Yes. That was my logic. Good starters play longer as starters. Plus if we want Stafford to be great, that’s the group to compare.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
The thing about all this, is it is becoming the new norm. QBs last longer because they are not protected. They can even be landed on at this point. If they take care of that shoulder, they can play forever

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Bold move putting Stafford in the same conversation as those guys IMO he has not earned that comparison.

I think Stafford is every bit as good as Big Ben and Rivers. He has been on by far the worst roster with the worst coaching staff. But I certainly don't put him with Peyton, Brady or Brees.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Stafford is every bit as good as Big Ben and Rivers. He has been on by far the worst roster with the worst coaching staff. But I certainly don't put him with Peyton, Brady or Brees.
Meh this feels like the Bradford Goff debate now lmao. I’ll give you a bunch of reasons based around stats and accolades that I disagree and you’ll tell me it’s not fair because the lions suck and I’ll say yeah but that’s how it worked out...and we’ll spin round and round....so let’s just skip that middle part and agree to disagree.

I’ll tell ya what tho ...Stafford has every bit of arm talent as those guys and in some cases more. Can’t wait to see him thrive this year without the lions dragging him down.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

View attachment 44237

Statue/traditional QB Stafford can extend his football career (age 45?) if he does the top-of-line dietary Supplements (sports performance) and a rigorous exercise program. Running or dual threat QBs (Watson) are lucky if they make it to age 30.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's possible who knows. All I care about is a Super Bowl win or two in the next few years. But it would be nice to win one quickly, like this year, and then see him opt to NOT make the team pay him top money to give the team more room for error in winning more.

He already said the team doesn't need to redo his contract. So I think he's past that time in his career where money was the priority (which it kind of is for any guy who has yet to be paid IMO whether they say it or not). His time window that he's in mentally might jive nicely for what we need and that's aside from the fact that I think he'll be better than he's ever been in this offense.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Meh this feels like the Bradford Goff debate now lmao. I’ll give you a bunch of reasons based around stats and accolades that I disagree and you’ll tell me it’s not fair because the lions suck and I’ll say yeah but that’s how it worked out...and we’ll spin round and round....so let’s just skip that middle part and agree to disagree.

I’ll tell ya what tho ...Stafford has every bit of arm talent as those guys and in some cases more. Can’t wait to see him thrive this year without the lions dragging him down.

To be fair, I have always considered Stafford top 5 talent in the league. Damn near since he came in.

His toughness and arm talent along with decision making.

And, we won't go round and round. Good luck finding a time I've ever disputed someone's opinions on a player. I just dont care that much. To each there own. My two cents and I always respect everyone else's opinion.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

View attachment 44237

While I agree that Stafford might well keep going several more years, with all due respect I don't believe this can be safely predicted because of the potential effect of injuries, past and future, on any particular player.

It was a little bit concerning to hear Stafford describe all the injuries he played through last year. I'm also concerned about our oline protecting him, at least pending any further moves which may be forthcoming.

And also as of now-- hopefully this will change very shortly -- we still only have him on a two year contract.