Terrell Owens: Hall of Fame “should be purely based on stats”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
So here's an off topic question then that I think we as fans are going to have to face: who becomes Hall worthy over the next decade?

When you consider guys like Bruce and Holt appear to be fringe worthy at WR, I don't know of anyone coming down the pipe at that position even close. After AP retires, what RB is close? SJ, Gore, Lynch - not sure if any of them are up to snuff.

Of course Manning and then Brady a few years after. I see a lot of defensive guys and very few offensive guys over the next decade.

based on your next 10 years (which means they have to retire in the next 5 or sooner)
I agree that the RB is going to be thin...
A few O guys for the next decade (many are debatable), not counting a number of O-lineman that will likely be considered/get in, also not considering those guys that are already eligible and are "in Q" (I think Bruce and Warner are):
Moss - will be interesting if they make him wait a year or two due to the lockerrrom stuff...
Whitten
Calvin J
L Fitzgerald
Roethlisberger
Eli manning
Gates
T. Gonzalez
Vinatieri
Tomlinson

sidenote: Warner will get in the next ballot....I "knew" if he did not get in first ballot (which I thought was longshot) he would not get in the same year as Farve...but considering he has made final 10 2 years in row, think this next ballot is his.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-class-of-2016-breaking-down-whos-in-whos-out

Timeout! No T.O.?

The surprise this year for most fans had to be the exclusion of Terrell Owens. Sure, wide receivers have traditionally had to wait. But this guy is second all-time in receiving yards and third in receiving touchdowns. You could argue that in order of importance, yards and then touchdowns should outweigh receptions. Therefore, you could sell Owens as a more viable candidate than Harrison, who trailed the former 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys, Bills and Bengals wide receiver.

But perhaps this was the issue with Owens: He was often a distraction to teammates, which, it could be argued, affected performance on the field. Harrison was the quiet pro, who was the most consistent receiver in the game, even if he wasn't as dynamic as Owens. My take is that all wide receivers, save for maybe Randy Moss, will have to wait in this pass-happy era, and Harrison's turn came up first.

Shorter careers still get short shrift

Terrell Davis was a Hall of Fame running back. I don't care if he played only seven seasons. So did Hall of Famer Gale Sayers, and Davis was more consistent. Fellow Hall of Famer Doak Walker played six, and he wasn't the feature back Davis was. One difference between those players and Davis is the fact that even the great careers were of shorter duration in the 1950s and '60s than they are now. Moreover, Sayers and Walker were quite famous in their college days.

Davis was a defensive end in high school who split time at running back while at Georgia, so his entry into the NFL was less than heralded. But there is one line of thinking that is the biggest B.S. when it comes to keeping the greatest postseason running back in league history out of the Hall: the "Mike Shanahan system running back" garbage. Yes, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell saw success in Denver under Shanahan. They didn't rush for 2,000 yards. They weren't named NFL MVP. They weren't Super Bowl MVP. Davis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all other Shanahan RBs.

Here's my best college try at calling the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2017:

1) LaDainian Tomlinson
2) Terrell Owens
3) Kurt Warner
4) Brian Dawkins
5) Terrell Davis

LT will breakdance his way into the Hall. Owens' wait will be over. Warner's two MVP awards will scream for his inclusion. Dawkins, who will be eligible for the first time, was a safety. That's normally a kiss of death for making it into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but unless fellow safety John Lynch beats him, the Eagles legend will cement his place in NFL history. And I think (hope), next year is the year for Terrell Davis.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
It is interesting to think about (have for the last hour or so)....over the next 10 years there are 50 HoF spots (not counting veterans committee and others) that can get in. Assuming even split O and D then 25 slots go O. Look at the guys not in yet (but generally considered locks) guys retiring soon or have retired that will be eligible and you are left with just a few from the maybe list:

locks (Based on my belief they will get in - this doesn't mean I agree but the media would strongly lean this way- in no order):
1. Warner
2. TO
3. Tomlinson
4. AP
5. Moss
6. P Manning
7. Brady
8. Brees
9. Gates
10. Gonzales
11. L. Fitzgerald
12. Roethlisberger
13. E. Manning
14. Vinatieri
15. Whitten
16. Bruce

and figurea several O-lineman (would have to put some thought into that)

feel free to add to the list

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So here's an off topic question then that I think we as fans are going to have to face: who becomes Hall worthy over the next decade?

When you consider guys like Bruce and Holt appear to be fringe worthy at WR, I don't know of anyone coming down the pipe at that position even close. After AP retires, what RB is close? SJ, Gore, Lynch - not sure if any of them are up to snuff.

Of course Manning and then Brady a few years after. I see a lot of defensive guys and very few offensive guys over the next decade.

If they aren't up to snuff then don't put them in.

Excellent point

My two cents. Great stats alone don't make a great player.