Ten Takeaways from the Rams’ Season-Opening Win Over Arizona

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
By Randy Karraker

1. If the Rams are to become consistent winners, they have to clean up their game. Sunday was exciting, but it was too exciting. They had a touchdown taken away by a Jared Cook fumble as he was going in for a touchdown, and they allowed one of the Arizona touchdowns on a tipped interception return for a score. As far as penalties are concerned, Cortland Finnegan’s second-quarter unnecessary roughness penalty moved the Cardinals from the Rams’ 27 to the 14 to set up a field goal. A third-quarter William Hayes unnecessary roughness after a punt moved the ball from the 15 to the 7, then Cook’s hold moved it back to the three to set up Arizona’s tipped interception. Finnegan’s unnecessary roughness added 15 yards to an 11-play, 83-yard touchdown drive that put the Cardinals up 24-13. Eugene Sims’ taunting penalty in the fourth quarter – after a punt – moved the ball back from the 10 to the 5-yard line. Of the Rams’ seven penalties, four took place after the play and severely hampered their chances of winning. Turnovers and penalties will kill you. The Rams got away with one on Sunday.

2. T.J. McDonald may be the best thumping safety the Rams have had since Toby Wright. When he hits you, you feel it. With each of his four tackles, he laid the wood to a Cardinal. As McDonald grows into his role, he could become a feared defender in the NFL.

3. McDonald’s fellow rookie, Alec Ogletree, led the team with seven tackles. He was all over the field and was impressive against the run. As he ascends, he’ll be a fun player to watch. If Game 1 is any indication, the Rams did a good job in selecting their rookie defenders.

4. Robert Quinn is a beast. He had three of the Rams’ four sacks and applied consistent pressure on Carson Palmer. Quinn has an amazing pass-rushing skill set, and is primed for a huge season of sacking the quarterback. It was nice to see Hayes get rewarded for his hard work with the last one. Once Chris Long gets going, the pass rush that led the NFL in sacks last year will be fierce.

5. The Rams averaged only 2.8 yards per rushing attempt, but Daryl Richardson had 20 carries for 63 yards. If he can do that every week, he’d have a 1,008 yard season. The Rams’ offense could get by very successfully with that type of performance.

6. The Rams would like to improve their third-down efficiency on both sides of the ball. They were just 4-11 on offense, good for 36 percent, and allowed 50 percent to the Cardinals, who picked up seven first downs in 14 attempts. To win, they need to reverse that, allow 36 percent and make 50 percent.

7. Heading into the Monday night games, only six teams scored more than the Rams’ 27 points: Denver with 49, Dallas with 36, Detroit and San Francisco with 34, the New York Giants with 31 and Kansas City with 28. Because of the lack of practice time during the offseason and training camp, opening week is sloppier now than it’s ever been. Even though they only scored two touchdowns, the Rams scored more points than they did in all but three games last season.

8. Love or hate Sam Bradford, he can play when the chips are down. After leading four fourth-quarter comebacks last season, he was 11-13 for 121 and a touchdown and set up Greg Zuerlein’s game-winning field goal with an eight-play, 50-yard drive in the closing minutes, all coming after Arizona had made it 24-13 late in the third quarter. His passer rating after the Cards moved ahead by 11 was 131.08. For good measure, Bradford ran for a game-tying two-point conversion with 13:01 left. For the game, Bradford was 27-38 for 299 yards and two touchdowns, good for a passer rating of 100.7.

9. Bradford has now gone three straight games without being sacked – the last two games last year and this one. Paul Boudreau has done an amazing job of building continuity and technique up front, and it shows. This line is also tough. Rodger Saffold had to leave in the first half but returned, and Jake Long was rolled up in the second half but didn’t miss a play when the Rams called a timeout. The O-line is really a bright spot worth looking forward to as the season unfolds.

10. It’s hard to imagine that there’s a better kicking game in the NFL. Johnny Hekker punted three times for an average of 49 yards and a net of 42, pinning Arizona inside its own 20-yard line once. Zuerlein hit field goals of 36, 25, 38 and 48 yards without a miss. The two kids don’t inspire any trepidation when they take the field, and fit in well with today’s NFL. Games are going to be won in close fashion, and the Rams are set up to win that way with their two young kickers.

Bonus take: As a lifelong St. Louisan and a booster of our community, I was embarrassed that only 55,279 fans showed up, well over 10,000 short of capacity. The Rams have done everything we’ve asked them to do, but fans still aren’t showing up. I hope we’re a better sports city than we showed on Sunday.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Ten Takeaways from the Rams’ Season-Opening Win Over Ari

Thanks Rammer.

I wonder what the poor attendance was all about. I'd think opening day would be a good draw.

bluecoconuts

Legend

X said:
Thanks Rammer.

I wonder what the poor attendance was all about. I'd think opening day would be a good draw.

Same here, that's pretty disappointing, especially since it was a game we were favored to win.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Hard to argue with Karraker there.

