The 5 Biggest Issues Facing St. Louis Rams with OTAs Nearly Wrapped

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...facing-st-louis-rams-with-otas-nearly-wrapped

By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist Jun 12, 2015

hi-res-73c24e57569e4f32eae5a1a2dadf01b8_crop_north.jpg

St. Louis Rams will wrap OTAs June 19. Now that the rookies have had some practice time with the veterans, the coaching staff can begin highlighting certain issues.

The players will have a nice summer break before training camp begins, and that's when things will heat up. Between training camp and the preseason, the Rams will have an opportunity to focus on the biggest question marks.

This article will outline several of the major issues the team must be aware of now that OTAs are complete.

Running Back Will Be Thin Until Todd Gurley Is Healthy
hi-res-8b306ee252ba686847d0a59149574650_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com reported that running back Todd Gurley, St. Louis' first-round draft choice, is finding ways to participate. He's glancing at the playbook, taking mental reps and remaining focused.

The eagerness will do him a lot of good once he returns from his knee injury. However, the Rams will be thin at running back for the first half of the season.

Adding to the frustration is the fact that Trey Watts earned himself a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, per Mike Florio of NBC Sports.

Watts, an undrafted rookie from last year, made the final roster in 2014 and would have likely been the No. 3 back until Gurley's return. Without Watts, the Rams are basically depending on Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham to carry the entire workload.

Cunningham and Mason did combine for 75 percent of the running back carries last season, and neither player was overworked (both had under 200 carries). If healthy, Mason and Cunningham are perfectly capable of taking 100 percent of the carries.

The key words being, "if healthy."

With Watts and Gurley unavailable early in the season, an injury to Mason or Cunningham would be a nightmare. The Rams would essentially be left with a single capable back. Since St. Louis is built as a run-first team, that's a big problem.

So how do the Rams address this issue?

The coaches need to keep a close eye on rookie Malcolm Brown and fourth-year pro Isaiah Pead. If either player excels throughout camp and the preseason, the Rams can rest easy. If not, they will have to search for outside help. Adding a veteran back after final cuts might be an option.

It's only a temporary issue, but the Rams need to be mindful of the running back situation throughout camp.

Brian Quick Needs to Be Ready for Training Camp
hi-res-46b61ac259a5639aaa11fc1cf50c9fb2_crop_north.jpg

Matt Rourke/Associated Press

Brian Quick was in the midst of what appeared to be a breakout campaign in 2014. He amassed over 300 yards in his first four games, but he injured his shoulder in Week 7 against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The updates have been scarce. Wagoner of ESPN.com reported at the end of March that Quick tore his rotator cuff and separated his shoulder, and that the Rams refused to give a timetable for his return (which is typically a bad sign).

However, in Wagoner's latest report, he stated that Quick participated in some individual drills during OTAs and could be ready for training camp.

For Quick's sake, let's hope that's accurate.

The Rams need a true No. 1 wide receiver in the worst way. If Quick is absent from camp, the Rams will basically be forced to hand Kenny Britt that title by default (unless dark-horse candidate Stedman Bailey makes a big statement).

Not only is that bad for Quick, but it's also bad for the Rams in general. No player should be handed a job by default. Competition brings out the best in everybody, and adding Quick to the mix will certainly increase the competition.

Also, let's not overlook that Nick Foles is a new quarterback. Throwing Quick into the mix midseason and expecting him to click with Foles is absurd. He needs to be present at camp in order to develop a chemistry with his new signal-caller.

Needless to say, the fans and coaching staff will both be keeping a sharp eye on Quick's health.

Rams Must Overcome Inexperienced Offensive Line
hi-res-01ecdcb0f323b5e6621ef40e674a3e06_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

Jeff Fisher wants to run the football, and he wants Todd Gurley to be his 2015 version of Eddie George. After the Rams selected Gurley in the draft, along with four mauling offensive linemen, the team's intentions became quite clear.

Whether the Rams actually become a dominant run team in 2015 is still up for debate. That's the blueprint, but there are several issues that must be resolved.

One of the most glaring issues is the offensive line. Greg Robinson and Rodger Saffold are the only starters returning from 2014, so the other three spots are up for grabs.

The Rams did not sign or draft any centers during the offseason, so either Barrett Jones or Tim Barnes will man that post. The spots at right tackle and guard are wide open, so it's assumed both positions will be filled by rookies.

Either way, the Rams will be fielding three first-year starters on the offensive line, including two rookies. The offensive line will jell eventually with time, but it could be ugly to watch in the early goings.

The team's top priority in training camp is to get the young linemen ready for Week 1. It will be a challenge, but it's certainly doable.

Luckily, the Rams possess arguably the top defensive line in football. Forcing the rookie linemen to square off against Pro Bowl pass-rushers every day at practice will certainly speed up their development. If the youngsters can block Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald, they'll certainly be able to handle Michael Bennett against the Seattle Seahawks in Week 1.

Getting this line to jell is a bit more complicated than that, but that's a challenge the coaching staff will have to address.

