Tentative Offensive Line going into offseason?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hard to answer not knowing 100% if McVay is going to bring his same scheme from Washington. The problem is Washington loved the outside zone play, and if 2016 taught us anything our social experiment pairing "refrigerators with legs" with zone blocking was a horrendous failure. To a man they lack the lateral quickness, the communication&combos were awful and the backside technique was non-existent. I would love to hear a statement that McVay wants to simplify his run playbook with a more power focus, otherwise it might look a whole lot like last season -- a bad zone base trying to mix in power runs to make up for the base failure. Instead, I'd love to hear about playing to the strengths of our line and not wasting precious camp time trying to teach square one zone blocking technique that our personnel just isn't suited for anyway.

While scheme will help define the extent, there's no question that there needs to be turnover in personnel. I'm somewhat surprised by the Saffold love in this thread -- heck love for any OL after last season's abomination. I think Rams fans need to shake their Stockholm Syndrome now that Fisher is gone and reset their expectations and standards. Too long have we accepted guys that have "a slight chance that maybe he won't suck someday" occupying a starting position or roster spot. What exactly is Saffold's ceiling? "Injury prone and inconsistent with flashes of average"? Sorry that's no longer good enough.

While i'm not exactly Saffold's biggest cheerleader, i'm also not his worst critic. I do agree with much of what you say about matching your system to your players capabilities, I strongly believe that 3 of our front 5 starters should be replaced. Saffold is not among them quite yet, imo. Not only was he our highest graded offensive lineman (PFF) this season, for years he's been expected to bounce from position to position and maintain a superior consistency. True enough he has been an injury risk, but from what I can calculate, mostly when playing OT. Give Saffold a permanent residency at LG, I believe he will perform as desired. After Saffold & Havenstein, the degree of quality play falls off dramatically. jmo.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A lot of what went wrong for the OL last year was due to poor coaching. Trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. No continuity, shuffling players in and out, moving them to different positions, not being held accountable and playing guys that are hurt . All coaching blunders.

All the players drafted in 2015 had 30 or more starts and played 3 years or more at the college level in Div IA schools. They are NOT all busts. They have all shown they can play at in the NFL. Their problem is coaching.

IMHO, the OL coach McSnead hire is one of the most important hires they are going to make. They HAVE to get that right. I don't believe for a second the Rams OL is as bad as it played last year. A good OL coach to play to their strengths and teach them better fundemetals will go a long way. I agree they have to upgrade C. I like Barnes and his determination, but he just gets pushed around. The interior OL was horrible. D guys getting to Gurley before he gets the handoff.

Rams OL will be much improved with better coaching. McSnead better get it fixed or none of their plans for a better offensive production from Goff or Gurley will happen.

IT ALL STARTS UP FRONT

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A lot of what went wrong for the OL last year was due to poor coaching. Trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. No continuity, shuffling players in and out, moving them to different positions, not being held accountable and playing guys that are hurt . All coaching blunders.

All the players drafted in 2015 had 30 or more starts and played 3 years or more at the college level in Div IA schools. They are NOT all busts. They have all shown they can play at in the NFL. Their problem is coaching.

IMHO, the OL coach McSnead hire is one of the most important hires they are going to make. They HAVE to get that right. I don't believe for a second the Rams OL is as bad as it played last year. A good OL coach to play to their strengths and teach them better fundemetals will go a long way. I agree they have to upgrade C. I like Barnes and his determination, but he just gets pushed around. The interior OL was horrible. D guys getting to Gurley before he gets the handoff.

Rams OL will be much improved with better coaching. McSnead better get it fixed or none of their plans for a better offensive production from Goff or Gurley will happen.

IT ALL STARTS UP FRONT

McSnead huh ? I like it, sounds much better than Snisher. :cool:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Need to replace both G's and C this off season. I'd cut Saffold and Barnes at light speed. There are some solid G's available in FA and in the draft. Worst case scenario, i bring back Reynolds on a small 1 or 2 year deal. I don't see Saffold as part of the overal solution or him being worth the money he is paid. I cut him to help send a message to the entire locker room. Perform or you're out. He's been average to poor and he gets a nice check every year. Time to move on IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LT is obviously an issue. That being said - and I'm open to disagreement here - I think moving Saffold back to LT is our best bet unless we pick up a bandage vet or draft pick right now. Saffold is an average LT with huge durability concerns but even I think that places him above Greg Robinson right now. Robinson, due to contract and athletic ability should at least be tried at the guard spot. It would be criminal not to let him have a shot there in training camp.

