Terrell Lewis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've liked Hardy since the draft. His ankle will likely keep him from seeing significant snaps (barring injuries in front of him) for at least until after the bye in week 7. After that, it should be rotational duties behind Floyd.

It's Hardy's role next year that's going to be interesting. This year will be basically a redshirt year for him. To ensure his ankle is completely healed and developing. One aspect of his game needs to be is to show he can drop into coverage and not be a liability.

If he can show that in camp I think he can be a starter at DE opposite Floyd in 2023 or 2024. That would depend upon how Lewis is playing. IMO Terrell must show more than flashes this year. He must be able to play without a snap count. That said unless Terrell plays beyond what he has I think Hardy can be his replacement and at the very least play rotationally behind Floyd and Hollins.

Hardy brings athleticism and especially speed that is lacking in Lewis. I think ultimately he is capable of being a 6-9 sack a year type of starter at edge. Lewis is not only limited by snap count he's a liability in coverage. That is why Hollins remains on the field when Lewis plays. At the very least Hardy could provide the Rams with good depth behind both Floyd and Hollins. IMO Lewis has not really earned his roster spot. This is his year to break out or he's gone in 2024 if not before. IMO drafting Hardy was targeted specifically at Lewis.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I think you are right. Lewis will need to soon show more durability and impactful play on the field than he has to date, or his time as a Ram will be coming to an end. Players of his ilk are routinely churned in the NFL, but Snead in particular has adopted a philosophy of retaining a select few elite players at key position groups that the team feels are worth paying for, and rotating the supporting players around them for year to year.

Terrell Lewis' career trajectory thus far has been a bit disappointing but perhaps should not be overly surprising.

He was pegged by some as a 1st round talent coming out of Georgia, but the Rams managed to select him towards the bottom of the 3rd round, at 84th overall, precisely due to his durability concerns. For a player selected in that draft range, a rotational player that at times flashes huge plays and sticks on your roster for a handful of years on an affordable contract is a pretty good return. The hope was almost surely that Lewis would put his health issues behind him and become a high-calibre starter and draft steal, as some scouting reports suggested was possible, but that has not yet occurred. Lewis will get at least another shot or two to change this - and earn himself a nice second contract in the process, be it from LA or another franchise.

I'll always remember Lewis' clean and absolutely crushing hit on Gronk last season, which injured Gronk for essentially the reminder of Tampa Bay's campaign. That played a huge role in weakening last year's Super Bowl odds for the Bucs, arguable the Rams biggest threat in the NFC in 2021-2022. Brady's propensity to seek Gronk in the red zone and at key moments cannot be understated. It was a textbook tackle and just how the NFL coaches it up.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Old, Ontario, had you two gentlemen been to all the Rams TC's and saw all the snaps, your assessment of Lewis and Hardy would surely be different. Lewis was never on a snap count, played as fast or faster than Hardy, did well in coverage, Hardy was not. Lewis set the edge much better than Hardy and had way better moves rushing the passer.

I'm not saying Hardy doesn't have a high ceiling, just that at the time being he's not near the edge rusher Lewis showed at TC, not even close.

Lewis played a lot of snaps in TC and didn't look to favor his knee at all. He looked like that 1st round talent he was projected to be.

Lewis will be a force to be reckoned with as long as his knee holds up.

dang

Legend
What little I saw of Kier Thomas impressed me. But again I’m easily impressed.

Tano

Legend
What little I saw of Kier Thomas impressed me. But again I’m easily impressed.
1662145133144.png

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Old, Ontario, had you two gentlemen been to all the Rams TC's and saw all the snaps, your assessment of Lewis and Hardy would surely be different. Lewis was never on a snap count, played as fast or faster than Hardy, did well in coverage, Hardy was not. Lewis set the edge much better than Hardy and had way better moves rushing the passer.

I'm not saying Hardy doesn't have a high ceiling, just that at the time being he's not near the edge rusher Lewis showed at TC, not even close.

Lewis played a lot of snaps in TC and didn't look to favor his knee at all. He looked like that 1st round talent he was projected to be.

Lewis will be a force to be reckoned with as long as his knee holds up.
God, I hope you’re right.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't have any desire to beat up on Lewis when he's had a good camp and before he disappears with his inevitable injury. For now there is still that chance he stays healthy and puts up a great season and boy do we need that. If that were to happen this defense would probably finish sub 20ppg and we would be very likely to defend this title.

But I'm also not gonna get my hopes up. All I want from the edge room is good rotation that contains well and gets some pressures here and there off of the solo looks they'll see all year.

nighttrain

Legend
I don't have any desire to beat up on Lewis when he's had a good camp and before he disappears with his inevitable injury. For now there is still that chance he stays healthy and puts up a great season and boy do we need that. If that were to happen this defense would probably finish sub 20ppg and we would be very likely to defend this title.

But I'm also not gonna get my hopes up. All I want from the edge room is good rotation that contains well and gets some pressures here and there off of the solo looks they'll see all year.
big if, but if Lewis can play it could be huge + for Rams
train

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Wasn't there bit of an uprising from Lewis last year because he felt he should be active and playing but Rams staff were keeping him out . . . likely with the long-term of his knee something their thinking about.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He was obviously on a snap count last year. Also the fact the Rams went out and signed Miller showed their view of Lewis at that point.

Practice is one thing, and gameplay is another. Hey, I was all for Lewis when they drafted him. But flashing isn't enough. Too much inconsistency in his play and availability. His lack of speed and explosiveness was apparent last year. That is why he needs to go out there and prove he's a 3 down edge. The fact that they rotated Hollins in on passing downs was telling.

I have more faith in Hollins being that bookend edge. I think Hollins has been underrated to this point. If he stays healthy he could fill that position well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The issue with Lewis is and has always been durability. He's a good athlete who has a lot of length and plays with a lot of power.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The issue with Lewis is and has always been durability. He's a good athlete who has a lot of length and plays with a lot of power.
Sounds like there are other issues.
He was a healthy scratch most of last season, once they got Von.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Sounds like there are other issues.
He was a healthy scratch most of last season, once they got Von.
I did hear there was a minor back issue. I think the team just thought it was better in the long run to give him more time to heal. If nobody gets hurt he stays on the bench. Probably a good call. By all accounts he is doing better than he ever has with the Rams so far.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I did hear there was a minor back issue. I think the team just thought it was better in the long run to give him more time to heal. If nobody gets hurt he stays on the bench. Probably a good call. By all accounts he is doing better than he ever has with the Rams so far.
I haven't heard anything about that but, okay.

I've read the same and am hoping for that. He and Hollins can certainly form a credible rotation opposite Floyd. I hope Kier Thomas can earn a few snaps so we don't overwork Floyd.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Length and power, yes, but a few times I felt concerned about Lewis' angles and lack of speed. Lewis lost contain and let little Kyler Murray beat him to the edge a few times.

Hope Lewis can stay healthy, and I hope another year of experience helps him take better angles to compensate for his average speed. Just my 2 cents.