Tavon Austin Needs to Find a Role
hi-res-c0055929b34ffb2b793140c43d0d9756_crop_north.jpg

Charlie Riedel/Associated Press

When discussing St. Louis' 2015 offense, there's lots of talk surrounding the run game, the emergence of a No. 1 receiver and capabilities of Nick Foles. However, the hype around Tavon Austin has died down tremendously.

Austin had just 224 receiving yards in 2014 and was held under 500 yards from scrimmage. Regardless of the context or various debilitating factors at play, it's hard to dispute that his production has been very disappointing for a top-10 draft pick.

Former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer caught a lot of heat in 2014 for not properly utilizing Austin, and Austin was cut some serious slack for catching passes from backup quarterbacks all season.

Six other pass-catchers on the Rams experienced the same supposed negative factors and still had more receiving yards than Austin. But needless to say, he still gets a pass.

It's doubtful the coaches and fans will be as lenient in 2015. Austin needs a big year, and he needs to be fully utilized.

That will require a better overall game plan by the coaching staff, as well as an increased role on special teams. He averaged fifth in theNFL last season in average yards per punt return (11.2). It'd be nice to see the Rams take advantage of his return skills by having him return kickoffs as well.

Too many returns equates to a greater injury risk, but the Rams can always cut back if he starts to break out on offense. But until that happens, special teams is his most productive area.

Whatever St. Louis decides, Austin must be put in a position where he can produce. He was a major investment for this franchise, so the Rams cannot afford to keep him on as a minor role player.

A Lot of New Pieces on Offense
hi-res-edcf2f4778958370ea3d062d64e785a6_crop_north.jpg

Michael Thomas/Associated Press

The biggest issue facing this team is the entire offense. The offensive unit does not lack talent, but the entire group is totally fresh and inexperienced.

The 2015 Rams will be featuring a new offensive line, a new quarterback, a new workhorse running back and even a new offensive coordinator (former quarterback coach Frank Cignetti).

The entire unit is in its rookie season. Getting the line to open giant run lanes, Gurley to run with the same electricity he did in college, Foles to regain his 2013 form and Cignetti to call the right plays will take time. That's not to say early success is impossible, but it'd be wise to taper expectations for the time being.

The group has a lot of moving pieces that must be synchronized. Only so much chemistry can be developed in training camp.

Luckily, this is a defensive team. The Rams do not need the offense firing on all cylinders in order to be successful. For now, an offense that can feature a top-15 run game and hook up for the occasional big passing play should suffice.

The good news is that there's a lot of exciting young talent on offense. During the 2010 and 2011 seasons, analysts frequently commented on St. Louis' up-and-coming defense. And that's basically where this offense is at. It's about where the defense was four seasons ago.

The Rams don't need the offense to break out and reach the defense's level. The offense simply needs to avoid being incompetent. If that happens, the playoffs are a very real possibility.

Getting this fresh offense in sync should be the No. 1 focus throughout training camp.

Steven Gerwel is the longest-tenured Rams featured columnist at Bleacher Report and served as the Rams' game-day correspondent in 2014. You can find more of Gerwel's work by visiting his writer profile or following him on Twitter.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Running back will not be thin, I disagree there. No need to bring in a veteran when we have Mason and Cunningham to carry the load and Pead to play on likely passing downs. Sometimes we can even use Tavon in the backfield. If we have an injury, then we could consider outside help temporarily.

Stel

Starter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...facing-st-louis-rams-with-otas-nearly-wrapped

By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist Jun 12, 2015

The Rams did not sign or draft any centers during the offseason, so either Barrett Jones or Tim Barnes will man that post.

It is poorly researched crap like this that makes Bleacher Report such a joke. I'm assuming this clown isn't aware of the Rams' roster. Either that or Rhaney has been cut already and I missed it. Last I heard from people that actually know the Rams as a team, there are at least 3 still competing to be the center.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
While there's nothing here we don't already know, I thought the article put an unusually positive spin on the issues it identified.

I must be too accustomed to pessimistic writing when it comes to my Rams.

Not sure about the running back depth point but can't really argue with the rest.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have a hard time getting too worried about how soon Gurley can start, frankly. Gawd, I wish all our position groups were this loaded.

Besides, didn't I just read yesterday a beat writer projecting Gurley as a possible opening day starter? And even if he can't play until mid season, we can do just fine behind Mason and Cunningham.

Heck, I still think Pead is a goner either way unless he has a lights out camp and preseason. Let's face it, 4th string RB's will be easy to find after final cuts.

You know what? I have more attention on the CB battle. I think that there might very well be at least one new starter there this season. It might also develop into a musical chair situation between Jenkins, TruJo, Gaines, Joyner, and maybe even Roberson.

I just don't think our starters there are written in stone. Maybe just in pencil.

WR is my other area of biggest interest. Unknowns about Quick and Tavon create opportunities for Bailey and perhaps a UDFA or two. Wagoner said that Marquez has been impressing. Anybody else up for another Ram "feel good" player story? Who can say what our opening day WR pecking order will be?

