Ten Rams Draft Questions I’m Contemplating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And may differ from round to round.

I don't know what the primary motivation is for any selection. BPA has become somewhat of a fallacy since the rookie cap. BPA by who's standards? After QB, the most important position in the NFL, I don't believe that you can truly determine BPA between a WR and a DE/Edge or between a DT and a RB or a CB and ILB. People may "say" they can but I'd like to see the process explained as to why.

Who's the BPA....Harrison or Latu? Nabers or Latu? Nabers or Fashanu? When you're talking about different positions doesn't the impact of those positions come into play? And a team, like Tennessee (ala Vrabel era) who want to grind and pound the ball on the ground, WR and LT might not be as impactful as C, G or RB. And a team like Miami, right now....WR and LT are probably 1 & 2 behind Tua. New England under Belichick put a premium on defensive players. They acquired their WRs via trade or free agency, often trading down or out of round 1.

How do teams "stack their board"? Is there truly a difference between those top guys or is it like Snead said, "buckets of players"? I think we get hung up on BPA. Not only the similarities in talent but scheme fit and need, not to mention the extreme differences between positions. Like it or not, need plays a huge role in the selection, as it should.

I find it difficult to believe anybody can rank a CB over a LT or an Edge over a WR. Especially the deeper you get in the draft. What I find particularly amusing is there's a BIG BOARD.....but the mocksters assign selections based on need. Everybody says Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison, Jr are 1 and 1a on everybody's board. So why do they mock QB going off the board from 1 to 3? Isn't Harrison better than the next 2 QBs? Because they "need" a QB. And somebody may "need" a LT over a WR. And somebody else may "need" a C over LT or Edge.
Who are you arguing with? I clearly stated that BPA is subjective and varies from team to team. And, of course, when each team sets their boards, there is going to be some consideration of need.

When a team is on the clock, though…they might stick to their board (if everyone did that, the draft would be very fast), or they may take another approach, with consideration of need, runs on/scarcity of desired prospects at certain positions and, of course, trade opportunities.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think one of the strengths of Trader Les is he is always willing and able to position for his targets. Which means he probably avoids reaching moreso than many of his peers in relation to their board.

Also even though the Rams killed it last year there are no guarantees in the draft. They have had poor ones and I think it is a hard science. They may roll the dice on a guy with medical flags like they did with Gurley. They may opt for upside and get burned.

Hoping for another grand slam group with an elite player at the top. But even though I know they are good at their craft the reality of this exercise and law of averages may work against them. McVay will still win too, that is what he does. But there is no guarantee we see another haul with them hitting on so many picks.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Who are you arguing with? I clearly stated that BPA is subjective and varies from team to team. And, of course, when each team sets their boards, there is going to be some consideration of need.

When a team is on the clock, though…they might stick to their board (if everyone did that, the draft would be very fast), or they may take another approach, with consideration of need, runs on/scarcity of desired prospects at certain positions and, of course, trade opportunities.
Not arguing with anybody. Just stating my opinion. BPA, except for QB, has become a fallacy. NEED plays a big part since the rookie cap. When you have a top 5 pick, or even first round pick, you had to go BPA regardless of position or need (if you didn't need a QB). 15 years ago Sam Bradford got 78 mil for 5 years coming off a shoulder injury at Oklahoma. Last year, Bryce Young got half that for 4 years. He was a NEED pick but it didn't kill Carolina like the Bradford contract hurt the Rams. Just saying the rookie cap allows teams to lean even more towards need because they aren't being held hostage anymore. I like it to be honest.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I think Snead takes the top offensive weapon on the board if they stay at 19.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think Snead takes the top offensive weapon on the board if they stay at 19.
You can never rule out offensive weapons with McVay/Snead. I think they're going to go defense (or OT) if they stay at #19. Don't get me wrong (I am, usually), if they take an offensive weapon WR, TE, etc. I won't bitch. I really want that DT but it's an obvious need and folks will say they reached if that's the way they go. My view is, it's never a reach if talent fits need. And surely there are 20 talented guys in this draft.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Great post I think most agree. Prior to FA most felt we were going CB and not securing a OLB makes me think they are eyeing one in the draft. Maybe one of the three will be at #19. I agree if all 3 are gone go CB. None of the Tackles will be there I would only go for Alt and 95% of the money cks have him going to Tennessee at #7 so we would need to trade up with the Giants not sure we could offer a deep enough package nor do I think management feels it is remotely a big enough need compared to OLB. It feels like #8 or #9 is where the 1st OLB goes - again I doubt we have the ammunition nor the will to go for any specific one because none seem to be clear cut heads and tails above the rest like a Myles Garrett type so let the draft come to us.