Come on fans! BELIEVE!

had

Rookie

Good post. I would just add to #9 that part of Bradford staying clean is, to me, his much improved ability to roll away from pressure and to handle the rush without getting nervous/skittish. I guess we'll really see after he takes a big hit/how he plays immediately after.

I would like to get excited about McDonald. Did you know his dad was a niner? Whatever. Hope the kid lights it up.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

I had no idea it wasn't a sellout, That is a shame. I have grown accustomed to just watching on TV since we haven't had a team in 20 years and I pay no attention to attendance.

RamzFanz

Damnit

bluecoconuts said:
X said:
Thanks Rammer.

Same here, that's pretty disappointing, especially since it was a game we were favored to win.

Roll back 3-0 against the Niners at home and it'll be a whole different story. Sorry dude, but when I try to tell casual fans about the improved Rams, they chuckle. No ones buying it yet.

fearsomefour

Legend

Well, St. Louis is a great baseball town.

Attendence is down all around the NFL (not an excuse). Frankly, while the experience isent as exciting, watching an NFL game (can see them all via NFL Ticket) is a lot easier and more affordable at home.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Cusumano: Rams fan turnout not reflective of team improvements

[5]2660218409001[/5]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2660218409001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.aspx? ... 0218409001</a>

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Think I might be able to partially explain the lack of attendance: there was a Cardinals (baseball) game going on against a division opponent who's playoff-bound (the Pittsburgh Pirates) and who - at the time - were a half-game ahead of us in first place, and the baseball game lasted until a little before halftime because the Cardinals were scoring so many runs.

It doesn't excuse the lack of attendance. It's honestly very disappointing to see the home opener have so few people there. I'm just trying to find an explanation as to why.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

X said:
Thanks Rammer.

Your welcome bro!

Man my thoughts on the attendance is that's pitiful to say the least IMO! The STLouis'ns keep this up I wouldn't be shocked to see them go the way of L.A. tbh.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

The Rammer said:
X said:
Thanks Rammer.

Your welcome bro!

Man my thoughts on the attendance is that's pitiful to say the least IMO! The STLouis'ns keep this up I wouldn't be shocked to see them go the way of L.A. tbh.
Meh. I think the "Show Me State" just wants to be shown. I think there was a Cards game too at that time? Is that correct? And some kind of trade show too? I dunno. I also think that most teams' fans are the same way after years and years (and years) of ineptitude. They get that sinking feeling and don't want to risk shelling out coin to get disappointed. Not really bandwagon fans, but more fiscally frugal fans with emotional issues. lol. Once we start to string together some wins, or prove that we're on the rise, then I think things will turn around like they did during the GSOT days. Those games were filled to beyond capacity.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

X said:
The Rammer said:
X said:
Thanks Rammer.

Your welcome bro!

Meh. I think the "Show Me State" just wants to be shown. I think there was a Cards game too at that time? Is that correct? And some kind of trade show too? I dunno. I also think that most teams' fans are the same way after years and years (and years) of ineptitude. They get that sinking feeling and don't want to risk shelling out coin to get disappointed. Not really bandwagon fans, but more fiscally frugal fans with emotional issues. lol. Once we start to string together some wins, or prove that we're on the rise, then I think things will turn around like they did during the GSOT days. Those games were filled to beyond capacity.

Yeah I hear you brother, I just very frustrated with the attitude there but I agree 100% if they get to rolling they will come. God what I wouldn't give now that I am financially independent to go back to the GSOT days to experience that feeling of the Dome and how it was rocking lol Bet it was incredible to be in the middle of it!

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

X said:
Thanks Rammer.

They had 1,500 more fans than last years home opener and the place was LOUD. Having a Cardinals game at 1:05 didn't help

My belief is that the poor attendance is caused by widespread skepticism by the fan base. 1) It's been years now that there's been a back and forth 'will they or won't they move?' debate that has grown quite tiresome. A lot of times, when there is that much unrest between the ownership and the city, some fans tune out until they know the owner has committed long term to the area. 2) Obviously years and years of losing do not help. Same thing as point #1. If this team starts winning and winning consistently, people will come back. You look at some of those old games in New England in the late 80's/early 90's. Even back into the 70's. They had terrible attendance, so much so they almost moved to St. Lou before Bob Kraft bought the team. Now they sell out every game. A winner helps, a committed owner helps even more. 3) The Dome just isn't the greatest place to watch a football game. People would much rather stay home on their comfy couch with HD TV.

Still disappointed at the number, but the good thing was that the Dome was LOUD on Sunday. The environment can help improve things quite a bit.

RamsNation

Rookie

I wish I lived in St Louis,I'd have season tickets no doubt.And be at every home game

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

I really really wanted to go, but the schedule just wouldn't allow it.

This is the Cardinals. The team that once played in St. Louis. The team where fan favorite Kurt Warner also played. There is history man! They're a tough opponent with a tough defense. To this day I still wonder why they don't sell out every Cardinals game, much less the home opener.

But it is what it is, when the other team named the Cardinals is playing, they will draw people away from any sporting event.

I think the Rams will continue to improve, and the fans will come.