My kingdom for a CoachO camp report! Lol.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This article was weak & many of us here @ ROD could have done a much better job.

First as already mentioned above Ramrasta The Rams Org has Mason, Cunningham,Reynolds here & they know this offense. They also have newcomers like Brown(R) Franks(R) even Laskey(R) all available for action if need be....but the biggy here is the underutilized WR/PR/RB Tavon Austin who can get into the mix early if need be. So I sure see no issues here @ all.

Second. I see no need for a #1 WR at all, Rams Org has numerous well seasoned pass catchers 8 to 9 last count, from all types & posts who can contribute with ease. Zero issue here as well.

The 3rd one has some merit for many here but its small issue for me. About time this Fisher team hauled in some serious healthy young large big talented OL'ers....to retool for the old broke down well seasoned vets like Wells, Joseph, Long, Dahl, Hunter, Ojinnaka, Turner & Williams that have been here & tried since Fisher arrived.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agreed the offense is a work in progress many reasons, mainly the offensive line, but a tweaked system under Frank Cignetti and a new QB in Nick Foles so there are many moving parts.

I like staying young on the offensive line there might be some growing pains, however, the Rams drafted players that not only played many college games, but were durable as well. Granted that does not equate to NFL games, but the Rams tried the free agent route with the likes of Long and Wells, two high profile free agents with experience but they struggled with their durability.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
1.--I keep hearing Fisher talk about Pead.He is going into his 4th season.Dude still has talent.
2.Quick is just another piece to the puzzled.Bailey missed first 4 games last year.He & Tavon are coming into there own.Bailey is totally underrated.That being said Brian Quick is only going to get better.
--The db's & WR's are bringing out the best of each other.
3.OL ???yes there is questions,but look at Joesph & Barksdale.They
had to be protected w/RB & or TE.
4.Tavon is fine & is getting better.The thing I love about him is he just competes every day,with a great attitude.In Charger game he heard me & broke one to win the game.Refs screw Rams all the time.--Watch out for Eugene Simms this season..
5.5.Who doesn't like the fact you have 4 QB's competing & Foles is going into a contract year.He brings high f
5's & just a great team mate.The energy is great from team.Not a $80 mil guy who was living off a rookie contract..Hughest ever for years to come.New OC is having QB's get ball out faster w/ less motion.That will only speed tempo.Add if D plays great, will bring more chances on offense.Plus positive plays by RB's...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Running back will not be thin, I disagree there. No need to bring in a veteran when we have Mason and Cunningham to carry the load and Pead to play on likely passing downs. Sometimes we can even use Tavon in the backfield. If we have an injury, then we could consider outside help temporarily.

I think the author meant "thin" not as being "weak" - but as in, if Mason AND/OR Cunningham go down or get nicked up we'll be scrambling. Having to rely on Pead for carries? In my mind Pead is basically the wildcard "third down back" guy who is shifty in space and can run routes (I always wanted him to be our version of Danny Woodhead) but he's not going to run it up between the tackles 15 times a game is he?

Other than that; yeah, Quick is so important to this team. The O-line is an ongoing work. Its unrealistic to expect too much too soon - I think we might have to be patient and endure some growing pains there. We'll see about Tavon - I hope he cant put it together because his potential is all-star level.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I'm pretty uneasy about Foles right now. I'm afraid he'll turn into Austin Davis after a few hits and just start chuckin it up

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty uneasy about Foles right now. I'm afraid he'll turn into Austin Davis after a few hits and just start chuckin it up
I can't tell if you're joking or serious.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I can't tell if you're joking or serious.
pretty serious. ppl seem to be forgetting he also had part of a 2014 season where he was throwing crazy picks and fumbling like it was his job. between that and the Oline ppl should be pretty nervous going into the season

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Don't worry @StevenG-BR I thought it was pretty good. Hard to argue with any of it. Though I like our RB situation even with Gurley unable to start the season.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
It is poorly researched crap like this that makes Bleacher Report such a joke. I'm assuming this clown isn't aware of the Rams' roster. Either that or Rhaney has been cut already and I missed it. Last I heard from people that actually know the Rams as a team, there are at least 3 still competing to be the center.

Actually I'm aware of every player on the roster. I have mentioned Rhaney numerous times. But that's not the point. I'm not speaking on the competition at center...I'm speaking on the fact that the Rams will be fielding 3 new starters on the line.

If I was speaking on the competition, I would most definitely mention Rhaney as a long shot. But whining about the omission of a low-level player in this context is silly.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think we'll be pretty aggressive in trying to get Evan Mathis through the door. I like the promise in the youngsters up front, but Mathis would be a huge grab. He graded out as a top guard last year and would be a pretty welcome presence while getting these cats some seasoning.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm really not expecting a lot out of the offense in the early going. Gurley might not be ready. The line will need time. Still don't know if Quick will be ready from the outset. And if he is ready which Quick will we be getting? The pre 2014 Quick or the guy who stepped up in 2015? The defense is going to have to be dominant for the most part if we're gonna have a chance. That wasn't always the case in 2014.