The wild card pick what if Bowers slides to 19 what do you do?

Hopefully they have a couple key targets that are must haves at 19. I don't see any trade up logic unless it is a couple spot 2-4 to secure a specific OLB.

In the second round I hope we get one of the top ILBs several are supposed to be around where we are picking. This will help with our run D and coverage of RBs/TEs something that will free up to a degree our CBs.

Definitely feel strongly about a RB in the 3rd which should net us one of the top prospects to go along with Kyren. I like Blake Corum love the fight and pedigree but I am sure the scouting dept knows best.

FS with 4.3 type speed it should be our 3rd or 4th pick in the 3rd with RB. I felt our FS play was awful last year Fuller wasn't good and I am glad he left he was always late to the ball and took bad angles we had a bunch of deep plays against us last year this needs to stopped or severely reduced.

We must address the Kicker this is where the team needs to take the best one in the draft period we were hampered by an awful.

We need a returner this seemed to be an afterthought always or not at all.

Rest of the spots fill in - I would not take a developmental QB, no WRs, or IOL

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Does that mean if we take a WR in the 3rd, who has return experience (with success), over a RB or CB it's a good choice?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Great post I think most agree. Prior to FA most felt we were going CB and not securing a OLB makes me think they are eyeing one in the draft. Maybe one of the three will be at #19. I agree if all 3 are gone go CB. None of the Tackles will be there I would only go for Alt and 95% of the money cks have him going to Tennessee at #7 so we would need to trade up with the Giants not sure we could offer a deep enough package nor do I think management feels it is remotely a big enough need compared to OLB. It feels like #8 or #9 is where the 1st OLB goes - again I doubt we have the ammunition nor the will to go for any specific one because none seem to be clear cut heads and tails above the rest like a Myles Garrett type so let the draft come to us.

The wild card pick what if Bowers slides to 19 what do you do?

Hopefully they have a couple key targets that are must haves at 19. I don't see any trade up logic unless it is a couple spot 2-4 to secure a specific OLB.

In the second round I hope we get one of the top ILBs several are supposed to be around where we are picking. This will help with our run D and coverage of RBs/TEs something that will free up to a degree our CBs.

Definitely feel strongly about a RB in the 3rd which should net us one of the top prospects to go along with Kyren. I like Blake Corum love the fight and pedigree but I am sure the scouting dept knows best.

FS with 4.3 type speed it should be our 3rd or 4th pick in the 3rd with RB. I felt our FS play was awful last year Fuller wasn't good and I am glad he left he was always late to the ball and took bad angles we had a bunch of deep plays against us last year this needs to stopped or severely reduced.

We must address the Kicker this is where the team needs to take the best one in the draft period we were hampered by an awful.

Rest of the spots fill in - I would not take a developmental QB, no WRs, or IOL
Bowers is definitely a wild card and I'm not sure McVay would be able to resist taking him.

While I truly love Cooper as a prospect, I think we have much bigger fish to fry with our 2nd round pick (CB, Edge, DL).

3rd is too high to pick a back up RB IMO. Kyren was a top 5 (top 3 if he played all year) RB last year. We really don't need to spend a premium pick on a RB, good ones can be hand a couple rounds later.

There was not a single safety below 4.41, so if that is your criteria, it isn't happening.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It will kill me a little inside if he's there and we pass on him. Just like it will if he goes to Seattle just some picks up the board because he's one of those guys I expect to have a fine career in the NFL. But I think we may see 5 QBs go off the board. Probably a run on tackles. So who knows maybe the Rams have a choice which edge they want and take one who doesn't have a medical concern.

Edge would be great to fill right at the outset, either way. Then CB and DT hopefully in those remaining 3 picks we have up top and we're looking at a much improved defense. If they want to really get crazy then another safety for the mix and maybe an ILB upgrade for next to Jones. I want to see big investment in that side of the ball. I'm a fan who favors having a strong defense, I hate getting run on and love three 'n outs to give Stafford more looks at the opposing defense.
So Latu is your Creed Humphrey? Preach!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think one of the strengths of Trader Les is he is always willing and able to position for his targets. Which means he probably avoids reaching moreso than many of his peers in relation to their board.

Also even though the Rams killed it last year there are no guarantees in the draft. They have had poor ones and I think it is a hard science. They may roll the dice on a guy with medical flags like they did with Gurley. They may opt for upside and get burned.

Hoping for another grand slam group with an elite player at the top. But even though I know they are good at their craft the reality of this exercise and law of averages may work against them. McVay will still win too, that is what he does. But there is no guarantee we see another haul with them hitting on so many picks.
Doubting Thomasita!!!