Brown/Whichmann are JAGS and we could definitely use an upgrade there in FA or draft. I was happy with Havenstein's performance last year but really down on his play this year (some people mentioned the injury that basically kept him out of almost all of camp). I'd give him a pass right now.
Too soon...But I'll play. Since there are no parameters, I'll just do what I like

LT - Garrett Bolles
I've been singing this guys praises for a couple weeks now...I think we can steal him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Maybe 4th, the guy is an ex-DL....One year of major college ball. He has excellent footwork & quickness & length. Seems pretty sharp too, already married. Or is that a negative? Whatever, I really want this kid...I'm hoping we can pick up Bolles & the LB from Florida (Jarred Davis).

LG - Jamon Brown
Now this guy suppossedly has all-pro talent...So a coaching change should do wonders for his game...Either way...he either starts or backups the guard positions. Wichman I had faith in, but can't stay healthy. I'd use Donnall as the primary backup to both guard positions.

C - Jon Toth
6th rounder...potential UDFA...but can start for us...in the first year...Tough, smart, nasty....and durable...Played against those monsters at Bama...Auburn....Tennessee. Held his own. I happened to watch a game of his...vs Florida...And found Jarred Davis. He was blasting Toth on every run...Just taking on the block....ferociously. It was impressive.

RG - Roger Saffold
I like Saffold...think he's our best lineman....but I'm thinking it may be time to move on...We'll see.

RT - Greg Robinson
LT's that can't play the left side usually go to RT. It's that simple. Not sure what was wrong with Havenstein. But I look at footwork...Then I look at how a guy gets beat. Like yesterday, Debo was giving Fisher of KC hell...all game...with bull rushes. Same with Bennett on Matthews. bull rushing...Aviril, #55...all of them, bull rushing Mathews...I don't like guys that play LT getting bull rushed. The DE should be scared to get wrapped up in those arms. Not against Matthews & Fisher. Same with Havenstein. Gets bull rushed...Beat...Tossed around...If he can't beat out Greg...we need to find a backup tackle that can swing to both sides...and that's not Havenstein. Little legs, injured already...seems like a problem. He was our 2nd worst lineman...well, Barnes, and whoever played guard were bad too...He just stood out. RT protection is huge.

that's my tenative offensive line...and I like it a bunch

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LT - Garrett Bolles
I've been singing this guys praises for a couple weeks now...I think we can steal him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Maybe 4th, the guy is an ex-DL....One year of major college ball. He has excellent footwork & quickness & length. Seems pretty sharp too, already married. Or is that a negative? Whatever, I really want this kid...I'm hoping we can pick up Bolles & the LB from Florida (Jarred Davis).

Had him in my first mock and love the kid. Would much rather go this route than free agency for our LT.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
? - ? - ? - ? - Havenstein.

Yeah, I don't know what happened to Havenstein. I assume the same as Gurley. Terrible system and coaching. I would stick with him. He showed something his rookie year. Saffold is ok. Not great but serviceable. The other 3 spots should be re-evaluated and free agents should be brought in. Barnes is a nice leader and a gamer. But he just doesn't have it.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I don't know what happened to Havenstein.
Don't forget injuries. Havenstein couldn't even walk, it was silly to have him on a football field. I suspect it will be confirmed that a lot of the guys (if not all) were playing through significant injuries, including Barnes, so that will factor in to their retention evaluation. The real insanity to me was, where was the next guy up? I mean if Rhaney isn't good enough to step in and be better than the level of what a hobbled Barnes was at, why the hell is he even on the roster? We will never know if it was a lack of talent or stubborn coaching not making changes. Hopefully no more of that...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Battle is gone. KC picked him up.
Last time I checked, Battle was still on the Rams Roster. KC had only made him a Offer, Battle has not taken them up on it yet!

I just checked again, Battle is still listed on the Rams Roster.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://nfltraderumors.co/chiefs-sign-ot-isaiah-battle-lb-dadi-nicolas-futures-deals-add-de-david-king-ps/
Everywhere I look, it says that they signed him. I don't know where you're checking, but the Rams official site is always behind.
What does this " Future/Reserve Contract" mean!?! Does that make him a Future Practice Squad member or what!?! IDK!
I know the Rams official site is always behind. But there have been many changes since this report about KC and Battle first came out.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
What does this " Future/Reserve Contract" mean!?! Does that make him a Future Practice Squad member or what!?! IDK!
I know the Rams official site is always behind. But there have been many changes since this report about KC and Battle first came out.
I'm not quite sure, contract numbers and language elude me. But my guess is that he'll be apart of the Chiefs roster at the beginning of next season. He'll be apart of the 90 man roster, what happens to him after that is an unknown. I think he's no longer eligible for PS. Furthermore, the Rams signed their future players, Battle wasn't one of them.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Before looking at the on field performance he new staff has to see if any of the line was part of the culture problem.